• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

He’s somehow proud of this because of course he is.

1668086987751.jpeg

Has it all crashed and burned yet? Will the lettuce outlast twitter.com?
It hasn't fully burned yet, definitely in the process of sinking but we're in the "the band is playing Smashmouth on the way down for the lulz" stage

A tweet I saw earlier really put it best. This is like a business scheme concocted by Nathan Fielder. Buy a $44b company to make $200 off troll accounts.

okay yikes I've deactivated my accounts

hopefully they get deleted before a major breach
yeaaaaaah, that seems like it's the smart play. i've had my twitter account for something like thirteen years, but i won't let sentiment stop me from keeping my info safe.

wow

yeah i'm absolutely gone. i didn't really post anything to twitter anyway, only used it to follow local sports talk hosts, see local mountain bike trail conditions, and wario64. it's just not worth it anymore.

that is disgusting.

Literally “pay $8 or get shadowbanned”. Funny how all the right-wingers aren’t calling him out on this.

Or he’s feeding off their insecurity.

Absolutely loving him showing the world how much a hell scape the world would be if run by tech-libertarian bros.

He only doesn’t fear the FTC because they didn’t go after him for stock manipulation after the stunt he pulled a couple years ago.

If they want to go after him now is the perfect time to do it unless they want to wait and see what the banks do to him first

i deactivated my account and removed twitter from my phone's home screen. what a strange feeling. i didn't lose anything and yet there's a feeling of emptiness. twitter was a constant for my entire adult life.

i deactivated my account and removed twitter from my phone's home screen. what a strange feeling. i didn't lose anything and yet there's a feeling of emptiness. twitter was a constant for my entire adult life.

I feel you on this. It was a very strange feeling to deactivate and remove the app after.... well, 8 years in my case. But it also feels very cathartic to be rid of it. And tbh I'm not sure I did enjoy it all that much towards the end there. In many ways a very unhealthy social environment.

The bleeding continues...

7Bx2oob.png

GI0wtdX.png

Don't need a head of sales if you no longer have a product to sell, and you no longer need a head of HR if you don't have a company for people to work for 🙃

I'd be willing to bet $8 that Tesla sell off was to get a retainer for lawyers to handle a bankruptcy filing. At this rate Twitter is dead in a week.

And on a funny note

oN2KBv6.png

EDIT:

Looks like the banks are looking to cash out

Last edited:
I've been interested in how bad the dumpster fire is gonna get and I think I finally realized why: after years and years of this concept of these large, ubiquitous entities being "too big to fail," it's kind of amazing symbolically that something like twitter could be so thoroughly hosed within the space of a month.

There is something so immensely satisfying about watching someone who is equally rich and awful having to buy a new toy that he didn't even really want to buy in the first place, stumbling around on how in the living hell he is actually supposed to make money off it, and ultimately being so fucking clueless about everything that he ends up pressing random buttons to check which one will make it all blow up in his face faster.

Hope he buys facebook next.

Can confirm, the option is currently gone off my Twitter app.

Just waiting on one more thing and then I can close my account, I took care of my last business there otherwise. The last 24 hours pushed me over the edge for leaving.

I don't understand why Musk couldn't have bought the company and then just... let it be? He had to come in with his massive ego and start making changes and that's what got him into this mess. He could have been the owner of Twitter and everything would have been fine.
I think you already answered your own question.

I don't understand why Musk couldn't have bought the company and then just... let it be? He had to come in with his massive ego and start making changes and that's what got him into this mess. He could have been the owner of Twitter and everything would have been fine.
He had to make changes to be able to pay his creditors back. He brought so much debt to bear onto Twitter that it would be losing money hand over first without changes.

He was forced into following through on this deal after spending months trying to back out of it, and had to take on huge amounts of debt in order to finance the purchase.

Twitter is not a profit making organization, but the way it worked before, they could probably have ticked along making huge revenue and growing the userbase just fine. Musk has disrupted everything by dumping a shit load of debt on the company in no time at all, using his shares in Tesla as collateral. It's an abslutely absurd financial situation.

Woke up this morning wondering if the chaos since Twitter Blue went live is going to be the last straw and trigger Section 230 reform. Because if there's anything that'll motivate politicians in the US it's businesses donors with hurt feelings, not stuff like hate speech

I've been interested in how bad the dumpster fire is gonna get and I think I finally realized why: after years and years of this concept of these large, ubiquitous entities being "too big to fail," it's kind of amazing symbolically that something like twitter could be so thoroughly hosed within the space of a month.
There's definitely an aspect of karma that's been going on for like the last two weeks that's for sure

Back
Top Bottom