• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Sonic Prime, Netlfix’s new Sonic the Hedgehog show (Update: Out Now)

Red Monster

Mr. Noodle
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Netflix dropped this trailer today for Sonic Prime, a new animated Sonic the Hedgehog show. The trailer has Sonic, Shadow, and Eggman. And it actually looks pretty cool! It reminds me of the old Sonic X cartoon, except this time the show is set in Sonic’s world. I’m definitely gonna check it out when it comes out!

This looks promising. It’s got a closer the Genesis game’s aesthetic that I really like, more abstract kind of like the more comedic Sonic cartoon of the early 90s.

Yeah but it'll give them a chance to make good on Iizuka's declaration of "everything is canon" when it comes to the Sonic movies, games, cartoons, anime, comics, etc etc etc 🤣
In a multiverse I guess everything has got to be canon?

The trailer looks nice anyway

Everything about this looks so so so good except I still can't get over how weird the figure 8 looks the way they animated it as a solid object 😳
It seems like a stylistic choice. The show seems to be going for this CGI western anime aesthetic akin to the 2012 Ninja Turtles series. So simplified animations such as Sonic's legs at max speed or Tails hovering are probably part of that style.

with the concept being so similar to Frontier's story here it simultaneously makes me wish Frontiers was more ambitious and excites me for the future of the games

I need to watch some actual episodes, as western cartoon trailers always seem to focus on the more comedic parts even when the show has a lot more to offer (look at how Disney marketed the Ducktales reboot). So far I'm not a huge fan of the animation though. It looks good and bouncy in parts, but also reliant on cheap stock animations in others. Plus, Man of Action handled that awful Megaman show before this, so...still kind of wary so far.

Kids put this on with some excitement this morning. Didn't hear them laugh though. There was some very heavy setup happening in the the bits I saw.

Kids put this on with some excitement this morning. Didn't hear them laugh though. There was some very heavy setup happening in the the bits I saw.
Wait it's out already?? I only heard everyone talking about that weird Roblox viewing. Why was it not in my recommendations? The algorithm is failing, Netflix!!! This is so up my alley!!!!

Wait it's out already?? I only heard everyone talking about that weird Roblox viewing. Why was it not in my recommendations? The algorithm is failing, Netflix!!! This is so up my alley!!!!
It is definitely out in the UK. It was advertised for a while as launching on the 15th.

episode 2 starts with an actually very good sonic vs. shadow fight scene?

i never expected man of action to be able to pull something like that off. the show's not... especially good, but it's definitely alright for what it is with a bunch of surprisingly good action moments sprinkled in

Watched the first 4 episodes yesterday, and so far I'm enjoying it. It's not a masterpiece, but it is very well made and pretty entertaining.

Man I am loving the heck out of this show! My son and I finished it in 3 days and almost every episode was very enjoyable. Funny and somewhat serous at times with a ton of call backs and Easter eggs to the games.

I can’t wait until season two.

I watched the full first eight episode batch last week and didn't notice there was a thread for this here. Gotta get my thoughts out somewhere!

Have to to get this out of the way first though; fuck Netflix. Also fuck Netflix again for calling these episode batches "seasons" when they are just single episode orders. Screwing the staff of these shows over by cheating them out of the pay increases that come from season renewals yet presenting them that way to audeinces (getting all benefit from season "announcement" promotion and renewed interest) is a terrible, terrible practice.

As for the show itself... it's okay, fairly standard kids fare nowadays. Animation is about what I expected from the studio's past works like that Mega Man cartoon; stilted during a lot of action, some good expressions during dialogue focused scenes; one of those shows where certain sequences look far better than the others. Fully recognise the target audeince is not me so I also recognise that not every gag is going to land for me, that's fine. I guess I assumed it would be an episodic affair going in; each episode with a different wacky alternate universe, a few cliffhangers here and there and obviously the big finale at the end; but i'm pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn out that way at all! The back half of the first batch especially caught me off guard, but even before then. In case anyone is seriously engaged in the plot developments of Sonic Prime i'll put this part in spoilers:

The jungle universe wrapped up pretty nicely I felt, if we check back in on them it'll probably be the Eggmen invading and Sonic having to come back to help. The opposite is true of the pirate universe, a lot left to resolve over there. Pirate Knuckles going mad over the prisim and the crew being abandoned by both him and Sonic (the latter unintentionally) will certainly make the revisit interesting, as I imagine things will only get worse.

The bad future universe is obviously going to be a through-line across the whole series; will only reach its resolution at the very end; but I think it's easy to see where it'll go.

A serialised series with humor as genuinely funny as Sonic Boom could be would be the perfect Sonic show for me; but this fine.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode

I liked it. For a children's Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, it's pretty fun, perfectly watchable

I finally watched the first episode. It’s alright. Obviously a kids show. But Sonic doesn’t floss even once in the entire episode.

10/10

Like many people said, Prime definately feels like a kids show. But I think that's part of its charm. It's got that fun early 2000s Saturday Morning Action Cartoon feel that I think fits Sonic very well, like something you'd see on Fox Kids or Kids' WB! back in the day.

In an era where adults are obsessed with children's entertainment being "deep" and "mature", it's also nice to have a decent kids show that embraces the fact that it is indeed, a kids show.

Just wondering, is this show the "Into the Sonicverse" that I thought it would be?

Just wondering, is this show the "Into the Sonicverse" that I thought it would be?
that's a very fraught comparison to begin with, but no. the show's entirely self-contained, doesn't reference any other continuity. the universes that sonic visits are creations of the show, though it does occasionally reference the game timelines and stories

Netflix dropped this trailer today for Sonic Prime, a new animated Sonic the Hedgehog show. The trailer has Sonic, Shadow, and Eggman. And it actually looks pretty cool! It reminds me of the old Sonic X cartoon, except this time the show is set in Sonic’s world. I’m definitely gonna check it out when it comes out!

Whatever happened to Sonic Boom? Do people still like it? I heard that it was quite popular of a show.

Back
Top Bottom