• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it uh totally does

the Splatoon 2 Direct was on July 6, so maybe we'll get the Splatoon 3 Direct on August 23-25?
The only thing is, we had a June Direcf with Splatoon info that year. We haven't gotten Splatoon 3 info (other than turf war gameplay in May) in a long ass time. Twitter map reveals don't cut it. They need to start hyping the game up.

idk if it'll help reassure anyone, but Splatoon 3 was finally put on the front page of the Dutch Nintendo website (it wasn't even on the page until recently, and it isn't on the German or French websites yet)

unknown.png

The only thing is, we had a June Direcf with Splatoon info that year. We haven't gotten Splatoon 3 info (other than turf war gameplay in May) in a long ass time. Twitter map reveals don't cut it. They need to start hyping the game up.
Nintendo in the middle of August:

yeahivegottime.jpg

While there actually wasn't much Splatoon 2 coverage in the 2017 Nintendo Spotlight, they did have E3 Treehouse segments for it and a Splatoon 2 Invitational with pro players.

The Splatoon 2 marketing spread from announcement to release was much shorter than Splatoon 3, mainly because its marketing was coordinated with the Switch's marketing:

Oct 20th, 2016: Game originally teased, but not yet known to be full sequel.
January 12, 2017: Splatoon 2 officially revealed.
April 12th: Salmon Run Mode reveal in Nintendo Direct.
May 17th: Story Mode trailer attached to an ARMS Direct.
June 12 E3: Treehouse segments + Invitiational
June 30th: Start of Splatoon 2 coverage by Nintendo Minute
July 6th: Splatoon 2 Direct
July 15th: Splatfest World Premiere
July 21st 2017: Launch

(191 Days from announced to launch.)

In comparison for Splatoon 3

Feb 17, 2021: Splatoon 3 revealed in direct.
Sept. 23rd: Story Mode Trailer + Specials Reveal in direct.
Feb 9th, 2022: Salmon Run Next Wave Reveal in direct.
April 22nd: Release date and first full gameplay demonstration of Turf war match.

Sept 9th 2022: Release date.

(569 Days from announced to launch, almost 3x as long.)

Right now we are 36 days from launch. I would expect a pretty big marketing ramp up very soon given the game has not had the benefit of E3 exposure this time. We can likely expect a Splatoon 3 Direct as early as next week but what else will they do?:

• Will we also get a prerelease Testfire or Splatfest?
  • Will they do a treehouse recording for it?
  • Will they do some kind of online invitational with pro players?

- Splatoon 3 is pretty much by itself for Nintendo late summer releases and can get the full marketing focus until they decide to have another general direct.

Last edited:
While there actually wasn't much Splatoon 2 coverage in the 2017 Nintendo Spotlight, they did have E3 Treehouse segments for it and a Splatoon 2 Invitational with pro players.

The Splatoon 2 marketing spread from announcement to release was much shorter than Splatoon 3, mainly because its marketing was coordinated with the Switch's marketing:

January 12, 2017: Splatoon 2 reveal.
April 12th: Salmon Run Mode reveal in Nintendo Direct.
May 17th: Story Mode trailer attached to an ARMS Direct.
June 12 E3: Treehouse segments + Invitiational
June 30th: Start of Splatoon 2 coverage by Nintendo Minute
July 6th: Splatoon 2 Direct
July 15th: Splatfest World Premiere
July 21st 2017: Launch

(191 Days from announced to launch.)

In comparison for Splatoon 3

Feb 17, 2021: Splatoon 3 revealed in direct.
Sept. 23rd: Story Mode Trailer + Specials Reveal in direct.
Feb 9th, 2022: Salmon Run Next Wave Reveal in direct.
April 22nd: Release date and first full gameplay demonstration of Turf war match.

Sept 9th 2022: Release date.

(569 Days from announced to launch, almost 3x as long.)

Right now we are 36 days from launch. I would expect a pretty big marketing ramp up very soon given the game has not had the benefit of E3 exposure this time. We can likely expect a Splatoon 3 Direct as early as next week but what else will they do?:

• Will we also get a prerelease Testfire or Splatfest?
  • Will they do a treehouse recording for it?
  • Will they do some kind of online invitational with pro players?

- Splatoon 3 is pretty much by itself for Nintendo late summer releases and can get the full marketing focus until they decide to have another general direct.

Idk if it's relevant, but for the sake of being thorough, I think a good thing to add might be that Splatoon 2 got teased in the Switch Reveal trailer, October 20th 2016

6 hours earlier than normal?

About the song: I prefer the other C-Side song; this one certainly is .... a choice. Will have to hear it in full, but I'd rather they used the Metalopod singer dude. He'd fit better with this.

That aside though, 'Paint Scraper' is the perfect name for this

splatoonjp with the super early post?????

edit: omega copium but maybe they're posting early bc there's something bigger later??

Last edited:
Whenever this direct is, it has a LOT of expectations to fulfil and it's not going to fulfil all of them. I think at this point it's safe to say a lot of people won't be able to justify purchasing the game to themselves. They'll reveal some big things in the direct, but not (big) enough to pull in everyone who's doubting currently.

Whenever this direct is, it has a LOT of expectations to fulfil and it's not going to fulfil all of them. I think at this point it's safe to say a lot of people won't be able to justify purchasing the game to themselves. They'll reveal some big things in the direct, but not (big) enough to pull in everyone who's doubting currently.

The main issue is the trailer/info roll out has just been too stretched out, with pretty aggressively edited esoteric trailers that, for the more casually interested (who are not typically looking up the twitter/blog/website stuff), does not really clearly explain its new mechanics and changes to the formula.

Don't underestimate the effect of having all the information put together in one place and, assuming it's like the Splatoon 2 Direct, gives a clear and easily digestible run down of its mechanics and changes. I feel that giving a good look at the new hub and shops, campaign structure, host characters, etc will do a lot to solidify this games identity.

Last edited:
The main issue is the trailer/info roll out has just been too stretched out, with pretty aggressively edited esoteric trailers that, for the more casually interested (who are not typically looking up the twitter/blog/website stuff), does not really clearly explain its new mechanics and changes to the formula.

Don't underestimate the effect of having all the information put together in one place and, assuming it's like the Splatoon 2 Direct, gives a clear and easily digestible run down of its mechanics and changes. I feel that giving a good look at the new hub and shops, campaign structure, host characters, etc will do a lot to solidify this games identity.

Yeah, I do think it'll help a lot, however at this point it feels like it's too late to reveal multiple big hooks that will make everyone call it a justified sequel. I feel like they would've shown at least one of the big selling points by now. It'll help put out the fire somewhat, but there will still be plenty of people saying it's just more Splatoon

Nintendo really screwed the marketing on this game. It’s not exactly a small series but it’s not big in the same space as Pokémon, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, etc. I think it could have done a lot more of what could be shown instead of these cryptic trailers that don’t show anything real substantial especially for people that want to see what’s the difference from this being Splatoon 2.5.

imo Japan definitely gonna carry the sales because i barely see any excitement from western online discussion, likely will sell worst everywhere outside of Japan compared to 2.

Like for multiplayer games you want to grow your audience not cripple the possibility of growth.

Yeah, I do think it'll help a lot, however at this point it feels like it's too late to reveal multiple big hooks that will make everyone call it a justified sequel. I feel like they would've shown at least one of the big selling points by now. It'll help put out the fire somewhat, but there will still be plenty of people saying it's just more Splatoon
Because probably it's actually just more Splatoon

I was hoping the single player would be a big deal. Maybe something meaty enough for fans who don't care for online play. I like the world and characters of Splatoon but I'm not big on competitive online play. A good single player campaign could make me interested though.

Putting the vagueness of the expression "just more Splatoon" aside, of course it's going to be more Splatoon, what else is it going to be? It's a successful series with a very unique and specific gameplay hook that it's building on top of. It's not going to radically shift away from the competitive multiplayer focus that has anchored it as one of Nintendo's most popular new IP. As for the "why couldn't it have been DLC" argument, which was also stuck onto Splatoon 2 prior to release, it's kind of a pointless debate since the defining lines that clearly delineate the qualities of a justified sequel for a competitive oriented game are very subjective and I think that argument mainly comes from those who wish the game were not competitively focused. And I can certainly sympathize with that a bit since Splatoon is, by its nature, a very chaotic and intense experience which is not for everyone.

Putting the vagueness of the expression "just more Splatoon" aside, of course it's going to be more Splatoon, what else is it going to be? It's a successful series with a very unique and specific gameplay hook that it's building on top of. It's not going to radically shift away from the competitive multiplayer focus that has anchored it as one of Nintendo's most popular new IP. As for the "why couldn't it have been DLC" argument, which was also stuck onto Splatoon 2 prior to release, it's kind of a pointless debate since the defining lines that clearly delineate the qualities of a justified sequel for a competitive oriented game are very subjective and I think that argument mainly comes from those who wish the game were not competitively focused. And I can certainly sympathize with that a bit since Splatoon is, by its nature, a very chaotic and intense experience which is not for everyone.

I agree with your points here, however my worry is that this is a reputation the game has that may negatively impact sales, even if it's critique that is easily dispelled when you break it down

I don't think we need to worry about people dismissing it for "just being more Splatoon".
Will some people say that? Yeah, almost certainly. But those people were probably never going to buy it anyway.

Splatoon 2 still has a very active userbase. I've never had to wait long for matchmaking no matter which game mode I play. I think Splatoon 3 will sell very well.

I was hoping the single player would be a big deal. Maybe something meaty enough for fans who don't care for online play. I like the world and characters of Splatoon but I'm not big on competitive online play. A good single player campaign could make me interested though.
Have you tried Octo Expansion?

I really like this video analyzing the animations of the Turf War gameplay for two reasons:

1. It shows how many smart and stylish decisions have been made to improve the look and feel of Splatoon
2. It shows that the game was extremely not done in April and that they definitely needed the extra time

I really like this video analyzing the animations of the Turf War gameplay for two reasons:

1. It shows how many smart and stylish decisions have been made to improve the look and feel of Splatoon
2. It shows that the game was extremely not done in April and that they definitely needed the extra time

Yeah, despite many people saying it just looks like Splatoon 2.5, I think when actually playing the game it'll look and feel completely different. Just looking at gameplay might not be very convincing, but when you get immersed you'll start noticing and feeling all these little changes.

EDIT: the only thing I wish they'd do is add some refreshing new sounds. Even a lot of the new things reuse old sound effects and it bothers me slightly.

Last edited:
Hmm. If Splatoon 2 was seen as Splatoon 1.5, and Splatoon 3 is being seen as Splatoon 2.5, does this make Splatoon 3 actually Splatoon 2? 🤔

In all seriousness, while I'm excited to see more with a potential Splatoon 3 Direct, it's kind of a shame that for as fresh and innovative Splatoon 1 was, both of its sequels can't completely escape the labels of being "just more Splatoon," even with their metagame modifications.

Hmm. If Splatoon 2 was seen as Splatoon 1.5, and Splatoon 3 is being seen as Splatoon 2.5, does this make Splatoon 3 actually Splatoon 2? 🤔

In all seriousness, while I'm excited to see more with a potential Splatoon 3 Direct, it's kind of a shame that for as fresh and innovative Splatoon 1 was, both of its sequels can't completely escape the labels of being "just more Splatoon," even with their metagame modifications.
Outside looking in, it's just Nintendo's COD in a sense, just choose your fav COD dev and there you go lol.

Next week is substantial information time. Gotta have that Direct, Edited video or Twitter!

Fans are worried about Splatoon 3, here is why

First let me say I'm a huge fan of Splatoon. I played tons of matches on the Nintendo Wii and even got into competitive for a while, the game just never got boring even through my massive playtime of 40 minutes. Then Splatoon 2 came along and while it was still very hype, it felt like it lost a bit of that unique charm from the first game on top of being very similar. In the end I never bought the game because I felt like I already experienced all it had to offer from the Testfire before launch.

Now Nintendo has announced Splatoon 3 to be released this September, and all Splatoon fans are asking the same question: why do we even need a new game on the Switch when we already have Splatoon 2? After all it's only been 5 years since Splatoon 2, as it looks it's probably fair to say that Nintendo is trying to make this their own Call of Duty. It's way too soon for a sequel and it shows: try showing Splatoon 3 trailers to your grandparents and then ask them what the differences are between Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3. Chances are, they won't be able to answer that question. Parallels with Blizzard's Overwatch 2 just draw themselves: why didn't Nintendo make this DLC?

Nintendo's recent history with unfinished games is another cause for concern, is Splatoon 3 gonna be as bare-bones in content as Mario Strikers: Battle League and Nintendo Switch Sports? It certainly does seem like it since the game already has a release date and its preorder page is up on the Nintendo eShop, which means that Nintendo has already shown everything about the game. Does this mean that Breath of the Wild 2 will be unfinished too? And why is Nintendo taking resources away from Mario Kart 9 to make Splatoon 3?

It's really sad to see such an innovative new IP be killed with cash-grab sequels that don't bring anything new. Just imagine what could have been if Nintendo added a Battle Royale mode or made the single-player campaign fully open-world.

Another friendly reminder that we didn't know about idols, any new weapons besides splat dualies, and about half of the launch stages and way more until the Splatoon 2 direct

We had basically the exact same amount of info on Splatoon 2 at this point. The only advantage we had then was that they already held a testfire earlier in the year.

I'd say at least, wait until after the Direct before you judge. A new installment after 5 years seems reasonable to me. Why are people calling the game Nintendo's COD already? Do people want Nintendo to turn Splatoon into a service game or something?

I don't undestand the "unjustified sequel" talk either. New region, new story, new mechanics, new music and characters, with much more stuff has yet to be revealed. How are they going to sell all this as DLC?

Yeah, no point in doomposting atm when we're likely getting something this week. Let's see what they've got and base our level of excitement/despair off that

Another friendly reminder that we didn't know about idols, any new weapons besides splat dualies, and about half of the launch stages and way more until the Splatoon 2 direct

We had basically the exact same amount of info on Splatoon 2 at this point. The only advantage we had then was that they already held a testfire earlier in the year.
It was the same thing with the first Splatoon as well. Barely anything was known about the game until the Direct a few weeks before release. That's why I'm not too troubled about the lack of new info, now if it's late August and we still haven't had a Direct or any new info whatsoever then I'll be concerned.

I will say this though, if there was a really big hook I think it would've been shown by now. I'm sure we'll get some really nice new stuff, maybe a new ranked mode and things like that, but I don't think we'll get a new mode on the scale of salmon run or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom