• The Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event has begun! We're commemorating the 30th Anniversary of Super Mario All-Stars and the upcoming release of Super Mario Bros. Wonder with Famiboards' biggest event yet. From July 14 to September 14, aim to collect 60 badges or land a place on the High Score Tables - lucky participants will have a chance to win one of a few prizes!
  • Hey Famiboards, Episode 4 of the Famiboards Discussion Club is now live! WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss Princess Peach: Showtime, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, F-Zero 99, and the rest of the September Nintendo Direct! Check it out here!

Discussion Should Nintendo make save states standard in their modern games too?

Buried In Time

Windjammer
Pronouns
he/him
Legacy games on Nintendo Switch Online allow you to use save states, why not modern games? How would you feel if Nintendo started offering save states as an accessibility feature for their modern games or even the ability to do so on a system level for third party releases as well? Obviously online multiplayer would be excluded and devs (like FromSoftware) could still opt out of the feature if they believe it will adversely affect their creative intent.

Last edited:
Legacy games on Nintendo Switch Online allow you to use save states, why not modern games? How would you feel if Nintendo started offering save states as an accessibility feature for their modern games or even the ability to do so on a system level for third party releases as well? Obviously online multiplayer would be excluded and devs (like FromSoftware) could still opt out of the feature if they believe it will adversely affect their creative intent.
I'm assuming because the Switch has enough overhead to allow for save states/rewind for these older emulated ROMs, but not enough for modern games.

If you mean stuff like quick resume like Xbox/PS5 has, I think that's gonna be dependent on how much power the Switch 2 has to allow for that kind of feature.

It’s easy to put all old consoles ram content into disk nowadays. Imagine doing this for todays game and gigabytes of used memory.

I do think that you should be able to save in most games in almost any situation. Obviously it can be tough to make it work during combat and stuff like that, but in general having set save points just seems super archaic to me. I don't enjoy dying and losing half an hour of progress. It's not 1990 and I don't have hours and hours and hours to just sit and replay through the same sections over and over again anymore, you know?

Save state are entire ram section that the game is using. Easy and quick to reload when the games use less than 1mb of ram. A very different thing when modern games uses more than 10gb of rams. Quick resume is basically loading save state and you can see how slow it can be even with fast ram and storage. Not to mention it takes the same speed to save state so no automatically generated save states like with NSO.

I'd love for a feature like this - they already kinda did it with Pikmin 4 but not quite to the same effect. Seems like a nice QoL feature and would even be great for stuff like speedrunning. Though I do understand RAM limitations and whatnot would make it really hard to implement. Still, I'd love to see it.

Modern games use significantly more resources, so any modern game that wants to use save states needs to specifically reserve those resources for maintaining save states rather than being utilized for anything else. These games already have a very tight memory budget, and I really don't see developers being able to successfully make the case that save states are inherently more marketable than things like giant maps/graphics/etc.

Humans do not and will not have the magical capability to will seemingly simple ideas into existence. An idea needs to have a viable path to being implemented, otherwise it's not a good idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom