• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Origins |ST| Gotta Go Past! [Plus Expansion Pack + Physical Release Coming June 23, 2023]

Sometimes I miss my SADX copy. I guess it doesn't matter much anyway since I've lost my memory card years ago. It was a great way to experience the Game Gear games for better or worse. Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure are pretty good Game Gear games to me from the selection of 12.
At least the D-pad options are better now.

So glad to hear they came back after the assumption that their public displeasure would have them blacklisted by Sega. Good on Sega and good on Headcannon!

So glad to see Headcannon involved with Plus.

On that note, some encouraging news on SEGA and Headcannon's working relationship being a positive one:

It's crazy to me it's been almost 6 years since Sonic Mania and Origins is the only product Mania team members have worked on since. I thought for sure Sega would have doubled down on new 2D Sonic games, especially during a time when the time between 3D Sonic releases has gotten longer.

It's crazy to me it's been almost 6 years since Sonic Mania and Origins is the only product Mania team members have worked on since. I thought for sure Sega would have doubled down on new 2D Sonic games, especially during a time when the time between 3D Sonic releases has gotten longer.
Well... not really. It's the only Sonic product those teams have worked on, yeah, but they have been neck-deep in developing their own games since. I think Whitehead even formed a new studio or something.

gives me some hope they'll get rid of that awful blur filter... Cmon headcannon, work your magic.

Sucks we basically had to wait 1 year for this compilation to be remotely functional though, but at least we get tons of great games as a bonus.

Sonic Origins Plus Launch Trailer
Happy Birthday Sonic! Sonic Origins Plus is now out on all platforms.

A few things of note:
  • The base price of Sonic Origins has dropped to $30. So digitally, you can buy Origins and buy the Plus Expansion Pack at a later point for the same price as Sonic Origins Plus.
  • From what I've heard, the physical release has Origins Plus as a download code. The Disk/Cartridge only has Origins on it. Buyer beware!
  • The Plus Expansion Pack comes with all of the DLC from the base game, Knuckles in Sonic CD (with some new routes in each Zone), Amy in all of the main games, and Game Gear games. Currently, the Game Gear games have some sloppy audio thanks to a weird stereo filter and a pixel perfect aspect ratio you cannot change
  • Separately from the DLC, Sonic Origins received an update that addressed a couple of issues. The music and visuals have not been touched, but there are a few good fixes. The "roll lock" that was in Sonic 1 and 2 has been fixed, meaning that the Drop Dash in particular feels more correct. The pistons in Sonic 2 launch you ever so slightly lower so that you don't get thrown into spikes unintentionally. Sonic 3 has seen a few collision fixes here and there; for example, Special Stage that was rendered inaccessible by solo Sonic in Hydrocity Zone Act 2 due to him not being able to reach the platform anymore now works like in the original (so Sonic can now reach it).
  • According to SteamDB, there still seems to be work in the project, so perhaps we'll get an additional patch?
I haven't tried the patch or the DLC myself. Feel free to share your impressions here!

Quoted by: Tye
From what I've heard, the physical release has Origins Plus as a download code. The Disk/Cartridge only has Origins on it. Buyer beware!
Okay, but if this is true, this would actually get me to buy the physical release now instead of waiting like I had originally planned. If that is the case, it’s probably to keep parity with the digital version; with Sonic Mania, the initial physical version they released was incompatible with the digital version’s save data, play activity records, etc. because it was treated as a separate game on Switch since Sonic Mania Plus had a different title and had DLC built-in. They later released a physical version of Sonic Mania without the Plus content which is compatible with the digital version, though. For that reason, I’ve been expecting the same to happen here, so I’d want to hold off on buying the physical version if that was the case, but if that’s not the case and the physical version is in fact just the same as the digital version but with a DLC download code, then that’s great! (I always make sure to only buy physical copies when they’re compatible with their digital versions, in case I’d ever want to switch from physical to digital and just to give myself a hard rule as to which games I buy physically versus digitally.)

Okay, but if this is true, this would actually get me to buy the physical release now instead of waiting like I had originally planned. If that is the case, it’s probably to keep parity with the digital version; with Sonic Mania, the initial physical version they released was incompatible with the digital version’s save data, play activity records, etc. because it was treated as a separate game on Switch since Sonic Mania Plus had a different title and had DLC built-in. They later released a physical version of Sonic Mania without the Plus content which is compatible with the digital version, though. For that reason, I’ve been expecting the same to happen here, so I’d want to hold off on buying the physical version if that was the case, but if that’s not the case and the physical version is in fact just the same as the digital version but with a DLC download code, then that’s great! (I always make sure to only buy physical copies when they’re compatible with their digital versions, in case I’d ever want to switch from physical to digital and just to give myself a hard rule as to which games I buy physically versus digitally.)
This is the one big advantage, yeah, it's not some separate SKU. I'd probably be quite stressed over redoing some of those more difficult challenges! To be fair for my own personal case, though, I probably would just stick to physical at that point and not look back at the digital, but different strokes for different folks, ya know?

The biggest megaton for me here is the fact that they now have a customisable control menu, which means you can reallocate the Super Activation button, which in turn means you can now use the Switch Online Mega Drive/ Genesis controller to access Super Sonic

The biggest megaton for me here is the fact that they now have a customisable control menu, which means you can reallocate the Super Activation button, which in turn means you can now use the Switch Online Mega Drive/ Genesis controller to access Super Sonic
Oh shoot, I did get a Mega Drive controller recently. I should give it a shot when I get back home. I probably won't get to the DLC until later in the week, anyway!

Finished a playthrough of 3K with Amy earlier. Her implementation is a bit underwhelming unfortunately, the hammer is awkward to use, but it was still great to play through with her. It did remind me though that 3K is one of my all time favorite games; after I beat it I instantly started another playthrough with Sonic. Up there with SMB3 and DKC2 as some of the best 2D platforming in history.

I suppose the Origins Plus doesn't add any feature like save state, rewind or stuff like that ? Or even an ingame menu to change filters and options instead of having to quit to go back to the launcher to change anything ?

Games don't have to be incompatible like that though. If it was the case, that's because Sega screwed up royally.

For a practical example, I bought cuphead digitally way back when it came out, and then got Cuphead with the DLC included on the retail card and the save data carried over fine.

Games don't have to be incompatible like that though. If it was the case, that's because Sega screwed up royally.

For a practical example, I bought cuphead digitally way back when it came out, and then got Cuphead with the DLC included on the retail card and the save data carried over fine.
Really? Interesting… It’s frustrating that there isn’t enough data available on cases like this to know what to expect before you buy a game. From my observations years ago, it seemed consistent that if a game’s physical release is altered in any way from its digital release—that is, having a different title or publisher, which would obviously make it be a separate HOME Menu icon, or having purchasable DLC built-in—then it would be treated as a separate game entirely. But maybe this has changed in recent years, just like how it’s now possible to have multiple separate games (each with their own HOME Menu icon) on a single game card now while that wasn’t possible in the early years of Switch. Or it could just be that any case in which a physical game was thought to not be compatible with its digital version because of built-in DLC content was actually just for another reason, like having a different title or publisher. After all, that first Sonic Mania physical release was called Sonic Mania Plus, not just Sonic Mania. If the Cuphead physical release kept the same title and publisher then I guess that could make sense.

Picked up the physical edition on Switch today, will get stuck into it later but it’s a nice little package with art book, reversible cover and poster.

Picked up the physical edition on Switch today, will get stuck into it later but it’s a nice little package with art book, reversible cover and poster.
Can you confirm that what’s on the game card is indeed the same base game as the digital version (so titled “Sonic Origins” rather than “Sonic Origins Plus” on the HOME Menu) with the Plus DLC as a separate download code?

Can you confirm that what’s on the game card is indeed the same base game as the digital version (so titled “Sonic Origins” rather than “Sonic Origins Plus” on the HOME Menu) with the Plus DLC as a separate download code?

Yeah so the Plus content comes as a code in the box that I had to redeem on the eshop. The cart version is also 1.5.0? It’s downloading more updates currently.

Yeah so the Plus content comes as a code in the box that I had to redeem on the eshop. The cart version is also 1.5.0? It’s downloading more updates currently.
Awesome, thanks! In that case I’ll pick it up myself eventually. Might wait for a sale at this point though since I’ve already waited this long and it’s not exactly a priority for me, lol.

I suppose the Origins Plus doesn't add any feature like save state, rewind or stuff like that ? Or even an ingame menu to change filters and options instead of having to quit to go back to the launcher to change anything ?

No and the blur filter is still forced on you, which is very noticeable in the classic mode for these games and makes them fugly.

GG stuff at least works with the button remapping which i advise changing promptly as by default, I and II are backwards and it messed up my mean bean skills by a lot lol. Still find myself wanting M2 to port these over headcannon/ST though

Felt it was worth bringing this thread back up to mention SEGA have finally fixed the excessive sprite blur in the latest patch. And a few other things.

That solved one of the worst problems with this collection for me. The rest is just down to the clunky menus now which I doubt will ever be fixed.

Felt it was worth bringing this thread back up to mention SEGA have finally fixed the excessive sprite blur in the latest patch. And a few other things.

That solved one of the worst problems with this collection for me. The rest is just down to the clunky menus now which I doubt will ever be fixed.
So is this worth buying now? I need to add something to a Target online order to get free shipping and it's currently on sale for $30 physical (Plus version)

So is this worth buying now? I need to add something to a Target online order to get free shipping and it's currently on sale for $30 physical (Plus version)
oh holy cow, $30 for physical? Yeah I'd go for it. I wish they had launched it at $30 with a physical option.

Speaking of this bump about physical, is it still confirmed that the Plus content is a download and not on disc/cart like Sonic Mania Plus?

Back
Top Bottom