• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

I don't like Musk and I don't like Twitter.

I'm just sitting here eating popcorn.

I do appreciate commitment to a stupid sink pun, but I also doubt Musk himself came up with it.

y'know that's a good point

I don't need to post stuff instantly

I will definitely lose the ability to make posts for the lobby which is a bummer
Yeah, that's an absolute mood.

Bring back Miiverse, Nintendo. Seriously. You have a chance to replace both Twitter and Facebook now.

Lol. So ‘weird nerd taking bullet for Elon’ asks the Elon board for something to counter the ‘weird nerd taking bullet for Elon’ meme. This is like me asking for a counter to the ‘Grandpa Simpson walks in, hangs up his hat, forgets what he’s talking about, grabs his hat and walks out’ meme by entering a thread, losing my train of thought and then leaving the thread.

Last edited:
I still have twitter for switch and uh y'know

I can get my uh y'know in a lot of places but I'll lose my bookmarks, and switch obviously has no alternatives

holding out for him to turn it over again but I'm starting to think that won't happen
There's a bunch of ways to get screenshots and videos out of a Switch. You can:
  • Take out the SD card (after turning the system fully off, of course)
  • Use the transfer to smartphone feature
  • Go into the data management menu and use the copy via USB option, which lets you transfer them via MTP.

Sending to mobile device is the best way to get stuff off Switch imo, means I can crop and edit before posting elsewhere without relying on the scant editing features on the Switch itself.

oh god

Is Yuji Naka agreeing with Musk? 😩😩😩

Elon Wonderworld! And at $8, it's actually a few dollars cheaper than the first game is.

So something has been wrecking the back of my brain for the last few days and it's the growing realization that I'm going to miss Twitter. Dearly.

I agree that the service has its issues, but for all those issues, I'd wager that there are plenty of pleasant memories that all of you may have made over the years it's been around. Like, promote Mastodon or cohost or dreamwidth or making your own website all you want but the cool thing about Twitter is that it was a place where you could just happen upon stuff and finding out you like it - be it the fruit of someone's artistic creation, a clever video or write-up about a topic you never thought about, or just some local stuff you didn't exactly know was going on.

And ffs, I'm going to miss that. I'm gonna miss stumbling on to an artist, a game or something along those lines. Mastodon is maybe good for that, but it's so fragmented and wonky that idk if I'll ever use it in a serious manner.

I seriously hope someone forks it, takes it away from the Apartheid Emerald Fuckboy and rebuilds it. Not necessarily the exact way it was, but having an "everything place" would do wonders. And it doesn't need to become the "Everything App" either, it just needs to be this sort of hub from which you can jump across the rest of the web.

So something has been wrecking the back of my brain for the last few days and it's the growing realization that I'm going to miss Twitter. Dearly.
Me too, if it goes. I use it for news aggregation (music, games, politics, wrestling, all the important stuff), but I also like the (admittedly quite parasocial) friendships I have there that I just don't think will go beyond the service because they're not that deep. I also think Twitter has a pretty specific shitposting ecosystem and language(s) that again, doesn't translate directly elsewhere.

I have to wonder how many interested parties must be desperate for it to keep going. I think Raccoon mentioned in the other thread on this, but it's a free PR platform for businesses, politicians, entertainers, etc. It vanishing would suddenly mean they lose a lot of eyeballs on whatever it is they want out there.

I really doubt that's real.

Presumably the poster is again trying to poke at Elon Musk's free speech nonsense with clear defamation.

Gonna have to agree with this Atlantic headline

They are so deep in the hole due to his financing there's literally nothing they can do to make the math work

Edit:
There’s no way this doesn’t end in Musk getting absolutely financially wrecked or defenstrated like a Russian oil baron

Last edited:
Fg8AoPAXgAM1i10

A full paywall for Twitter will immediately kill it since no one is going to pay for it and for everyone left they suddenly have significantly less people to talk to and see/share their posts so they will leave too. It’s astounding just how colossally dumb he is.

A full paywall for Twitter will immediately kill it since no one is going to pay for it and for everyone left they suddenly have significantly less people to talk to and see/share their posts so they will leave too. It’s astounding just how colossally dumb he is.
I'm seriously starting to wonder if tanking it is his intent. Especially considering where the investment money came from. They'd have an interest, I think, in the world losing one of its primary forms of immediate, centralized communication. And Musk would be able to blame "the left" for destroying it.

Last edited:
I'm seriously starting to wonder if tanking it is his intent. Especially considering where the investment money came from. They'd have an interest, I think, in the world losing one of its primary forms of immediate, centralized communication. And Musk would be able to blame "the left" for destroying it.
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time one of his investors financed a venture that loses hand over fist but does enough damage to disrupt the actual conversations necessary to... probably make it worth their while?

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Welp, Twitter has been a toxic hellhole as long as I can remember (despite the #gamedev space being super nice).

As far as Musk is concerned, I first had the idea that he was a loose cannon, shooting in the approximate right direction, but after all the awful stuff he's pulled after becoming successful I hope he crashes and burns. I've got the feeling a lot of people have started seeing him for what he is recently, which is good.

Here's hoping Musk loses a lot of money (keep on tankin', Tesla stock), Twitter disappears into irrelevancy (seems likely at the moment), and the US is still more or less democratic in 2030.

as a depressing side note, the years from 2016 onward have been a brutal disillusionment.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time one of his investors financed a venture that loses hand over fist but does enough damage to disrupt the actual conversations necessary to... probably make it worth their while?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Here's hoping Musk loses a lot of money
Likely
Twitter disappears into irrelevancy
Likely
and the US is still more or less democratic in 2030
ouch, combo breaker

Rather than thinking this is a four dimensional chess game to destroy Twitter from the inside, I think it's much more likely a combination of:

• Musk being a raging narcissist
  • Musk being far stupider than he thinks he is
  • Musk being strung out on coke and other narcotics

...That's causing him to flail around like an angry beached whale, rather than it being any master plan to own the Left. Like, if a billionaire got lost sniffing lines of coke up their own arse and only had Yes Men to try and help them back out, this is the sort of thing I can imagine them doing.

Yeah, there's no master plan here. Musk fucked around, found out when he was forced into the deal, and is now desperately trying to pretend he is smart and in control even as he blindly flails around to wring some value out of the big black hole he just bought.

It's actually pretty amazing the amount of brain worms that social media and/or cocaine have unleashed on the capitalist system.

Like, we've seen rich people buying up companies for centuries now. It's a pretty old established part of the capitalist system. But what we're now getting to see is a combination of:

1) People being so ungodly rich they can actually buy up entire chunks of infrastructure

2) People being so wacked out on drugs they're incapable of making coherent decisions

3) People both becoming addicted to social media, and having their every action and social fuck up play out on social media in front of a mass audience

In the future, when companies are relying on AI algorithms to drive their decision making, I think Musk buying Twitter is going to be the textbook example of why. His crazy behaviour has the potential to both affect his holdings in Tesla and in SpaceX.

Heh maybe this is a blessing in disguise, this could be the end of Musk and Twitter, personally i believe the world would be better if both happen (I settle with Musk's ruin at least )

I read somewhere that he put up his shares of Tesla as collateral?

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if everything is going according to plan and, if anything, Elon's performance so far has exceeded their wildest dreams.

This is, in a word, brilliant. Elon has disrupted the game and reinvented verification for the modern age, finally giving us assurance that accounts are held accountable for who they represent.

The existence of "counter-memes" is news to me, but I believe this screenshot will become one for whatever they come up with
That's the beauty of it, no matter what they decide to use it will be inundated with responses of this picture

I read somewhere that he put up his shares of Tesla as collateral?
If he did they're still not going to be happy. It's trading at 1/2 of what it was a year ago:

h1zeW59.png

No one is going to be happy being handed a bucket of cash and then told a year later it's now worth 1/2 of what it was.

The funny thing is that it started to recover when Elon tried to worm his way out of the deal back in the summer, and then started plummeting when Twitter shareholders approved the sale.

EDIT: Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
Dude is the king of unforced errors. Like if you had any amount of chill and spent your time counting your money.... Ego is a hell of a fucking drug. Like why not light 44 billion on fire instead?

Back
Top Bottom