• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Sony has broken Nintendo’s 33 consecutive month streak of top hardware sales in the US.

We shall see. I’m sure Nintendo is hoping so. Again if OLED doesn’t sell well enough to keep momentum then it’s going to be interesting
Long term prospects of OLED are absolutely worth debating, given the unprecedented nature of its release timing and pricing strategy, but you are out of your mind if you don’t think launch month sales will be great.

so far, the OLED model is heavily supply constrained. the launch shipment covered preorders with few left for walk ins
Oh right I forgot about supply constraints, yeah that will cut the possible sales by a considerable amount

Time to put the gif again

i577Ise.gif

Ripperoni, we had a good run.

Jokes aside, it's an impressive winning streak. Wonder how OLED stock will manage.

Difficult to call how things will shake down November-December. Definitely think it will come down to how much supply Sony can pump out. Microsoft too; very interested in what Halo Infinite can do to push sales on the Xbox side of things.

Difficult to call how things will shake down November-December. Definitely think it will come down to how much supply Sony can pump out. Microsoft too; very interested in what Halo Infinite can do to push sales on the Xbox side of things.
It's not really difficult to call at all.

Switch will win October, November and December handily.

Impressive result for Playstation 5.

Also an impressive streak for Switch, although a part of me wanted it to last at least three more months to get that clean 3 year streak for the record books.

3 years is quite impressive!

Considering that PS5 and Series X are the new consoles, they should be the ones getting better sales than Switch which is already 5 years old. Switch is losing its momentum and this was expected to happen someday.

And then you remember the OLED model was released last week...

thumbnail for the next 48 hours for all the low quality youtubers :

mario-sad-header.jpeg
I'd like to see the faces of these guys when October sales become public and Nintendo is back at the TOP 1 because of the new model...

I really doubt this will happen.

It's PS5 momentum imho, imagine if there's no shortages, market will explode.
Even if we assume that the only reason Switch can lead a month over PS5 is due to the latter's shortages, which I think is up for debate, is there anything to suggest that these shortages are going to stop being a thing for the next three months?

All else aside, December NPD is highly likely to got to Switch if history is of any indication.

I think it won't be until 2022 when sales comparisons get truly interesting between these two systems, as big PS5 titles start to drop and supply constraints become less of a problem.

Considering that PS5 and Series X are the new consoles, they should be the ones getting better sales than Switch which is already 5 years old. Switch is losing its momentum and this was expected to happen someday.
There are massive chip shortages and supply restraints, If there weren't the sales would be multiple times higher for those consoles

Was bound to happen at some point eventually. Even when the PS4 had stronger worldwide sales overall above the Switch, the Switch still won a month here and there, no?

That "dollar sales" aspect always seems silly. Surely profit per unit would be the thing to zoom in on, albeit impossible without a full disclosure of this from the companies.

Hot take: PS5 demand is large, but low supply and the scalping market is absolutely contributing to the current overwhelming demand. I don’t think we’re looking at a Wii like phenomenon here and I predict once Sony is able to provide a consistent stream of hardware, demand will level relatively quickly.

Switch is selling well, PS5 is selling well, Xbox is selling well, PC games are selling well.
This industry is in its best moment ever.

There is space for everybody right now.

PS5 has massive third party support + all those amazing Sony games
XBox has the best service in the market with game pass, good third party support and good 1st games
Switch has a decent third party support, + all those unparalleled Nintendo's games that not only you can't find anywhere else, but you also can't find similar anywhere else
PC.... well PC has almost everything (but Nintendo and some sony games)

I think it can reach 150mi when it's all said and done. This industry is way healthier than it was 3 years ago when PS4 was in its prime years.
It depends on if Sony keeps the legs going. PS2 reached as high as it did because it lived almost as long after the PS3 came out as it did before it did. PS4 would absolutely have gotten to at least 140 million easily at its trajectory if Sony had followed a similar strategy of price cuts and maintaining it as a budget option after the successor is out. However, they chose not to do that.

If they choose to follow the PS4 model with the PS5 rather than the PS2 model, then no, I don't see it getting to 150 million. If they choose to give it a PS2 style extended life cycle, it can and will reach that number.

Last edited:
It depends on if Sony keeps the legs going. PS2 reached as high as it did because I lived almost as long after the PS3 came out as it did before it did. PS4 would absolutely have gotten to at least 140 million easily at its trajectory if Sony had followed a similar strategy of price cuts and maintaining it as a budget option after the successor is out. However, they chose not to do that.

If they choose to follow the PS4 model with the PS5 rather than the PS2 model, then no, I don't see it getting to 150 million. If they choose to give it a PS2 style extended life cycle, it can and will reach that number.
I can see this gen reaching the next 8 years easily. The graphics improvements are getting less obvious each gen, the chip shortage is making the transition even slower and games are taking longer and longer to be made. Plus Sony's support their console really well, when you get a Playstation you know you'll have a long period of games being released for it.

October = Switch will win because of OLED version and Metroid Dread
November = 50/50 but i think Switch will win once again thanks to the Pokemon game(10-15M seller) + Mario Party All-Stars(10M seller)
December = Switch will win because this month is a traditionally Nintendo month

I feel like they all do know why it happened, but just decided to ignore it and run with "PS5 Superiority" to enjoy the spotlight while it last.

maybe im wrong but 80/20 Chances its due to Late September sales slowing down as people waited for OLED

Shortage itself its also a sales driver. the FOMO makes people anxious and they get into overdrive to get a console whenever soon as possible cause "dont know when else will be able if they miss a chance"

I feel like they all do know why it happened, but just decided to ignore it and run with "PS5 Superiority" to enjoy the spotlight while it last.

maybe im wrong but 80/20 Chances its due to Late September sales slowing down as people waited for OLED
Who's they?

aint that the way to refer to peoeple in general?? or did I mess up??
It is, but in this case your post implied that there was a concerted effort to frame the news in a certain way, which can't just be referring to a general group of people, right?

Back
Top Bottom