• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Seinfeld: George has a Super Nintendo, but what does he play?

SlipperyFishes

Hey
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
Watching Seinfeld now that it’s on Netflix, and Super Nintendo is one of the product placements that pops up once in a while. In The Secret Code (S07E07) George has the console plugged in, but there are no games visible.

Knowing George to be a somewhat neurotic version of Larry David, what games would fit with George’s interests?

I’m going to think this over before committing to a game but let’s hear what you think Fami!

"George, they call it a Super Nintendo, but what's super about it?"
"The guy at the store just told me it was better than before,"
"So now the old Nintendo is just Weak Nintendo,"
"And each of the games are bigger and better in every way!"
"So now you have to buy all these games again-"
"-but now they're Super."
"Riiight..."

*Kramer bursts in*

"Guys, guess what I got,"
"A Super Television? Everything's got Super in the name now to make it sound better."
"A S-super? No no...I got a Genesis! Genesis does what Nintendon't right?"

[he'd probably bay Baseball Simulator and some sports games. With his Frogger score, he'd probably want a couple arcade titles, too.]

"George, they call it a Super Nintendo, but what's super about it?"
"The guy at the store just told me it was better than before,"
"So now the old Nintendo is just Weak Nintendo,"
"And each of the games are bigger and better in every way!"
"So now you have to buy all these games again-"
"-but now they're Super."
"Riiight..."

*Kramer bursts in*

"Guys, guess what I got,"
"A Super Television? Everything's got Super in the name now to make it sound better."
"A S-super? No no...I got a Genesis! Genesis does what Nintendon't right?"

[he'd probably bay Baseball Simulator and some sports games. With his Frogger score, he'd probably want a couple arcade titles, too.]
This is perfection.

Also had a Virtual Boy (Behind George):

virtual-boy-seinfeld-2.original.jpg

Chessmaster would make for a great diegetic moment.

The Seinfeld bass (or at least something that sounds very similar) is a default instrument on the SNES's audio chip. Here's another song that prominently features it.

It even showed up in Mega Man X, as noted by future Undertale creator Toby Fox.

Meh. What I really want to know is what Bizarro George would play.

Chessmaster would make for a great diegetic moment.

The Seinfeld bass (or at least something that sounds very similar) is a default instrument on the SNES's audio chip. Here's another song that prominently features it.

It even showed up in Mega Man X, as noted by future Undertale creator Toby Fox.

Now that you bring that up, Jeremy Parish brought that up in his Paperboy 2 review, and really leaned into that fact.

As everyone knows, sitcoms are a shared universe perpetually stuck to their own decade. Particularly within their own network, though cross-network connections often exist as well. So to guess what games George has, we must first determine what games actually exist in the 90's NBC Sitcom world. Unfortunately, the only Seinfeld episode I can recall with clear shots of several 16-bit console games only features Genesis ones. However...

DSWhdSbVwAAd_7W

Given George's love of action movies (Prognosis Negative, The Chunnel, etc) the first thing that came to mind was Wild Guns:

He could play it with Jerry, too!

The Gamecube launch party made canon that George Constanza is a Metroid fan, and Saul Goodman a Smash Bros fan.

I could totally see Jerry enjoying building a neat, orderly SimCity.

“What’s the deal with SimCity? I build a city and suddenly buildings pop up from the ground. Where are the people coming from? All roads end up to my city and nothing else. Do they just get born instantaneously and die whenever a building disappears?”

George would definitely complain about Mario Kart

George

“ I was first place playing green Mario when that oversized Ape threw a banana peel in front of me. I lost and came third place because of him!”

Jerry

“ So what? Just toss it back at him next time he throws a banana peel at you?”

George

“ IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY JERRY, GREEN MARIO WILL SPIN AROUND IF I TOUCH IT”

Jerry

“Drive around it?”

George

“AND LOOSE FIRST PLACE? I THINK NOT!”

*Kramer bursts in *

“Are you guys playing Mario Kart? I know this guy that has worked on the game. He says he has a cheat code so we need to pay him to get access to it!”

George

“THAT’S IT I’M GETTING THAT CHEAT CODE SO THAT MONKEY LOSES!”

Jerry

“Ape”

George

😡

For some reason, I feel there’s be an episode debating Mortal Kombat, and Street Combat.

That George misheard that everyone was playing Mortal Kombat, and instead picked up a copy of Street Combat.

And just for the record, I did play Street Combat as a kid.

As everyone knows, sitcoms are a shared universe perpetually stuck to their own decade. Particularly within their own network, though cross-network connections often exist as well. So to guess what games George has, we must first determine what games actually exist in the 90's NBC Sitcom world. Unfortunately, the only Seinfeld episode I can recall with clear shots of several 16-bit console games only features Genesis ones. However...

DSWhdSbVwAAd_7W
I need more of this constant. Give me all the sitcom game product placements. Good to know Frasier is loyal to his city.

He would play Lester the Unlikely and hate it, but his current girlfriend sees him playing and says the main character looks like a loser who could never accomplish anything. George takes that personally because he looks like him, so he says he's gonna beat the game and prove him and Lester aren't losers.

Of course the game is extremely hard and frustrating, and he would gradually get obsessed and torture himself towards beating the game, dedicating all his time to it and losing his current girlfriend and current job in the process, while getting more and more angry by how awful and hard the game is.

In the same episode, Elaine would be dating a guy who's really sweet and kind but turns into a raging foul mouthed bigot when playing on his gaming console, which makes her uncomfortable but very conflicted because he's otherwise the perfect man and the sex is amazing. Kramer and Newman would get Jerry into a scheme of investing in a batch of 5000 copies of Mario is Missing because they heard Mario is all the rage right now and they can make good profit from it, but of course no one is interested in the game and they can't sell it to anyone, so Jerry ends up donating the cartridges to an orphanage where the kids get very upset because they hate the game and want to play the real Mario, and the news that Jerry is disturbing an orphanage get all the way to Florida to Jerry's parents.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom