• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro SMB1 vs Sonic 1 vs DKC1 vs Crash 1 vs Spyro 1, which debut game has aged the best?

Which game has held up the best ?

• Super Mario Bros. (1985)

• Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

• Donkey Kong Country (1994)

• Crash Bandicoot (1996)

• Spyro the Dragon (1998)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yzz

Like Like
Pronouns
She/Her
In a decade where most successful video games were one hit wonders, Super Mario Bros. 3, along other NES classics like Dragon Quest 3, showcased the artistic and financial potential of video game sequels. The Super Mario franchise sold a lot of NES units and it was certain that Nintendo was going to use its mascot to promote its next hardware, so it was only natural that other companies in the hardware market, such as Hudson and Sega, wanted to have their own Mario. Unfortunately for Nintendo's competitors they stumbled into a pretty big problem: making a video game franchise from scratch has its growing pains, especially when you want to compete against elaborate sequels like SMB3 or SMW.

Many of these "Mario killers", like Alex Kidd, didn't pose a threat to Nintendo's mascot, but everything changed when Sonic hit the scene in 1991. Unlike Hudson, Sega wanted to challenge Mario face-to-face by making an ambitious platformer with the best graphics available, and the result was... well, let's say that Sonic 1 is more comparable in quality to the first SMB rather than its contemporaries, SMB3 and World. It's no secret that the first Sonic game, at least the one on the Mega Drive / Genesis, has a bit of an identity crisis mainly because the developers didn't know how to design levels that made correct use of Sonic's abilities. Despite the shortcomings of his first game, Sonic managed to find a big audience which prompted Sega to release a sequel ASAP. Sonic 2 fixed a lot of the problems of the first game and made the franchise a worthy rival for Mario, however future platforming franchises had to pass through the same rituals as Sonic.

While it's true that some platforming franchises like Banjo-Kazooie started with a bang, many of these had humble debuts which are overshadowed by the quality of its successors. This thread will be about five of these cases: Sonic 1, the first Donkey Kong Country, the original Crash Bandicoot as well as the original Spyro the Dragon, and last but not least 1985's Super Mario Bros:

Super Mario Bros. (1985):
The first SMB game has a very solid level design that has aged gracefully, but despite this achievement the 1985 game usually ranks low within the Mario fanbase. SMB1 was probably phenomenal back in the day, but a lot of stuff, like the physics, haven't stood very well the test of time. The game has 32 levels, which is not necessarily a bad thing except when you realize that you cannot remember more than two of those; the levels and worlds are just pretty unremarkable, specially compared to 3.

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991):
Unless you are a huge Sonic fan or a game historian, the 16-bit version of Sonic 1 is really not worth playing after Green Hill Zone. There is some salvageable stuff post-GHZ like the music in Starlight Zone, but the level design just feels very amateurish compared to the sequels.

Donkey Kong Country (1994):
The original DKC launched in the same year as Sonic 3 & Knuckles and it managed to eclipse such classic in great part to its graphics. It's disingenuous to say that people only liked DKC for its graphics, yet the game still is pretty barebones in many aspects, most notably the boss battles. The title character sucks compared to Diddy, and while this is not a big deal in most games, DKC punishes you in ridiculous ways for using the best character. Like many games with pre-rendered sprites, DKC has plenty of weird collisions which is a pretty big problem in a platformer. The camera can also be pretty bad in some parts, like in that green water level at the end of the game.

Crash Bandicoot (1996):
If 2D platformers were amphibians and your average 3D platformer was a modern mammal, Crash Bandicoot would be like a marsupial: a weird creature that portrays a future that never was. Whereas the vast majority of 3D platformers took inspiration from Super Mario 64's revolutionary camera, Crash Bandicoot took a very different approach and it's this very approach why the series has plenty of critics, with some arguing that Naughty Dog's "Ass Sonic" formula is fundamentally bad. I personally believe there is a place for Crash-inspired platformers in the current day, but I understand why some people don't want to touch these games, because oh boy the first Crash Bandicoot game really leaves a bad impression.
Unlike Sonic 1 which is a relatively easy game, Crash 1 can be pretty brutal at times because of its depth perception issues. Even the remake couldn't fix all of this because that level design is just not compatible with 2D displays.

Spyro the Dragon (1998):
3D gaming wasn't in its infancy when Spyro made its debut, and although the first game is pretty strong in areas like graphics and game-feel, Spyro 1 feels like an early PSX title in many ways.
There is something liminal about the original Spyro the Dragon, perhaps it's the vast emptiness, or the fact that there is only one female character in its somewhat populated world, or maybe its pointless and weird design choices; the game feels like it lacks something very important. It's true that Spyro 1 contains some neat puzzles and challenges, like the turbo-charge treetop level, however around 80% of the game borders on walking simulator territory. The bosses in the game are perhaps even more meh than the ones in DKC1. The music is mostly unmemorable and doesn't have the punch of Spyro 2 and 3. That being said, I'll have to praise the voice acting and script for effectively reaching so bad it's good levels.

Which of these five games do you think is still worth playing today, if any? Which one is your favorite?

Last edited:
Def going with Crash 1. I love the jungle/island vibes, and the obstacle course platforming style. I'd even say it has the most of that obstacle course platforming stuff of any 3D platformer. I think Crash 2's slightly better as the best game in the series, but Crash 1 comes really close. Some of those first half jungle levels and levels like Native Fortress/Sunset Vista are some of my favorites in all of video games.

DKC1 comes close for me, but I think overall I like the environments better in Crash 1. DKC1's jungle levels are amazing, but there actually aren't a lot of them, most of the game is cave levels which I don't really like at all. I'm not a fan of the castle/lab levels in Crash 1's second half either, but there are so many great first half levels, that I think overall Crash 1 has the better environments for me. I will admit DKC1 has a lot better music, the gameplay's great in DKC1 too, but as a whole game I think Crash 1 still wins.

I like Spyro a lot art style wise, but collectathon platforming just isn’t really my thing. I forget if I’ve played Sonic 1 but I’ve at least played others in that style, like Sonic 2/3 (one of them, or maybe both I forget) and Sonic Mania, and I just can’t really get into them. I feel like I’m supposed to go fast through the levels but also slow down to explore everything, it’s confusing to me. SMB1 is probably in last place of these for me, I think the movement is really stiff/overly slippery, and the world doesn’t immerse me at all.

Ranking for me would be Crash 1>DKC1>>Spyro 1>2D Sonic games>SMB1

Out of the three I've played (SMB1, Sonic 1 and DKC1). I'd say... Sonic 1. IDK, it says something about that one if I enjoy it enough I've beaten it like at least 8 times last year lol

It's a much more approachable game to me than DKC1. While SMB1 doesn't control anywhere as well.

Never played Crash nor Spyro though, but I'd imagine Spyro 1 would probablyyyy been my answer going off by impressions from what I've seen. But I can't say. So Sonic 1 gets my vote.

I actually think these have all held up very well in terms of gameplay. I'd say Spyro has held up the best on account of still being the best game in the series and one of the PS1's best games. But yeah, these are all still very fun to play.

I've actually replayed all these in the past few years too lol. All still a good time.

Super Mario Bros. is literally too iconic to age. It just... looks exactly like it should, and still plays extremely well. Like, it really doesn't feel like a primative video game, it just feels like Super Mario Bros.

Crash 1 is honestly awful. Donkey Kong Country 1 is fantastic. Mario 1 I haven't played all of but I think I know enough to size it up. Spyro I haven't played at all and Sonic 1 not much of.

Super Mario Bros, with Donkey Kong Country as a close second, and Sonic as a third. I don't think Crash or Spyro hold up at all. Mario still plays like a dream, while DKC is mostly great. Sonic 1 is good, but I just like Mario and DK more here.

I would have thrown in Mega Man 1 as well for good measure, and maybe even Wario Land 1, but for this poll my favorite is DKC1 hands down.

SMB1 is a classic and there isn't much wrong with it per se, but its lack of variety and simplicity keeps it from topping my list.
Sonic 1 is really uneven after Green Hill Zone. I feel it's definitely a game where the team was figuring it out, before releasing the fantastic Sonic 2.
Crash 1 is pretty good but rough at times especially towards the end but I've only played the N. Sane version so maybe I should give the original a shake.
Spyro 1 I've tried several times and it never really held my attention to the end. It's fine, it's inoffensive, but it doesn't speak to me that much.

DKC1 has a lot of cool areas, an iconic soundtrack, a riveting atmosphere, and introduced the Rare-era of DK with characters that I still love and think of fondly to this day, especially Diddy Kong and King K. Rool. While there's too many barrel blasting levels for my liking and towards the end they reuse a lot of cave/mine areas, it's still a solid game and by far the one here I return to the most, even if its sequels are better in most regards.

