• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (film) - Final Trailer

I saw the first sanic movie.

It was 'ight.

The beginning was weak, but as it picked up, I started to like it.
The first... what, probably 6 minutes or so, were my favorite part. 😅 Basically the stuff on his home planet with the echidnas and such had me so jazzed, that's why I'm excited for 2 because it looks like they're leaning more in that direction.
I'm glad you found it to be ight. 😁

I saw Sonic 2 with my kids today. They enjoyed it thankfully. I found it a much different and much worse film than the first. The first is about James Marsden and Sonic’s relationship, and features a decent comic turn by Jim Carrey. This one sidelines Marsden, is about Sonic and his furry friends, and the script doesn’t serve Carrey well. It’s long and there are sequences that could have been cut with no loss at all. A lot of the jokes just don’t land, and even the story setup at the beginning is a bit messy and hard to follow in places. The crazier bits of the film, like
the Siberian dance off
, were the ones that made me laugh. I was ready to enjoy this movie so I am a little disappointed.

Took my nephew and friends to see this. Absolutely loved it, better then the first by a wide margin. The Wedding scene was absolutely hilarious and I thought I was going to loathe that whole scene.

Everything starting from the temple was pure Sonic and I ate everything up. Jim Carrey had a lot of great scenes and of course Mr. Stone (Eggman X Mr. Stone just make it happen already. Even in Mr. Stone's day dreams have a wedding or him trying to kiss Eggman. No more gay-coding).

Can't wait for the next film and I really hope they tap Crush 40 since they are going into the Adventure games next. Would love to see the start of the next film just be the opening with City Escape with Sonic sliding down in San Fran. Then blast Live and Learn at the end or something.

With Shadow confirmed, I hope Eggman at least builds Robot Sonic in this film as well. We get Rogue the Bat, Amy and maybe even Big The Cat? Or maybe we can get Chaos since the Chaos Emeralds look like they split across the world Dragon Ball style, so we can see a race to get all the Chaos Emeralds and a race between Team Sonic, Team Robotnik AND Chaos going after the Chaos Emeralds. With the Final Fight being full grown Chaos making San Fran underwater and Super Sonic and Shadow defeating it.

Just super excited to see what they decide to run with.

Last edited:
Took my nephew and friends to see this. Absolutely loved it, better then the first by a wide margin. The Wedding scene was absolutely hilarious and I thought I was going to loathe that whole scene.

Everything starting from the temple was pure Sonic and I ate everything up. Jim Carrey had a lot of great scenes and of course Mr. Stone (Eggman X Mr. Stone just make it happen already. Even in Mr. Stone's day dreams have a wedding or him trying to kiss Eggman. No more gay-coding).

Can't wait for the next film and I really hope they tap Crush 40 since they are going into the Adventure games next. Would love to see the start of the next film just be the opening with City Escape with Sonic sliding down in San Fran. Then blast Live and Learn at the end or something.

With Shadow confirmed, I hope Eggman at least builds Robot Sonic in this film as well. We get Rogue the Cat, Amy and maybe even Big The Cat? Or maybe we can get Chaos since the Chaos Emeralds look like they split across the world Dragon Ball style, so we can see a race to get all the Chaos Emeralds and a race between Team Sonic, Team Robotnik AND Chaos going after the Chaos Emeralds. With the Final Fight being full grown Chaos making San Fran underwater and Super Sonic and Shadow defeating it.

Just super excited to see what they decide to run with.
I was waiting for others to see it so I could ask what happened to the Chaos Emeralds. I didn't see if they showed them splitting off after leaving Sonic or what. 😅

It seems kinda weird to me that Knuckles was able to just repair the Master Emerald while the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds are just kinda.. not in there anymore? Maybe they'll find that the Master Emerald doesn't actually have any power without the seven.
And regarding the music, when Robotnik started playing his leg guitar, I seriously expected some Crush 40 to start, but nope. Maybe next time. 🤷‍♂️

Just got back from my second viewing. The first was rough because I went to an advance "fan event" screening, but didn't realize it was in 4DX with the moving seats and air puffers and stuff which meant half the time I couldn't see or hear the movie because I was being violently jostled from multiple directions. So this time I actually could pay attention and I noticed some rad things:

-The rock that presses Robotnik's mushroom coffee has the actual Eggman logo on it, and the pit of spikes that the Sonic figure falls into has to be a reference to the Genesis games
  • During the fishing trip when Sonic falls in the water, I thought it was a throwaway gag at first but on the second viewing I realized they're setting up the canonical "Sonic can't swim" dilemma, which becomes important later in the movie
  • When Tom catches the ring Sonic throws him in the beginning, it very faintly but definitely makes the ring-get chime
  • Sonic does a Jean-Ralphio impression and my heart exploded
  • The texture of Knuckles' gloves and the way the seams are designed, makes them look like actual boxing glove material, as opposed to the cloth that Sonic and Tails' gloves are textured after
  • Knuckles fuckin climbs the rock face with his knuckles, yall ❤️
  • The Mean Bean, everyone gets that reference, right?
  • Sonic does the Adventure cover pose during the dance-off, which makes me very happy
  • Colleen's performance of Tails during the backstory scene at the inn breaks my heart. She's so good in this movie and I'm glad they started treating her like an equal cast member. She even showed up to the premiere in a Tails-yellow dress with a custom necklace with the seven Chaos Emeralds in it. 💛
  • The Sonic 3/Adventure Ice Cap snowboarding scene rocks my socks
  • Tom's ringtone, super obvious
  • The "GUN" paramilitary in the movie is explained as standing for Guardian Units of Nations, just like how the comics and newer games explain it, but I kept wanting to tell people in the theater "they weren't making a dumb play on the word 'gun,' it's called that because the Japanese word for military is 'guntai' and the localization team had to find a way to explain why all the vehicles literally said 'GUN' on them and that's what they came up with" but I doubt literally anyone would have appreciated that
  • "He needs a doctor or a vet or something," you cannot convince me this line was not improvised by Schwartz
  • The wide, stationary shot when Sonic launches off the rocky beach across the water gives me chills. Such a great hero shot. And I'm impressed they found a way to make me cheer instead of laugh at a line reading of "gotta go fast."
  • A lot of talk has been around about how Labyrinth Zone is obviously the inspiration for the maze in the movie, but something I didn't notice until now was the crystals sticking up through the corners. That's straight from that level, along with the godfuckingdamn slides Sonic goes down
  • While Sonic is running through the maze there's a part where he does a fucking spindash and it felt so visceral I lost my shit
  • The Hidden Palace battle between Sonic & Knuckles was so damn brutal and good, I wish it had lasted twice as long. Great fight scene where Sonic gets to use his speed creatively
  • When Knuckles has the bounder lifted above his head and is about to bring it down on Sonic, look closely and you'll see he isn't palming it to lift it, it's stuck on his knuckles. He stabbed it with his fists to "grip" it 🤘
  • Robotnik shouting "CHAOS!!" while gripping the emerald is another gives-me-chills moment, (and no, not because of SoP memes)
  • The part where Sonic saves Knuckles under the water has the obvious bubble bit that people have pointed out, but the music during the end really feels like a callback to the countdown music in the Genesis games
  • One of the GUN helicopters has SA-2 as an identifying mark, which was the game in which the organization was introduced
  • The Tornado and the Death Egg Robot we obviously know about
  • The Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles fight scene gives me Sonic Heroes vibes, especially when Knuckles tosses a spinning Sonic like a ball
  • Sonic says regarding Robotnik, "I live rent-free in this guy's head" and I almost choked on my spit
  • Blink and you can miss it, but Robotnik's operation manual for his robot is a damn Genesis instruction book
  • I've had a vivid idea for a Sonic movie series in my head since I was a teen and while these movies are nothing like it, the scene where Sonic goes Super is very similar to what I had in mind so that was satisfying as hell
  • Seriously yall, where the eff did the Chaos Emeralds go, and what actual power does the Master Emerald have without them?
  • Knuckles likes grapes, just as it says in the damn instruction book from Sonic 3
  • Agent Stone pulling his disguise down while lurking behind I swear has to be a callback to Lando in Return of the Jedi. It's damn near identical
  • I'm still mad that it's Shadow and not Metal. But I'll be a lot less mad if the story for the next movie follows Sonic Adventure 1 with Goddamn Chaos being the actual threat (as opposed to the weirdass space lizard from SA2) because if given enough time and budget, that flood and final fight could be blockbuster cinematic glory (but they'll probably go with SA2's story because of Shadow and we'll get the Death Egg in place of the moon base and that'll be rad in a different way)

One question I have after this: I figured they'd explain the superpowers came from the emeralds (because of the blue energy Sonic emits, the yellow energy and red energy Tails and Knuckles emit), but they.. don't go into it? And Knuckles can run fast like Sonic for some reason? I'm kinda wondering if they'll ever address the origin to their powers of if they'll just leave it as a vague "because aliens" thing. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sonic 2 opens to $71 million, topping the original the biggest opening weekend based on a video game in movie history:

Safe to say Sonic the Hedgehog is officially a blockbuster franchise now.

Sonic 2 opens to $71 million, topping the original the biggest opening weekend based on a video game in movie history:

Safe to say Sonic the Hedgehog is officially a blockbuster franchise now.
I still can't believe Sonic beat Detective Pikachu. That movie had everything going for it.

I still can't believe Sonic beat Detective Pikachu. That movie had everything going for it.
It did?

Like I was excited for it as a Pokémon fan but it was a pretty bad story that added weird elements, very corny/cheesy acting and the only thing enjoyable was Ryan Reynold's Detective Pikachu interacting with other Pokémon.

Sonic first movie was still better in comparison.

I finally saw the first Sonic movie in preparation for the second one, and found it pretty mediocre (not counting delightful Jim Carrey). How much better would you say the second one is for someone who didn't enjoy the first?

I finally saw the first Sonic movie in preparation for the second one, and found it pretty mediocre (not counting delightful Jim Carrey). How much better would you say the second one is for someone who didn't enjoy the first?
Depends on what you didn't like about the first. If, for instance, you didn't like the human characters, Earth-based setting, and safe, family-movie script, then the second might still feel a bit mediocre. However, if you didn't like that it took almost no inspiration from the source material, the second will be just what the doctor ordered. There are at least four (off the top of my head) entire sequences in Sonic 2 that are lifted pretty faithfully from different parts of the 90s games, the character relationships between the two heroes and two antagonists (I won't call Knux a villain) are adapted accurately, and the plot this time revolves around the quintessential Sonic macguffin.

It's basically the movie they should have made the first time around (and the director admitted years ago that he tried, but the studios said it was too out-there for general audiences so we got the road-trip movie instead).

Depends on what you didn't like about the first. If, for instance, you didn't like the human characters, Earth-based setting, and safe, family-movie script, then the second might still feel a bit mediocre. However, if you didn't like that it took almost no inspiration from the source material, the second will be just what the doctor ordered. There are at least four (off the top of my head) entire sequences in Sonic 2 that are lifted pretty faithfully from different parts of the 90s games, the character relationships between the two heroes and two antagonists (I won't call Knux a villain) are adapted accurately, and the plot this time revolves around the quintessential Sonic macguffin.

It's basically the movie they should have made the first time around (and the director admitted years ago that he tried, but the studios said it was too out-there for general audiences so we got the road-trip movie instead).
That sounds promising tbh, the first felt like a movie with Sonic just pasted in for IP purposes, what you described sounds like an actual Sonic movie.

That sounds promising tbh, the first felt like a movie with Sonic just pasted in for IP purposes, what you described sounds like an actual Sonic movie.
That's exactly it. The studio wanted a boilerplate CGI-buddy family film, but the director, writers, and actors are actual Sonic fans. That's why the first movie, while not faithful to the games in its story, is chock-full of references to the game and the community. Sonic 2 is the movie the director and team actually wanted to make.

Blown away that I'm in a timeline where daytime talk shows are covering our blue boi.
lRgJ0R2_d.webp

Finally got to see this, really, really enjoyed it. I was kinda lukewarm on the first movie outside of Carrey's performance, but this is undeniably the best video game movie adaptation in existence.

...not much of an accomplishment, but yeah!

Knuckles and Eggman obviously stole the show but I really enjoyed Sonic's growth in this one, he was a bit more obnoxious at the start (I liked the first movie leaning more into his loneliness and vulnerability) but that obnoxiousness worked well for his character arc and maturity. Tails was a good foil to him, and I had a big grin on my face during the whole third act. Got legit chills during the hero shot of the trio, ready to roll into battle.

The human subplot wasn't as bad as I feared and the payoff with the GUN reveal worked but I definitely think they could have shaved 3-5 minutes off the extended wedding action sequence to give more setup to Tails and the plot in general. There was also a really weird edit when Knuckles saves Sonic in the water and brings him to the beach, there was basically no transition to speak of, but not a big deal.

I came out of Sonic 1 hopeful they could do something fun with the setup. I came out of Sonic 2 downright excited for this version of the franchise going forward. If the first movie was a 3/5 elevated by Carrey, this was a strong 4/5 elevated by the whole third act.

The Knuckles miniseries I am eagerly awaiting for. Not enough to sub for Paramount+ for more than the free trial, but nonetheless!

Last edited:
SPOILER!!

Now if only other Sonic music would make an appearance in these movies, ffs

Last edited:
I saw it earlier today. It was a great time and Carey brought the goods at Eggman yet again. Perfect sequel to the last one. I know Carey said he's considering retiring and he should if it's what he really wants. That said I hope he'd make an exception for Sonic and would return for another movie. I know the writers said they won't recast him but that they hoped to lure him back with a strong script.

I saw it earlier today. It was a great time and Carey brought the goods at Eggman yet again. Perfect sequel to the last one. I know Carey said he's considering retiring and he should if it's what he really wants. That said I hope he'd make an exception for Sonic and would return for another movie. I know the writers said they won't recast him but that they hoped to lure him back with a strong script.
Honestly at this point if Carrey didn't come back I think I'd be okay with Stone taking the reigns, especially if the main antagonist role will be mostly carried by Shadow this time around. Obviously I'd love to have Jim come back for one last blast but I could see it working without him.

I went into the movie blind and thank god I did because watching this trailer now... yeah that spoils a shitton
It does, omg. I told myself I wouldn't watch anything after the first trailer because the reveals of the Tornado and Knuckles were perfect enough for me to be sold. But then the THUMBNAILS on YouTube started spoiling stuff to the point where I finally said "eff it" and watched the second trailer. I was then able to basically piece together the entire movie because of how they showed Sonic getting to Hawaii and Robotnik dismantling all the heavy machinery into the big Eggman bot. So I ended up coming out of the movie feeling like I had been legitimately spoiled on all the story beats. There weren't really any surprises left in terms of the setpieces.

Loved the movie, don't get me wrong. But I felt like I spent my first viewing less watching the movie and more just waiting for the big moments from the trailer because I could see them all coming.

Too many trailers do that nowadays.

Too many trailers do that nowadays.
This is true but it's always been the case. I'd even argue it used to be worse, trailers used to literally narrative the movie's plot and often spoil the big twists.

While Sonic 2's trailers did show off all the big action setpieces, I had begun to think the temple and ice cavern sequences were one long scene, and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were separate entirely. Plus I appreciate that the marketing bothered to keep up the kayfabe of Knuckles being Sonic's enemy and resist showing any shots of him fighting with the good guys; even Batman V Superman's trailer showed their own Trinity shot.

Plus I appreciate that the marketing bothered to keep up the kayfabe of Knuckles being Sonic's enemy and resist showing any shots of him fighting with the good guys; even Batman V Superman's trailer showed their own Trinity shot.
Ah, true. I guess maybe what's weird is they marketed it like a drama..? Sorta? In that the narrative and character arcs was mostly kept under wraps but the action was shown. So in this movie with big action setpieces I ended up much more surprised by little character moments. Especially the "I love you guys" near the end. 💙💙💙

Ah, true. I guess maybe what's weird is they marketed it like a drama..? Sorta? In that the narrative and character arcs was mostly kept under wraps but the action was shown. So in this movie with big action setpieces I ended up much more surprised by little character moments. Especially the "I love you guys" near the end. 💙💙💙
Yeah that moment at the end with Sonic and his family, prepared to die together was surprisingly emotional, even got me to tear up a little. I really do think the last chunk of the movie of Sonic running across the water to credits is like, as close as you can get to a 10/10 Sonic movie. The first two acts had some dialogue and plot/pacing problems, but the third act is what elevates this to something better than the sums of its parts.

Like I said, as someone who was kinda lukewarm on the first movie, I never imagined we would get a shot like this in the sequel (spoilers, obviously):

unknown.png

I do wonder what they'll do with the human stuff going forward as it's becoming increasingly a shackle for this cinematic universe the more it embraces the Sonic lore, but I'll enjoy the ride in the meanwhile.

My one hope with the Knuckles miniseries is the tone is a bit more serious; the PG Deadpool approach works when Sonic is the main character, but I'd like to see them really flex their dramatic muscles with the proud echidna warrior. Nothing crazy dark, but maybe something closer to say, ATLA.

Yeah that moment at the end with Sonic and his family, prepared to die together was surprisingly emotional, even got me to tear up a little. I really do think the last chunk of the movie of Sonic running across the water to credits is like, as close as you can get to a 10/10 Sonic movie. The first two acts had some dialogue and plot/pacing problems, but the third act is what elevates this to something better than the sums of its parts.

Like I said, as someone who was kinda lukewarm on the first movie, I never imagined we would get a shot like this in the sequel (spoilers, obviously):

unknown.png

I do wonder what they'll do with the human stuff going forward as it's becoming increasingly a shackle for this cinematic universe the more it embraces the Sonic lore, but I'll enjoy the ride in the meanwhile.

My one hope with the Knuckles miniseries is the tone is a bit more serious; the PG Deadpool approach works when Sonic is the main character, but I'd like to see them really flex their dramatic muscles with the proud echidna warrior. Nothing crazy dark, but maybe something closer to say, ATLA.
Yes to all this.
Especially the bit about Sonic running over the water. I applaud Ben Schwartz for being able to deliver the meme line "Gotta go fast" in a way that made me cheer instead of laugh. And then the way the ultra wide shot was framed as he launched out across the ocean, the booming rooster tail of spray in his wake, fuck that was some cinema. It's like at that point the entire movie launched with him.

Hi I’m very late so pardon the bump but I finally got around to watching this to accompany Frontiers and WHEW!

My only real sticking point is that I wish it didn’t have the baggage of the first movie’s human characters. The wedding plot was alright, if not a bit too extended, but having mom and dad shoehorned into the final showdown was just a bit too much going on. I wanted Tails and Knuckles to get more time to shine.

Jesus though, for this to be the most successful video game adaption… what a win. For the series, the industry… and Shadow is next?! Whew baby. I did not expect Sonic to rise like this in 2022.

My only real sticking point is that I wish it didn’t have the baggage of the first movie’s human characters.
I agree, but I appreciate that they had the guts to just ship them off and have them mostly out of the movie after people said they really wanted a more Sonic/Tails movie, without completely erasing them (which could've alienated people who did connect with them during the first movie).

It was a tightrope walk, and it could've been worse.

My biggest sticking point was Robotnik flossing. 😅

The wedding plot was alright, if not a bit too extended, but having mom and dad shoehorned into the final showdown was just a bit too much going on. I wanted Tails and Knuckles to get more time to shine.
I interpreted it as Sonic needing to have that big emotional release moment in order to activate the Chaos Emeralds and go Super. And Sonic would have a stronger emotional reaction to them being in danger than Tails and Knuckles. I think it was done with the right intentions (and damned if Cyclops ain't charming as hell in those moments), but I definitely do agree that overall the final battle shoulda had more S/T/K stuff.

Especially the sprint down main street, that was fantastic and needed to last a lot longer in a movie about a dude who runs real fast.

Back
Top Bottom