• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you post the wrong link? The link posted has nothing to do with Nintendo or the switch version and is just fan discussion
I sorta assumed the insinuation was that what the reddit user was asking (why the marketing has been so guarded and sparse and weird) could be answered by Nintendo having dibs on a lot of that info for a Direct. It's already been said that the action stages are embargoed until the 29th, which coincides(ish) with the Direct date.

I sorta assumed the insinuation was that what the reddit user was asking (why the marketing has been so guarded and sparse and weird) could be answered by Nintendo having dibs on a lot of that info for a Direct. It's already been said that the action stages are embargoed until the 29th, which coincides(ish) with the Direct date.
Ah yeah so basically what we’ve assumed since that other thread (now merged) was made

Last edited:
60 people on a game on this scope is far, far too low.. Breath of the Wild had like... 300+ people working on it (lots of Nintendo studios assisting)

They probably spent 2 years, scrapping concepts and making the level design and assets, like BOTW lol. I saw a leak that said full production entered development in January 2020.

Check this out:

Yeah 60 people on a game aiming to do stuff like this is insane. Sonic Team should have been given more resources if they were aiming to make a game like this.
I don't think is an "Sony expensive tier game" as people think it is. Its not 100 million dollars. No JPN game really is. I also think its Sonic Team for gameplay and combat + PSO2 for world design.

Yeah 60 people on a game aiming to do stuff like this is insane. Sonic Team should have been given more resources if they were aiming to make a game like this.
I always wonder if all of the bad 3d sonic games have to do with teams being too small, or if sonic team has been getting smaller because of their bad games

This game looks really good tho. We should have faith. We will hear more news soon.

I always wonder if all of the bad 3d sonic games have to do with teams being too small, or if sonic team has been getting smaller because of their bad games
Sonic Adventure 2 had like 1/3 of the team that made Adventure 1. Now I'm in the camp that thinks Adventure 2 is great and it's my favorite 3D Sonic, but ST having staffing issues in the 3D era is pretty well known. Heroes infamously had only 2 people working on level design, and 1 got ill half way through development.

They probably spent 2 years, scrapping concepts and making the level design and assets, like BOTW lol. I saw a leak that said full production entered development in January 2020.

Check this out:
Better 2 years burned on the game as part of the process than just on the engine like Forces!

Wow 60 seems small, but I'm sure there are plenty of support studios in the loop for world design and such. Plus, this is is Sonic taking a risk and a step, if it pays off maybe the team will grow!

Sonic Adventure 2 had like 1/3 of the team that made Adventure 1. Now I'm in the camp that thinks Adventure 2 is great and it's my favorite 3D Sonic, but ST having staffing issues in the 3D era is pretty well known. Heroes infamously had only 2 people working on level design, and 1 got ill half way through development.
Yeah they've been dealing with lots of turnover so I can see why'd they might be understaffed. I know one of their cutscene artists for Colors/Generations/Unleashed is the scenario writer and cutscene lead for Xenoblade now lol.

I do think the one more thing may be the hardware, after BOTW 2 is shown, like the Sony presentations. And Sonic Frontiers will be shown.

I think a good way to port this to the switch might be to change the art style a bit for the switch version, not sure how much work that would be, but if the realistic look proves to be too taxing, make it look more cartoony, but preserve the same game. So grass and fields are flat but very pretty to look at, like immortal fenyx rising. I dont know anything about game dev, so im not sure how realistic that is. In my head i was thinking of the ghost busters game, where the ps360 versions looked “realistic” and the wii port used a really pleasing animated art style that worked better with the systems limitations, but they were essentially the same game

I think a good way to port this to the switch might be to change the art style a bit for the switch version, not sure how much work that would be, but if the realistic look proves to be too taxing, make it look more cartoony, but preserve the same game. So grass and fields are flat but very pretty to look at, like immortal fenyx rising. I dont know anything about game dev, so im not sure how realistic that is. In my head i was thinking of the ghost busters game, where the ps360 versions looked “realistic” and the wii port used a really pleasing animated art style that worked better with the systems limitations, but they were essentially the same game
Funny enough that would rectify a lot of folks complaints with the game haha

