• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

while he doesn't explain the full backstory, Sakurai brings up an interesting tidbit about how Street Fighter 2 handled sprite flipping by ensuring each character was perfectly symmetrical. noting how Dee Jay's pants are labeled with the word "MAXIMUM" due to it looking the same when rotated.
his character designer, James Goddard, notably explained in an interview that his original design featured the word "MANTIS". which was changed as the N and S would appear flipped whenever he turned around.

And the Maxim Tomato has a similar origin.
Kinda makes me think that "Super Smash Bros. Maximum" wouldn't be a bad title for the next Smash, if they were to keep building on Ultimate.

And the Maxim Tomato has a similar origin.
Kinda makes me think that "Super Smash Bros. Maximum" wouldn't be a bad title for the next Smash, if they were to keep building on Ultimate.
But how‘d you name beyond Maximum? Maximum Deluxe? Ultimum? Fanatikum?/s

while he doesn't explain the full backstory, Sakurai brings up an interesting tidbit about how Street Fighter 2 handled sprite flipping by ensuring each character was perfectly symmetrical. noting how Dee Jay's pants are labeled with the word "MAXIMUM" due to it looking the same when rotated.
his character designer, James Goddard, notably explained in an interview that his original design featured the word "MANTIS". which was changed as the N and S would appear flipped whenever he turned around.
The limitations of that time is also why Gill looks like that in Street Fighter 3, to show their arcade board could actually flip the character unlike before

Nintendo has previously shared sprite concepts drawn using graph paper quite a few times before, the 2006 Nintendo Company guide notably had a few made all the way back during the development of Donkey Kong.
FCODyfZXIAI_DRO.jpg:orig

FCOD2EVWQAAeuOb.jpg:orig

i believe they fairly quickly got actual graphics editing software, though. the internal CAD-TOOL (running on the Sony NEWS workstation) was one of them.

Sakurai talks about random elements, and how they toned down some of it throughout the years while keeping it in others.
This reminds me when tripping in Brawl caused a backlash

I know he already said the channel ending this year, but it feels like he’s close to wrapping things up.

Last edited:
the note about not being able to directly show much footage of the debug menu is pretty amusing, considering Super Smash Bros Melee's debug menu is probably one of the most recognizable examples.
SSBM_Master_Debug_Menu.png

i don't have info on the exact date, but it seems likely to have been one of the earliest "cheats" discovered on devices like the Action Replay.

Back
Top Bottom