• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News SONIC X SHADOW GENERATIONS Announced at State of Play - Autumn 2024 (Switch included)

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 are also dumb Saturday morning cartoon stories, that's what the series has always been. It's just the Late 90s/early 2000s were a period where for some insane reason children were all in a edgy phase. Thankfully we moved past that for a bit because holy hell the tonal clash of anthropomorphic creatures expecting that to be treated seriously.

Forces is exactly the same kind of story as adventure, you just weren't a child when it happened, because stuff like sonic dropping in to the limo of the president is completely stupid outside of making it for the edge.
On the other side, Sonic Adventure 1 also has the E-102 story. Forces is pretty spot on with character writing and tone, they just didn't have a budget.

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 are also dumb Saturday morning cartoon stories, that's what the series has always been. It's just the Late 90s/early 2000s were a period where for some insane reason children were all in a edgy phase. Thankfully we moved past that for a bit because holy hell the tonal clash of anthropomorphic creatures expecting that to be treated seriously.

Forces is exactly the same kind of story as adventure, you just weren't a child when it happened, because stuff like sonic dropping in to the limo of the president is completely stupid outside of making it for the edge.
Again, what I care about is the game taking itself seriously, and what I mean by that is the game actually caring about its lore and characters and not turning into a fucking joke of itself by going all meta and becoming self-contained and basically ignoring the lore of other games like the games from Sonic Colors onwards were like, when we used to instead have interconnected story arcs during the GameCube era. I don’t care about how silly the stories themselves may be perceived, and that’s not what I’m talking about—I’m just talking about the games actually feeling like they respect the series’ lore rather than making a joke of it. It’s not just because I was a kid for the Adventure games while I was an adult for Forces, either—I’ve already explained my issues with Forces elsewhere in this thread (and even so I do like the game for the most part, writing aside). I’m not one of those people who always loves the games they played as a kid over the modern installments in the same franchises; very far from it, in fact.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have used the “Saturday morning cartoon” descriptor if people are gonna keep misunderstanding the point I’m making with it, but like I said before, if we’re talking cartoons, I’d much rather something like Sonic X than Sonic Boom, and that’s very much comparable to the Adventure through ‘06 games versus the Colors through Forces games (with Unleashed kinda being in the middle).

Last edited:
I think his moveset is so different he wouldn’t work. He has many chaos abilities in the trailer
I feel like a lot of that may just be Frontiers styled combat stuff for boss fights, the only one shown in platforming levels was the teleport homing attack which is basically just a reskin. They could probably do the Cyberspace thing where you lose the combat stuff but anything used for movement in other boost games will be fair game, and I'm betting that's how Shadow's levels will play anyways.

Was kinda hoping the 3DS generations content would get remade, but it looks just like regular old Generations. :/

Not sure what to make of the Shadow content, or why it even exists tbh.

Was kinda hoping the 3DS generations content would get remade, but it looks just like regular old Generations. :/

Not sure what to make of the Shadow content, or why it even exists tbh.
I hear there's a movie coming out with Sonic and Shadow this year :p

No it's not the same. SA 1 and 2 played around with themes, with Amy's bird friend, Gamma. SA2 had Shadow and Maria, Eggman's grandfather or whatever being a psychopath While it never went extremely deep it actually made me feel sadness at moments. Forces Sonic was joking around while being kidnapped and tortured for months. The premise being so dark but the characters acting like they're in a Mickey Mouse cartoon was very strange, and just bad storytelling. It was basically the premise of SATAM but done badly.

I hear there's a movie coming out with Sonic and Shadow this year :p
I meant less so in regards to why is Sega making it and more so in regards to why it exists narratively. The plot synopsis I saw sounds like a retread of Shadow the Hedgehog the game, which ends with Shadow leaving behind his past and choosing to live his own life, and meanwhile while it's unclear in regards to Shadow, Silver, and Metal Sonic, the implication of Generations story is that Sonics friends are sucked up by the Time Eater and frozen, untill Sonic rescues them. I never thought there was some huge campaign focused on Shadow during said events, specifically one involving Black Doom of all people, especially considering he should be dead.

I meant less so in regards to why is Sega making it and more so in regards to why it exists narratively. The plot synopsis I saw sounds like a retread of Shadow the Hedgehog the game, which ends with Shadow leaving behind his past and choosing to live his own life, and meanwhile while it's unclear in regards to Shadow, Silver, and Metal Sonic, the implication of Generations story is that Sonics friends are sucked up by the Time Eater and frozen, untill Sonic rescues them. I never thought there was some huge campaign focused on Shadow during said events, specifically one involving Black Doom of all people, especially considering he should be dead.

Yeah it's all very odd. I'm expecting this one to replace what they tried to do in the 2011 release, since it always felt like they went with a very barebones story. They did hire someone as a Lore Manager and since then they've been attempting to reference and tie together a bunch of games.

Black Doom in 2024. What a strange year.

tbh I wouldn't rule out Black Doom being the central villain of the Sonic 3 movie
That lines up with the old rumor that the villain for Sonic 3 will be played by Aubrey Plaza
Makes you wonder if his return has anything to do with him possibly having any presence in the Sonic 3 Movie
I kinda thought about that lol. It makes a lot of sense considering that the Sonic movie director also worked on the CG for Shadow the Hedgehog 2005.

He's been clearly playing the long con, you see

I kinda thought about that lol. It makes a lot of sense considering that the Sonic movie director also worked on the CG for Shadow the Hedgehog 2005.

He's been clearly playing the long con, you see
I guess they had to pivot when Jim Carrey retired

I've never played Generations so I'm excited for this. I bought the game on my steam deck but can't get it to work.

Mario movie: let's bring Miyamoto into the production team to help keep the movie faithful

Sonic movie: let's bring in someone who worked on Shadow the Hedgehog 😎

never played the original, nor have I bought a sonic game since 06 (i actually liked 06 and still do, quirks and all), but have played the recent games at friends/brothers place

gonna get this day 1, seeing the shadow the hedgehog levels/more sa2, and the shadow logo in his name, and probably much more nostalgia, it hits hard

if performance is solid I shall get it on my switch, and maybe hope it also comes to switch 2 since this is an autumn release!

He retired during the first movie. He’ll keep coming back as long as he likes the script. He was even in the previs that leaked the other day
He retired after 2 came out but yeah I hadn't seen the 3 leak, thats good to know

qd5dv5ej.png

Watched some Youtube videos and some people seem to think that Shadow portions are being built off of the Sonic Frontiers engine. Which would make sense but that also has the potential of making the feel for Shadow levels be different than the Sonic ones.

Watched some Youtube videos and some people seem to think that Shadow portions are being built off of the Sonic Frontiers engine. Which would make sense but that also has the potential of making the feel for Shadow levels be different than the Sonic ones.
Which would be perfectly fine, in my opinion. Slapping Shadow over Modern!Sonic's gameplay didn't interest me in the least.

My ideal was the suggested notion that Shadow actually plays something closer to the Adventure style as a means to separate him further from Sonic (which would be apt, because Shadow IS "Adventure!Sonic"). But this would more than work, too.

Shadow Generations:
SA2: Radical Highway
Heroes: Grand Metropolis
Shadow the Hedgehog: The Ark
06: White Acropolis
Forces: City
looks like both Westopolis and The Ark are in for Shadow stages, so I don't think Shadow Generations is going to follow the one stage per game rules of Sonic Generations

probably stages being selected more based on what they mean for Shadow's story

NOTHING CAN STOP YOU NOW
NO GHOST TO BRING YOU DOWN
WHEN THERES NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE, YOOOUUU WIIIIIIIIN
BOW YOUR HEAD YELL ALL HAIL SHADOW

I can’t stop thinking about Shadow Generations!! I’m so curious about how the game is going to be structured and how much content it will have. Given how it’s kinda being treated as the main thing in this package with Sonic Generations being the “extra” content, and given that it’s being developed by Sonic Team too, I can’t help but expect it to be at least somewhat comparable to Sonic Generations in length. But how so? There’s only really four games featuring Shadow that they can pull stages from—Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic ’06 (unless they throw Forces in too but that would be weird given the timeline)—so can we expect to get stages from all of these games? I mean, Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog are clearly a lock, and Heroes and Sonic ’06 naturally make sense too, but I’m unsure of how they’ll fit everything together. Like, Heroes is an important game for Shadow’s history and it’s kind of necessary to cover because it was the game that established that Shadow survived after Adventure 2, but at the same time it doesn’t feature Shadow nearly as prominently as the other three, so I can’t see them pulling very much from it. And while Sonic ’06 definitely needs to be covered, too (and I kinda expect them to use this opportunity to officially explain that the Time Eater was born from the remnants of Mephiles, especially with Ian Flynn writing), I don’t know how they’re gonna handle that if they’re doing it Sonic Generations style and presenting the stages from past games in order of release, because that would mean the Sonic ’06 stuff (with Mephiles no doubt being involved too, either as a rival or boss battle) would come after the Shadow the Hedgehog stuff, yet Black Doom is clearly the big bad here…unless Black Doom is working with Mephiles or something?? Or I suppose they could just skip over the battle with Black Doom for the Shadow the Hedgehog part and give you another boss there instead, like Diablon (and Sonic?) or the Egg Dealer, or just do Metal Madness from Heroes instead (after all, Neo Metal Sonic did copy the ultimate life form data from Shadow, so it would make sense), and save Black Doom for the final boss. They could also spread the Shadow the Hedgehog stages throughout the game instead of being strictly in game release order, since there’s the flashback stages that would’ve taken place before Adventure 2. And then there’s the question of whether they’ll do rival battles in addition to main bosses, too… Y’know, with the press release oddly mentioning Sonic Battle of all games, I can’t help but wonder if they’ll throw in Emerl as a rival battle… Sonic Battle is an important game to Shadow in that it deals with another one of Professor Gerald’s creations and Shadow’s relationship to that, after all, but it doesn’t exactly have normal stages that would work for Shadow Generations…but an Emerl rival battle could totally work!

If we’re to assume it has roughly the same kind of structure and content as Sonic Generations, then maybe it’ll end up being something like this…

The ARK Era
Stage 1: The Doom (Shadow)
Stage 2: Radical Highway (Adventure 2)
Stage 3: Final Chase (Adventure 2)
Rival: Sonic the Hedgehog (Adventure 2)
Boss: Biolizard (Adventure 2)

Lost Memories Era
Stage 1: Egg Fleet (Heroes)
Stage 2: Westopolis (Shadow)
Stage 3: Iron Jungle (Shadow)
Rival: Emerl (Battle)
Boss: Metal Madness (Heroes)

G.U.N. Era
Stage 1: White Acropolis ('06)
Stage 2: Dusty Desert ('06)
Stage 3: The Last Way (Shadow)
Rival: Mephiles ('06)
Boss: Black Doom (Shadow)

Final Boss: Devil Doom (+ Mephiles / Time Eater?)

Maybe this is a bit too optimistic, lol, but with the stages appearing to be more Frontiers style than Sonic Generations style, it would presumably take less resources to make these stages compared to Sonic Generations, so who knows! Also, since there’s no classic character in Shadow Generations, each stage may only have one act instead of two, further reducing the amount of work required. Although we can probably expect to see more story content in this compared to Sonic Generations, including more cutscenes, so that could be a tradeoff. Regardless, if they’re intending to tell Shadow’s full story with this, which seems to be the implication, they’re gonna have to represent those four main games in some way at the very least.

Last edited:
I can’t stop thinking about Shadow Generations!! I’m so curious about how the game is going to be structured and how much content it will have. Given how it’s kinda being treated as the main thing in this package with Sonic Generations being the “extra” content, and given that it’s being developed by Sonic Team too, I can’t help but expect it to be at least somewhat comparable to Sonic Generations in length. But how so? There’s only really four games featuring Shadow that they can pull stages from—Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic ’06 (unless they throw Forces in too but that would be weird given the timeline)—so can we expect to get stages from all of these games? I mean, Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog are clearly a lock, and Heroes and Sonic ’06 naturally make sense too, but I’m unsure of how they’ll fit everything together. Like, Heroes is an important game for Shadow’s history and it’s kind of necessary to cover because it was the game that established that Shadow survived after Adventure 2, but at the same time it doesn’t feature Shadow nearly as prominently as the other three, so I can’t see them pulling very much from it. And while Sonic ’06 definitely needs to be covered, too (and I kinda expect them to use this opportunity to officially explain that the Time Eater was born from the remnants of Mephiles, especially with Ian Flynn writing), I don’t know how they’re gonna handle that if they’re doing it Sonic Generations style and presenting the stages from past games in order of release, because that would mean the Sonic ’06 stuff (with Mephiles no doubt being involved too, either as a rival or boss battle) would come after the Shadow the Hedgehog, yet Black Doom is clearly the big bad here…unless Black Doom is working with Mephiles or something?? Or I suppose they could just skip over the battle with Black Doom for the Shadow the Hedgehog part and give you another boss there instead, like Diablon (and Sonic?) or the Egg Dealer, and save Black Doom for the final boss. They could also spread the Shadow the Hedgehog stages throughout the game instead of being strictly in game release order, since there’s the flashback stages that would’ve taken place before Adventure 2. And then there’s the question of whether they’ll do rival battles in addition to main bosses, too… Y’know, with the press release oddly mentioning Sonic Battle of all games, I can’t help but wonder if they’ll throw in Emerl as a rival battle… Sonic Battle is an important game to Shadow in that it deals with another one of Professor Gerald’s creations, after all, but it doesn’t exactly have normal stages that would work for Shadow Generations…but an Emerl rival battle would totally work!

If we’re to assume it has roughly the same kind of structure and content as Sonic Generations, then maybe it’ll end up being something like this…

The ARK Era
Stage 1: The Doom (Shadow)
Stage 2: Radical Highway (Adventure 2)
Stage 3: Final Chase (Adventure 2)
Rival: Sonic the Hedgehog (Adventure 2)
Boss: Biolizard (Adventure 2)

Lost Memories Era
Stage 1: Egg Fleet / Final Fortress (Heroes)
Stage 2: Westopolis (Shadow)
Stage 3: Iron Jungle / Lava Shelter (Shadow)
Rival: Emerl (Battle)
Boss: Metal Madness (Heroes)

G.U.N. Era
Stage 1: White Acropolis ('06)
Stage 2: Dusty Desert ('06)
Stage 3: The Last Way (Shadow)
Rival: Mephiles ('06)
Boss: Black Doom (Shadow)

Final Boss: Devil Doom (+ Mephiles / Time Eater?)

Maybe this is a bit too optimistic, lol, but with the stages appearing to be more Frontiers style than Sonic Generations style, it would presumably take less resources to make these stages compared to Sonic Generations, so who knows! Also, since there’s no classic character in Shadow Generations, each stage may only have one act instead of two, further reducing the amount of work required. Although we can probably expect to see more story content in this compared to Sonic Generations, including more cutscenes, so that could be a tradeoff. Regardless, if they’re intending to tell Shadow’s full story with this, which seems to be the implication, they’re gonna have to represent those four main games in some way at the very least.
You’re ideas are PHENOMENAL! But like you said: sounds overly optimistic. I’m only expecting a couple of stages and some cutscenes.

Because at the end of the day, this is a tie-in for the Sonic 3 Movie.

Quoted by: Tye
You’re ideas are PHENOMENAL! But like you said: sounds overly optimistic. I’m only expecting a couple of stages and some cutscenes.

Because at the end of the day, this is a tie-in for the Sonic 3 Movie.
Thanks! And we’ll see! I’m not gonna go in expecting the absolute best case scenario, of course, but I’m not convinced that it’s going to be something as minor as Episode Shadow from Forces, either, given how they’re presenting it. Even if it’s just half the size of Sonic Generations (even excluding the missions and only counting the main stages and bosses) plus a decent story (not that it would be hard to beat Sonic Generations’ story, lol), I’ll be very happy! This is clearly their way of providing a summary of Shadow’s story without requiring people to play through four ~20-year-old Sonic games just to get all that, so as long as they handle that well and cover all the necessary story beats in some form, I’ll be thrilled!

