• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Should the United Kingdom split?

Should the United Kingdom split up?

• Total voters

EddyZacianLand

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
On the other site, I saw someone post a thread asking if the US should break apart, so I started to think about my own country, the United Kingdom and whether its in our best interest to break apart and I think out of the 2 countries, this one is the more realistic and more inevitable one.

While I'm not British I believe every nation should be allowed to determine their future, and if this means being an independent country (or part of other country), they should be allowed, so if some nations want to split from the UK they should be allowed to but if they want to stay together then that also should be accepted.

Absolutely, at least in regards to Northern Ireland being either unified with Ireland or become its own nation (since after all this time they may want to now rules themselves), and Scotland should have their own determination post Brexit. I know before Brexit, it was controversial, but now, let them be free.

My only concern is Wales. Wales is an interesting country with its unique culture and language. How dependent are they economically with England due to its size and location?

Either way, Brexit put a damper. So let them be free as well.

Yes, Scotland is a million miles from England in terms of politics and what they want to be in the world, the direction of London-based politics is utterly at odds with what most Scots want. Irish unification seems inevitable. As for Wales, not sure but basically, anyone who wants to be independent, should be, self determination is a no brainer in any civilised world.

No. I believe we are better off united.
Why is it better for the likes of Scotland to be "United" in an increasingly right-win, authoritarian and incompetent state. i.e. have the opposite of what the population want, endlessly inflicted upon them? The UK not splitting up is only good for England, everyone else is being dragged down in the sinking ship.

I think England would be a lot weaker if the UK split, so as an English person I selfishly want to keep the union. But I suspect all the countries would be economically and defensively weaker in the long run. That’s just my feeling, not based on any science.

I totally see Ireland’s right to re-unification and Scotland’s to independence though

Why is it better for the likes of Scotland to be "United" in an increasingly right-win, authoritarian and incompetent state. i.e. have the opposite of what the population want, endlessly inflicted upon them? The UK not splitting up is only good for England, everyone else is being dragged down in the sinking ship.
That’s hopefully a relatively short term problem though. Good and bad govts come and go. If we’re really stuck on this atrocious path, then Scotland should absolutely go its own way

No, because then it will stopped to be the United Kingdom and they will start to be the Separated Kingdom.

I want a United States of Europe (I know, I know), but with what they currently have it would probably be better, so Northern Irland and Scotland can (re-)join the EU.

Yeah careful for what you wish for guys, if Scotland goes then left-wing politics in the United Kingdom will be set back another decade. Hell, as a Londoner I'd start pushing for the city's independence.

That said, I have full Irish heritage, and reunification looks more likely every day.

Last edited:
That’s hopefully a relatively short term problem though. Good and bad govts come and go. If we’re really stuck on this atrocious path, then Scotland should absolutely go its own way
50 out of the last 72 years have been Tory governments, with the Tories of the modern post-Brexit, post-Trump world, it's hard to imagine them being anything remotely sane anytime soon.

I think it’s hilariously bullshit that one of the main arguments against the last Scotland independence referendum was “if we split we’d no longer be part of the EU and we’d have to qualify on our own and that could take time and be economically disastrous in the short-term,” and then Scotland voted to remain part of the UK, and then immediately after the rest of the UK votes for Brexit shenanigans and Scotland is just kind of fucked.

So, yeah, Scotland would be better off not being part of the UK, and an Irish reunification also seems inevitable.

As an outsider it seems rather odd that whenever people are talking about the UK potentially splitting up, they only mention
  • Scottish independence
  • Irish re-unification
but never really seem to address the Welsh elephant in the room. Is Wales considered too weak to stand on its own legs (economically), and thus "stuck" with England, or is there simply not much of a desire for them to go independent?

Back
Top Bottom