• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Side Order out now!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Talent Won.

I honestly wonder if Frye will ever get the victory. It honestly feels like she is one of the least liked idols.

At the very least with Pearl, she had a huge Japanese following. And she was always kind of a great meme pick since Marina was more popular. She also had some sauce too, which I know people really like. Plus you know, she's the only other choice so if you hated Marinas option you could always choose differently.

With Frye... It's different. Unlike with Marina and Pearl, I really don't know anyone that hates her. Or really has a strong opinion on her to be honest. I think that seriously damages her chances. Frye unfortunately, seems to be just there.

Talent Won.

I honestly wonder if Frye will ever get the victory. It honestly feels like she is one of the least liked idols.

At the very least with Pearl, she had a huge Japanese following. And she was always kind of a great meme pick since Marina was more popular. She also had some sauce too, which I know people really like. Plus you know, she's the only other choice so if you hated Marinas option you could always choose differently.

With Frye... It's different. Unlike with Marina and Pearl, I really don't know anyone that hates her. Or really has a strong opinion on her to be honest. I think that seriously damages her chances. Frye unfortunately, seems to be just there.
People don't pick based on idol most of the time. She'll get her win someday, when the theme makes her a favorable choice

Last edited:
People don't pick based on idol most of the time. She'll get her win someday
I am not so sure about that. At least for Splatoon 3.

Past games, oh yeah I am sure about that. Considering you have 2 choices. It's either a yes or no. You have to either choose based on idol, or by the choice.

The problem is, with 3 choices, you can choose the least objectionable choice between two idols you like.

Just look at this splatefest! I would think that Fire would be the clear winner of choice. It has the most popular pokemon, constantly has starters like Charizard. And in the case of Scarlet and Violet, Fuecoco is the clear starter of choice. I really feel like if Shiver or Big Man were on Fire, they definitely would have won popularity.

Whats really interesting, is clearly from popularity results. You can see that Shiver chose the most unpopular option. Grass starters have really never been that popular. So she got careened in popularity. But I think instead of choosing the most popular option(Fire), a lot of folks just went to a less objectionable choice and well liked idol. The popularity between the last splatfests and this splatfest really spell a picture.

So we had
Rock paper scizzors
42%-17%-40%
Gear Grub Fun
58%-20%-21%
Grass Fire Water
25%-33%-40%

Now, popularity doesn't say anything. You also need a very dedicated voting base. But I really think Frye isn't going win many splatfest. It's either going to be Shiver or Big Man.

62iupl.jpg

no league?

Going to take a nap on my pile of Super Sea Snail shells till Chill Season

See you at the Sentō squids

ps. Frye, I know we're forehead siblings but I don't think I can do it again

Hello splatoon 3 noob here waiting to pick it up later

Is there any reason I should grab it before the new season drops that I’ll regret in terms of unlocks or is it more of just a content drop?

I really like the weapon designs in this game !

The new weapon seems to be inspired by non-sharpening pencil.

Is there any reason I should grab it before the new season drops that I’ll regret in terms of unlocks or is it more of just a content drop?
Every season has a catalog that has exclusive items that may not be obtainable otherwise until later

The onsen is interesting, it looks like our first V shaped map
so we're ostensibly going to get 14 stages added, leaving us with 26 total

that's three more than splatoon 2
I wouldn't assume anything like that yet when they showed off 1 other brand new map in the direct, datamining hints at The Reef coming, and the notable inclusion of X Rank in the trailer but not League. There is certainly more to the new season than what's just in the trailer but we probably won't know how much for a couple weeks

so we're ostensibly going to get 14 stages added, leaving us with 26 total

that's three more than splatoon 2

Is this based on datamining or just extrapolation from how many catalogues we're getting? (I ask becuase dataminers correctly knew somehow that the next update would have two stages)

Because my honest expectation based on both previous games is that new stages stop being added way before new catalogues, the same way splatfests kept going way longer than new stage updates in those.

Is this based on datamining or just extrapolation from how many catalogues we're getting? (I ask becuase dataminers correctly knew somehow that the next update would have two stages)

Because my honest expectation based on both previous games is that new stages stop being added way before new catalogues, the same way splatfests kept going way longer than new stage updates in those.
just the seasons, so this is a good point

however, I'll be pretty annoyed if the slow burn updates fizzle out the way the fast ones did

Frequently I was seeing the attackers get one Ultra Signal in the tricolor matches I played, but we were seemingly pretty good at making that not matter on team water.

In my experience even if the attackers get two Ultra Signals, as long as they split and one team doesn't get both, the defenders still had a good shot at winning by making aggressive use of their easy access to turf, whereas the defenders had less area available to them once boxed in.

brinewater springs kind of looks like it's from splatoon 4 or something

Was thinking Splatoon 2 myself because I mistook it for a reskinned Skipper Pavilion in the trailer.

just the seasons, so this is a good point

however, I'll be pretty annoyed if the slow burn updates fizzle out the way the fast ones did

I hope that there's a longer tail, because if they stop, I'll be annoyed too.

I just had a look at the stages from 1 that didn't come back in 2, and that list is the following 8 stages:
Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass ,Bluefin Depot, Flounder Heights , Hammerhead Bridge, Museum D'Alfonsino, Mahi-Mahi Resort, Ancho-V Games

Mahi-Mahi, Museum D'Alfonsino and Hammerhead are already in, and now we know Flounder Heights is coming too.
If we get 1 returning splat1/2 stage and 1 new each catalogue, that could mean 4 splat 1 stages, 4 splat 2 and 8 new ones, which wouldn't be terrible. I suspect saltspray would need either significant reworking to come back, so if one was missed, it might be that one? Unlike almost every other splatoon stage, it wasn't symmetric and that caused issues at a competitive level.

