• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, so I just found out I’ll be on a work retreat a week starting from the day this comes out

meaning, I’ll only have my Switch.

Looks like I’l be buying this on there to play handheld, and then if when I love it I’ll probably grab it on Xbox down the line too

Omg this is where that shot of Sonic’s eyes is from? That’s some Yakuza-level goofiness. Turns out this game does have a personality.
This Game really is a dream come true from everything we have seen

Really weird they're showing Super Sonic that early... I thought the whole point of the game was gathering the emeralds to fight the big titan Sonic can't beat on his own?

given how often the trope of using Super Sonic to beat the final boss occurs, showing it isn't all that weird. if anything it just shows that Sonic will need more than super sonic to win
Last time Super Sonic was a Final Boss only thing was in Unleashed though...

Sonic 4, Colors, Generations, Lost World, Mania and Forces all had Super playable on normal levels. If anything, a Super Sonic final boss is a thing they don't do for a long time...

Some comparison screencaps (by @MoonSarito on Twitter) from the Japanese Direct vs. the recent TGS trailer (supposedly the PS4 version, at very least)

FcoXMikWYAI8uLD

FcoXSZRXEAE9Pk3

FcoXU_TWQAUu9kX

Switch obviously look a little bit "raw", but it's surprisingly faithful, with most of the basic elements kept, just lower detail. Still... wish this game had a more vibrant and striking artstyle to hide imperfections all around in all versions (I don't think it's a particularly pretty game anywhere)

Really weird they're showing Super Sonic that early... I thought the whole point of the game was gathering the emeralds to fight the big titan Sonic can't beat on his own?
I think there's one big Titan Sonic can't beat on his own per island. The Big boy in the TGS trailer with way too many teeth is, I believe, only the first major boss.

Speaking of the Titans, I saw the titan in the TGS and immediately thought: Neon Sega Genesis Evangelion.

Time of day is different between the two trailers
Good catch, I didn't noticed! I guess they did show different climate and time of day in some footage, right? I remember a raining scene before..

I think there's one big Titan Sonic can't beat on his own per island. The Big boy in the TGS trailer with way too many teeth is, I believe, only the first major boss.
So you get all 7 emeralds in one island, fight the boss, and then.. you get to collect them all again in the next island? That doesn't seem right...

So you get all 7 emeralds in one island, fight the boss, and then.. you get to collect them all again in the next island? That doesn't seem right...
There have been hints dropped that the Emeralds are on the Starfall Islands for a reason, and that the Islands themselves have some direct connection to the Chaos Emeralds-Maybe something to do with their origins? So I think what'll happen is that once Super Sonic beats a Titan and releases his super transformation, whatever force is connecting the Emeralds to the Islands (maybe Sage, maybe something else) will yank the Emeralds away, forcing Sonic to chase them to the next Island.

There have been hints dropped that the Emeralds are on the Starfall Islands for a reason, and that the Islands themselves have some direct connection to the Chaos Emeralds-Maybe something to do with their origins? So I think what'll happen is that once Super Sonic beats a Titan and releases his super transformation, whatever force is connecting the Emeralds to the Islands (maybe Sage, maybe something else) will yank the Emeralds away, forcing Sonic to chase them to the next Island.
I thought that once you had the emeralds, you had them for good and you could, say, use Super Sonic's ability to finish up the 100% run quicker. They'd slowly give to you by game/story progression, then by the final boss you have the ability to go Super and then be able to beat it.

But when I saw the TGS trailer with Super with no cerimony, I imagined they'd pull a Symphony of the Night maybe? Like, you get to be Super Sonic really early in the game for the first comfront against the titan, but the emeralds are stripped off you, so you have personal motivation as a player to get them back and be powerful once again...

thinking about it, it wasn't much different of how Sonic 3 or Unleashed did it, just through cutscenes..

I thought that once you had the emeralds, you had them for good and you could, say, use Super Sonic's ability to finish up the 100% run quicker. They'd slowly give to you by game/story progression, then by the final boss you have the ability to go Super and then be able to beat it.

But when I saw the TGS trailer with Super with no cerimony, I imagined they'd pull a Symphony of the Night maybe? Like, you get to be Super Sonic really early in the game for the first comfront against the titan, but the emeralds are stripped off you, so you have personal motivation as a player to get them back and be powerful once again...

thinking about it, it wasn't much different of how Sonic 3 or Unleashed did it, just through cutscenes..
Looking into it a bit more, the main gameplay has been confirmed to go like this: Fight minibosses in the overworld to win portal gears, use portal gears to unlock linear cyberspace levels that you can play to win vault keys, collect enough vault keys to open a vault and collect a Chaos Emerald, collect all the Chaos Emeralds to take on the Island's Titan boss and unlock the next Island. So It's looking like Super Sonic is a power you have to reunlock on each new Island.

Partial performance revealed

If I understand it right;...

• Switch (Docked): 720p/30fps
  • PS4: 1080p/30fps
  • PS5: 1080p/60fps (performance mode) and 4K/30fps (fidelity mode)

No mention about Switch on handheld, PS4 Pro, Xbox Series (I assume it wouldn't be different of PS5) or PC (my guess is just flexible enough to be whatever you feel like)

On my end, I don't mind 30fps. Few modern Sonic games managed to do that (Lost World on Wii U did it, and I suppose Forces on PS4 and Xbox); otherwise, it's usual stuff for me.

Only 1080p for 60fps on current gen? What the hell? Unless they're using ray tracing or some shit, that's disappointing
Yeah that’s mind-blowing. Thank goodness I only have a 1080p TV so I won’t really lose anything by going with performance mode.

We had gotten snippets of the handheld mode in cutscenes but I believe this is the first look at proper gameplay. Obviously it's hard to tell exactly from off-screen footage, but on the parts where the camera gets close to the screen it looks really impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom