• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to tell, but looks great!

Biggest take away is... that my OLED is the best damn purchase I've ever made. shudders

Frontiers has the margin of being as good it can be. That's how it works.

but in all seriousness though.. I can't expect to Sonic Team to nail an Open World game on their first try, especially when all they had done in the past decade was very small in scope, and still, they stumbled on basics.

Sorry for the double post, but we've got a new episode of Tailstube (& Knuckles)! It turns out this YouTube series is CANON Canon, because it actually leads into Frontiers!

...Huh. I just realized, the last time the Master Emerald was actually in a Sonic game was in 2008, in Sonic Chronicles, and that game isn't even canon anymore! I look forward to hopefully seeing it in Frontiers!

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but we've got a new episode of Tailstube (& Knuckles)! It turns out this YouTube series is CANON Canon, because it actually leads into Frontiers!

...Huh. I just realized, the last time the Master Emerald was actually in a Sonic game was in 2008, in Sonic Chronicles, and that game isn't even canon anymore! I look forward to hopefully seeing it in Frontiers!

What have they done to Knuckles’ voice?! I hope this isn’t how he sounds in Frontiers… I wish he would stop getting all these major VA changes. =/ It’d be one thing if they at least sounded similar, but his movie voice was already so drastically different from his game voice, and now this voice also sounds way different from how he typically sounds in the games. If it is the same VA from Team Sonic Racing, the direction sounds entirely different…

one thing I have to complain about with the level design is the lack of evolution since Sonic Adventure. or rather the slow pace of it. since SA1, a lot of the 3D levels kinda play the same, with the biggest change coming in with Colors.

I would like for the levels to be "wider" with some more explore-y bits. the speed running style track can stay, but widen the world to allow for more platforming. hell, we're seeing that in the open world parts of Frontiers. they just need to find a way to fuse the two or offer variety.

Very glowing preview.

Sounds like the moment-to-moment gameplay is great but I honestly still wonder about the overall grandeur of it. Like are we going to have big SA/SA2 moments?

Feels like I'm looking for things to doubt but I'm just too curious about this.

Can't watch the video right now, did they play the Switch version? What did they say?
He played the PC version. Framerate is rock solid. There's a few visual issues like wonky LOD loading or whatever, that he expects to be patched for the launch.

I think I've mentioned in this thread that I'm not really a Sonic fan and haven't had any prior interest in these games, but Frontiers looks legitimately really fun. And the previews I've seen have all been practically glowing

Probably not going to get it day 1 what with everything else releasing around that time, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this

So I talked to a friend on the Sonic Frontiers discord server to mangaed to talk to a playtester who playtested the game last year and they had some story and gameplay elements to talk about.
"Starfall heavily presented as an illusion
Sage is working to get eggman out dialogue about calculations
Sage IS some sort of eggman entity
Tails does mention the events of Sonic Forces he appears to lament himself not being strong enough. Grain of salt infinite was mentioned by tails forces is canon
Super sonic controls similar to 06, less scripted more movement control, dedicated animation for losing super form.
Combat appears to be very free judging by impressions no scripted button mashing thats only after a certain part even the super sonic boost into the titan is controlled by the player. Whale on the titans head *infintes theme was placeholder however judging by the events its implied he is in at least.
phantom ruby appears to be sentient it seems like thats who Infinite was talking to NOT eggman
all * are speculation based on sources interaction with the game.
Super sonic theme goes hard each titan has a dedicated theme from what I know the first titans theme is lyrical I dont know the lyrics (didnt ask about the others)

Sega PR head said that there are plans to market music and he don't know dates because of all the projects in place and its a lot to remember he just knows that there are plans he later backtracked and went into PR mode"

I really would like the Sonic YouTube to upload the Green Hill Zone music please. Love the direction they're going for it.

Alex from Nintendolife gave us lovely people his opinion after playing Frontiers, and it sounds actually pretty decent!!

I especially like how it sounds to be more about control instead of just brute force speed. The number of times he said it reminds him more of the feeling of Adventure makes me really happy.

Heads up, someone modified code in the EGX demo for Sonic Frontiers and they were able to play the entirety of Kronos Island and see the Intro Cutscene, and fight the Titan as Super Sonic. Footage was taken down, but re-uploads will happen. So I would mute Sonic Frontiers on Twitter at this point.

Dont want to watch the vid, but anyone know how many cyberspace levels are in?
If you've been following the impressions from various demos over the past few months it's the same 5-6 levels, but played more competently.

That's not the spoiler stuff though, what comes before and after are.

Having watched it, it looks prettty neat. That Super Sonic Fight is cool. Very cool that we don't have to wait until the very end of the game for it.
Makes me wonder what the big endgame blowout will be, if we get friggin Super Sonic for regular bosses.

If you've been following the impressions from various demos over the past few months it's the same 5-6 levels, but played more competently.

That's not the spoiler stuff though, what comes before and after are.

Alright thanks for the info, I was hoping new levels would be shown but maybe they are still in and just not seen yet

That's wild, wtf

Everyone that was hoping for a demo to pop up on the eshop or PSN or Xbox store can kiss those expectations goodbye lol.

Wh-why not?
Why haven't I played Mania, or why did the Wiki not mention the m.e. in Mania? I don't know about the wiki (it was the Sonic News Network), but as for why I haven't played Mania yet, I'm wasn't great at classic Sonic games. It wasn't until I played through he Origins collection like a month ago that I felt like I really had a handle on the classic games at all. But I feel like I get the gameplay flow now, so Mania is absolutely on my to-do list.

Why haven't I played Mania, or why did the Wiki not mention the m.e. in Mania? I don't know about the wiki (it was the Sonic News Network), but as for why I haven't played Mania yet, I'm wasn't great at classic Sonic games. It wasn't until I played through he Origins collection like a month ago that I felt like I really had a handle on the classic games at all. But I feel like I get the gameplay flow now, so Mania is absolutely on my to-do list.
That's so weird to hear from a guy with a DKC avatar - those games were much harder than classic Sonics, and were definitely influenced by them. Not calling you out, just confused I guess. Once again I am reminded that people are different and experience things differently.

That's so weird to hear from a guy with a DKC avatar - those games were much harder than classic Sonics, and were definitely influenced by them. Not calling you out, just confused I guess. Once again I am reminded that people are different and experience things differently.
I didn't actually notice the similarities between the DKC games and classic Sonic until a few years ago, when I was watching the Geek Critique episode on DKC 1 and he mentioned the same thing! It really is a good halfway point between the style of a Mario game and Sonic game. Shame it took me so long to see that.

...also didn't originally get into classic Sonic because 1 and 2 didn't have save files. Until Origins came out, Sonic 3 was the only classic Sonic game I'd ever beaten just because it DID have save files.

I do not think the DKC games were "much harder" than classic Sonics.

I do not think the DKC games were "much harder" than classic Sonics.
DKC2 at least is definitely harder than S2 and S3&K. The mechanics are just generally a lot more forgiving in Sonic. Difficulty in games always comes down to personal experience and disposition so it's not really worth scrapping over, but the general perception of the Genesis Sonics is that they were among the easier platformers of that era and the DKC games were a bit more challenging. They handed out lives like candy because casual players use them a lot. I'm just going by general reputation here - I don't think this is a controversial view.

subscribe to the newsletter here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom