• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News SONIC X SHADOW GENERATIONS Announced at State of Play - Autumn 2024 (Switch included)

4OdEuos.png

I did not.

It's okay neither the Mario movie nor the Sonic movies are really that good...

Hard to get a solid grasp on the structure of the Shadow Generations portion from just the teaser trailer, but I don't think it's impossible we end up with a boss of some form for each act. Final Chase and Biolizard are clearly the first act and first boss respectively; identifiable enough through the tutorial rings seen in their respectively clips, but given the official plot synopsis says Shadow must "journey into his own past" and "confront painful memories" I don't think these are meant to represent their place in SA2 chronologically, but in Shadow's actual past, the start of his life. He's definitely going to be forced to watch Maria's death again at some point here. Afterwards he'll meet Doom Eye and then the transition from the ARK to Radical Highway happens as we see in the trailer.

Again, without much to work on, here's a blind guess at how the DLC will play out:

Act 1: Shadow's Origins [As explained above, the ARK is where Shadow's story naturally starts.]
  • Stage: Final Chase [or whatever ARK stage from SA2 or Shadow they choose to name it after; could just be Space Colony ARK for simplicity.]
  • Boss: Biolizard [Nothing to explain; it's in the trailer, set on the ARK, the prototype Ultimate Lifeform and thus a part of Shadow's deeper past, easy.]
Act 2: Sonic Adventure 2 [We see the transition from the ARK to the city in the trailer, it's clearly what comes next.]
  • Stage: Radical Highway [Seems to mix in some elements from Shadow's city stages, maybe that's the Black Arms' influence, but Chaos Soda advertisement and the red barriers on the road make it still clearly recognisable as Radical Highway. Now where's that NiGHTS building...]
  • Boss: Doom Eye [Didn't originate in SA2 but we see him here in the trailer, so may as well go with it. Doesn't seem like a traditional boss fight like Biolizard though, he's seen flying around Shadow mid-level, and then Shadow is seen homing attacking GUN Hunters into a shield protecting him. Maybe this'd be labelled as a Rival fight instead of a major boss, we'll see.]
Act 3: Sonic Heroes [referenced on the PS Blog post, represents an important step in his character arc by introducing his amnesia; I think it'll be here.]
  • Stage: Egg Fleet / Final Fortress [Mixed together like Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace in the original Gens; any Heroes stage choice would be. This is where he finds the Shadow Androids at the end of Team Dark's story, which makes it an easy pick for relevance to Shadow's past.]
  • Boss: Egg Emperor [Need to fit an Eggman fight in here somewhere, very important character to Shadow's backstory, and this spot makes the most sense; I don't think Metal is all that relevant to Shadow's story. Another boss brought back from Generations 3DS by total coincidence though.]
Act 4: Shadow the Hedgehog / Sonic Battle [a two-for-one package, i'll explain that below.]
  • Stage: Central City [Those city assets don't allign 1:1 with Radical Highway, so I figure they might see use for two stages instead of just one. Using the name of this one in particular because a "Central City" also appears in Sonic Battle; but they could go with Westopolis or Lethal Highway instead.]
  • Boss: Emerl [The surprise appearance inspired entirely by the PS Blog listing Sonic Battle instead of literally any other game Shadow has been in. Emerl's backstory involves Gerald, they are tied through Maria inspiring Emerl's personally program, and they grow a connection because of this in the original game itself. Definitely an easier fit than most would give it credit for at first glace; could also be labelled a Rival fight if Doom Eye is.]
Act 5: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) [a part of his past he should have forgotten continuity wise, but important enough to include just like base Generations.]
  • Stage: Kingdom Valley [The single most iconic stage Sonic 06 has, but more importantly it has a lot of relevance to Shadow's story in the game, being where Mephiles is first released from the scepter. Aquatic Base and Dusty Desert are also important for Shadow but this is the top pick.]
  • Boss: Mephiles [Shouldn't have to explain the obvious connection they share. Kishimoto tweeted about Infinite returning in a mainstream Sonic game last year, after he already appeared in Speed Battle, and a game with Shadow in the spotlight is probably the most perfect time for that to happen.]
Final Act: Shadow's True Origins [confronting the Black Arms DNA that is a part of him; Black Doom is the main villain of the story so it'll end with him.]
  • Stage: Black Comet [I think it's fair for Shadow's own game to get two stages if Adventure 2 is, and this is the clear setting for the finale. Again, could be named / themed after the other levels set in the same location, Final Haunt or The Last Way; only going with this one because like Central City it also happens to be the general location's name.]
  • Boss: Devil Doom [Very much looking forward to I Am All Of Me kicking in during this part.]
The aim in even making this new content seems to be cleaning up Shadow's backstory and character, particularly ahead of the third Sonic Movie. I think this lineup captures all of the important beats (outside of Forces which I think won't be here). Probably should have Sonic himself appear somewhere though, even if not a full rival fight since the base game covers that part of their relationship.

What is happening lol

In the last page we've had:

• A user being randomly taunted for expressing excitement at the game.
  • Mario vs Sonic bollocks.

Now all I need is "Sonic was never good" and I'll have a line on my bingo card.

It genuinely feels like purgatory on gaming forums at times.

The aim in even making this new content seems to be cleaning up Shadow's backstory and character, particularly ahead of the third Sonic Movie. I think this lineup captures all of the important beats (outside of Forces which I think won't be here). Probably should have Sonic himself appear somewhere though, even if not a full rival fight since the base game covers that part of their relationship.
Honestly considering the fact Generations is about pulling from all over time I could absolutely see there being something from Forces before the final fight even if canonically this game would be before Forces and Shadow wouldn't even know who Infinite is.
I doubt Sonic Team considers Speed Battle/Dash mainline games when they don't even make them, so I could see this being used to kinda fix up Infinite a little, like how Frontiers took a bit to address Tails' awful writing in that game and spun it into a character moment.

Kinda get the feeling that the final fight could be something other than Devil Doom honestly, especially considering Ian Flynn is writing this and has previously said he would make the Time Eater connected to Mephiles if he got the chance to ever explain it.

Kinda get the feeling that the final fight could be something other than Devil Doom honestly, especially considering Ian Flynn is writing this and has previously said he would make the Time Eater connected to Mephiles if he got the chance to ever explain it.

Maybe there’s a twist and Mephiles is orchestrating everything; definitely something i’ve thought about lol. For now i’m just trusting all the marketing descriptions on Black Doom being the main villain the whole way through, while the rest are just time displaced copies like the bosses in the original game.

From what we know about how much creative control Flynn had over Frontiers, I don’t think he’d have a say over whether Mephiles is the final opponent despite what he’s said before:

It’s been a very different experience to be sure. With the other tie-in media, I’m the one to pitch the story, the characters, the themes, etc. With Sonic Frontiers, SEGA provided the story, backstory, plot beats, usable characters, and so on. So it was a very different approach to telling a Sonic story than what I’m used to.

If it happens it’ll most likely be because Sonic Team’s thoughts aligned with his.

I just realized the Mario and Sonic Olympics games is branded as "Mario & Sonic", and not "Mario Vs. Sonic"

In the last page we've had:

• A user being randomly taunted for expressing excitement at the game.
  • Mario vs Sonic bollocks.

Now all I need is "Sonic was never good" and I'll have a line on my bingo card.

It genuinely feels like purgatory on gaming forums at times.
It’s okay for people to have different opinions. Thats the fun of a forum. I do think that most modern Sonic titles are pretty middling, but just because I feel that way doesn’t mean it’s okay for me to get mad at people who like them. I think respecting the opinions of others (so long as they are not politically hateful or harmful to any one) is imperative for good forum discussion

It’s okay for people to have different opinions. Thats the fun of a forum. I do think that most modern Sonic titles are pretty middling, but just because I feel that way doesn’t mean it’s okay for me to get mad at people who like them. I think respecting the opinions of others (so long as they are not politically hateful or harmful to any one) is imperative for good forum discussion

You're absolutely right.

But when you see the same stuff over and over, it just gets tiring y'know? I think it's fine for me to express that as well.

Edit: And I should stress that I'm fine with opposite opinions. I just find my patience wears thin at a faster rate these days.

Honestly considering the fact Generations is about pulling from all over time I could absolutely see there being something from Forces before the final fight even if canonically this game would be before Forces and Shadow wouldn't even know who Infinite is.
I doubt Sonic Team considers Speed Battle/Dash mainline games when they don't even make them, so I could see this being used to kinda fix up Infinite a little, like how Frontiers took a bit to address Tails' awful writing in that game and spun it into a character moment.
As much as I’d love to see Shadow properly face off against Infinite instead of it just being done off screen via text boxes like in Episode Shadow, I don’t think we’ll be seeing any of Shadow’s stages from Forces not just because of the timeline placement, but also because there’s just really not much to take from Episode Shadow. Like, Shadow doesn’t even get an actual boss battle against Infinite!! And none of his three stages have original music, either, they just use arrangements of songs from Sonic Adventure 2 or Shadow the Hedgehog. So yeah, I don’t really see it happening, as much as I’d like it. But who knows!

You're absolutely right.

But when you see the same stuff over and over, it just gets tiring y'know? I think it's fine for me to express that as well.

Edit: And I should stress that I'm fine with opposite opinions. I just find my patience wears thin at a faster rate these days.
lol I get it. I find that once I start to feel that way it’s best to take a break. I was having a debate on reddit in the mass effect sub about whether or not shepard should come back. I was on the side that I want them too, but there were people for and vehemently against this. The discussion started to turn toxic and I realized I needed to remove myself from it for a bit, like I had to reflect and wonder why I was getting so angry at strangers online for not feeling the same way about a piece of fiction that I do. It’s easy to get caught up in it, but I think stepping back and looking at the larger picture helps

At the end
You don't need to show your insecure mario fan ass in the public boys. Nintendo already got their billion dollars, they don't need emotional support on top.

The sonic movies are good enough as movies and written so that by the time they're done, everyone who watched it has a good understanding of the franchise. Even with weird detours like the wedding stuff, it at least knows how to make sure the plot trundles along in a coherent logical way for the audience to follow.

The mario movie is just a list of references that fails to even try and explain the rules of the universe or what things do in a natural way unless you're already heavily involved in it. It's objectively poorly written as a movie and I'd go as far to say that it deserved the rotten rating.

Having to stop the movie multiple times to explain why my father should have cared or what's happening is damning for how well a film is written.
We have discussed this before and not in the mood to do it again i know your opinions on it and i know mines and they are not gonna change in both sides so let's leave it at that.

At the end the movie is good for the groups and demographics the movie aims at (your dad it's not so i don't know why he should care or understand) and like you said it did it's billion already so history speaks for it it's a successfull product.
It's a functional movie for kids and it doesn't need to be more than that.

Any way loved both Sonic movies and this one it's gonna be amazing hope they go crazy and don't give shit about anything.
Make Star Wars episode III type of hype and amazing movie everything be dammed!.

It was so forgettable it took a good while for the memories of mediocrity to come back after it was brought up earlier

I have no idea how you could forget something so bizarre, it was like something out of a fever dream

At what point does liking Shadow (the character and/or game) ironically stop being ironic? Asking for a friend...

b3a9893e18ce34fc0005687c72644067939e3d48.png

Last edited:
As much as I’d love to see Shadow properly face off against Infinite instead of it just being done off screen via text boxes like in Episode Shadow, I don’t think we’ll be seeing any of Shadow’s stages from Forces not just because of the timeline placement, but also because there’s just really not much to take from Episode Shadow. Like, Shadow doesn’t even get an actual boss battle against Infinite!! And none of his three stages have original music, either, they just use arrangements of songs from Sonic Adventure 2 or Shadow the Hedgehog. So yeah, I don’t really see it happening, as much as I’d like it. But who knows!
Just saying, Generations 3DS pulled out a boss that Shadow fights and a Shadow level for their SA2 representation. They could easily do the reverse and use a Modern Sonic theme to remix as Shadow was playable in all of those stages, or even an Avatar one.

Personally I would use Forces Metropolis anyways instead of anything from Episode Shadow, and transition to Null Space for the boss, like how Modern Rooftop Run basically reverses the order of events of Unleashed Rooftop Run.

Just saying, Generations 3DS pulled out a boss that Shadow fights and a Shadow level for their SA2 representation. They could easily do the reverse and use a Modern Sonic theme to remix as Shadow was playable in all of those stages, or even an Avatar one.

Personally I would use Forces Metropolis anyways instead of anything from Episode Shadow, and transition to Null Space for the boss, like how Modern Rooftop Run basically reverses the order of events of Unleashed Rooftop Run.
I know, but that was Generations 3DS, which Sonic Team cares so little for that they’re not even including any of its content (not counting stuff that was in it that also happens to appear in a different context in Shadow Generations, like the Biolizard) with this remaster. And even so, while it was odd to include Radical Highway and the Biolizard boss fight when those were originally played with Shadow, not Sonic, they still fit the theme of having stages and bosses from throughout the major events Sonic’s history, with those representing Sonic Adventure 2. Shadow Generations, however, seems to be specifically focused on retelling Shadow’s story…which is pretty much just Sonic Adventure 2 through Sonic ’06. Shadow didn’t really have any major involvement in games after that. Even in Forces his role is minor, and the story doesn’t really concern him much at all aside from Infinite’s grudge against him for wiping out his former squad. And even so, while Shadow may be important to Infinite, Infinite really isn’t important to Shadow at all. I dunno, I just don’t see them bothering to represent Forces when it’s completely removed from Shadow’s main story arc. Again, I certainly wouldn’t complain if it happened, though!

On a different note, another 3D World parallel that would be neat is if they changed classic Sonic's physics to match the classic games. Or make it a toggle or something.
They could also add the drop dash.

I've actually not yet played Generations yet, so I'm not sure how that'd work out, but if 3D World did it, it might be fine?

On a different note, another 3D World parallel that would be neat is if they changed classic Sonic's physics to match the classic games. Or make it a toggle or something.
They could also add the drop dash.

I've actually not yet played Generations yet, so I'm not sure how that'd work out, but if 3D World did it, it might be fine?
sounds like something that needs to have levels tailored for that. 3D World and 3D Land before it were made with the physics in mind

Generations Classic levels would basically have to be remade to account for Mania-like physics

And now that Mania, Origins and Superstars all exist as options for faithful Genesis style Sonic I'm fine with Classic Gens being a weird modern facsimile anyway

I hope they at least improve the controls for Classic Sonic because I'll be honest, I thought he plays like doo doo in Generations.
I know you can't just import physics engine willy nilly but imagine a Sonic Generations where classic stages are updated to use the Mania/Superstars engine 👀

I bought an Xbox Series X just because of this game and now they port it? That should be illegal.

Nintendo of America decided to upload the trailer ~30 minutes ago.

I'm curious how they will handle this port on the Switch. Certain levels like Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 definitely caused my Xbox 360 to drop frames back in the day. Smooth 30fps would be ideal!

I haven't been the biggest Sonic fan since the early Gamecube days but it is nice seeing more consistent Sonic releases, even if some of them are just remasters/ports. Like there was a time where every year you got "yet another fucking Sonic game" and then after Forces, there was basically nothing for years. It's like annual Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or whatever. It might be good, it may be terrible, but there's some comfort in knowing that there's "yet another fucking Sonic game" coming out this year.

I'm curious how they will handle this port on the Switch. Certain levels like Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 definitely caused my Xbox 360 to drop frames back in the day. Smooth 30fps would be ideal!

I'll wait for the Switch 2 version lol

I haven't been the biggest Sonic fan since the early Gamecube days but it is nice seeing more consistent Sonic releases, even if some of them are just remasters/ports. Like there was a time where every year you got "yet another fucking Sonic game" and then after Forces, there was basically nothing for years. It's like annual Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or whatever. It might be good, it may be terrible, but there's some comfort in knowing that there's "yet another fucking Sonic game" coming out this year.
This post reminded me of the “Dark Age” of both Sonic AND Megaman

I'll wait for the Switch 2 version lol

This post reminded me of the “Dark Age” of both Sonic AND Megaman

Sonic and Mega Man have similar parallels back in the day. While both were having a rough time in the console space, they had decent and consistent handheld outings. Sonic had the Advance and then the Rush series while Mega Man had the Battle Network and Zero series. Fans pretty much got a game every year.
Sonic forces classic sonic says hey

Yes, both Sonic Forces and Generations Classic Sonic control like doo doo. I agree.

FYI I want to say Frontiers was on an evolved version of the generations engine, if they just ported that forward into the current version, they have a ton of experience optimizing for switch and it should be fine. Game was surprisingly scalable to start with and switch is a whole lot stronger than 360(and more efficient)

I think Hedgehog Engine 1 was very lightweight compared to Hedgehog Engine 2. unlike Sonic Colors Ultimate which was a terrible port created in godot, it looks like a directly port of the original 2011 version. If Dynamic Resolution was added, it should be able to run at up to 60fps on Switch and full 120fps on PS5/Xbox Series.

FYI I want to say Frontiers was on an evolved version of the generations engine, if they just ported that forward into the current version, they have a ton of experience optimizing for switch and it should be fine. Game was surprisingly scalable to start with and switch is a whole lot stronger than 360(and more efficient)
Frontiers is Hedgehog 2, so Sonic x Shadow has probably been brought forward. or at least the Shadow stuff is on HE2

Boss: Egg Emperor [Need to fit an Eggman fight in here somewhere, very important character to Shadow's backstory, and this spot makes the most sense; I don't think Metal is all that relevant to Shadow's story. Another boss brought back from Generations 3DS by total coincidence though.]
I’ve been thinking about this since my list of possible stages and bosses lacked an Eggman battle, but then I realized…Egg Emperor isn’t even an Eggman battle at all—it’s a Neo Metal Sonic battle, technically! There is no true Eggman battle in Sonic Heroes, and, surprisingly, outside of Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow doesn’t really have much in the way of true face-offs with Eggman at all… And even then, something like the Egg Dealer is of dubious canon, anyway. So I’m really not sure what the best way to work Eggman into it would be, outside of the Shadow Androids.

Your observation of this ARK stage likely being the first stage has me even more confused about how this game will be structured, though, if it’s really from Adventure 2 instead of a flashback stage from Shadow the Hedgehog. But I guess it would make sense for Shadow Generations to pick up immediately after Sonic’s battle with Shadow in Sonic Generations, which took place on Final Rush / Final Chase…

Back
Top Bottom