• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

He regularly talks about health problems stemming from development pressures, so it's been a fair assumption that he would make like Matsuno and take an extended or permanent break from development at some point.
Yeah I see that. And I think it is likely that he‘d have a less active role in the next Smash Bros and his next project maybe is a bit smaller in scope. Still I think I never got the impression from him that he wants to retire soon.

This is really cool, Sakurai is one of the best directors/designers out there IMO.

Video about hitstop was nice, I liked how he showed how it'd improve those older shooters, really made his point clear there.

Wow, this comes at a great time! I've been chopping away at my own game for years now bit by bit without anything substantial really forming, maybe Sakurai can help me take things more seriously.

Yeah I see that. And I think it is likely that he‘d have a less active role in the next Smash Bros and his next project maybe is a bit smaller in scope. Still I think I never got the impression from him that he wants to retire soon.
I think most people expect Sakurai to want to continue. There has been an open question abut whether or not his physical health allows him to. Sakurai won't have a smaller role in the next Smash - either he'll have the same role, or no role. He's almost biologically incapable of doing otherwise.

O yea, I'm down for this 👀

Couple thoughts off the bat:

- Man he surged past 100k subscribers quik 🔥

- I wonder if he also takes a deep dive into the thought process behind design decisions that ultimately don't work out, for example the "stumble" mechanic in Smash Bros Brawl

- That Feeling When Nintendo Legal Dept copyright strikes his Youtube videos :LOL:

O yea, I'm down for this 👀

Couple thoughts off the bat:

- Man he surged past 100k subscribers quik 🔥

- I wonder if he also takes a deep dive into the thought process behind design decisions that ultimately don't work out, for example the "stumble" mechanic in Smash Bros Brawl
It looks like his plan here is to stay conceptual, rather than deep dive on anything. All 5 minute videos.

- That Feeling When Nintendo Legal Dept copyright strikes his Youtube videos :LOL:
He says he's run everything by nintendo, but is worried about non-Nintendo rights holders

I find it weird that he didn’t include nightmare in dreamland
Sakurai's the "chief director" of the game, but he wasn't the "director" - that would be Shinichi Shimomura. He probably took a more production heavy role than that of a director or a designer.

I don't think this is him pulling away from development, I think this is his replacement to writing the Famitsu column he ended last year.

Which makes sense, a lot of people outside Japan know who he is, now he can broadcast more widely in a more contemporary way.

Never had a chance to play Meteos, Switch port when? Looks right up my alley.
Woo Meteos was the full package.

Tons of single-player content, would get really fast and frantic, all wrapped up in now-signature Sakurai presentation and flair. Replayable in spades and super fun in 2-4 player multi.

It's easy to see his "game directorship dna" across otherwise disparate genres with Smash, Meteos, and Kid Icarus.

With him, it's a weird conflicted feeling btwn loving and appreciating his work shaping the Smash series and pleasing millions of players ... While also pining for him to try his hand in other series and genres.

Because it's like:

• 2d platformer ... Nailed it
  • party fighting game .... Nailed (Smashed) it
  • Unique puzzle game ... Nailed it
  • Third person adventure/shooter ... Nailed it (depending on hand dexterity and stamina!)

What else can this man achieve?

A Starfox game from him? Or, in light of the NSO N64 update, what if he was like "I'm gonna make Waverace cool again".

Of course a new IP from Sakurai would light gaming internet on fire. What would a Sakurai FPS be like? Or a Sakurai tactical-espionage game (I've had Metal gear on the brain recently). Would I buy a Sakurai-directed visual novel? YES.

Dannnng, the possibilities with this dude 🤯

Mr. Sakurai Present Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games by Masahiro Sakura, a Masahiro Sakurai Production.
Felt the urge to toss in a

*Featuring Sakurai of the Super Smash Brothers Series

But speaking of, man a 3d character action game ala Sakurai would be 🔥🔥

unknown.png

Woo Meteos was the full package.

Tons of single-player content, would get really fast and frantic, all wrapped up in now-signature Sakurai presentation and flair. Replayable in spades and super fun in 2-4 player multi.

It's easy to see his "game directorship dna" across otherwise disparate genres with Smash, Meteos, and Kid Icarus.

With him, it's a weird conflicted feeling btwn loving and appreciating his work shaping the Smash series and pleasing millions of players ... While also pining for him to try his hand in other series and genres.

Because it's like:

• 2d platformer ... Nailed it
  • party fighting game .... Nailed (Smashed) it
  • Unique puzzle game ... Nailed it
  • Third person adventure/shooter ... Nailed it (depending on hand dexterity and stamina!)

What else can this man achieve?

A Starfox game from him? Or, in light of the NSO N64 update, what if he was like "I'm gonna make Waverace cool again".

Of course a new IP from Sakurai would light gaming internet on fire. What would a Sakurai FPS be like? Or a Sakurai tactical-espionage game (I've had Metal gear on the brain recently). Would I buy a Sakurai-directed visual novel? YES.

Dannnng, the possibilities with this dude 🤯
This post is Kirby Air Ride erasure and I won’t stand for it!! =p Sakurai also absolutely nailed…whatever you would categorize Kirby Air Ride as (I wouldn’t really call it just a racing game, especially when the best mode in the game was only somewhat racing related, lol) and it’s got that distinct Sakurai™ feel as well.

I honestly don’t care what he does next, because I know whatever it is it’ll be amazing, lol. …Though I am gonna want another Smash from him eventually.

Man, this channel is already amazing, I hope he interviews other devs or deep into games not made by him.
Agreed. I know he stated that he wants to keep the channel focused on "short, digestible chunks" focused around some gameplay principle, but in that case I would love to see him branch out into a second channel that kind of becomes an expanded video version of his famitsu articles.

Mixed in with your idea, kind of like a "Sakurai Asks" where he talks to developers from games he was involved with or admires for some reason.

Admittedly, given how his goal is to keep his content ad-free, that would start to get expensive if he continues the level of editing and translation in this current series of videos!

Still blows my mind to think Sakurai was 19 making Kirby's Dream Land. Just a completely different industry versus now, a real wild west at the time.

these are great, I'm gonna lose my mind when he does a Meteos video
Air Ride and Meteos (and also KI:U) are his masterpieces imo and I hope he gets the chance to do something super original again next

does anyone happen to know what the side scrolling tank game is in the hit-stop video? it'd be nice if the game names were on-screen

Next episode will be about Kirby's Adventure, that'll be neat as that game introduced copy abilities.

Sakurai is a treasure! Didn't had the time to comment before, but I think he's the one of the most genuine figures on the whole industry! Doing this for pure passion, not even intending to monetize the whole thing.. he doesn't even NEED to do this to have his legacy kept (I'm sure all those years of Famitsu articles plus the dozens Smash presentations, has most of the topics he will talk in the channel); But it's just the principle of doing this for younger devs.. it's incredible!

I love the presentation style of his videos. Even when he's saying things we already know, it's still a fun watch. This channel is cool.

“You can't be a chef if you can't discern taste"
Spiciest zinger in that video, I laughed audibly at that one.

Also very cool that he’s also planning to talk about more general design principles which I imagine is better for the more casual audience who probably got confused with framerates and hitstun.

Eh, the subject wasn't about how online adds lag on the game, it was mostly about built-in lag and TV interference..

Smash always was a pretty good feeling game to control; even Brawl with its slugsh physics are better than many games

Eh, the subject wasn't about how online adds lag on the game, it was mostly about built-in lag and TV interference..

Smash always was a pretty good feeling game to control; even Brawl with its slugsh physics are better than many games
Ultimate has the highest amount of inherent input lag of any Smash Bros before, even before getting to what the TV and internet adds

As soon as I watched the lag video I came here lol.

Ultimate feels pretty good to me but I’m aware the input lag is a problem for some people.

Weird,.. I never felt any lag on Ultimate, in fact, had no issue transitioning from Smash4, and felt like it was even snapier and satisfying due the game's overall speed.

But if that's a change between games, probably it was made within a reason.

he did not explicitly talk about that, it would be to much for that one video, but lag in game design can have benefits, like knowing what the next input will be and acting with that in mind. with more complex games where theres a lot of inputs and combinations, you sometimes can discern what the user did enter and what he wanted. While hardcore gamers may disslike that (get good), it helps make the gameplay more aproachable for a broader audience, helps compensate for worn controllers, etc.
i dont know what exactly is happening in ultimate tho

Back
Top Bottom