• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to be a special kind of ugly to not hold up in hand-picked screenshots. lets wait to see it in motion first (that's not a couple of seconds long)

For the record, I’m definitely getting Frontiers on PS5. The loading times alone will make the next-gen version worth it.

How has the Steam Deck fared with DRM games?
I haven't fully tested it out across a wide range, but Valve rolled out an update a week or so ago to make Offline mode more ideal for getting around Steamworks' own DRM. Which, y'know, is kinda big deal for a portable device, so I appreciate it while I'm getting ready for my vacation soon!

So, ideally, they'll keep getting better at it.

So this pretty much guarantees I'll be switching over to Japanese voices for the whole game:

Hayashibara has given me so much ❤️

Judging by this, I think this was more the case of some clever editing.

oh thanks, boo to that person

Whew that level is extremely short though. Praying that the Switch version load times back to the open world aren't brutal.

So it seems that every single cyberspace stage shown so far actually has been hacked together entirely from the level design of prior 3D boost games. Sonic Team are the comedy kings of game dev lol

I think I'd be a lot more interested in this game if it was just a level select and no open world part.

It's interesting to see they apparently pulled level design from previous sonic games though, not sure how to feel about that but since I've only really played Generations I suppose it doesn't bother me much.

I haven't fully tested it out across a wide range, but Valve rolled out an update a week or so ago to make Offline mode more ideal for getting around Steamworks' own DRM. Which, y'know, is kinda big deal for a portable device, so I appreciate it while I'm getting ready for my vacation soon!

So, ideally, they'll keep getting better at it.
Sorry for the late reply, I was just curious since Frontiers will undoubtedly have that DRM nonsense attached to the PC version and wasn't sure how the Steam Deck was handling that. Hope it runs well at 60fps by November!

So it seems that every single cyberspace stage shown so far actually has been hacked together entirely from the level design of prior 3D boost games. Sonic Team are the comedy kings of game dev lol

This just feels like the 'Elden Ring reuses assets' squawking to me. No way to tell until I play the game, obviously, but the only thing that bothers me about reusing assets is that they're reusing assets from games that aren't good and pretty much played themselves.

So there's the "the video is cut together to look the same" twitter post and the "multiple levels are actually the same" twitter post

🐰🦆🐰🦆🐰🦆

This just feels like the 'Elden Ring reuses assets' squawking to me. No way to tell until I play the game, obviously, but the only thing that bothers me about reusing assets is that they're reusing assets from games that aren't good and pretty much played themselves.
This is not the same thing at all. If let's say New Super Mario Bros U came out, and then someone went "hey wait a minute, every single stage in World 2 of this game is just a stage from New Super Mario Bros Wii's World 6 in with a different background theme" people would rightfully say "what the hell they are literally reskinning the exact same content and selling it back to us as if it's a new thing." Reuse of assets isn't a problem (though there is plenty of that too) but in a platformer, level design is kind of your whole thing. I find a lot of the handwaving around this to be surprising honestly. It's not like they're being upfront here saying "hey do the open world stuff and you can unlock some levels we ported over from prior games" they're just hacking away chunks of old levels, splitting them up to be even more piecemeal, and then reskinning them so that people hopefully won't notice (too late). It shows a lack of ability/time/interest on the part of the team to actually create new levels in the boost formula especially considering their last effort on that front in Forces had notoriously awful level design.

in a platformer, level design is kind of your whole thing.
That's specifically why I mentioned Elden Ring. The reused assets there are attack animations and monsters - that's the bread and butter of the Souls series. The levels look pretty different even if there is clear re-use of chunks.

Ok....so while I hate Lost World based on the ice levels onwards, hearing how they describe controls as similar to that makes me happy cause I always felt the control scheme in that game had some serious potential if tweaked right.

Add to that the customization already in place for faster acceleration as well and I'm greatly looking forward to the open zones areas.

The reused level themes and level designs, paired with the Forces-like music is very alarming I gotta say. Forces had the absolute worst Sonic soundtrack. Can't even depend on Sonic having good music anymore.
?????

Forces had amazing music. First Sonic game to somewhat scratch the itch of the Adventure-era music in a long time, too. But opinions and all, I guess.

?????

Forces had amazing music. First Sonic game to somewhat scratch the itch of the Adventure-era music in a long time, too. But opinions and all, I guess.
Infinite's theme is the best worst worst best song in Sonic history.

?????

It couldn't be further away from the Adventure style music.

Team Sonic Racing is the one that sounded Adventure-esque.

It couldn't be further away from the Adventure style music.

Team Sonic Racing is the one that sounded Adventure-esque.
I meant in terms of it being a return to having a variety of music styles for different characters plus more vocal songs in the soundtrack, something that kind of hadn’t really been a thing with main series Sonic games for quite some time prior to Forces. Like, you’ve got modern Sonic’s music, classic Sonic’s music, and the Avatar’s music, all with their own style, and the Avatar’s stage music is all vocal themes; I love it!

I've been watching a lot of Sonic Frontiers videos on Youtube a lot these past few months not because I'm particularly interested in the game itself, but because I find the drama in the Sega community crazy and interesting lol

I’m much more interested in the traditional 3D Sonic levels. I’m anticipating that the open world stuff is just something to get through before you’re allowed to play a regular Sonic game again.

I’m much more interested in the traditional 3D Sonic levels. I’m anticipating that the open world stuff is just something to get through before you’re allowed to play a regular Sonic game again.
Interestingly I think I saw at least one positive impression out of Gamescom where the player had strongly preferred the open zone to the regular levels. Maybe it depends on whether the player prefers open worlds to linear levels. In most games I am in the latter group.

I feel like we are finally getting the game i thought sonic 06 would be when i first saw it via G4’s tgs 2005 coverage

cc07ae5a772ba53dd2f7b3390f91471c.jpg

This screen shot is from those concept vids being shown. They showed sonic blasting through open environments. The final game wasn’t really much like that at all.

Last edited:
While an extremely valid perspective / interest to take in the game, design-wise it's quite the opposite. Much more development interest and effort is clearly going into the open world, whereas what we've seen of the cyberspace levels is throwback content from prior games.

Think Shrines vs Open World in Botw. The cyberspace levels are small bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom