• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Official Tweet sonic mania has been decompiled, allowing for unofficial ports to pretty much anything.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

i'm genuinely shocked this happened, considering it was previously stated to be too complex to decompile.

Q: Will you do a decompilation for Sonic Mania?​

A: No. Sonic Mania is much bigger and requires that I'd decompile not only how the (far more complex) RSDKv5 works, but also all 600+ objects work.
but somehow it's miraculously been worked out.

currently the code only adds a native linux port to the table, but it shouldn't be long before you can play the game on any reasonably powerful device out there. possibly even including older consoles like the 3ds or the wii u.

n3DS would be fun given it got a(n unreleased) retroengine port.
Damn, the 3DS's 240p screen would be a perfect fit for this. Glad I kept my n3DS around.

I'd love to see new playable characters new levels. I know you can mod things like that, but it's easier if they just port it to a system I own as a "new game". I own Sonic Mania 3x already, but I would love to go back to some new content.

Putting aside ports, what does this mean for modding? I know Mania has a fairly extensive mod scene already, but does this expand the scope and ease of modding the game?

Putting aside ports, what does this mean for modding? I know Mania has a fairly extensive mod scene already, but does this expand the scope and ease of modding the game?

Yes, it will allow for expanded scope for modding.

Wonder if this might actually mean that a Saturn port is now on the cards?

Probably not, but it would be cool as hell to see it happen!

here's your vita port lads

FaTB-9nVUAA-sLB.jpg

#vitameanslife
(also android was apprentlly part of the inital branch, i just didn't notice it.)

Sega Saturn is where it belongs
eh, i think that might actually be too old to run it. even with the fact that it was designed with 2d games in mind.
i suspect dreamcast is as far back as you can go. taxman even suggested it was doable at one point.

Just tried the 3DS port. As expected, native 240p pixel art on a native 240p screen is glorious. Loading times are horrendous but not a dealbreaker considering the normal stages run perfectly.

I wish I had a CRT to really make use of that Wii port.

i'm genuinely shocked this happened, considering it was previously stated to be too complex to decompile.

but somehow it's miraculously been worked out.

currently the code only adds a native linux port to the table, but it shouldn't be long before you can play the game on any reasonably powerful device out there. possibly even including older consoles like the 3ds or the wii u.

I am hoping it allows for some good mods

Back
Top Bottom