• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Origins |ST| Gotta Go Past! [Plus Expansion Pack + Physical Release Coming June 23, 2023]

Knuckles adventure
And now I'm obligated to share this:

Seriously though, I agree that S3K is the greatest of the Genesis series. I usually see Sonic 2 being lauded as such, but 3K just feels like the pinnacle of what Sonic was in the 90s. I also constantly refer back to it as an example of how games can tell complete stories through gameplay and level progression with zero cutscenes or dialogue. It's fantastic.

And now I'm obligated to share this:

Seriously though, I agree that S3K is the greatest of the Genesis series. I usually see Sonic 2 being lauded as such, but 3K just feels like the pinnacle of what Sonic was in the 90s. I also constantly refer back to it as an example of how games can tell complete stories through gameplay and level progression with zero cutscenes or dialogue. It's fantastic.

I think Sonic 2 often wins out due to sheer popularity and the fact that it's a shorter, more speed focused game, but I'd absolutely argue that Sonic 3K nails everything the best. There's a reason it was the basis for Mania. And yes, especially for the Sonic & Tails adventure, its perfectly done. Simple yet effective.

The Death Egg Robot hurts me to fight, especially since you have to fight Silver Sonic every attempt.
Death Egg Robot is a real pain. The fact that you have to do the Silver Sonic fight makes it easy to want to rush, but once you get to the big bad itself, I find that it is worth it to take your time and not try to sneak hits in unless you're very used to how the fists are. With some practice, the basic pattern is pretty recognizable, and with Anniversary Mode's infinite lives, it's a matter of time until you win.

Death Egg Robot is a real pain. The fact that you have to do the Silver Sonic fight makes it easy to want to rush, but once you get to the big bad itself, I find that it is worth it to take your time and not try to sneak hits in unless you're very used to how the fists are. With some practice, the basic pattern is pretty recognizable, and with Anniversary Mode's infinite lives, it's a matter of time until you win.
Yeah, I eventually got it done. Had to see someone timing their jumps to get an idea when I could hit him outside of his jump attack (lest the fight take 20 minutes)

I’ve gotten through 1 and CD and Mission Mode, but I’m feeling a little burned out. I really don’t like going for special stages without the cushion of save states or rewind any more. I’ve got about 700 coins so I’m not going to run out before I clear everything, even with being bad enough to use 50 of them up on CD’s special stages. I just hate making a mistake that I know will cost me the shiny and then having to wait until time runs out before I can reload/retry.

Kinda bulldonk that there’s a retry option in normal stages but not special stages, imo. I’m fine with using up a coin on a retry if I don’t have to sit there for up to 30 or 40 seconds waiting for another chance. the way it is now doesn’t respect the player’s time.

maybe nit picky, I don’t know.

How many times are different outlets or YouTubers going to make the same article / video about this game being not up to par, like chill

The next Speed Strats has arrived, this one covering Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We got at least one more coming up, talking about different secrets in the collection.

The only nitpick thing about the presentation that irks me slightly is that...they never bothered to make a Classic Knuckles model to go with Sonic and Tails.

S3&K is THE game Knuckles was introduced in and Angel Island in the background doesn't have him gliding around like the others. I get all that stuff are just Generations flips more or less, but still it feels incomplete.

Oh...and make Classic Amy for CD as well.

Otherwise I still enjoy the collection and look forward to the first couple of patches.

This episode of Speed Strats covers all sorts of secrets that you can find in the four games. This isn't the last episode - the next one will be providing some actual speedrun strategies! Now the series name isn't just for show.

Dang, only a month after release and we already got a sale? And only on the Digital Deluxe version? Wild times!
Yeah I'm kinda shocked that a sale came this early, then doubly shocked that it's the deluxe only. Almost like Sega is acknowledging that the deluxe should have been the only version

Yeah I'm kinda shocked that a sale came this early, then doubly shocked that it's the deluxe only. Almost like Sega is acknowledging that the deluxe should have been the only version
Well...They're not wrong, lol, even if the extras aren't really worth it at all besides some of the missions.

It's the final Speed Strats, this time talking about speedrun techniques in all four games. Lots of Sonic Heroes references in this one, lol. And one little reference near the end I think Fami will appreciate. So at this point, I guess this marks the end of the Sonic Origins' promotion! Now to wait for those patches...

Version 1.0.4 Update
Sonic Origins has been updated to Version 1.0.4. We got a few key fixes:
  • Added features to the "Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles" sound test
  • Fixed track mismatches in the Museum for certain music tracks included in the Classic Music Pack
  • Corrected an issue in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 where Tails goes off-screen and is unable to rejoin
  • Additional bug fixes

The lost infinite jumping Tails was fixed???
Haven't tried the patch out myself, but that's what this sounds like.

Interesting note - the patch was out for PS4, don't see it up yet on Switch. Don't think this will be anything more than momentary, though. If you're on Switch, maybe give it a bit and check back later?

I'm interested to hear more about if the patch fixes some of the initial complaints. Also, is there a physical edition or plans for one? If patch fixes the big issues I'd really like to a have a copy to put on my shelf next to Mania.

Holding out for that bilinear filter removal on Switch
Yeah honestly this is the deal breaker for me right now. It sounds like people have already forced the PC version to use Mania’s integer scaling so why it’s not been added to all versions officially is beyond me. They’ll probably never do it, good thing this isn’t a game with fast lateral movement or anything like that.

Version 1.0.4 Patch Notes + S3K New Passwords
The full patch notes for Version 1.0.4 have been posted to the Sonic Origins official site. Here they are, covering all of the fixes and tweaks that have come to the game across all platforms:
Update ver. 1.04 for Sonic Origins is now live.
Make sure to update your game for a smoother and more stable experience.

■Update details
・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Added a function to Sound Test.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Fixed a bug where Tails would not return from outside the screen and a sound effect would continually play.

・Fixed a bug that was causing some songs from the Classic Music Pack to have incorrect titles displayed in the Museum.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Fixed a bug that caused the sound effect for collecting Rings to be interrupted when collecting them in quick succession.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Adjusted Competition Mode on the Nintendo Switch™ so that it can be played without registering two Joy-Cons™ / Pro controllers. *Made registration for two Joy-Cons™ / Pro controllers in Time Attack unnecessary, and made it possible to cancel controller registration in other modes.

42 other bugfixes.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug where leaving many Item Boxes in front of the sub-boss of Hydrocity Zone Act 1 would cause the game to crash when defeating the sub-boss and moving on to the next Act.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug that was causing players to get stuck when playing a Special Stage from the level select menu after playing Time Attack Mode.

・Sonic the Hedgehog: Fixed a bug where retrying a stage in Classic Mode from My Data and getting a Game Over would make players get stuck at the Title Screen.

・Fixed a bug in the "Fireball Dash" mission where it was possible to move outside of the mission area, and clearing the mission would result in the player becoming stuck.

・Fixed a bug in the "Slippery Swim" mission that was causing invisible blocks to appear in areas they aren't supposed to appear in.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Competition mode that caused players to go back a lap when they took damage or fell out of the stage.

・Fixed a bug in the "Animal Rescue" mission where players would stand on top of clouds instead of bouncing or falling off them.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Angel Island Zone Act 1 that teleported players when the island is set on fire.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Carnival Night Zone Act 2 where the boss would leave the area if hit by a mid-air attack while entering.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug that caused a sound effect to continually play when the player transitioned stages after defeating the boss of Death Egg Zone Act 1.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Flying Battery Zone Act 1 that caused a sound effect to continually play if a player transitioned stages when close to a magnetic object.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Fixed a bug that caused Tails' flight sound effect to continually play after moving to the next stage if you were flying with Tails during the transition.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Fixed a bug in 2 Player VS mode where the time would never expire if it reached 0 during a player mistake.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Competition Mirror Mode that was causing the courses to not be mirrored.

・Fixed a bug in the "Bounce House" mission where characters would become inoperable if they collided with a Bounce Pad from the bottom when time expired.

