• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

Seeing game devs be so elated and grateful for being featured in Sakurai's videos is really heartwarming.

Maybe this industry isn't a complete cesspool of hate and abuse.

That one is excellent, between Fata Morgana and 13 Sentinels a bunch of great but lesser known games were mentionned.

I love all of the videos Sakurai is doing, seeing his views on game development is a ton of fun, but this one really surprised me with all the different games that were featured. I know Sakurai has an encyclopedia-esque knowledge of videogames, but it's still so funny to see something like PowerWashing Simulator be featured on his channel.

OMG! Actual video footage of Dragon King!! That's insane! That means that he/Nintendo still have the original ROM floating around in their archives too!

Absolutely bonkers!

Not necessarily, it could be old video footage made during development and sitting in Sakurai's closet since then.
I wouldn’t count the possibility out, Nintendo has a crazy deep vault of software.

Man, I got so hyped seeing the Dragon King footage. Smash gameplay really is ingenious.

The prototype was cool but what happened to the other game?! I need answers.

The prototype was cool but what happened to the other game?! I need answers.
He says in the video it got canned because it would take too long to make compared to Smash/Dragon King and Hal needed an N64 game out fast.

Last edited:
I feel greatly vindicated that the great Sakurai feels the same way I do about fighting game combos. Hadn't realised the way Smash gets around them though.

He says in the video it got canned because it would take too long to make compared to Smash/Dragon King and Hal needed an N64 game out fast.
Oh I know but I imagine several prototypes get initially canned and resurface later. Sakurai seemed kinda excited about it, so it'd be interesting to know why it was never revisited.

That Dragon King footage is awesome. Seems like there was an opportunity to gang up on another character. Might've been a feature with the way the camera zoomed in.

Really cool video. Always thought learning combos in fighting games was really lame, so it was nice to hear him voice why he wanted to avoid that.

Seeing Dragon King footage feels surreal! Also, really interested to see if he'll dive into the development of Kirby Air Ride for the N64 when we eventually get its dedicated video (his brief mention got me curious);

And by the way.. I'm with Sakurai when comes to fighting games with long combos; Street Fighter and Smash are the perfect middle-ground, when combos are 5 hits max before you let it drop.. (well, unless you Kazuya, I suppose lol)

interesting choice for a video. though i had a bit of a different idea on what it would be about.
he briefly brings up text size in relation to accessibility, but doesn't go any further than that.

thankfully, there's always the Game Makers Toolkit videos on that subject. for designers who want to work with it in mind.

Font size is the reason why I am not buying Star Ocean 6. They definitely need to consider that when Localising from one language to another.

my first thought was the random cat photograph hidden in the Pokemon Stadium 2 stage, in brawl, wii u, and ultimate.
SSB4-WiiU_-_Pokemon_Stadium_2_Cat.png

there were rumours that it was Sakurai's own cat, but he eventually clarified that it wasn't.

I read in an INSIDEjp article that "The cat poster in the house in the ice stage of Pokémon Stadium 2 in Smash Bros. Brawl appears to be Sakurai's beloved cat." Is this true?
No, it's not true.

Now its time for Smash Bros Melee

Sakurai storyboarded the CGI opening trailer himself! And he used his holiday break to do so! He really puts his all into every game.

Nice as it sounds, nobody should use their holiday to do work of any sort. That's the kind of toxic work culture that leads to people burning themselves out and suffering for it.

Sakurai is a workaholic, and that's not new. Melee was him at his worst, and I'm glad he kiiiiinda glossed over that detail too lol

I'm curious to see the Air Ride video though! If he'll bring up the N64 version or something.

I was expecting more juicy details about Melee or a mention about wavedashing, but it wasn't meant to be.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say no to a Kid Icarus: Uprising Switch port.

I've already put in an ungodly amount of hours into that game. I wrecked my hands to finish those 9.0 difficulty missions and I'm not sure I can do it again, but gods help me I will try.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say no to a Kid Icarus: Uprising Switch port.

I've already put in an ungodly amount of hours into that game. I wrecked my hands to finish those 9.0 difficulty missions and I'm not sure I can do it again, but gods help me I will try.

Hey, you gotta see it positive, you're not going to wreck your hands in a possible Switch ports, but your ellbows and shoulder joints from the gyro controls! :D

I want a Kid Icarus Uprising port not so much to play it again, but just so it - and the amazing cast of characters Sakurai and his team created - get another chance. The re-imagining of the series and it's characters that Uprising brought about is just waaaay too good to be left languishing with one game.

If it weren't stuck on the 3DS with the bonkers control scheme people would be considering it an all time great game, and proof Sakurai is much, MUCH more than Mr Smash Bros

but your ellbows and shoulder joints from the gyro controls!
You're right, there's still body parts I can sacrifice!

Having now watched the full video, well, I definitely think that more games should copy the risk-reward system of the Fiend's Cauldron. Off the top of my head, there's also The World Ends With You, which lets you freely adjust your levels to increase drop rates. But that's about it.

I also liked that he admitted his implementation wasn't perfect. I definitely agree that most players wouldn't know easy mode was below Intensity 2.0. And attempting higher difficulty runs would be less frustrating if you could respawn close to where you died.

Really don't like the Fiend's Cauldron or the equivalent in Smash games. I understand why he did it, but something about setting your own difficulty like that just makes it all seem worthless to me. Through all the old videos when he talked about risk vs reward I thought of how much I disliked this mechanic lol

Really don't like the Fiend's Cauldron or the equivalent in Smash games. I understand why he did it, but something about setting your own difficulty like that just makes it all seem worthless to me. Through all the old videos when he talked about risk vs reward I thought of how much I disliked this mechanic lol
It's certainly his opinion and he clearly stated as such. Heck, he even said in the video it should be just an accessibility option lol.

It only really matters if you want to challenge yourself. It's better implemented (IMO) in Uprising since playing at higher difficulties gives you better rewards so, for example, you can play a chapter at 8.0 to farm better weapons before going for 9.0.

I also think Sakurai kinda downplayed how much replayability a feature like this adds for people that aim for the highest challenge. I think the rewards really turn it into a very satisfying loop.

Back
Top Bottom