News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

blondkayvon

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
he/him 🏳️‍🌈
Finally got around to watching these videos, binged them all last night. This is so cool, I love getting to see a peak behind the curtain! The presentation is absolutely top notch, too.

N75

Moblin
Looks like the Kirby's Adventure video will be out tomorrow, or later today depending on the timezone.

Earthbounder

Boing!
Pronouns
He/Him
This video left me stunned.

Under the amount of pressure the team was in, most would have produced an awful dud or at least something that felt unfinished. Sakurai and those under him were working in very tight time constraints and made freaking Kirby's Adventure. Absolutely incredible.

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
I appreciate that, for everything he says about his view of how an RPG works, he ends on saying "So don't let existing conventions limit how you design your push and pull!" Sticking to just existing conventions, pulling just from existing games, leads to stagnant games. Genres can be broad! Embrace that!

Aether

Bob-omb
Till now nothing really new to me, but never the less an interesting series.
I would like it alittle beefier and a little more in details, but oh well.

My main problem is, since its in japanese with subtitles, its less of a side thing, and i dont watch them till way later or i forget.
I feel like for longer videos it would be easier, since the comitment would be more clear to me.

I honestly hope he breaks his composure. Hes way to good to play games with his audience, just showing"i aware", but not directly talking about stuff.

ermitron2

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
The recently one is really good an interesing regarding showing the gameplay first, even in games with a heavier story like RPGs. It's actually what made me lost interest in the trails of the sky series as it's been twice (even with turbo mode) where I'm like "ok, when does the game actually starts???"

Christo750

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him/His
The recently one is really good an interesing regarding showing the gameplay first, even in games with a heavier story like RPGs. It's actually what made me lost interest in the trails of the sky series as it's been twice (even with turbo mode) where I'm like "ok, when does the game actually starts???"

This was the video I was hoping he’d make. Hopefully people react to this in a revealing way.

meatbag

Paratroopa
Sakurai speaks truth. I don’t really like games that take more than ten minutes before you get to the game part. Serve us a slice of gameplay first, then continue the story.

I’m also not fond of “story trailers”, because what I want to see is how a game will play.

Aggrocrog

Shriekbat
Pronouns
he/him
This is besides the point, but I didn't realize he has separate Japanese and English language youtube channels. The amount of extra work that goes into making that possible is impressive and very appreciated. An animator from the Nickelodeon Brawl game commented on the animation video to say that they had a similar process for making characters.

Dcubed

Bob-omb
Good video, and he’s absolutely spot on.

I have no time to waste on games that aren’t interested in giving me meaningful gameplay. The Yakuza games are a prime offender in this category; no joke, it takes more than 45 minutes to go from starting a new file in Yakuza 6 before you even get to move your character!! That game got promptly deleted before I could even stomach starting it.

Games are an interactive medium. If you’re not going to prioritise interactivity? Go make a movie instead.

Gameplay is king, and if you can‘t enthral me in those first 5-10 minutes? I’m not giving you a second chance. I’ve got far too many other great games that are actually worth playing to bother with your slop.

This is besides the point, but I didn't realize he has separate Japanese and English language youtube channels. The amount of extra work that goes into making that possible is impressive and very appreciated. An animator from the Nickelodeon Brawl game commented on the animation video to say that they had a similar process for making characters.
Considering he did JP & Eng broadcasts for any Smash reveal it’s not unreasonable for him. It may be worked into his routine at this point.

Dcubed

Bob-omb
Sakurai seems to really like Persona 5 and Xenoblade 1, that's twice he's used both as examples in his videos.
I do find it interesting that Sakurai consistently uses footage from the original Wii version of Xenoblade 1 and not the Switch remaster (despite typically using footage from HD remasters of other games where applicable).

zumaddy

Like Like
Pronouns
She
I do find it interesting that Sakurai consistently uses footage from the original Wii version of Xenoblade 1 and not the Switch remaster (despite typically using footage from HD remasters of other games where applicable).
Dunban was sexier in the original so I'm assuming that's why Sakurai prefers that version

Top Bottom