• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Origins |ST| Gotta Go Past! [Plus Expansion Pack + Physical Release Coming June 23, 2023]

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
Sonic Origins |ST| Gotta Go Past! By VolcanicDynamo

Release Date: June 23, 2022
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC (Steam & Epic Games Store) - Base is Digital Only, Plus is Physical/Digital
Price: $39.99 (Standard/Plus), $44.99 (Digital Deluxe), $9.99 (Plus Expansion Pack)
Number of Players: Single System (1-2)
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: SEGA, Headcannon
Genre: Action, Platformer, Adventure
Game File Size: 3.6 GB (Standard), 3.8 GB (Digital Deluxe)
Supported Languages: American English, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

Classic Sonic Redefined

Sonic Origins is a compilation of classic Sonic titles originally released on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive. Blast through Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles with new features and plenty of bonus content.

These aren’t just emulated ports - all the games in this collection are updated versions of the classic games. The versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD included in this collection are based on the 2011 and 2013 Retro Engine remakes done by Christian “Taxman” Whitehead and Simon “Stealth” Thomley of Headcanon. Headcannon has returned to develop the new remake of Sonic 3 and Knuckles found in this collection, also in Retro Engine. All other aspects of the title have been developed in-house at SEGA.

New Features

You can play each game in one of two modes. Classic Mode mimics the original format of each game with a 4:3 aspect ratio and a lives/continues system. Anniversary Mode presents each game in a 16:9 aspect ratio, infinite lives, coins replacing lives that can be used to retry special stages, and allows Sonic to perform the Drop Dash move from Sonic Mania. Like in the prior Retro Engine remakes, you can play as either Sonic or Tails in CD* or as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles in the other three titles.

Want to play all the games in one continuous adventure? Try out Story Mode, featuring new cutscenes animated by Powerhouse Animation Studios with Tyson Hesse and written by Sonic comic writer Ian Flynn. Or try out some of the additional modes each game provides. Boss Rush lets you take on all of Dr. Eggman’s diabolical contraptions. The unlockable mirror mode reverses all of the act layouts - hope your muscle memory doesn’t get in the way!

*Sonic Origins Plus adds Knuckles to Sonic CD - see below for details.

Missions & Museum Mode

Beyond the games themselves, Sonic Origins packs in a Mission Mode, tasking you with clearing certain objectives. Clearing these missions rewards coins based on the Rank you receive. As previously mentioned, these coins can be spent in Anniversary Mode to retry failed special stages, but they can also be used to purchase artwork, music, and videos in the museum.

The museum contains a bevy of content, from a full sound test to concept art and other illustrations. It even contains all six episodes of the Sonic Mania Adventures web series.

The Return of a Classic (& Knuckles)

The star of the show is the brand new remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, marking its first rerelease since 2011. Alongside the enhancements and additional features the other game received, this remake features lots of new touches to polish up the original experience. From new sprites and animations to a full screen competition mode during time trials and additional Blue Spheres stages, this remake is a labor of love by a dedicated team (well, that was the intent, anyway). So, why hasn't the game been rereleased since 2011, you might be wondering? The other Sonic games got ports all throughout the 2010s, after all. While there is no confirmed reason, speculation revolves around select pieces of music from the game.

Not all of Sonic 3’s music was composed in-house - Michael Jackson and his sound team, including his music director Brad Buxer, was hired by SEGA to compose some of the tracks. However, Jackson would go uncredited for his work - some say due to the emerging allegations of child sexual abuse, others due to Jackson being unhappy with how the Genesis made his music sound. The music used bears resemblance to other tracks - Ice Cap was derived from Hard Times, a then-unreleased track from Buxer’s band the Jetzons, Carnival Night resembles Jam, and the end credits theme would be the basis for Stranger in Moscow according to Buxer.

The 1997 Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC would feature some of the tracks replaced by different songs - including but not limited to Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, and the ending theme. It was speculated that all of the tracks that were replaced were done by Jackson and his sound team. The discovery of a Sonic 3 prototype containing the “replacement” tracks paints a fuller picture - SEGA composers wrote some songs prior to Jackson’s involvement, then Jackson and his music team composed new tracks which replaced the SEGA compositions, and finally SEGA reused the original tracks for the Sonic & Knuckles Collection to avoid any legal issues. It is speculated that, after Jackson’s death, licensing issues with the tracks kept SEGA from rereleasing the game further.

The solution SEGA has taken for Sonic Origins is to replace the Jackson tracks with their equivalents from the Sonic 3 prototype/Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Most of the replacement tracks are lifted directly from the Sonic 3 prototype, while a few other tracks (namely Carnival Night and Launch Base) were rearranged to better match their Sonic & Knuckles Collection counterparts. Meanwhile, an unused theme from the prototype has been repurposed for the New Blue Spheres mode. There’s also a new Super Sonic theme, which is, uh…interesting. Yeah, let’s call it that.

DLC & Digital Deluxe Edition

Beyond the standard $40 release, Sonic Origins features a digital deluxe version, two DLC packs at $4 a pop, and even a pre-order bonus. The concept was mocked, both for having DLC and a digital deluxe version for a classic compilation in the first place and because of SEGA’s poor attempt at explaining what came with which purchase. I’m going to break it down and explain, for those interested:
  • The Premium Fun Pack contains various additions, including harder missions, letterbox backgrounds, and various animations and camera controls for the Menu Islands.
  • The Classic Music Pack adds music from Sonic Spinball, Knuckles’ Chaotix, and Sonic 3D Blast to the museum’s music player.
  • The Digital Deluxe Edition contains all the features from the prior two packs except for the letterbox background.
  • Regardless of whether you got the Standard Edition or the Digital Deluxe Edition, pre-ordering the game (labeled as the “Start Dash Pack”) gets you 100 additional coins, unlocks the mirror mode from the start, and the letterbox background otherwise exclusive to the Premium Fun Pack.
At this point, however, you will want to hold off on purchasing any of the above DLC, because…

Sonic Origins Plus

One year to the day after the base release (and after many ratings board leaks), Sonic Origins is getting a much-needed upgrade. Sonic Origins Plus is an updated re-release that adds new content both to the existing games and to the collection as a whole:
  • Amy Rose is now a playable character in all four games with a brand new, hammer-swinging moveset.
  • Knuckles is now playable in Sonic CD, including some exclusive routes.
  • All 12 Sonic Game Gear games are available as bonus games!
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic Chaos
    • Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
    • Sonic Drift
    • Sonic Drift 2
    • Sonic Spinball
    • Tails Adventure
    • Sonic Labyrinth
    • Sonic Blast
    • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    • Tails' Skypatrol
Unlike with the main games, these are not recreated in a new engine, instead being standard emulated re-releases. No Master System versions, unfortunately.​
  • All of the content from the previous DLC (the Premium Fun Pack and the Classic Music Pack, and by proxy the content of Digital Deluxe Edition) are included.
So, how do you get your hands on Plus? If you haven’t purchased Sonic Origins before, you’re in luck: Sonic Origins Plus will be available for the same $39.99 price as the original release. You also have a choice between a digital release or an identically-priced physical release (which comes with a 20 page art book and a reversible Mega Drive/Genesis style cover). For those who already have the digital Sonic Origins release, you’ll have to purchase the Plus Expansion Pack at $9.99.

Trailers & Media

Sonic Origins Web Manual

MetaCritic: 78 (PS5 version) | 75 (Xbox Series) | 72 (Nintendo Switch)
OpenCritic: 77 | Strong

Last edited:
What a fantastic ST!

I played a little bit tonight after it unlocked, and it's really great to have all these games widescreen on my TV. Also mirror mode just feels wrong.

wait

what

THE GAME ACTUALLY IS OUT NOW

I thought it was coming out, like, later in the morning like Mania did!

so uh okay have fun in the thread everyone I gotta go play some Sonic, gotta go fast, whooooooo

The opening cutscene was so gorgeous on the OLED. Gosh, this is gonna be so great. I'm diving right into story mode.

Okay, y'all talking about how gorgeous it looks on the OLED screen are gonna make me double dip, lmao.
I wanted to have Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my Switch and here we are lol.

Also I'm going through the sound collection and most of the Knuckles Chaotix songs have the wrong title which is odd.

Thank you for all of the kind words on the ST!

Meanwhile on my end, I just finished Sonic 1 in Story Mode. I'm more familiar with this one than most due to the 2013 Android version, so this wasn't so bad outside of Marble Act 3 and Labyrinth Act 3. I've played the Special Stages so much that I actually enjoy them.

I'm not gonna play Sonic CD tonight, but I will watch those beautiful remastered opening cutscenes. In Story Mode, it goes right from the Amy-centric intro (it was cute seeing her do her Tarot reading) right into the original opening. Though in what's a strange decision, the music is set to US by default (at least in my US Switch copy) and not JP, and I love Sonic Boom as much as the next person, but it's kinda strange hearing cutscene music based on JP lead into the US OST, so if that bothers you, you may wanna go into Sonic CD and change the soundtrack option. This is also notable because, unlike the 2011 release, Sonic - You Can Do Anything and Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself have their lyrics and aren't just instrumentals!

Neat note about CD - while it uses the 2011 menus when you are in the options, the main menu itself has been redesigned to be closer to the original release. I assume Sonic 2 is like that as well, but I won't be opening it to check myself until after I play Story Mode.

Finished my Story Mode playthrough. There’s a few kinks I hope they manage to iron out via patches, but overall the remaster effort here is top notch.

Started working on Story mode before work today, got to Labyrinth Zone Act 3, got all the Chaos Emeralds by the end of Spring Yard Act 2. I really love Sonic 1, even though it's got all the hallmarks of "we're not entirely sure what a Sonic game is yet."

Absolutely adored Mania, but never got around to playing the original games. Will probably pick this up on sale down the line, looks like the best way to play these games.

Oh my God lol

He is really gonna try and walk this back, huh? Can't do that now - better hope this doesn't cause any legal trouble for Sega!
Legal trouble? With Naka? Surely not. 😏
I'm being snarky but seriously Naka suing Square for kicking him off Balan and saying they don't care about delivering quality products is incredibly based

Decided to try one of the missions on my break at work, easily got an S rank and popped three trophies lmao.

Great ST and name!

Personally would prefer not to see Michael Jackson associated with these games (or anything really), given all the accounts of abuse he most likely committed

They just called it "Hydrossity" on the official Sonic stream and I shall now descend into a fit of righteous anger

I played through the Sonic 1 missions, including the bonus hard ones from the DLC. They were mostly not all that challenging. A few neat ones, better to have than not, but nothing to write home about.

The hard missions DLC adds all of 12 missions to the game. Not...exactly worth it, I'd say.

I played through the Sonic 1 missions, including the bonus hard ones from the DLC. They were mostly not all that challenging. A few neat ones, better to have than not, but nothing to write home about.

The hard missions DLC adds all of 12 missions to the game. Not...exactly worth it, I'd say.
How much time do you think all the missions will take in total?

How much time do you think all the missions will take in total?
Probably not that long, I blasted through the S1 ones pretty quickly. It'll add a few hours to the play time to do all of them, but nothing dramatic. Maybe a couple of specifically challenging missions will push that to be longer.

Worth reading the full thread.

I understand and appreciate everything Stealth is saying, I get that rushing and integrating into the collection caused issues, and I understand that in the modern gaming industry post-launch fix patches are the norm. No biggie to me, I blame nobody.

But what he said about speaking up possibly hurting their relationship with Sega, to the point that Sega could decide to not let them fix the game, or create any future Sonic projects, that concerns me. I hope Sega does right by them.

Well, uh, while we're here, if you want to support Headcanon's work without a greedy corporation rushing the work out the door without much care for the final product, might I suggest the criminally overlooked horizontal scrolling shooter Pier Pressure? So overlooked that I completely missed out on it, anyway. It's only 5 bucks on Steam!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom