• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Splatoon 3 | Review Thread

Where on Earth did I say Splatoon takes away from F-Zero? I said fans of F-Zero want a iterative sequel because it’s been so long since the last entry. Can you at least read what I say before jumping to Splatoon 3’s defense?

I did read your post, but you brought F Zero and I’m a fan of F Zero, but the current discourse amongst many fans of F Zero and other series right now is that Splatoon is an iterative sequel yet Nintendo won’t give a new entry because of some rule (that doesn’t really exist) about no new entries unless there is something new and game changing to shake up the formula in a big way and that apparently Nintendo is just now breaking, which is just plain silly.

I did read your post, but you brought F Zero and I’m a fan of F Zero, but the current discourse amongst many fans of F Zero and other series right now is that Splatoon is an iterative sequel yet Nintendo won’t give a new entry because of some rule (that doesn’t really exist) about no new entries unless there is something new and game changing to shake up the formula in a big way and that apparently Nintendo is just now breaking, which is just plain silly.
I don’t know what fan rule you’re talking about and that still doesn’t explain where I said Splatoon takes away from F-Zero. I saw people on Twitter lose their minds in like July saying that Fire Emblem and Xenoblade were taking away from their Star Foxes and whatever, and I was the one who had to correct people. I’m not the fucking moron you take me for, I know how Nintendo’s teams work. So maybe don’t make up shit I didn’t say just to get mad about it, all because I expressed slight disappointment in Splatoon 3. I expect that sort of stuff from Twitter, not here.

I don’t know what fan rule you’re talking about and that still doesn’t explain where I said Splatoon takes away from F-Zero. I saw people on Twitter lose their minds in like July saying that Fire Emblem and Xenoblade were taking away from their Star Foxes and whatever, and I was the one who had to correct people. I’m not the fucking moron you take me for, I know how Nintendo’s teams work. So maybe don’t make up shit I didn’t say just to get mad about it, all because I expressed slight disappointment in Splatoon 3. I expect that sort of stuff from Twitter, not here.

What the hell are you talking about? You brought up F Zero as an example, and I put it into context on how many fan reactions brings up some sort of rule that does not exist.

You are being overly aggressive here, where my post is not being aggressive and nobody called you a moron or alluded that you were. There is nothing in my post that says "anger". I called it silly.

What the hell are you talking about? You brought up F Zero as an example, and I put it into context on how many fan reactions brings up some sort of rule that does not exist.

You are being overly aggressive here, where my post is not being aggressive and nobody called you a moron or alluded that you were. There is nothing in my post that says "anger". I called it silly.
Because people accusing me of shit I didn’t say is annoying as hell, especially when they accuse me of shit I vehemently disagree with.

On reflection, I'm much more excited to save the £50 and instead get back into Fortnite; the DBZ-themed content they've added to the game this far into its life-cycle is quite remarkable. I'll pass on Splatoon 3 for now, but maybe pick it up in a year or so once more of the extra content is out.

On reflection, I'm much more excited to save the £50 and instead get back into Fortnite; the DBZ-themed content they've added to the game this far into its life-cycle is quite remarkable. I'll pass on Splatoon 3 for now, but maybe pick it up in a year or so once more of the extra content is out.
fortnite is good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Well this thread is a dumpster fire.
Yo it's Splatoon 3 release day! Wondering how the game scores in all the revie....

splb7fla.gif

Yeah it's amazing, absolutely in love with single player. I'll dive in multiplayer after. No posts here can only means the game is addicting!

No posts here can only means the game is addicting!
No it’s just that the GameStop near me ran out of copies and there won’t be more until next week 😩 I really want to try out that single player, been hearing good things about it.

this game is fun
Not only is it fun, but it feels incredibly content rich and is easily the most polished Splatoon title to date.

Just knowing there are more maps, gear, and a full DLC expansion on the way is just the cherry on top.

If I would be a reviewer the singleplayer alone would put this game right at 9-10/10

Single player is great. I liked single player mode in previous titles, but this is better. Like maybe first time that it's worth playing just for that? I don't know, I am not the biggest online player but I have always bought these games for both modes.

Single player is great. I liked single player mode in previous titles, but this is better. Like maybe first time that it's worth playing just for that? I don't know, I am not the biggest online player but I have always bought these games for both modes.
Have you played Octo Expansion? If not, you're missing out!

Famitsu reviews haven't meant anything in a LONG time.
I dunno. I grew up in Japan in the 90s 'reading' Famitsu every week. I always thought the model of four independent, rotating reviewers giving an aggregated score was better at balancing bias/paid advertisement than individual reviewers are. People still mock the Nintendogs review (among others), but I never suspected their reviewers of being anything else other than very Japanese; things like virtual pets mean a lot more in countries where pet ownership is substantially more difficult and expensive.

