• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elon Musk and the End of Twitter

Rate-limiting an account providing alerts during a natural disaster. Good start to 2024 for Twitter.

They've fixed it now, presumably Twitter staff managed to dissuade Elon from posting 🤣💀🪦 or something.

thI16RU.jpeg

Re: Ken Klippenstein,

Not as though his ban was...retaliation??? Couldn't be!

I get a big laugh out of thinking Elon is going "hey, these people are sharing news I don't like, let's purge them from public communication...... oh shit, people noticed!! quick, reinstate them before it looks like we did it purposefully!!" 🤣

For crying out loud LEAVE TWITTER.

These people need to leave. All at once. The faster mainstream society buries it the faster Elon will be out of a job. I’m still irked this damn website is still kicking.

And yeah it seems like the sole reason they even got reinstated was because one of his nazi pals got angry about it lol

It's easy to say that but the truth is that there isn't an adequate replacement for Twitter. Threads, Bluesky and Mastodon don't have the same level of capacity and engagement you'll get on Twitter. Anyone who can 'afford' to leave have already done so. Or they did (but maintain a lurking status on Twitter).

For better or worse, Twitter is still the town forum for the majority of people. The party have not dispersed yet, even it is getting ugly. The best we do is to try to stick to our corner.

On the bright side, Twitter as a business is probably draining Elon's finances. So it is still dying. Just a very, very slow, tweetdeck-less-for-non-subscribers death.

I managed to get a Bluesky invite! You can follow us here!

I think one thing that's holding Bluesky back is the lack of native video.

When I look at Twitter, a lot of its popular and interesting posts are videos, specifically of news and shitposts. Meanwhile, practically nobody uploads new videos to Bluesky. Bluesky supports video embeds, but it seems like the process of uploading something to another website introduces juuust enough friction to prevent most people from sharing any videos that they make themselves or rip from TikTok. As for TikTok itself, its videos can't be embedded at all. This is all an especially big problem for Gen Z, which is obsessed with short-form video.

In my experience, Bluesky is missing out on some of the chaotic fun that you can find on Twitter, and I think Bluesky's lack of native video is part of the reason why. I know that it's probably unreasonable to expect native video support from a small service like Bluesky, but it's still a shame that it's missing out on the benefits of having it.

Back
Top Bottom