• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Shemue's Everlasting Curse Continues: Season 2 of Shenmue the Animation not happening...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1141
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1141

While the more important headline is in general that the Crunchyroll titles are being removed from Adult Swim and HBO Max, it would appear notably that Shenmue was supposed to get a second season, and well..

For context: Shenmue has gone through a series of rough development, cancellation of game(s), a mess of a Kickstarter with Deep Silver and Epic Games Store fiasco, backers not getting DLC, the anime re-casting Ryo for reasons not made clear (to the disappointment of the voice actor himself), and now a second season that reportedly was going to happen isn't anymore.

For the record, this seems less due to Warner Bros. Discovery and more due to the situation with Crunchyroll and Sony at the moment. Since Sony/FUNimation bought out Crunchyroll and absorbed FUNimation into Crunchyroll, Sony has not been offering or extending deals/partnerships with outside parties (for the most part) and the situation also goes beyond just that (with not paying their staff well, fighting against allowing unionized dubs of their shows, etc.). Adult Swim reportedly from comments DeMarco has made over the course of the years, has not been able to license any deals from them since this occurred.

That said, Shenmue just feels like an everlasting cursed IP.

honestly i was surprised we even got a Shenmue Anime at all- i love Shenmue (games and the show) so sad to see no season 2 or Shenmue 4

Wonder if the English dubs will show up on Crunchyroll now... hilarious given territories like Australia don't have Adult Swim etc... and yet we have every language but English for these shows (happy watching subs but some ppl i watch shows with can't read subs quickly enough and would like this show so would be nice to have in English) - could see Netflix picking up the Blade Runner (since they already do GITS with the studio and producers)/Shenmue anime since they like IP driven stuff potentially if Crunchyroll shop around a S2 etc... but probably not

Really disappointed to see this, as I was hoping the anime series would be the route to finish the story. I played 3 and had a decent time with it, but the plot barely progressed and it was clear that the reception and sales of it weren’t going to lead to a 4th game. At least we have the HD collection so I can play those first 2 games on modern platforms.

Give us Shenmue I & II on Switch and I'll be happy.

knowing Deep Silver, i have zero doubts they'll eventually give Suzuki the funding to make a fourth game.
this is the same company that kept Dead Island 2 floating around for over 8 years before eventually finishing it.

Back
Top Bottom