• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

I keep hoping he forgot or inadequately addressed the German lawsuit and they’ll just end him there with endless fines.
Just as long as he gets barraged with lawsuits and whatever other crap there is to make his life as miserable as possible until he gives up in everything :d

Twitter banned the official Mastodon account and they’re preventing people from posting Mastodon links. Its network is made of independent servers with totally different url domains so good luck to them blocking them all xD

Last edited:
lxq8cr4_d.webp

I was still able to bring myself to log into the website before this but yeah, this is kinda the last straw as far as I'm concerned. Most of what I enjoy there is content by journalists anyway, drive them off and you've got a very undesirable hellsite full of right wing trolls and bots.

Which I'm guessing is what he wants.

I think it’s that with the dogwhistle of ignorance being the point. “I’m a moron who’s terrified of change, who’s with me!”
Yea, the terms are just co-opted / lost all meaning beyond “this is a thing I don’t like primal scream” and a form of virtue signaling / secret handshake to show where on the political spectrum you are

It was funny at first but now it's just gross and pathetic. I wish Musk would just take the L and sell twitter or just shut up for a bit or whatever.

He's determined to drive anything that actually brought value to the website off of the platform, and he's going to be left holding the bag.

It was funny at first but now it's just gross and pathetic. I wish Musk would just take the L and sell twitter or just shut up for a bit or whatever.
If he's as narcissistic as he's demonstrating, he's practically incapable of taking an L and admitting defeat by selling the company off

He's determined to drive anything that actually brought value to the website off of the platform, and he's going to be left holding the bag.
i doubt he's going to sell twitter since it's his pet project now and due to plummeting stokes he's probably going to be ousted as the tesla CEO

I think he may be forced to sell Twitter at some point.
Either that or he never sets foot in a Saudi embassy ever again

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it. I can get why the dude got spooked by the incident in LA a couple days ago and has gone on a rampage trying to block all location information from being easily accessed. I'd probably do the same if I had made my bed with some of the characters believed to be involved with financing the Twitter purchase.

Doesn't make it right or any less dumb, but I'm sure his paranoia is ramped up to 11 right now in general.

Either that or he never sets foot in a Saudi embassy ever again

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it. I can get why the dude got spooked by the incident in LA a couple days ago and has gone on a rampage trying to block all location information from being easily accessed. I'd probably do the same if I had made my bed with some of the characters believed to be involved with financing the Twitter purchase.

Doesn't make it right or any less dumb, but I'm sure his paranoia is ramped up to 11 right now in general.
Im OOTL, what happened in LA a few days back?

Im OOTL, what happened in LA a few days back?
My, limited and second/third-hand, understanding is he claims someone followed his car after he landed at LAX Wednesday evening and at some point the follower got in front of the car and banged on the hood or got up on the roof. Musk seems to think it's related to ElonJet reporting he landed in LAX. So boop the bot, then other bots reporting flight information, and any journos covering the story.

My, limited and second/third-hand, understanding is he claims someone followed his car after he landed at LAX Wednesday evening and at some point the follower got in front of the car and banged on the hood or got up on the roof. Musk seems to think it's related to ElonJet reporting he landed in LAX. So boop the bot, then other bots reporting flight information, and any journos covering the story.
Also second/third hand, but I saw someone ran the geolocation for the photos Musk used to dox the guy, and apparently it was nowhere near the airport 🤷‍♂️

If that's true then he just doxxed a random angry dude and said it happened at the airport to justify his actions.

Also second/third hand, but I saw someone ran the geolocation for the photos Musk used to dox the guy, and apparently it was nowhere near the airport 🤷‍♂️

If that's true then he just doxxed a random angry dude and said it happened at the airport to justify his actions.
Not only was it nowhere near the airport, but the bot hadn't even posted about any flights that day. And he banned several people who pointed out "isn't it against the rules for you to dox this person".

Wait, he did it more than once?!
I'm not sure which instances supra has in mind, but there was the cave thing a while back, and earlier this month he started publicly accusing the previous Twitter head of trust & safety (who AFAIK is a gay jewish man) of being a pedophile right after firing him. The ""evidence"" (not that it read as such even out of context) Musk used was an out-of-context snippet of a paper Roth wrote on how to keep teens safer from predators when they lie about their age to access adult spaces.

Wait, he did it more than once?!
Well he famously did it years ago to the diver who called him out on his bullshit submarine while those kids were trapped, but recently I saw he was going through and picking out quotes by a person who was talking about the value of having LGBT literature in school because it helped them better understand their own stuff, and Elon shared those excerpts and insisted the person "wanted children exposed to sexualized content."

So yeah

QUESTION:

Who had an account who has now binned it off?

I have two. I’ve canned my music one yesterday and I’m close to closing my business one and simply using LinkedIn instead.

QUESTION:

I have two. I’ve canned my music one yesterday and I’m close to closing my business one and simply using LinkedIn instead.
I deactivated my account a couple of days ago. I had stopped tweeting already a few years ago due to a general social media fatigue, but had kept the account around for news and video game stuff.

QUESTION:

I deactivated my account last month. I’ve I’ve had my Twitter account since 2009. I mostly used it for video game news, but I get most of that from fami and era anyway.

Canned my Twitter-account a few years ago. Had it since 2009 but got tired of the constant argueing with dumb right wing fools. Figured it wasn't worth my time and I feel I was right.

I still have my accounts because at the moment I don't really have an alternative I can fully swap to, unfortunately T_T

I've had art accounts on other sites this whole time (Tumblr, Cohost, Artfol, recently Itaku), but none of them ever got as much traction as Twitter, and all my attempts to try to get my Twitter followers to move to the other sites have had <0.5% conversion rate total across sites, so at the moment if I leave I functionally lose my entire following and my ability to ever take art commissions.

And that's without talking about my options for my NSFW art account, because Apple's stranglehold on mobile apps forces cross-platform apps to ban almost all 18+ content unless they want to lose out on the entire iOS userbase. Tumblr and Artfol ban NSFW outright (and before someone suggests it, so does Post). Cohost and Itaku don't, but neither of them really have much of a userbase at this point because almost no one is migrating to them.

Mastodon isn't really an option for either given that the federated aspect kneecaps art discovery to a ridiculous degree.

Okay this is some real fear mongering bullshit. First off, the author doesn’t specify what ‘the new policy’ actually is and instead talks about how neo-Nazis are going to take over the service and kill left leaning accounts. From the sounds of it the actual policy is users often muting/blocking specifics accounts will diminish that account’s reach. Seems like the type of thing that could cut both ways.

I know we all hate Musk and want to see him fail. I’m right there with you, he clearly has no long-term plan and you get the sense he just wakes up with a new idea then makes the engineers at Twitter implement with no one stopping to think it through. He also showed that 7500 people could be laid off with no service interruptions and that maybe tech giants don’t actually need to have 10000+ employees in the first place (if this sounds harsh, it kinda is, but those folks worked at Twitter they’ll be fine)

It’s pretty clear Twitter isn’t going away at this point. All the weird clinging to hope that regulations will bring the hammer down and drive Musk out is pretty desperate. Yeah it’ll get stupider but everyone is still going to use it because it works, is simple, and everyone is already on it. There are plenty of things to actually criticize about Musk and Twitter that overreacting to every little minor development as the moment fascists are going to take over world or the moment Musk will be driven to ruin is only going to make less people pay attention.

Okay this is some real fear mongering bullshit. First off, the author doesn’t specify what ‘the new policy’ actually is and instead talks about how neo-Nazis are going to take over the service and kill left leaning accounts. From the sounds of it the actual policy is users often muting/blocking specifics accounts will diminish that account’s reach. Seems like the type of thing that could cut both ways.
It's about a new policy that would specifically only let twitter blue users dimish others' reach by blocking/muting, so it's absolutely targeted in the same way every policy so far has been.

That said, the author of that post was kind of infamous on Twitter for being really bad at analyzing things and really quick to fearmonger, so I don't think his opinion is really of much use to anyone in this case.
I know we all hate Musk and want to see him fail. I’m right there with you, he clearly has no long-term plan and you get the sense he just wakes up with a new idea then makes the engineers at Twitter implement with no one stopping to think it through. He also showed that 7500 people could be laid off with no service interruptions and that maybe tech giants don’t actually need to have 10000+ employees in the first place (if this sounds harsh, it kinda is, but those folks worked at Twitter they’ll be fine)
The service quality has gone down on a technical level since, tweets frequently fail to load properly and there were large-scale issues with 2FA among other things. Plus, a large amount of the people laid off weren't related to tech, among others there's basically no moderation team anymore and those get real big real fast on a site with >100 million users.

I agree it's worth reconsidering exactly how large some of the social media companies need to get, but I don't think this is an especially useful example because we don't have a clear enough idea of both who was responsible for what, and just how bad the current state of things is internally.

Who wants to bet he banned a bunch of journalists specifically to get a rise out of the media so he could then turn around and "prove" they're hypocrites? 🙄

What's fuckin me up is people in the comments taking the position of "funny, nobody complains about there not being WalMart ads inside of Target, or Burger King ads inside of McDonald's" to defend this absolute horseshit move

What's fuckin me up is people in the comments taking the position of "funny, nobody complains about there not being WalMart ads inside of Target, or Burger King ads inside of McDonald's" to defend this absolute horseshit move
they're a bunch of nobodies that is all

Notably Parler isn’t on that list. Not sure if that’s because it’s a non-entity or Musk is a-ok with that.

It would be funny if Facebook blocks Twitter posts in retaliation, given it is a much larger platform.

Maybe the next step is to juice subscriber numbers by mailing everyone in America a free CD which auto-loads Twitter dot com and a one month Twitter Blue voucher

Okay I know I was just in here yesterday saying how I didn’t think twitter would ever die and that most things people pointed to as the beginning of the end would end up being non-events, but this is some grade-A bullshit. Like even the most stringent “free speech” absolutist can recognize this is just petulant and the loser is clearly just trying to turn the platform into his personal fan club.

Back
Top Bottom