• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Sony has broken Nintendo’s 33 consecutive month streak of top hardware sales in the US.

Nintendo should have just released the Switch Pro and this wouldn't have happened!

it's probably because they were launching the OLED

PS5 has been doing amazingly well with limited releases - I think fast loading has been a huge selling point to folk.

Should mean for some crazy numbers in Q4.

Makes sense, month right before a highly marketed revision launches.

Now I get the distinct feeling that this month’s NPD figures will mysteriously generate a lot more interest and coverage in the enthusiast community than usual…

Where are these people even finding PS5s to buy?! I call shenanigans! I’ll get one, one day.

Joking aside, OLED may put Nintendo back on top. I’m certainly getting one as soon as I can find one to buy. XD

thumbnail for the next 48 hours for all the low quality youtubers :

mario-sad-header.jpeg

Makes sense, month right before a highly marketed revision launches.

Now I get the distinct feeling that this month’s NPD figures will mysteriously generate a lot more interest and coverage in the enthusiast community than usual…
There isn’t even an NPD thread on Era yet, due to the complete absence of a dedicated sales community on that site anymore.

It’s almost as if driving away valuable members of a community has an impact…

There isn’t even an NPD thread on Era yet, due to the complete absence of a dedicated sales community on that site anymore.

A shame since this would be the only month the thread would be active on the site due to Sony "winning".

Yuuuuup. It’s been close to an hour, too.

Makes sense.

September was a really light month for Nintendo releases, you really just had Warioware. And you had the Oled and Dread right around the corner. It's a shame though, would have loved for it to at least hit a clean 36, but all good things must come to an end.

Which is a bummer because if ever there was an NPD thread that would have generated discussion, it would be this one lol. So much to discuss! Tales of Arise! Deathloop! Sonic Colors! Lost Judgment! Life is Strange! WarioWare! Madden! PS5 winning! Lack of Switch evergreens!

Like you said tho, almost like actions have consequences…

In any case, to stay on topic, the software side of last month’s NPD is so much more interesting than the hardware side. The underperformance of LJ especially bums me out and makes me wonder what exactly Sega could have done differently. Is there just not as much interest in that IP relative to Yakuza?

Which is a bummer because if ever there was an NPD thread that would have generated discussion, it would be this one lol. So much to discuss! Tales of Arise! Deathloop! Sonic Colors! Lost Judgment! Life is Strange! WarioWare! Madden! PS5 winning! Lack of Switch evergreens!

Like you said tho, almost like actions have consequences…

In any case, to stay in topic, the software side of last month’s NPD is so much more interesting than the hardware side. The underperformance of LJ especially bums me out and makes me wonder what exactly Sega could have done differently. Is there just not as much interest in that IP relative to Yakuza?
I'll be honest...I didn't even know it came out.

PS5 has been doing amazingly well with limited releases - I think fast loading has been a huge selling point to folk.

Should mean for some crazy numbers in Q4.
I don’t think people care about specific features as much as you’re implying. I think the PS5 is a highly-marketed successor to a highly successful console that many people invested in.

Man, 33 months. What a crazy run.
We may never see another streak like it. Each first party is doing well enough in North America that, once all consoles are readily available, I expect we’ll see a different “winner” almost every month.

Probably shouldn't have gone on holiday. My absence from my usual spot in the universe manifested an imbalance which led to these NPD results.

Without Nintendo digital sales included it's been a joke for months. I'm not going to claim that Mario Kart outsells Madden but none of us know for sure 🤔

It could have been Madden 1st and 9 Nintendo games or it could be closer to what is published.

Without Nintendo digital sales included it's been a joke for months. I'm not going to claim that Mario Kart outsells Madden but none of us know for sure 🤔

It could have been Madden 1st and 9 Nintendo games or it could be closer to what is published.
GTA5 would be in there somewhere

It’s probably closer to what’s published than the chart being all Nintendo games lol. The lack of evergreens this month is presumably down to hardware sales being low in anticipation of the OLED model.

33 is an easy number to remember. Thanks, Nintendo, for timing OLED's release just right to avoid making the record a forgettable 32 or 34. I just need to add Sora playing Switch in the backseat during a looooooooong drive to my memory palace and substract the 1 in the middle from the sign of Donald Duck's car and I'm good.

What a run that was tho. Insane how it took announcing the Oled to be what pushes them down.

I feel like Nintendo announced the OLED a little too early. I mean this would've happened in September probably anyway, but they slowed their momentum probably a bit more than they had to for a few months there, as seen in Japan for example.

thumbnail for the next 48 hours for all the low quality youtubers :

mario-sad-header.jpeg
I think you mean
mario-sad.png

I feel like Nintendo announced the OLED a little too early. I mean this would've happened in September probably anyway, but they slowed their momentum probably a bit more than they had to for a few months there, as seen in Japan for example.

I think you mean
mario-sad.png
It really doesn't matter. There would be a dip before the OLED release regardless. And Nintendo doesn't care about a "winning streak". Sales would be basically the same regardless.

It’s probably closer to what’s published than the chart being all Nintendo games lol. The lack of evergreens this month is presumably down to hardware sales being low in anticipation of the OLED model.
For this month absolutely, but in closer months some games squeaking in wouldn't when the evergreens are digitally selling but those sales are absent.

If it was a permanent revision Nintendo could have lowered the old switch price to keep the run going but by selling both that wouldn't work unless the new one was cheaper which Nintendo don't need to do until they are actually doomed, not 1 month lull doomed.

I don’t think people care about specific features as much as you’re implying. I think the PS5 is a highly-marketed successor to a highly successful console that many people invested in.
Yeah. I think enthusiasts (and even casual gamers) will value those features, but the PS5's success has hinged largely on them being an established brand and ecosystem that's been built up over decades, and them being the de facto powerhouse console for most people. I have friends who play games fairly sparsely and casually who got one because it's the hot new thing, it's the natural progression from the last system they had (like upgrading your phone), and it had Ratchet (this was the point a bunch of them hopped on!). They're not really fussed about loading times, that's just a bonus - though I will absolutely welcome them when I get around to getting one.

Anyway, I'll miss Nintendo!

Back
Top Bottom