Crash 1 is still my favorite in the series, and maybe my favorite hyperlinear (i.e. get straight to the end point, this excludes even stuff like the Mario Galaxy games which have points with alternative win states) 3D platformer ever? It's challenging, but in a way that I've always found very fair. I also felt like they nailed how the game should feel right from the jump.

Good arguments for both SMB1 and DKC1; i'm just surprised Crash 1 has as many votes as it does since i'd put it dead last of the available options, definitely behind Sonic 1, and Spyro coming later helped it have a better first installment (Crash 2 and 3 are probably better than Spyro 2 and 3, though).

DKC1 edges out SMB1 and Spyro just barely for me.

Sonic 1 is a game that peters out after the first zone and Crash 1 is brutal and lacking outside of its original context.

Spyro 1 still holds up really well. Maybe all the dragons are similar and some of the polygons are off, but the hard lean into fantasy aesthetic still is beautiful to this day. And the game is just the right balance of difficulty for the era. Also it's the purest of the Spyro trilogy, not having to be bogged down by a lot of gimmicks to sustain itself.

SMB1 is a classic and still perfectly playable to this day. Yeah the physics aren't as smooth as future Mario games would refine, but they still work wonderfully in the context of the levels built for the game. The game never asks too much or too little of you, and perfectly packs a neat challenge.

DKC1 though. Say what you will about those models, but I say they still look charming to this day (at least from a distance). The platforming has more ups and downs than Mario does, but those ups really do soar. And the music is still absolutely legendary. A lot of this game is built on its atmosphere while still being able to provide a good set of platforming levels. And there is something about the rogue's gallery I adore.

But I'd say it's a tight race.

It's a coin toss between SMB1 and DKC1 to me. Both of them are very mechanically strong in terms of the core design, they both are still fluid and fun to control, and while they're very dated graphically they have their own charming and distinct styles that remain iconic.

I think the main issues with both is that they wear out their welcome by the end with the games continuing on for several levels where the designers seemed to have just run out of ideas. DKC1 having more variation in its level ideas with animal buddies, minecarts, and barrel cannon sections makes it a better playing experience to me, although SMB1 having level skips built in helps get rid of the need to do all 32 of its levels as well. Overall I prefer DKC1 if only cause I find it easier to go back to if I want to play an old DKC cause the gap isn't as wide between it and its sequels compared to how SMB1 is to SMB3/SMW.

I love all of those games, but it's DKC for me. Shocking I know.

If I were to rank them:
DKC > Sonic > Crash > Spyro > SMB

I played SMB, Sonic and DKC at launch, and then again on various platforms since. I’m not the biggest fan of any of them (they are great games but there are stacks of great platformers from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras). SMB at least was almost a decade earlier than DKC, it was a stunning game for 1985 whereas I didn’t find DKC to be great compared to its peers in the middle of the SNES cycle, even though I found the visuals and speed of both DKC and Sonic to be very attractive. Still, if we’re talking about which I would choose to play now, it would be SMB, as it’s simplicity works in its favour for the restrictive controls compared to later games, whereas I still find Sonic and DKC to be slippery in comparison, even though they look and sound amazing.

Mario 1 is still a bomb ass game, especially with a friend on the couch

I adore Spyro 1, though. it's such a tight and well-executed game

edit: to be clear it's 100% Mario 1

Overall I prefer DKC1 if only cause I find it easier to go back to if I want to play an old DKC cause the gap isn't as wide between it and its sequels compared to how SMB1 is to SMB3/SMW.
This is how I feel as well. A lot of first entries in platformer series I rank a lot lower than their sequels, but I’d say DKC1 is really only maybe a tier or two removed from its sequels so I find the original trilogy the easiest to play as a whole unit.

Just wanna say I finished a replay of Sonic 1 and yeah I still don't like this game very much lol

Honestly the gulf between Sonic 1 and 2/3K is vast, after Green Hill Zone it kind of becomes a chore to play for me.

Just wanna say I finished a replay of Sonic 1 and yeah I still don't like this game very much lol

Honestly the gulf between Sonic 1 and 2/3K is vast, after Green Hill Zone it kind of becomes a chore to play for me.

Yeah, the only thing in Sonic's favor is that it is so short. You can still make a good run of the game go fast as you improve.

DKC, followed by Spyro 1 for me. All the other games have greatness to them but are a lot more aged or rough around the edges depending. DKC is still pretty glorious to play today, and Spyro is still a top tier 3D platformer to me. I can't take anyone who voted for SMB1 seriously being honest. The game while a remarkable achievement for the time has certainly not aged best. It's routinely surpassed by other releases, including indie titles, where as nothing comes out and is just better than DKC1, even today.

To have aged well means you still stand up well within the genre, and there are likely hundreds of games that play better than SMB1, yet very few that can match Mario 3 for example.

Last edited:
It’s between Spyro and DKC for me. Spyro 1 is a very tightly designed, consistently great 3D platformer without any filler, and DKC is the same but for 2D.

Sonic has the best first level, though. Too bad it doesn’t keep up that quality for the whole game.

I wouldn't recommend any of them, to be honest, but SMB1 is the only one I'd personally play again (and do, every so often).

It’s between Spyro and DKC for me. Spyro 1 is a very tightly designed, consistently great 3D platformer without any filler, and DKC is the same but for 2D.

Sonic has the best first level, though. Too bad it doesn’t keep up that quality for the whole game.
With Sonic I loved the first zone, Green Hill Zone was amazing, fast and fresh. And then you go into Marble Zone for slooow pushing blocks and slooow underwater sections. It just felt like hitting a dead stop after immediately hitting it’s stride.

I get what it was trying to do- an immediate change of pace like SMB’s underground/water areas- but it just felt out of place for Sonic to me after introducing with some really fun and original gameplay.

Super Mario Bros is kind of a perfect game, but I also wouldn’t reach for it in favor of its sequels (US Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario Land being the few exceptions). Donkey Kong Country I’d rather play on most days so I’m voting for DK.

I’m not a 2D Sonic fan and I don’t have enough extended experience with Crash and Spyro. I have played bits of both. So the other three aren’t in contention for me.

I feel that, to have a complete opinion for this question, I need to play through the Donkey Kong Country games. But to answer to the four I have played, I'm gonna go with Super Mario Bros. It's an extremely well-done first attempt whose only real weakness is that it repeats a few of its levels. 3 and World are better games, yes, but I find that 1 has its own unique feel - a bit heavier, focused on pushing forward while still facilitating secrets and hidden goodies. Only Lost Levels really compares (Land is a bit too janky), but 1 is the more approachable and comfortable time. I ended up really getting into Super Mario Bros. thanks to the Game & Watch, and I'm glad I did.

As for the others:
  • Sonic 1 is also a game I've played many times. I've gotten decently good at it, so the worse levels aren't as rough, but I do find it most fun with a spin dash (and even a drop dash).
  • Crash 1 can feel a little rough around the edges, and the 100% in the original version is a massive pain.
  • I played Spyro 1 a lot as a kid, but playing the remake a few years ago, I got...kinda bored, actually?

This is tough. A lot of good choices here. Nostalgia plays into it, but I have to go with Donkey Kong Country. Graphics still look good. Game has the right difficulty. You can play through it quickly while diving a little deeper to get 100%.

Super Mario Bros is kind of a perfect game, but I also wouldn’t reach for it in favor of its sequels (US Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario Land being the few exceptions). Donkey Kong Country I’d rather play on most days so I’m voting for DK.

I’m not a 2D Sonic fan and I don’t have enough extended experience with Crash and Spyro. I have played bits of both. So the other three aren’t in contention for me.

I'm not really sure how it's a perfect game, it has almost no variety in themes and you can't even scroll the screen backwards, the physics are ancient feeling in contrast, there is no variety in powerups, and only one boss type through the entire game basically. There is also very little enemy variety, it's a very basic game.

The gap between SMB to SMB3 is frankly insane. In my perspective, SMB brought the medium to new heights and showed what it can do in a new light, and deserves any and all credit there. As for how it holds up in modern times, if it was released exactly as is today for the first time, it would be panned. Nothing in modern times releases and matches Mario 3 or SMW in terms of 2D platformers, which is why those are always referenced alongside titles like DKC, no one is aiming to beat such a low bar.

As a child, I loved videogames and was there during their growth, but Mario 3 cemented the medium as an art form for me and many others, it's an astonishing work even all these decades later.

Back
Top Bottom