Yeah I’m definitely worried for that version since PSO2 got a cloud version on switch. Maybe not being multiplayer and seemingly not having too many mobs in the world will help. Im sure they’ve restrained the game design a bit with the switch version in mind

You all are overthinking the Switch version way too hard; --It will be the exact same game (which, mind you, I don't think it looks visually stunning nor too taxing to the hardware; Xenoblade 3 blows it out of the water with similar and much more appealing landscapes), probably with the framerate cut in half and maybe smaller draw distance;

The fact the Switch launched with a massive Open World game as its killer app, and after so many others popping up (old and new), should be less of a concern for Frontiers;

Hey, if it runs like poop, it's all SEGA's fault.

Funny enough that would rectify a lot of folks complaints with the game haha

Yeah I’m definitely worried for that version since PSO2 got a cloud version on switch. Maybe not being multiplayer and seemingly not having too many mobs in the world will help. Im sure they’ve restrained the game design a bit with the switch version in mind
PSO2 cloud version is because file size, on Steam is over 100gb (Im usually a hater of ‘file size’ as excuse for Switch but in this case it makes a lot of sense)

60 people working on this game is like the 40 employees only in XC2 case, most Stuff is getting outsourced

Someone on this post said that something on Frontiers is coming from someone that is not IGN tomorrow. He can't say who it is.

20-30 to beat 40-60 to complete, does this make frontiers the longest platformer ever? Took me like 20 hours to beat Mario Odyssey and 40 to complete and thought that was the longest at the time lol.

20-30 to beat 40-60 to complete, does this make frontiers the longest platformer ever? Took me like 20 hours to beat Mario Odyssey and 40 to complete and thought that was the longest at the time lol.
If we count if as a platformer it probably would be it Yep

Seems like every other corner of the internet is obsessed with making juvenile jokes about the game, so I just wanted to say I appreciate y'all for not having this thread devolving into that.

Seems like every other corner of the internet is obsessed with making juvenile jokes about the game, so I just wanted to say I appreciate y'all for not having this thread devolving into that.
Well we did have a thread try to start that up but it got pruned pretty quickly. 😅

One thing I have learned over the last year on my time on the internet, is that people are becoming more and more depraved and it represents itself in art and jokes. Its actually really sad.

You all are overthinking the Switch version way too hard; --It will be the exact same game (which, mind you, I don't think it looks visually stunning nor too taxing to the hardware; Xenoblade 3 blows it out of the water with similar and much more appealing landscapes), probably with the framerate cut in half and maybe smaller draw distance;

The fact the Switch launched with a massive Open World game as its killer app, and after so many others popping up (old and new), should be less of a concern for Frontiers;

Hey, if it runs like poop, it's all SEGA's fault.
On the one hand I do agree with you that this doesn't look like anything the Switch cannot handle, especially seeing as it already runs demanding open world games like Witcher 3 and Dying Light.

On the other, third parties have managed to screw up perfectly achievable Switch ports before, so I do understand people's concerns.

The hardware is definitely capable and Frontiers is no technical marvel. It all comes down to whether Sega will invest the necessary effort to pull it off.

On the one hand I do agree with you that this doesn't look like anything the Switch cannot handle, especially seeing as it already runs demanding open world games like Witcher 3 and Dying Light.

On the other, third parties have managed to screw up perfectly achievable Switch ports before, so I do understand people's concerns.

The hardware is definitely capable and Frontiers is no technical marvel. It all comes down to whether Sega will invest the necessary effort to pull it off.
Yeah, as I said, it's on SEGA; If they were smart, they'd aim to the lowest common denominator, and coincidentally where the game will sell the most anyway (even if ends being a butchered port).. and then up-port to the other platforms with enhanced visuals or something minor.

But after much smaller projects like Colors Ultimate and Team Sonic Racing, I know it's not always simple with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom