• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm frustrated because after a year delay, all we've managed to do is avoid another Forces/06/Boom level disaster.
But hey, it's a start.

Forces/06/Boom was always gonna be a tough hole to crawl out of. Sonic Team just went out of their comfort zone and did a big, messy thing to try and get out of it, and by the looks of it they succeeded.

This is not meant to be argumentative, it's meant to be optimistic and encouraging 😅

the actual text of most reviews seems to recommend playing the game, which is far more important than the arbitrary number at the end

this was never going to be the game that completely repainted the franchise's perception but also like, generations is legitimately good and it also scored in the mid 70s back in the day so who cares

My favorite 3D Sonic game sits at a 48 on Metacritic, in case anyone wonders what I think about a 70ish

A copy of Frontiers for Xbox has already popped up on eBay for $40 😅

I'm tempted but I wanna see if it'll go even lower 👀

I love that the IGN review mentioned the PS5 fast load being unable to handle the game with pop-in yet it runs on Switch fine with similar pop-in lol, obv an engine issue rather than hardware.

blue boy review blue blur

edit: :( did not like
edit 2: then did like!! :) really like!

Last edited:
goddamn

XdLVLWq.png
Who tf is DigitalTrends?! lol

Really disappointed with the mc/oc score. Like it looks like its not bad, but for a series that used to rival mario I feel like sonic deserves to be so much more than what it is.

pop-in seems so wildly inconsistent, it's barely visible in some reviews and everywhere in others. I wonder if performance vs quality mode impacts it?

They said they were aiming for higher scores; and this is the first 60 dollar game in the series since Unleashed .. even though it really shouldn't... Avoiding mentioning spoilers, but this game feels it was just as in the lower budget side as previous entries; maybe just not as low as Forces, of course

They just thought they could get away with that price due of the amount of playtime
At least it's $60 on next gen and not the new standard $70, not that that matters for Switch

Looks like only PS5 review codes were given out early enough for the deadline? Sucks a bit, SEGA. You shouldn't hide other platforms reviews like that even if you might not like what they write.
Xbox codes were also given out, Arlo has it

and then the Switch version leaked haha, so there's the full picture (they should have given Switch codes tho)

the same outlet who wrote a glowing preview lol
I asked a similar question on era about the inverse (poor preview glowing review), is it actually the same person who did the preview vs did the review?

It's also not unreasonable for someone to not get a game during an hour preview but then have it click over a 30 hour game. The inverse is also true, where a game was really fun in an hour preview highlighting the best parts, but the 30 hour experience is a repetitive slog.

I love that the IGN review mentioned the PS5 fast load being unable to handle the game with pop-in yet it runs on Switch fine with similar pop-in lol, obv an engine issue rather than hardware.
*climbs the nearest mountain*
*stands upon the peak*
*takes a deep breath*
optimizationnnnnnnnnnnnnn

the actual text of most reviews seems to recommend playing the game, which is far more important than the arbitrary number at the end

this was never going to be the game that completely repainted the franchise's perception but also like, generations is legitimately good and it also scored in the mid 70s back in the day so who cares
Yeah if this as enjoyable as Generations I'll call that a big win. I haven't bought a game day 1 since Kirby so I think I'll pick this up if not day 1 later this week.

Based on what I've heard of the story, I'll enjoy that too.

GameStop ship a pre order on time challenge (impossible)

Steelbook better be worth the wait

For those asking about when it will unlock digitally:

and also she is saying this is what she sees for the Steam release...fingers crossed cause I would love to jump into it at midnight tonight.

Arlo's review sounds like this will be a pretty good time. I had enough faith to pre-order digitally so looking forward to it this evening or tomorrow.

This game definitely has the right idea in what I've envisioned for years now. Well somewhat. Big open spaces but from what I can see there is a lack of "Sonicy" terrain that I was hoping for. More elevation with ramps and hills and such. More like what is seen in Project Hero or Sonic Utopia. Whatever the case I'm looking forward to this and hope we get some Tails and Knuckles DLC.

I don’t think anyone has claimed it. I would have if i knew! Can’t now though.
I can’t make it all pretty and fancy tonight, but I can put up a basic ST tonight and actually write the OP tomorrow. If no one else wants to, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom