• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (film) - Final Trailer

Yup it’s pretty hype

sdjtdws8ncn81.jpg

They included the sonic sky diving animation, movie is already goated with the sauce

I'd also like to point out that one of the new Japanese trailers has Knuckles going "ORA ORA ORA" like he does in Adventure 2. ❤️

How crazy is it that we could have the quintessential example of how to properly make a video game movie, from Sonic the Hedgehog of all brands.
Sonic does a lot right, we just forget because it also does a lot wrong.

How crazy is it that we could have the quintessential example of how to properly make a video game movie, from Sonic the Hedgehog of all brands.
What's amazing is Paramount almost goofed it up. It took worldwide backlash (including from Sonic's creators) for the studio to course-correct and then, only then, it was the combination of the outspoken fan reaction saying "moar like the game plz" and the subsequent success of the film that pushed them to allow for a more faithful adaptation. Without both of those things together (the fan reaction to the first trailer AND the success once they changed it), I don't think we'd be getting the Sonic 2 we're getting. It might be a fluke. Lord knows if Sonic 3 will be good (I hope it will) or the Mario movie (plz be weird and creative), but we are at least getting this perfect moment where we have the "good timeline" version of Sonic 2.

WITH THE DEATH EGG ROBOT, FOR CHRISSAKES YALL

God, less than a month away. 💙

This looks so good! Ima either go and see it with my best friend or my gf in april or may. That sonic 2 tribute poster is cheffs kiss, i love how well they incorperate the videogame references in these movies. To think we went from that weird sonic design to some of the best and most enjoyable sonic content is indeed amazing!

Not watching the trailer or reading the comments in case they spoil anything, just wanna drop in here to say that I am unironically hyped for something Sonic related and that this fact is incredible to me

Whoever they got in charge of marketing this movie isn't being paid enough. Just enough self-aware humor and callbacks for longtime fans without feeling too cutesy (was just telling my friend the other day how much I love the Sonic 2 boxart and it translates to a movie poster wonderfully). Movie itself looks like a lot of fun too. Overall it definitely feels like the production was overhauled from the first, which was a pretty good kid movie, if very safe and restrained, to something that's unapologetically embracing the characters and story of the games. Carrey looks like he's having a blast as a fully realized Eggman and the budget got a big boost, looks like a proper blockbuster with some really cool set pieces.

Paramount must be really confident in this to greenlight a Knuckles spinoff. Makes sense as they're pretty desperate for tentpole IPs, but all signs point to this being a fun outing. Can't wait.

They changed his appearance in the marketing, though in the games he almost always looked the same.
This regional stuff is always amazing to me. Have you ever compared the NA vs Japanese boxart for the original Mega Drive Sonic games?

Yes! I was just talking about this on another site. The weird psychedelic pop art of the JP boxart is certainly something.
It is 90s and it is Sega and I love it. I'd love to see radical abstract design like that make a comeback, instead of every piece of promotional/packaging art having to look like a variation of an MCU poster.

Surprise Level: Below Zero. This is one of the rare Hollywood franchise projects that feels like it has a ton of love and passion behind it. More like this please.
Yesss. I've been begging for a game movie that has the same love and source material respect that filmmakers give to books. If Sonic ends up being the game adaptation equivalent to Jurassic Park, imagine the game adaptation equivalent to Lord of the Rings. 🤯 (I'm gonna say it: Chrono Trigger)

Surprise Level: Below Zero. This is one of the rare Hollywood franchise projects that feels like it has a ton of love and passion behind it. More like this please.
Comparing the marketing and general feeling behind this movie to like, Morbius is night and day lol.

Would be cool if it can break the 80 percentile on Rotten Tomatoes.

Comparing the marketing and general feeling behind this movie to like, Morbius is night and day lol.

Would be cool if it can break the 80 percentile on Rotten Tomatoes.
I literally forgot Morbius was still coming out. 😅

People gotta realize that a shit ton of artists love sonic and the people working behind these movies are probably having their dreams come true. And after the whole debacle of his initial design and fixing it, it seems they put a lot more focus letting the art department decide things so we are having a renaissance of good marketing since everyone working on this grew up and knows these characters and games, so they know exactly what their doing and what needs to be done.

Can't wait for the end credit scene and hopefully we see Shadow or the watery Chaos. Tapping into the Adventure series storylines. A live action Chaos would be amazing to watch in CG with modern tech/modern take on him. And of course Shadow whole story alongside Eggman learning of his grandfather and the Robotnik base on the moon. (They better. AND I MEAN BETTER. Tap Crush 40 to use their songs for future movies. No remixes or covers. Just the original songs blasting in the background with Sonic and gang doing their thing. Everyone will be hype).

People gotta realize that a shit ton of artists love sonic and the people working behind these movies are probably having their dreams come true. And after the whole debacle of his initial design and fixing it, it seems they put a lot more focus letting the art department decide things so we are having a renaissance of good marketing since everyone working on this grew up and knows these characters and games, so they know exactly what their doing and what needs to be done.
As a graphic designer I can confirm there are times when a client comes in and says "I need a design for this thing" and the thing is something I am a much bigger and more knowledgeable fan of than they are, and rather than just sticking strictly to what they ask for I'll go "okay I know how to do this right though," and will actually advocate for a reference-filled design that'd be more of a fan-pleaser. The Genesis-inspired poster strikes me as one of those situations. There's no way a marketing exec at Paramount came up with that fuckin masterpiece idea.

They better. AND I MEAN BETTER. Tap Crush 40 to use their songs for future movies. No remixes or covers. Just the original songs blasting in the background with Sonic and gang doing their thing.
I will push back a tiny bit on the "no remixes" part... Have you heard the 30th anniversary concert they did last year? Just saying, Crush 40's Sonic music hits pretty hard with a symphony orchestra backing them. 😉

As a graphic designer I can confirm there are times when a client comes in and says "I need a design for this thing" and the thing is something I am a much bigger and more knowledgeable fan of than they are, and rather than just sticking strictly to what they ask for I'll go "okay I know how to do this right though," and will actually advocate for a reference-filled design that'd be more of a fan-pleaser. The Genesis-inspired poster strikes me as one of those situations. There's no way a marketing exec at Paramount came up with that fuckin masterpiece idea.

I will push back a tiny bit on the "no remixes" part... Have you heard the 30th anniversary concert they did last year? Just saying, Crush 40's Sonic music hits pretty hard with a symphony orchestra backing them. 😉
I've seen the 30th anniversary orchestra and I agree a orchestra is always great. But I need that raw nostalgia that just doesn't age and kids would still like since the music perfectly encapsulates the moment and hype of the song.

I said something in response to a Sonic post on twitter about how I'd like to see Crush 40 represented in the films and a guy tweeted on the same post "all you fans need to shut up about Crush 40 and try to listen to something other than game music" and I swear it's taking so much of my willpower to not respond to him with "no u"

Kid Cudi's new music video just spoiled what I expect is the best moment in this whole damn movie:

soEdj3g.png

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee💙💙💙

FYI yall, be really really careful online from here on out. A single Youtube thumbnail just spoiled two major things for Sonic 2 for me. The brazen spoilers are out there now.

This looks fun.

This looks like good fun properly using videogame source material as a building base.

How?

How did we go from emergency scramble fixing this horror show:
Nt-p-dyzpnYa9y6lN2C2JkLLg07dJJyIeL-fCjGwwfk.jpg

To this damn good?
il_794xN.3749856704_9l64.jpg

That doesn't happen. Not in this dimension.

This looks fun.

This looks like good fun properly using videogame source material as a building base.

How?

How did we go from emergency scramble fixing this horror show:
Nt-p-dyzpnYa9y6lN2C2JkLLg07dJJyIeL-fCjGwwfk.jpg

To this damn good?
il_794xN.3749856704_9l64.jpg

That doesn't happen. Not in this dimension.
Peter and Stephen accidentally opened up the multiverse and now films are leaking in from a universe where video game movies are good

Awesome!

Wait....

Oh no, that means the other universe is being assaulted by our crappy videogame movies!
Nah, they're good. It's like a vacuum. High pressure (good movies) rush to fill the low pressure (bad movies) area, they don't simply swap.

IGN just announced they'll be hosting the official red carpet livestream for Sonic 2...

...on their TikTok.

Exclusively.

😑

Back
Top Bottom