(and they should have more room for designing since they're not also making 24 shifty station layouts, which should probably be accounted for in raw stage numbers. Aside: They should have added those to 2's turf war rotations once the whole content release was done. )

Edit: Though thinking about it, Saltspray is about the only map that would naturally actually lend itself well to tricolour...

is that datamined or did they say it somewhere?

Datamines suggest league is coming in 3.0.0, yeah.

It also just occurred to me that once League and X battle are added, all 4 current ranked modes will be accessible at all times.

Which has to be about the weirdest way to let people choose which specific mode that want to play at a given time, I guess?

It also just occurred to me that once League and X battle are added, all 4 current ranked modes will be accessible at all times.

Which has to be about the weirdest way to let people choose which specific mode that want to play at a given time, I guess?
people who are good will get four options, scrub beta cucks like me get three

and because it's a competitive game the good people are being tended to first

The big thing you'd be missing out on are catalogue rewards, which we don't know will ever return. Those rewards include banners, titles, emotes, gear and Tableturf Battle card packs. The big standouts of the current catalogue probably are victory emotes at level 3, 15, 35, 51, 76, 98, and a fresh card pack with one guaranteed fresh rarity card at level 49.

Climbing one level a day isn't too hard, but realistically the higher rewards are out of reach even if you started today.

That update seems…mildly disappointing? Only two stages and 10 alternate kits is pretty weak for the 3 month mark. Happy to see three new weapons and an appearance from Big Run though.

In my experience even if the attackers get two Ultra Signals, as long as they split and one team doesn't get both, the defenders still had a good shot at winning by making aggressive use of their easy access to turf, whereas the defenders had less area available to them once boxed in.
Yeah, compensating for signals on either side wasn't a huge problem, but if they get the one in the middle, then the defenders have basically lost.

That update seems…mildly disappointing? Only two stages and 10 alternate kits is pretty weak for the 3 month mark. Happy to see three new weapons and an appearance from Big Run though.
13 weapons matches Splatoon 2 perfectly, which had 1 weapon a week. I don't mind 1 new stage less either, as long as they actually focus on making the existing stages better too.

The big thing you'd be missing out on are catalogue rewards, which we don't know will ever return. Those rewards include banners, titles, emotes, gear and Tableturf Battle card packs. The big standouts of the current catalogue probably are victory emotes at level 3, 15, 35, 51, 76, 98, and a fresh card pack with one guaranteed fresh rarity card at level 49.

Climbing one level a day isn't too hard, but realistically the higher rewards are out of reach even if you started today.
I could see them dumping the old catalog rewards into the gashapon machine in the lobby.

13 weapons matches Splatoon 2 perfectly, which had 1 weapon a week. I don't mind 1 new stage less either, as long as they actually focus on making the existing stages better too.
I think that this game should be outpacing Splatoon 2 in terms of alternate kits though, given that the base game had none. There are 54 weapons in the game right now; if you don’t like your main’s kit, then you could feasibly end up waiting for over a year to get a new one. Balancing is tricky, I get that, but it’s still disappointing nonetheless.

I would feel better about it if they update some of the currently existing stages though, didn’t really think of that.

I could see them dumping the old catalog rewards into the gashapon machine in the lobby.

That's what I expect for banners and titles, at least. Card packs are already in there, technically.

And Salmon Run provoding a way to attain gear of previous months makes me optimistic they'll find an avenue to bring back seasonal gear and emotes, too.

I think that this game should be outpacing Splatoon 2 in terms of alternate kits though, given that the base game had none. There are 54 weapons in the game right now; if you don’t like your main’s kit, then you could feasibly end up waiting for over a year to get a new one. Balancing is tricky, I get that, but it’s still disappointing nonetheless.

I would feel better about it if they update some of the currently existing stages though, didn’t really think of that.

The other problem is, splatoon 2 had way more weapons than this going in to it's 2.0 patch. Almost a hundred, not counting the hero replica weapons.

Even if it matches the pace from now on, it's going to take a long time to catch up, if it ever does.

Edit: the above may not have been accurate. I assumed the list by leanny was sorted by date when selecting a patch for 2, but it may have included datamined weapons that weren't yet released in 1.4.0

Last edited:
If this is supposed to take The Reef's place I'm gonna scream in Miyamoto's ears.
The onsen is interesting, it looks like our first V shaped map

I wouldn't assume anything like that yet when they showed off 1 other brand new map in the direct, datamining hints at The Reef coming, and the notable inclusion of X Rank in the trailer but not League. There is certainly more to the new season than what's just in the trailer but we probably won't know how much for a couple weeks
League has been datamined for Season 3
Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass ,Bluefin Depot, Flounder Heights , Hammerhead Bridge, Museum D'Alfonsino, Mahi-Mahi Resort, Ancho-V Games
Ancho-V was in 2

Last edited:
Given there's a Splatoon 3 update and most likely new Mario Kart content in December, I guess that's Nintendo getting more NSO money out of me.

This Salmon Run rotation is one smooth ride after lots of struggle comps over recent days. Tools for every task, including multiple fail-safes for glowfly rounds, and every weapon is decently independent. About the only notable negative is a bit of a lack of DPS on Cohozuna.

If not for a weird amount of disconnecting teammates, this woulda been an easy 200 and I might have gone for the 300 badge tomorrow.

Actually prefered high tide on this one. Usually there was still enough room to work with if everyone painted a little. Too many times big shot greed ruined what shaped up to be a perfect shift on mid tide and on low tide you're at the mercy of spawn RNG that the middle doesn't get too cramped to retrieve eggs.

I finally reached eggsecutive a few days ago and my god it’s been so much easier so far compared to profreshional.

Back
Top Bottom