• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So funnily enough playing with a friend who doesn't watch game trailers has opened my eyes that the game fails to explain several things. She had constant questions "how do you draw posts, what's Salmon run" etc and finds it confusing. The friend rooms can also be a little hard to understand for a newbie.
Is the tutorial still there for salmon run?

Question for those that have already played a bit - does the game force you to transfer over your Splatoon 2 data? And if so, what does that entail? Automatically placed in higher online ranks?

It's been so long since I've played Splatoon 2 regularly that I'd much rather just start from scratch again as an absolute newbie. I'm aware that our data is stored on our online accounts this time, so I want to make sure I don't irreversibly transfer over any data that I don't want to.

As Splatoon 2 data was only stored locally, I'll happily just delete my save for that if need be.
The transfer is optional before starting the game. You don't have to delete the Splatoon 2 save data.

That said, all it seems to do for ranking is, if you were B- or higher, it will set you at B- instead of C-.

Question for those that have already played a bit - does the game force you to transfer over your Splatoon 2 data? And if so, what does that entail? Automatically placed in higher online ranks?

It's been so long since I've played Splatoon 2 regularly that I'd much rather just start from scratch again as an absolute newbie. I'm aware that our data is stored on our online accounts this time, so I want to make sure I don't irreversibly transfer over any data that I don't want to.

As Splatoon 2 data was only stored locally, I'll happily just delete my save for that if need be.
No, you can choose to not import it.
You can play Anarchy Battles early and I'm quite sure everyone (with a Splat 2 save file) starts in B- because I was S rank and ended up there and a friend that played less as well. You also get Golden Tickets to unlock weapons that are usually available at higher player levels.

BTW if Splatoon 3 really has less motion smoothing that might explain why I enjoyed the game feel a lot more compared to 2. And it's also why I can't wait to dig in tonight - especially now that I know that the single player is meaty as I hoped for despite people telling me to not hope for it because it was unreasonable of me and the game wasn't for me so give up already!

yes that was a top 2 disappointing fami moment for me and yes i will let it go now

Last edited:
I played a few matches and got wrecked in the beginning. XD Can't wait to play more + grab the new nso icons!!!

The NSO app for Splatoon 3 also looks really good! Looks like a lot of effort was put into it's design!

The day was February 17th 2021, Splatoon 3 was announced and now it's here! Back into the ink. See you in Splatsville!

IMG-20220909-143731.jpg

Just dipping in and out to avoid spoilers to say:

Fuck the bucket!

Not elaborating on it further for now just that Jet Squelcher made that level a breeze. Fuck the bucket and fuck the game for recommending the bucket. Fucket the bucket!

No, you can choose to not import it.
You can play Anarchy Battles early and I'm quite sure everyone (with a Splat 2 save file) starts in B- because I was S rank and ended up there and a friend that played less as well. You also get Golden Tickets to unlock weapons that are usually available at higher player levels.
You have a hidden MMR that transfers over bur everyone B- and above in 2 is B- in 3 too.

Ugh. Best Buy still has not given me my code. It’s been a month. What’s the point of pre ordering a digital copy?
You're having Best Buy issues too? My store isn't sure when my preorder will be ready and I hope it's available before I leave work 🙃

Meanwhile my partner ordered it later than me, is getting it shipped (also from Best Buy!), and will be getting it later today - and I didn't ship mine so that I could avoid a mess like this and just get it in-store, ugh.

You're having Best Buy issues too? My store isn't sure when my preorder will be ready and I hope it's available before I leave work 🙃

Meanwhile my partner ordered it later than me, is getting it shipped (also from Best Buy!), and will be getting it later today - and I didn't ship mine so that I could avoid a mess like this and just get it in-store, ugh.

Yup. Most places when you do a digital pre order it is so you can pre load it. Like, I can go right now and buy it from Best Buy and get a code instantly, but since I pre ordered - I get nothing. Only reason I used Best Buy is because I had Best Buy cash.

Yup. Most places when you do a digital pre order it is so you can pre load it. Like, I can go right now and buy it from Best Buy and get a code instantly, but since I pre ordered - I get nothing. Only reason I used Best Buy is because I had Best Buy cash.
I'm usually lucky - when I get digital it comes on time, and when I get physical (like now), it's available as soon as the store opens. Not today I guess??

First story mode boss was fun and I couldn't stop laughing when
you throw little buddy into the ink vaccum. I feel kinda bad for chucking him about so much lol

I'm usually lucky - when I get digital it comes on time, and when I get physical (like now), it's available as soon as the store opens. Not today I guess??
Guess not. Been trying to connect to an agent for the past 20 minutes lol

this day one update feels like it's taking ages

I think it's great that Nintendo chose to have the cartridges ship with the campaign in a completed state, meaning that it will be playable in the future

So in regards to Sunken Scrolls:
Is there a rule on which stages have them and which don't? I spent ages trying to find one on an earlier stage only to find out there wasn't one

they're hidden in the overworld this time
At first I was a little surprised but now I think it's a good change. Having to hunt around and constantly swivel the camera everywhere in the other games kind of broke up the flow of the level. You're still rewarded for exploration in 3 with Power Eggs and in-level items, but now you don't have to worry about missing anything and you can just play and enjoy the level, like in Octo Expansion.

Sprinted to the end of Hero Mode in almost exactly 5 hours, so I can now live free of fear of spoilers. Feeling mighty heroic this very moment!

Final boss fight from the first Splatoon and the home stretch of Octo Expansion remain unbeaten. The over the top cutscenes in this one were a riot and thanks to them I was grinning ear to ear through what's not a very good fight nonetheless. Still lots of levels left to play, because the game lets you skip so damn much, which means judgment on the whole package will have to wait a good while.

Story mode spoiler
why did they make Big Man so absurdly easy, this is the most boring fight in Splatoon history I didn't even have time to see any of his special attacks (if he has any)

I know it's considered sacrilege on here but the tutorial forcing me to use motion controls just reinforced my desire to never use them again.

EDIT: Don't mind me, I'll just be here scanning amiibo for 20 minutes.

EDIT 2: Nice you get the full amiibo unlocks right away now (or maybe it's because I imported Splatoon 2 data)

Last edited:
At first I was a little surprised but now I think it's a good change. Having to hunt around and constantly swivel the camera everywhere in the other games kind of broke up the flow of the level. You're still rewarded for exploration in 3 with Power Eggs and in-level items, but now you don't have to worry about missing anything and you can just play and enjoy the level, like in Octo Expansion.
Exactly. It also makes the overworld feel more useful, instead of running from level to level. Some of them provide a good challenge too

I know it's considered sacrilege on here but the tutorial forcing me to use motion controls just reinforced my desire to never use them again.

EDIT 2: Nice you get the full amiibo unlocks right away now (or maybe it's because I imported Splatoon 2 data)
You're not alone there. I don't use motion controls either lol

Update for you. Called Best Buy digital services. They are blaming Nintendo for not sending them codes. I am not sure whether to believe them or not because I am seeing people who purchased the game from them today got their code instantly.

Oh, and no refunds lol

They really did the single player campaign a disservice in the marketing. This is the best campaign yet, it has the big hub and story and collectibles. The direct almost wrote it off as a training excercise.

They really did the single player campaign a disservice in the marketing. This is the best campaign yet, it has the big hub and story and collectibles. The direct almost wrote it off as a training excercise.
it's so good

Update for you. Called Best Buy digital services. They are blaming Nintendo for not sending them codes. I am not sure whether to believe them or not because I am seeing people who purchased the game from them today got their code instantly.

Oh, and no refunds lol
I got my own update - the game hasn't arrived at my store yet. The next shipment is coming anywhere from 3 to 4. So now I wait.

...at least the Minecraft Amiibo I also ordered arrived in the store?

I go back and forth. They certainly feel a bit snappier, but I hate contorting my device around in handheld play.
Oh motion controls are definitely superior for aiming, they just feel unnatural to me. I wish it had a pointer system like Wii. Ultimately I don't need them to do well, but I'd be open to using them if I could find some comfortable joycons. I've looked but so far no luck.

agreed I turned those motion controls off immediately

Um I just launched Splatoon 3 for the first time and those user generated messages/drawings aren't displaying above the characters around town (I still see them on the wall). I checked the settings and "display user generated content" is turned on. Town feels super empty without them. Is that how it's always been? I guess it could be because the game is still new.

"Okay, that's it, I'm switching to Roller. Can't hit shit with a normal gun, let me just one-shot people"

switches to Roller

"Can't hit shit with this Roller, wtf"

Can't believe the story mode is so much more in line with Octo Expansion than with Splatoon 1 & 2's story mode lol, I'm so happy about it !
The solo DLC is going to be crazy if the basegame story mode is already this fun.

Spoiler-free single player impressions (post first boss): finally, the world building luxury that previously was primarily invested into the MP has found it's way into the campaign. So many unique assets, great looking materials, awesome animation work and a charming script. Super snappy gameplay, with tutorializing primarily through text boxes that don't interrupt gameplay. Not completely sold on the framing device (levels feel a bit like "test chambers" initially), but we'll see how that ultimately turns out.

MP was... Splatoon MP. Matchmaking doesn't lead to well-matched teams often, which is a bummer. They already said they were looking into this so hopefully this improves. Love the way the shops work - it's so charming to flick from shop to shop.

Final point: the Dutch translator is - once again - injecting a lot of charm into the script. Captain Cuttlefish for example is called "Kraak", which is clever: it's both the name for the Kraken, and for the sound "creak" - obviously referencing to grandpa's joints xD .

When I’m waiting for a for an online match, how do I leave and go back to the city?

The only way I find is going to switch menu and wait ffor the connection to break.

Getting bodied by a baby in Tableturf Battle. Where are my p2w booster packs?

What's the difference between open and series for anarchy battles?

Open can be done with friends, meaning you may come up against pre-mades or get drafted to fill in a pre-made as a solo player. Series are randos only. Rank-up battles must be done in Series, though you can still gain rank points to qualify for a rank-up battle in Open.

I’m a bucket stan.

Buck off!

Back
Top Bottom