・Fixed a bug in the "Extreme! Super Sonic Finish" mission where falling off the platform shortly after reaching the goal would cause the camera to lock and prevent the player from progressing.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug that caused Sonic and Tails to get stuck on a burning rope in the middle of Angel Island Zone Act 2, which made it impossible to progress.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: When starting in Classic Mode with a save file where the game has been cleared, entering and exiting a Special Stage without touching a checkpoint would cause the game time to incorrectly start at 9:59.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: When starting the game as Sonic with a cleared-game save data file, performing certain actions in Angel Island Zone Act 1 would cause the player to be incorrectly moved to Knuckles' boss area route.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Classic Mode where performing certain actions in the boss fight of Lava Reef Zone Act 2 would make the camera shift, and the character would fall out of the stage.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Angel Island Zone Act 1 where performing certain actions after the stage is set on fire caused the player to lose a life.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Lava Reef Zone Act 2 that allowed players to avoid the falling boulder that moves them to the boss stage.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Story Mode: Fixed a bug where the transition time from Mystic Cave Zone Act 2 to Hidden Palace 2 would be added to the player's Best Time.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in the boss battle of Hydrocity Zone Act 2 that caused an invisible ceiling to appear, which prevented players from jumping higher.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug where immediately opening the pause menu when entering the first Special Ring in Mushroom Hill Zone Act 1 and selecting "Restart" would cause players to start the stage from an unnatural position.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Starting the game in Classic Mode using saved data with a recorded Time Over in Angel Island Zone Act 1, and then getting a Game Over would cause players to immediately lose a life upon reaching the sub-boss.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Fixed a bug that was causing crashes due to incorrect object calculations.

・Fixed a bug in the "Aerial Attack" mission where players would get stuck on blocks and be unable to move.

・Fixed a typo in the credits.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug where opening the pause menu just before entering a Special Stage and then selecting "Restart" would move the player to a different Act.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug where coins would be increased in debug mode.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug where the BGM in Special Stages would slow down after collecting 50 Rings.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: When starting the game in Classic Mode on a save file with a recorded Time Over, the Time would not reset from 9:59 upon clearing a stage.

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Classic Mode of Death Egg Zone Act 2 where opening the pause menu and selecting "Restart" after transitioning to the boss stage would cause the player restart the boss fight with 0:10 Time.

・Removed an extra space from "PlayStation™Store" in the Simplified Chinese text. (PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4)

・Fixed a bug where exiting while connected to Xbox Live and syncing data would cause the game to crash. (Xbox Series X|S)

・Fixed a bug where having multiple autosaves in a short period of time would result in them not saving correctly. (PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4)

・Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: Fixed a bug in Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 that caused textures of objects to not display correctly. (Nintendo Switch™)

・Fixed a bug that was causing save file contents to be different when manually saving the game. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)

・Fixed a bug that caused the game to freeze for about 10 seconds when going to offline mode after launching the game in online mode. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)

・Fixed a bug where launching the game while connected to a network, disconnecting from that network after reaching the Main Menu, playing a sound in the Museum, and then returning to the Main Menu would result in a crash after 15 seconds. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)

・Fixed a bug that was causing lower-performance GPUs to be automatically selected in multiple-GPU systems. (Steam / Epic Games)
These fixes are all great, but what might be the most interesting is the "added function" to Sonic 3K sound test. What this appears to be are a litany of cheat codes that were found in the base release of Origins but weren't implemented. Some of these codes are directly from Sonic Mania, featuring the same effects as in that game. Many are brand new, however. We got Super Peel-Out, altered competition mode movesets/physics, and other neat features! The full list of known passwords can currently be found here.

The full patch notes for Version 1.0.4 have been posted to the Sonic Origins official site. Here they are, covering all of the fixes and tweaks that have come to the game across all platforms:

These fixes are all great, but what might be the most interesting is the "added function" to Sonic 3K sound test. What this appears to be are a litany of cheat codes that were found in the base release of Origins but weren't implemented. Some of these codes are directly from Sonic Mania, featuring the same effects as in that game. Many are brand new, however. We got Super Peel-Out, altered competition mode movesets/physics, and other neat features! The full list of known passwords can currently be found here.
Amazing

I wish we got a this kind of collection for other games too

Interesting questions on this poll...

I would very much appreciate Sonic Origins DLC, even if some of these could have been better in the base game. Wonder if this will actually lead to DLC or just plans for future Sonic games or collections.

So I just fired up the game, saw I was on Sonic 1's island and selected to play Anniversary Mode. And I played it. Then when I got to the end I was kinda dissatisfied that I hardly got any emeralds so I decided to start over and.. well I had to savescum a lot but I did a second full Sonic 1 playthrough, this time getting all the emeralds. Woo! But then I remembered something about the updated version of the games would take you seamlessly from one game into the next and I couldn't understand why it kept ending and putting me back at the island. So I googled and.. it's a separate story mode, and it's under the missions menu. Which is weird but.. like.. kay.

Well I wanted to do story mode so long story short I played Sonic 1 three times back-to-back today.

Cons: three full runs of Labyrinth Zone 😩
Pros: three full runs of Star Light Zone ❤️

I had forgotten how completely bonkers the level design of Sonic CD was.

Between the level design, visual design, and the music.. this whole game is a vibe, my god.

So I finally completed story mode, and I gotta say

S3K is peak Sonic to me. Like it's not even close. Especially the back half (the &K part) is just so, so good. And the payoff of Lava Reef into Hidden Palace into Sky Sanctuary into Death Egg, it's just a kiss of the chef.

💙

So I finally completed story mode, and I gotta say

S3K is peak Sonic to me. Like it's not even close. Especially the back half (the &K part) is just so, so good. And the payoff of Lava Reef into Hidden Palace into Sky Sanctuary into Death Egg, it's just a kiss of the chef.

💙
You are correct.

I want a real Sonic 4.

Digital deluxe is on sale on the eShop for $31.49, lowest price ever (down from $45).

Steam dev depot is still regularly being worked on; build number far ahead of the current public version. Wonder when the DLC will finally surface.

image.png

Bought this on the 50% off sale and really enjoying it. Not played CD since the PS3 release many years ago. Both soundtracks are off the wall crazy. In a great way. Shame it's a one and done kind of sound. If anything, I think I appreciate CD more now than I did when I got to finally play it on PS3. It sort of stands alone when contrasted against the other "classic" Sonic games. 2 used to be my favourite, but I think I'm edging more towards 3 & Knuckles nowadays.

Sonic Origins Plus Announcement Trailer

This has gotten discussion over on the main boards, but Sonic Origins Plus has finally been revealed with a release date of June 23, 2023 - Sonic's birthday and exactly one year after launch. The highlights are playable Knuckles in CD, playable Amy in all of the main games, plus all twelve Sonic Game Gear titles included. It also includes all of the content that was previously released as add-on content, including all of the paid DLC previously released for the game.

If you didn't purchase Sonic Origins yet, you're in luck - the game will cost the same $39.99 that the base release did, and there's a small art book and reversible cover that comes with the brand new physical release. For anyone who already owns Origins, however, this is not a free update - the Plus Expansion Pack will cost you $9.99.

I'll be updating the OP at a later point with the new details.

Notes from the Japanese site that aren't featured elsewhere:
  • "Some bugs and action behaviors have been fixed, and some specifications have been improved based on users' play reports." Incredibly vague statement, but seperately bugs / behaviors of specifications implies some other changes beyond simple fixes. Hopefully that includes subbing in the prototype tracks for Sonic 3 over those attrocious arrangements.
  • Knuckles is noted as having new routes in Sonic CD; which is a bit of a surprise. They did add extra paths for Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 mobile, but I didn't expect them to go back and do the same for Knuckles here.
  • Elsewhere on the site it is noted that the individual Classic Music Pack and Premium Fun Pack DLC will be delisted in June, as that content will now be included in the Plus version / upgrade.
They also show off the Japanese reverseable cover which, like Mania Plus, is different.

plus-04-img.png

Notes from the Japanese site that aren't featured elsewhere:
  • "Some bugs and action behaviors have been fixed, and some specifications have been improved based on users' play reports." Incredibly vague statement, but seperately bugs / behaviors of specifications implies some other changes beyond simple fixes. Hopefully that includes subbing in the prototype tracks for Sonic 3 over those attrocious arrangements.
  • Knuckles is noted as having new routes in Sonic CD; which is a bit of a surprise. They did add extra paths for Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 mobile, but I didn't expect them to go back and do the same for Knuckles here.
  • Elsewhere on the site it is noted that the individual Classic Music Pack and Premium Fun Pack DLC will be delisted in June, as that content will now be included in the Plus version / upgrade.
They also show off the Japanese reverseable cover which, like Mania Plus, is different.

plus-04-img.png

I kinda want that coaster, lol.

Sometimes I miss my SADX copy. I guess it doesn't matter much anyway since I've lost my memory card years ago. It was a great way to experience the Game Gear games for better or worse. Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure are pretty good Game Gear games to me from the selection of 12.

Back
Top Bottom