If you cut out the filler where they make you do some of the bonus stages to get keys to the bosses then Sonic Generations is like a 2 hour game lol. I don't think it's impossible for Shadow Generations to match or even exceed that length

I appreciate that we're now at a point in society where we can admit Shadow the Hedgehog is tight af.

Thanks! And we’ll see! I’m not gonna go in expecting the absolute best case scenario, of course, but I’m not convinced that it’s going to be something as minor as Episode Shadow from Forces, either, given how they’re presenting it. Even if it’s just half the size of Sonic Generations (even excluding the missions and only counting the main stages and bosses) plus a decent story (not that it would be hard to beat Sonic Generations’ story, lol), I’ll be very happy! This is clearly their way of providing a summary of Shadow’s story without requiring people to play through four ~20-year-old Sonic games just to get all that, so as long as they handle that well and cover all the necessary story beats in some form, I’ll be thrilled!
The fact that they're talking about Shadow relieving his past makes me think it's a big enough scenario, but not as big as the main game. Maybe half as big, because honestly, re-releases are also cash grabs, so I doubt they would invest a lot of effort in this.

Sonic 2 has the decency to keep the licensed music relegated to two scenes and that alone puts it heads above Mario
Okay true but they also didn't have hardly any game music either, which sucks because Sonic music is fantastic and they just dropped it all in favor of generic contemporary movie score. Music is imo the thing the Mario movie got the most right (licensed songs or otherwise).

You don't need to show your insecure Sonic fan ass in the public boys.
LOL you think I'm insecure about my Sonic fandom? Of all the people on Fami, me? 🤣

Sonic 2 is a better movie for normal people to go in blind and still understand what's going on but is still ultimately your average kids film. The Mario Movie is more filled with fanservice that's impenetrable for people not familiar with the series (I mean it still did gangbusters but like, I get the low review scores) and is also your average kids film but it also had Chunky Kong so I'll give it the edge.

The Mario movie is way better than both Sonic movies by the fact that it's animated and not live action.
And the 80's music rules, and dose not commit the act of butcher Uptown Funk like Sonic 2.

Sonic's films are fun but lose out on Mario for doing weird shenanigans with Sonic being adopted by humans and shit. How many alternate universe versions of Sonic have we got now?

My guess is 6 stages + 2 bosses (Biolizard, Black Doom). Stages are taken from Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog and represents various shadow moments. Only modern gameplay. So its a third of original game content (9 stages with both gameplays makes it 18 stages + 3 rivals + 3 bosses + 1 final boss)

My guess is 6 stages + 2 bosses (Biolizard, Black Doom). Stages are taken from Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog and represents various shadow moments. Only modern gameplay. So its a third of original game content (9 stages with both gameplays makes it 18 stages + 3 rivals + 3 bosses + 1 final boss)
Sonic battle got name dropped on the page so Emerl is probably in. Also I doubt they’ll skip Mephiles

How are you people trying to even think about Sonic being better than Mario? Did you forget where you are?

The Mario movie is way better than both Sonic movies by the fact that it's animated and not live action.
And the 80's music rules, and dose not commit the act of butcher Uptown Funk like Sonic 2.

You don't need to show your insecure mario fan ass in the public boys. Nintendo already got their billion dollars, they don't need emotional support on top.

The sonic movies are good enough as movies and written so that by the time they're done, everyone who watched it has a good understanding of the franchise. Even with weird detours like the wedding stuff, it at least knows how to make sure the plot trundles along in a coherent logical way for the audience to follow.

The mario movie is just a list of references that fails to even try and explain the rules of the universe or what things do in a natural way unless you're already heavily involved in it. It's objectively poorly written as a movie and I'd go as far to say that it deserved the rotten rating.

Having to stop the movie multiple times to explain why my father should have cared or what's happening is damning for how well a film is written.

Back
Top Bottom