I dunno. I grew up in Japan in the 90s 'reading' Famitsu every week. I always thought the model of four independent, rotating reviewers giving an aggregated score was better at balancing bias/paid advertisement than individual reviewers are. People still mock the Nintendogs review (among others), but I never suspected their reviewers of being anything else other than very Japanese; things like virtual pets mean a lot more in countries where pet ownership is substantially more difficult and expensive.
It doesn’t help that Nintendogs is a really well made and fun game and there was not much like that before really. And no, Tomagatchi doesn’t count, and Seaman - which I bought day one - barely worked lol

Other reviews talk about why they gave a game a certain score. A set of 4 faceless individuals giving an aggregate score with very little justification that rarely lines up with the consensus holds pretty much no value in my book.

Oh, "the consensus"... don't you dare to have a different opinion.

Oh, "the consensus"... don't you dare to have a different opinion.
That wasn’t my point. The only use Famitsu scores could possibly have is to act as a preview for future scores in the scenario that they release before the embargo is lifted, but given that they never line up with those they hold no value for that.

Instead, it’s just 4 random people plopping a number on a game without backing it up. Their opinions are certainly valid, but as a review publication it’s entirely worthless.

That wasn’t my point. The only use Famitsu scores could possibly have is to act as a preview for future scores in the scenario that they release before the embargo is lifted, but given that they never line up with those they hold no value for that.

Instead, it’s just 4 random people plopping a number on a game without backing it up. Their opinions are certainly valid, but as a review publication it’s entirely worthless.

That wasn't your point but you keep insisting in them "not lining up", like that is a bad thing.

Current reviews landscape, and current gaming press in general, are clearly targeted to a specific consumer which cares and understands about FPS, resolutions, online capabilities, and so on. It's why you can see the exact same type of product receiving the same awards over and over in TGA events where this press has the vote.
It's like the automotive press, which is clearly targeted at automotive enthusiasts but most of the time wouldn't be relevant to the bigger audience that want to buy a car.

The moment a game comes out that doesn't align with what that same press cares about ,that game is basically "dismissed by what that same press considers what's "good" (say, for exemple, Animal Crossing or Ring Fit Adventure). in fact, if someone out of this niche of users happens to value and rate those games, they would be talking about way different aspects of them than you could read in the specialized reviews. Because what those "consensous" reviews are looking into, it's not what more casual gamers care about.

In that way, Famitsu doesn't "line up" with the specialized west press and that's a good thing because they are not targetting the same user group (culturally even) and they are bringing other points to the table that may not align with your needs for a game but may do with many other users. If they think God of War is a 30/40 and Animal Crossing a 40/40 (making up the scores here), why would be that wrong? Just for not aligning with most of the western press?

Also, not having long essays about the game going deep into all the aspects of the final products is not bad per se. Maybe the audience they are targetting are not looking for reading a five pages essay about why any specific game. They are doing their thing and that's perfectly fine. Only ones who cares about press scores lining up are the ones addicted to metacritic aggregates and call out others (mainly EDGE) when they have a different opinion.

Last edited:
In that way, Famitsu doesn't "line up" with the specialized west press and that's a good thing because they are not targetting the same user group (culturally even) and they are bringing other points to the table that may not align with your needs for a game but may do with many other users. If they think God of War is a 30/40 and Animal Crossing a 40/40 (making up the scores here), why would be that wrong? Just for not aligning with most of the western press?
It’s not wrong. I never said it was. Not knowing why they think that is the problem. If your opinion goes against the consensus, you can’t really infer anything from a score. Doesn’t mean it’s a wrong opinion, but it doesn’t hold any value.
Also, not having long essays about the game going deep into all the aspects of the final products is not bad per se. Maybe the audience they are targetting are not looking for reading a five pages essay about why any specific game. They are doing their thing and that's perfectly fine. Only ones who cares about press scores lining up are the ones addicted to metacritic aggregates and call out others (mainly EDGE) when they have a different opinion.
They don’t need to have these long essays, but as it stands Famitsu has no consistent voice. What do they like? What do they value in a game? Do they prefer certain genres?

None of those things can be inferred from a congregated score (which pretty much never dips below 30 to boot). It’s no different than just asking four random people on the internet to drop a number on a game without saying anything about why they gave it that number. Why should anyone trust those numbers, when the reviewers personal tastes may be entirely different than the readers?

I don’t care if Famitsu goes against the grain, they can give whatever scores they want. It’s not about dictating what their scores “should” be. But if they followed consensus, we’d at least be able to infer something about what their voice is. Instead, we have no clue, which is only further compounded by their own scattershot inconsistency. Their scores may as well just be a random number between 30 and 40, because they don’t really say much of anything.

Back
Top Bottom