• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

someone over on era compared musk taking over twitter to wheatley taking over aperture science in portal 2 and now that's all i can think about

This is interesting, Tumblr might get support for the Mastodon network

IIUC, the Mastodon user sign up kinda works like emails: people can use different providers and still interact with each other. Theoretically anyone following the correct protocols may be part of the network! So Mastodon and Tumblr users would be able to follow and interact with each other

This seems to be the protocol that needs support: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActivityPub

ZCEUHSu.png

I'm borderline crylaughing at this

By the sound of it, the hid the UI elements to access the Twitter Blue signup, but given how this has gone so far they probably didn't scrub the workflow entirely. So anyone who really wants to make a parody account still can, it just probably takes a couple minutes of googling to figure out how to do it now.

ZCEUHSu.png

I'm borderline crylaughing at this

By the sound of it, the hid the UI elements to access the Twitter Blue signup, but given how this has gone so far they probably didn't scrub the workflow entirely. So anyone who really wants to make a parody account still can, it just probably takes a couple minutes of googling to figure out how to do it now.
933.png

I'm not that smart of a person and even I would have just quietly taken over, kept everything in place and just been hands off for a period while observing and internally testing things.

If it wasn't $44 Billion, this is a textbook capture and kill....

It really seems like Musk is intentionally trying to kill the site. Which would be entirely unremarkable if it weren't for the $44 billion that he's flushing down the toilet, not to mention the billions in Tesla stock he's leveraged. I don't know anything when it comes to finance and even I can see how bad of a deal this was.

It really seems like Musk is intentionally trying to kill the site. Which would be entirely unremarkable if it weren't for the $44 billion that he's flushing down the toilet, not to mention the billions in Tesla stock he's leveraged. I don't know anything when it comes to finance and even I can see how bad of a deal this was.
Going to have to go with Hanlon's Razor for this one. Musk has demonstrated pretty clearly that he has no idea what he's doing.

My personal prediction on Twitter's death date has gone from "by March" to "by the end of this month". Dear god.

Going to have to go with Hanlon's Razor for this one. Musk has demonstrated pretty clearly that he has no idea what he's doing.
Personally I think Hanlon's Razor should be inversed for the rich and powerful, because regardless if they're stupid, their actions hurt an untold amount of people. He was also clearly trying to rush the paid checkmarks out by the 7th to let right-wing trolls spread shit tons of FUD ahead of the US elections. For the most part though, yeah he is really stupid

Nothing about any of this makes any sense. Not buying the site in the first place, not the price, not what he's doing to it.

Thing is, I do agree with a lot of his concerns about the outsized power Twitter has as a global town square in modern society. A politician or journalist without access to it is basically crippled. That's... uncomfortable power to give a private company.

I also like the idea of paying for social media, but only if that means you are free from ads, free from having your data sold and you get some control over the algorithm that feeds you content. That would be a much healthier social media. Of course, I don't think that's what Elon's up to, lol. But I'd like to see more media move away from advertising and towards subs, like newspapers did.

I think it's funny that I deleted my twitter on the day Musk took over without knowing that he did. It looks like a protest but I was just sick of my feed showing me the same old bullshit. Too addictive, not enough substance. Better off without it.

What's interesting is just how hard people have found it to find an alternative. Shows that there's something actually valuable there, if Musk can just stop fucking up for 5 minutes. Ultimately, I think it'll survive.

And they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they—

Okay the new Bring A Trailer parody account has me losing it

Dare I say Musk may have made twitter better, accidentally 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Regarding parodies, the thread where someone pretended to be George W. Bush getting nostalgic over the Iraq War and Tony Blair QRTing in agreement should be preserved in a museum I think

Regarding parodies, the thread where someone pretended to be George W. Bush getting nostalgic over the Iraq War and Tony Blair QRTing in agreement should be preserved in a museum I think
I don’t think anything is gonna beat that pharmaceutical company parody tweeting that insulin was now free. That actually caused a drop in that company’s stock prices. The real account tweeted an apology for any confusion.

Shoutout to the Lockheed Martin parody saying they weren’t gonna sell weapons to Saudi Arabia.

I don't know why this whole situation keeps being so immensely entertaining. Something about a dog finally getting a hold of that car it's been chasing for ages, only to realise that it has no idea what to do with it in the first place.

He decided to make fun of a US Senator who is on committees that would oversee both Twitter and Space X instead of addressing his problem so you know, going great there.
Is that the one Musk made fun of for wearing a mask and then said his writings read like a parody?

Is that the one Musk made fun of for wearing a mask and then said his writings read like a parody?
Yeah that guy. Definitely not the guy you want to make an enemy of when all of your moves are inching you ever closer to government intervention of some kind.

Yeah that guy. Definitely not the guy you want to make an enemy of when all of your moves are inching you ever closer to government intervention of some kind.

Hey, that's my Senator, nice.

Took the weekend off and currently catching up on everything. So...

Is it dead yet?
The lettuce is still looking pretty healthy to me, a nice crisp white on the edges of the leaves and a vibrant green tone in the centre. It looks ready to go the distance, unlike that social media thingy.

.............................what

Did you know? Only 20% of these services are required! There's no reason for me not to pull the plug on all of them!

What's that? Key security features are down now? What the hell, why aren't my engineers fixing that? What do I pay them for? Better get on twitter and tweet something real fast!

Ah the old “push random buttons” to figure out how something works trick. If only there were people at the company to tell him which wires shouldn’t be cut…
This just made me think of the "Mr. Incredible finds out" meme and I cannot WAIT to see the inevitable videos that transpose these tweets onto that video.

Ah the old “push random buttons” to figure out how something works trick. If only there were people at the company to tell him which wires shouldn’t be cut…
someone tell him to divide by 0 or install that game that deletes all of your software

Back
Top Bottom