• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenoblade had a new game in 2015, another one in 2017 and now a third in 2022, so it's the exact same release scheduling as Splatoon plus a port in 2015, Torna in 2018 and a remaster in 2020. That's way more than Splatoon if you count what we got besides the core games and I've not once heard anyone accuse Nintendo of milking Xenoblade.
Fair. I just hope we can get this same type of output for let’s say ARMS. Usually a newer IP doesn’t get this many games so quickly. It was 14 months between the first splatoon and the second one.

Fair. I just hope we can get this same type of output for let’s say ARMS. Usually a newer IP doesn’t get this many games so quickly. It was 14 months between the first splatoon and the second one.
the chief difference here is that splatoon is incredible and arms, though I do like it for what it is, is not

When they start to talk about the maps i can see them tweet “all the Maps from previous games will be returning for Splatoon 3”
Zero chance there will be that many in the end and they would not announce that anyway given how they dole out maps over the course of the games' life. Even with years of support it will probably top out at 30 maps at most (which seems like a likely albeit relatively high stopping point given the game's whole 3 obsession thus far) and there's already 31 maps in the series without any additional ones to come in 3. If it does end up being 30, distribution would probably be something like 14 new (same amount as 2), 9 returning from 2 (same amount that returned from 1 in 2), and 7 returning from 1.

As far as what stages will return, I'd expect all the remaining 1 maps except Saltspray, Hammerhead, and Urchin (so Mahi-Mahi, Flounder, & Bluefin along with Museum) plus a few maps that were in 2 as well (Moray, Ancho-V, and Piranha Pit seem most likely to me). For 2, Manta Maria is all but guaranteed since it has so many walls for squid surge, Skipper Pavilion for its weird layout, Wahoo World for the neat extending/retracting platforms, and Mako Mart because it's by far the most popular stage from 2. Plus a few of the launch stages (my gut says Sturgeon, Humpback, and Reef).

Last edited:
Bring back the kraken.

I use a roller (I've only played 3000 hours, don't ask me to name things or anything!) with the beacons and burst-ball thing, which was a close enough alternative. However, both are really prone to being bounced off stages. I do know that most special weapons do have room to be out-maneuvered, but my god does that roller ball feel so weak when being shot at to bursting point or halted by being shot at. Kraken can travel up walls at angles, which is a severe limitation of my current special. So yeah, I want that kraken/beacon combo back.

And yeah, Saltspray (although I do worry about how horrible the deadlock would be) and Flanders to re-join the rotation please.

Bring back the kraken.

I use a roller (I've only played 3000 hours, don't ask me to name things or anything!) with the beacons and burst-ball thing, which was a close enough alternative. However, both are really prone to being bounced off stages. I do know that most special weapons do have room to be out-maneuvered, but my god does that roller ball feel so weak when being shot at to bursting point or halted by being shot at. Kraken can travel up walls at angles, which is a severe limitation of my current special. So yeah, I want that kraken/beacon combo back.

And yeah, Saltspray (although I do worry about how horrible the deadlock would be) and Flanders to re-join the rotation please.

I think the alternate roller will get crab tank to mimic the baller. Personally, I'm more than happy with the default roller kit. Curling bomb is absolutely necessary on it if you want to play aggressively, and the big bubbler will let you protect yourself and stall when you're deep in enemy territory. (There's also seemingly a beakon inside the big bubbler, so maybe you could go deep in and let your teammates superjump into the bubble?)

Bring back the kraken.

Kraken is one of two specials from Splatoon 1 we haven't seen a spiritual successor of in Splatoon 3 yet.

Crab Tank shares the transform gimmick and the movement from Baller, but doesn't fill the same role as close range "Oh shit!" button. In that way Splashdown and Ultra Stamp (or even Ink Jet) are more directly related to Kraken than Baller. At least Splatoon 2 has kept experimenting with Kraken-style specials, so I still expect its iconic original form or a new iteration to show up in Splatoon 3, if not on release then alongside post-launch weapon sets, as the team has shown a clear interest in the basic concept.

Which can't be said for Splatoon 1's other forgotten special, Echolocator.

Last edited:
Subjective and opinionated but okay.
It's subjective, but what's objective is that Splatoon 1, a new IP, sold 5 million copies on a failing console, and Splatoon 2 sold 12 million, while ARMS sold 2 million.

The difference is, ARMS is a series that has lukewarm critical and consumer reception. Arms also didn't sell nearly as well as Splatoon...

For a manufacturer like Nintendo, you need either one or the other.

Meanwhile, Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises ever, and were in Nintendo's best selling games for the Wii U and the Switch. The only games that have sold better than it are the big juggernauts, the ones with Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing on the box. Even then, you could say Splatoon 2 was hampered by a low install base at the time.

And to be quite honest, ARMS doesn't really fit any good niche in Switch's lineup nowadays. I mean, it is a fighting game, where Nintendo has Smash Bros. ARMS was probably a more expensive games than your average Xenoblade of Fire Emblem too. Considering the massive amount of work using and upkeeping an online game is. Also, I seriously doubt that many people are still playing ARMS nowadays. Player metrics and retention are super important for online games, and if I were to hazard a guess, their numbers are probably bleak. Nintendo's other online games like Mariokart, Splatoon 2, Smash, even more obscure games like Mario Tennis Aces, there are no problems getting into a game. With Arms though, last time I tried it, it was incredibly embarrassing. It took like 20 minutes to get into a game.

FSEC_yNXsAAO5e0

Bigger image from the JP Twitter today, showing off the name tag and title. This sort of stuff fits perfectly in Splatoon

Regardless of how different it is or isn't from Splatoon 2, the graphics are pretty good. I wonder if anyone's done a comparison with Splat 2.

So I popped in Splatoon 2 and playing with my daughter. The game concept is amazing and i love it. But having to pass controllers back and forth and say it’s your turn is frustrating. I can’t purchase another game in this series until there is local split screen multiplayer. It just feels unfinished to me. Hopefully at this rate we will get splatoon 4 whenever new hardware is available and they can add that feature. Very disappointing.

So I popped in Splatoon 2 and playing with my daughter. The game concept is amazing and i love it. But having to pass controllers back and forth and say it’s your turn is frustrating. I can’t purchase another game in this series until there is local split screen multiplayer. It just feels unfinished to me. Hopefully at this rate we will get splatoon 4 whenever new hardware is available and they can add that feature. Very disappointing.
The first game had a very limited split screen mode, and it was pretty bad. Part of that came down to some Wii U controller weirdness (and not just in the obvious ways), but it's also just not a very split screen friendly game. They've explicitly moved away from that, and it's a decision that probably makes sense in a game where the majority of modes are built around having too many players to ever have them on a single screen. On Switch, they do have the inputs to theoretically handle multiple unconstrained players on a system, but it would almost certainly not be a trivial addition. One person per system is always going to be the primary way to play the game, and I don't think the developers are wrong to focus entirely on that experience.

I also wonder if we'll finally get to spectate matches? I'd love that feature, especially if like good old Mario Kart 8 TV on the Wii U you could swap players.

The difference is, ARMS is a series that has lukewarm critical and consumer reception. Arms also didn't sell nearly as well as Splatoon...

For a manufacturer like Nintendo, you need either one or the other.

Meanwhile, Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises ever, and were in Nintendo's best selling games for the Wii U and the Switch. The only games that have sold better than it are the big juggernauts, the ones with Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing on the box. Even then, you could say Splatoon 2 was hampered by a low install base at the time.

And to be quite honest, ARMS doesn't really fit any good niche in Switch's lineup nowadays. I mean, it is a fighting game, where Nintendo has Smash Bros. ARMS was probably a more expensive games than your average Xenoblade of Fire Emblem too. Considering the massive amount of work using and upkeeping an online game is. Also, I seriously doubt that many people are still playing ARMS nowadays. Player metrics and retention are super important for online games, and if I were to hazard a guess, their numbers are probably bleak. Nintendo's other online games like Mariokart, Splatoon 2, Smash, even more obscure games like Mario Tennis Aces, there are no problems getting into a game. With Arms though, last time I tried it, it was incredibly embarrassing. It took like 20 minutes to get into a game.
Smash Bros & Arms can coexist in the same genre like other types of games; much like how F-Zero & Mario Kart can coexist if the former is ever made.

I doubt Nintendo broke the bank with keeping Arms around considering some of the other types of games Nintendo has kept online; for instance the multiplayer Kirby games—one of which is a Smash Bros clone.

I’m also not sure why whenever Arms is brought up we compare it to Splatoon. Like by this logic every new ip that comes out needs to hit Splatoon numbers to be successful. Splatoon is an anomaly at this point for how it did & was received. Reception for Arms is pretty solid for a new out there fighting game plus commercially it did fine.

IMO the game probably needs a sequel to see how the franchise will swing. There is plenty of things they can do to appeal to a wider audience while also still having the things enthusiasts like about the first game. That and see if they can get their multimedia projects off the ground this time.

The first game had a very limited split screen mode, and it was pretty bad. Part of that came down to some Wii U controller weirdness (and not just in the obvious ways), but it's also just not a very split screen friendly game. They've explicitly moved away from that, and it's a decision that probably makes sense in a game where the majority of modes are built around having too many players to ever have them on a single screen. On Switch, they do have the inputs to theoretically handle multiple unconstrained players on a system, but it would almost certainly not be a trivial addition. One person per system is always going to be the primary way to play the game, and I don't think the developers are wrong to focus entirely on that experience.
I just think with modern “shooter” type games it should be mandatory or at least give me the option. When I want to play cod with my son we hop on together and play split screen. To not have that option after the 3rd game in the series is disappointing for me. I’m sure I’m in the minority at least on this site but it takes away from the fun or sharing the game with others.

It happened the other way around here. Repeatedly.
I mean I’m not in the particular weeds at this point of what started it just that it has been a consistent theme whenever either of these franchises are brought up. Splatoon is an anomaly so I just don’t think the comparison is all that great nor productive since the two genres have different software sales paths.

Splatoon will probably never support split screen play in the main multiplayer modes because of its HUD and map. In turf war at least it's easy to imagine putting the squidboard at the center of the screen but I think adding the ranked mode scoreboards below that would make things much too crowded. The map of course would have to be completely redesigned to fit half the screen and I don't see how that could ever feel good to use, it would be so hard to jump to locate a beakon to jump to and whatnot. Salmon Run on the other hand is plausible though I would bet it would still be quite difficult to implement for performance reasons.

Splatoon will probably never support split screen play in the main multiplayer modes because of its HUD and map. In turf war at least it's easy to imagine putting the squidboard at the center of the screen but I think adding the ranked mode scoreboards below that would make things much too crowded. The map of course would have to be completely redesigned to fit half the screen and I don't see how that could ever feel good to use, it would be so hard to jump to locate a beakon to jump to and whatnot. Salmon Run on the other hand is plausible though I would bet it would still be quite difficult to implement for performance reasons.
When I first heard of salmon run I just knew this was going to be their local multiplayer mode. Was very disappointed with that. Just seems like Nintendo images is such a family friend everyone okay together it’s frustrating this doesn’t have a real option for that other than passing a main controller around a group of people.

On topic is there a summary anywhere on the actual changes or upgrades from 2 to 3?

When I first heard of salmon run I just knew this was going to be their local multiplayer mode. Was very disappointed with that. Just seems like Nintendo images is such a family friend everyone okay together it’s frustrating this doesn’t have a real option for that other than passing a main controller around a group of people.
The game contains fairly extensive options for local multiplayer, just not on a single system. Its local multiplayer is patterned more off of handheld games because that more closely mimics the primary online experience.

Our game-theory experts say that if you can attain the high ground with one of these, you're "going to go all splat-a-tat-tat on the other team." Is game theory science? We're no longer sure.
It's a lightweight charger that charges so quickly we hesitate to even call it a charger! (But to be technically correct, we will continue to do so.)

And people dare ask why we needed Splatoon 3. Squid Research Lab tweets are the greatest pre-release video game content we have since we no longer get to enjoy Sakurai's Smash trailers.

Until today's charger related tweets, I didn't realize they went back to the S1 design of the E-liter. They still call it the 4K though lol.

Really like the color choices for the Squiffer and Charger as well.

They have quite robust local multiplayer options with multiple Switches, even without split screen. I don't think there's any single cart play, though... but when Splatoon 2 launched, we were at a convention, and spent a bunch of time at tables playing local Salmon Run matches with people in the Shoal.

As far as a full list of changes from 2 to 3? I don't think this is something we will get. They constantly tweak things to make the game a bit more fair, so any sort of exhaustive "differences" list will be outmoded pretty fast haha. For example, 2 today is a much different feeling game than 2 at launch. But around the time of the test fire & launch, it was pretty clear that like, specials were more for area control than directly attacking people. These kinds of things will mostly only pop up on Forums & YouTube videos, though. But there's a pretty dedicated community who will be able to show these things.

They will do a bigger blowout on the weapons, specials, progression, modes, etc. a few weeks before launch in a full Splatoon 3 Direct. They'll keep dropping bits of information on the Twitter account every day or two in the meantime. Maybe in June we get a tournament and/or a test fire around the time of their June Direct?

Seems they haven't changed much with them mechanically, which is fine by me. I like the translucent blue and the inverted spray bottle.
I noticed both the JP and NA tweet mention the squiffer is a "lightweight" charger. Maybe they made it lightweight, instead of the medium weight it is in Splat 2?

I noticed both the JP and NA tweet mention the squiffer is a "lightweight" charger. Maybe they made it lightweight, instead of the medium weight it is in Splat 2?
That'd be welcome. I certainly haven't seen anyone complain that the squiffer is OP lol.

For those unaware, weight is a hidden thing with weapons that affects movement speed. In Splatoon 2, there were three distinct classes (light/medium/heavy).

I wonder if these weapon renders in the tweets are how we can see them in game / in the shops. They look pretty slick

I just think with modern “shooter” type games it should be mandatory or at least give me the option. When I want to play cod with my son we hop on together and play split screen. To not have that option after the 3rd game in the series is disappointing for me. I’m sure I’m in the minority at least on this site but it takes away from the fun or sharing the game with others.

Is in the same boat as you a few years ago. All I'll say is that the Switch lite was worth it in the long run.

That'd be welcome. I certainly haven't seen anyone complain that the squiffer is OP lol.

For those unaware, weight is a hidden thing with weapons that affects movement speed. In Splatoon 2, there were three distinct classes (light/medium/heavy).
While I don't think the Squifer is OP, it's extremely good as it is right now, so I don't think it needs a buff.
Squiffer mains be like B B B B :p

Hmm...I don't know if this is better than the usual sensor sub in 2.

It looks to do about 30-40 damage at the same time it targets. Reminds me of the burst bomb. This sub weapon could be really dangerous on a lot of weapon sets. At the same time, marking the enemy while doing damage is really great. If you don't quite finish them off, one of your teammates can.

Hmm...I don't know if this is better than the usual sensor sub in 2.

It can't be used around walls in the same way point sensors can, but it's looking to me like it is overall better. If it's actually doing 20-30 damage, that's kinda crazy for how fast it comes out.

The aesthetics of the Angle Shooter and the Killer Wail 5.1 are a series low-point. Please be terrible and bad and wholly underpowered so I barely ever have to see those unappealing eyesores in most matches.

It can't be used around walls in the same way point sensors can, but it's looking to me like it is overall better. If it's actually doing 20-30 damage, that's kinda crazy for how fast it comes out.
I'm already thinking of all the synergies it'll have depending on how much damage it does haha, bamboo and rapid blaster directs do 85 for instance so you could combo the marker with those if it does 15 damage or more

The aesthetics of the Angle Shooter and the Killer Wail 5.1 are a series low-point. Please be terrible and bad and wholly underpowered so I barely ever have to see those unappealing eyesores in most matches.
Angle Shooter is a whack name, though if it's on the Classic Squiffer I'll probably be using it a ton.

Killer Wail 5.1 is hilarious and totally on-brand tho, you take that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom