• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Select a base roster of 20 or so fighters for a Shonen Jump Fighter

Sander RX

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He, Him
This can either be for a Smash clone or a Capcom Versus game (no Capcom character in that case tho) or an ArcSys fighter or anything else cool, really.

Rules to make this a bit harder

• Max 2 reps per franchise in the base roster
  • You need to give representation to stuff currently big in Jump. After all, you're imagining yourself in the dev's shoes
  • This might be a shonen jump game, but you need to at least a somewhat considerable representation in female characters. Let's say we need around 1/4 to be female
  • The roster needs to be around 20, not strictly 20, you can go a bit above or below that.
  • You can include ONE free or "free" ( as in, available for no additional cost if you bought the game before a certain date, like Piranha Plant). This can be used to circumvent the rule number one and add a third character per franchise exactly once, if you wish to do so.
  • You are not forced to include the main character, unless their omission is too unbelievable (like not having Goku or Luffy).
  • Anything published under anything with "Jump" in its name is fair game, including Jump Plus.
Here's my attempt
  1. Goku - Dragon Ball
  2. Vegeta - Dragon Ball
  3. Luffy - One Piece
  4. Yamato - One Piece*
  5. Naruto - Naruto
  6. Sasuke (Boruto ver.) - Naruto
  7. Ichigo - Bleach
  8. Killua - Hunter x Hunter
  9. Jolyne - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  10. Dio - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  11. Deku - My Hero Academia
  12. Denji - Chainsaw Man
  13. Makima - Chainsaw Man
  14. Tanjiro - Demon Slayer
  15. Nezuko - Demon Slayer
  16. Loid & Yor - Spy x Family **
  17. Yuji - Jujutsu Kaisen
  18. Gojo - Jujutsu Kaisen
  19. Kenshiro - Fist of the North Star
  20. Kagura - Gintama
  21. Noelle - Black Clover

Bonus:

22. Nobara - Jujutsu Kaisen

* I count Yamato as a man fyi. Until stated otherwise by the character himself, I will continue thinking of Yamato in accordance to the gender identity stated by him so far. I'm making note of this here, because I don't want someone to think that I included biologically female Yamato over more "obvious" choices because of my "try to include more female characters" stipulation and thus count him as a woman.

** This roster was imagined for a Smash clone, so the Forger couple would function sorta like Pyra and Mythra/ Pokemon Trainer with a swap out down B. You can have Anya in the background like the Pokemon trainer. Read Spy x Family.

P.S. My first ever crosspost thread.

Updated crosspost from the other other place.

I tried to have a good mix of old-school and new series and went with female characters wherever it made sense.

Ryotsu (KochiKame)
Kinnikuman (Kinnikuman)
Arale (Dr. Slump)
Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Goku (Dragon Ball)
Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
Phoenix Ikki (Saint Seiya) - Most popular Saint.
Jotaro (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh)

Luffy (One Piece)
Killua (Hunter x Hunter) - Takes Gon's spot for popularity and story reasons.
Naruto (Naruto)
Rukia (Bleach) - Female, more popular than Ichigo.
Gintoki (Gintama)
Bakugo (My Hero Academia) - More popular than Deku. His character is also more likely to want to enter a fighting tournament.
Noelle (Black Clover) - Female, more popular than Asta.
Tanjiro with Nezuko in a box (Demon Slayer)
Makima (Chainsaw Man) - Female, more popular than Denji.
Yuji (Jujutsu Kaisen)

Yor (Spy x Family)

If the Act-Age guy didn't turn out to be such a gross dude, Yonagi would have been such an easy pick. Alas.

Guest characters from Shueisha's parent company:
Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
Ranma (Ranma 1/2)

Last edited:
Updated crosspost from the other other place.

I tried to have a good mix of old-school and new series and went with female characters wherever it made sense.

Ryotsu (KochiKame)
Kinnikuman (Kinnikuman)
Arale (Dr. Slump)
Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Goku (Dragon Ball)
Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
Phoenix Ikki (Saint Seiya) - Most popular Saint.
Jotaro (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh)

Luffy (One Piece)
Killua (Hunter x Hunter) - Takes Gon's spot for popularity and story reasons.
Naruto (Naruto)
Rukia (Bleach) - Female, more popular than Ichigo.
Gintoki (Gintama)
Bakugo (My Hero Academia) - More popular than Deku. His character is also more likely to want to enter a fighting tournament.
Noelle (Black Clover) - Female, more popular than Asta.
Tanjiro with Nezuko in a box (Demon Slayer)
Makima (Chainsaw Man) - Female, more popular than Denji.
Yuji (Jujutsu Kaisen)

Yor (Spy x Family)

If the Act-Age guy didn't turn out to be a gross dude, Yonagi would have been such an easy pick. Alas.

Guest characters from Shueisha's parent company:
Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
I like this list

Also those guest characters… would it be the only fighting game to feature Lum?

I haven't read/seen some of the current series from Jump, so I might leave out some big candidates, but here's my attempt:

1. Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
2. Frieza (Dragon Ball)
3. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
4. Kaido (One Piece)
5. Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto)
6. Otsutsuki Kaguya (Naruto)
7. Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach)
8. Gon Freecss (Hunter x Hunter)
9. Killua Zoldyck (Hunter x Hunter)
10. Urameshi Yuusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)
11. Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
12. Midoriya "Deku" Izuku (Boku no Hero Academia)
13. Bakugou "Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight" Katsuki (Boku no Hero Academia)
14. Kamado Tanjirou (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
15. Kamado Nezuko (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
16. Anya Forger (Spy x Family)*
17. Emma (Promised Neverland) **
18. Kujo Jotaro (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
19. Jolyne Cujoh (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
20. Black Clover rep
21. Jujutsu Kaisen rep
22. Mashle rep
23. Kaijuu #8 rep

Honorable mentions:
Grimm (Red Hood) - she doesn't make the cut since Red Hood isn't doing well in Jump magazines, people think it's only a matter of time before it gets cancelled. I have been enjoying it though and would have her in, even Velou is fine.

Yozakura Family, Undead Unluck, Witch Watch, Sakamoto Days rep - I heard these series are doing pretty well or at least decently. Shueisha would like to promote them in a game I'd guess.

Sousei no Onmyouji, Owari no Seraph - I heard some good things about these series, but they're not so recent anymore I think.

Saitama (One-Punch Man) - I don't think he'd work in a "serious" fighting game. Perhaps if he make him part of a moveset where he always deals the final blow or something. But that wouldn't be very fun imo.

Kaneki Ken and Kirishima Touka (Tokyo Ghoul) - I'd put either both of them in it or none at all, but I'm already at 23 slots without them.

I also realise the amount of female reps is lacking here. I had more, but had to cut them to give some room to other series and I had too many characters already. I had these for example:
Kagura (Gintama)
Inoue Orihime (Bleach)
Grimm (Red Hood)
Kirishima Touka (Tokyo Ghoul)
Demon Queen (Promised Neverland)

And yeah, no Sasuke because he sucks.

* With Twilight and Yor in her moveset.
** With Ray and Norman in her moveset.

Back
Top Bottom