• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

After 80.5 hours, my Trails To Azure replay is over! I’ve been writing up my thoughts over in the ST as I went so I’ll spare repeating too much, but short version I loved it. Like the official version of Zero, all of the extra voice acting really elevates the story and emotion which is great because despite a few of the lowest lows in the series, it’s probably the best game in the series with general excellence and some of the highest highs. I don’t know if it unseats Sky FC and SC for my favorites, but darn it’s very close. The amazing characters and story is backed up by the weight of the four prior games and leverages their world building expertly. Despite all of the drama, it still has the super cozy vibe of the first four games that I love. I also really dig the battle and character growth systems that’s more in depth than the Sky games, but doesn’t become too bloated like a few of the Cold Steel games (namely CS3, which is still my favorite CS otherwise) though Team Rush triggers a bit too frequently lol.

I mentioned in my final post in the ST, but there’s a lot of Trails ahead for me in the near future I’m excited about. The Trails of Cold Steel anime’s English dub concludes this week, I have a 1,000 piece Azure puzzle I still have to start, and then in three months Trails Into Reverie comes out which is going to be awesome! I officially put in to do the ST for Reverie so that’s going to be fun!

But yeah more immediately, I’m going to be returning to both Bayonetta Origins and Like A Dragon Ishin. The latter I might post about here if I haven’t already yet as it is the most RPG heavy of the LAD/Yakuza games that isn’t Yakuza 7 from what I’ve played. When those are done, I’m returning to my final Wii U VC games project with Golden Sun which I’m 100% going to be talking about here. I actually did briefly start it and reached the world map and I’m intrigued so far. But yeah more to say when I get back to it.

I had a long drive today so I was thinking about RPGs (as one does), specifically about how super-long RPGs have the almost-unique ability to give you a certain nostalgia and fondness for themselves while you’re still playing them, weird as that sounds.

Let me explain a bit better: I know 100+ hour RPGs aren’t for everyone, but something they do better than almost anything else I can think of is let the player reflect on the long journey they’ve taken and remember fondly back to earlier parts of the game. For example: You’re near the end of Xenoblade Chronicles and you end up going back to some of the areas you last explored when you were only 5-10 hours into the game like Colony 9 or Tephra Cave, and the memories and feelings just rush back to you - you remember how far you’ve come, how grand a journey you’ve been on with these characters, and how small and simple things were back then at the beginning. Maybe you even have a touch of nostalgia for it, already. Same thing goes for games like Persona 5, when you’re wandering around Yongen-Jaya and saying goodbye to all the NPCs and characters you’ve spent the entire 120 hour game with, or Trails of Cold Steel/Zero/Sky/etc. when you get to the point that your little ragtag band of characters are now big important players in the world, and even the super-powerful big names know about them and even have to show them respect.

There’s a certain sense of reflection and remembrance that goes with this that I think is very rare in games. Not that other games can’t or don’t do similar things, but IMO nothing hits quite as hard or the same as when a 100+ hour game does it and you’ve been playing it for weeks if not months or more to go from the beginning to the end.
They're not quite the same but two thoughts with this:

One, I think this is why the Kanto post-game reveal in Pokemon Gold & Silver is such a huge payoff. It's not just that they somehow crammed an entire second region into the game, but if you played the first game you're going all the way back to your previous stomping grounds to see what's new and discover there's some unfinished business to attend to.

Two, your mention about "let the player reflect on the long journey they’ve taken and remember fondly back to earlier parts of the game" reminds me a lot of Mother 2 / Earthbound's hot drink break sequences which are roughly placed at the 1/3rd and 2/3rd marks in the story:

One, I think this is why the Kanto post-game reveal in Pokemon Gold & Silver is such a huge payoff. It's not just that they somehow crammed an entire second region into the game, but if you played the first game you're going all the way back to your previous stomping grounds to see what's new and discover there's some unfinished business to attend to
This is what impressed me in Ryza 3. They begin with "hey , remember all the shit we did when we were stupid kids in our first adventure?" and then the first area of the game is the entire map of Ryza 1, and you have multiple events when you are exploring towards the new area, but also they let the players go explore to hit that note "oh yeah, this is where you fought this boss" "so this is how the cave is connected in an open world"

This is what impressed me in Ryza 3. They begin with "hey , remember all the shit we did when we were stupid kids in our first adventure?" and then the first area of the game is the entire map of Ryza 1, and you have multiple events when you are exploring towards the new area, but also they let the players go explore to hit that note "oh yeah, this is where you fought this boss" "so this is how the cave is connected in an open world"
That’s pretty cool! I’m also now reminded of Dragon Quest III’s big twist where you travel back to the first game but years into the past…

(Which wouldn’t surprise me if that was part of the inspiration for Gold/Silver’s post game)

That’s pretty cool! I’m also now reminded of Dragon Quest III’s big twist where you travel back to the first game but years into the past…

(Which wouldn’t surprise me if that was part of the inspiration for Gold/Silver’s post game)
Yeah it's something like that, but they do it the other way around, as if they are tauntint the player. Becasue it goes from a familiar map (if you played 1) to a new area that appear. And that one is big and you can explore more, but then Gust goes "you think that's it,? YOU ARE WRONG, we going around the world baby!" and then sent you to a different area, completely new and just as big as the first one.

They're not quite the same but two thoughts with this:

One, I think this is why the Kanto post-game reveal in Pokemon Gold & Silver is such a huge payoff. It's not just that they somehow crammed an entire second region into the game, but if you played the first game you're going all the way back to your previous stomping grounds to see what's new and discover there's some unfinished business to attend to.

Two, your mention about "let the player reflect on the long journey they’ve taken and remember fondly back to earlier parts of the game" reminds me a lot of Mother 2 / Earthbound's hot drink break sequences which are roughly placed at the 1/3rd and 2/3rd marks in the story:

That's a really good point about Gold & Silver that I hadn't even thought about but you're totally right. I missed the boat on that one since I got into the games late (even though I was still sort of in on Pokemania due to the TCG, some anime, and general osmosis). But I can only imagine being someone who played Pokemon Red on release, then a few years later playing Silver and then discovering the entire previous region was in the game at the end, and then on top of that running into Red at the top of Mt Silver. That would've been something truly special.

Does anyone know how to transfer save files for CS1 to CS2 on PC? I am getting errors and guides online mostly cover ps4.

Also I finished CS 1, might give impressions later.

EDIT: I worked it out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to transfer save files for CS1 to CS2 on PC? I am getting errors and guides online mostly cover ps4.

I don’t know the answer to your question sadly, but I hope you share some impressions later!

EDIT: I worked it out.
According to the steam forum :

When you go to start a New Game or New Game + on Cold Steel II, the game will automatically detect any Clear Save Data you might have from the first game. All you have to do then is select your Clear Save File.

19 days left to get those yeahs in, and 36 nominated rpgs so far! Thread is a great read if you’re looking for recommendations. Almost like it had a secondary purpose…

19 days left to get those yeahs in, and 36 nominated rpgs so far! Thread is a great read if you’re looking for recommendations. Almost like it had a secondary purpose…

I need to sit down and nominate some more games. Some big ones I’d like to see still like Xenoblade Chronicles and some smaller stuff too like Blue Reflection Second Light.

I need to sit down and nominate some more games. Some big ones I’d like to see still like Xenoblade Chronicles and some smaller stuff too like Blue Reflection Second Light.
There’s quite a few I’m surprised haven’t had a nomination yet! I’ll give it another bump later this week so later nominations get a chance to gather some yeahs. Front runners are on about 30 so far

I have finally finished all of FE Engage and I kinda want to play a turn-based JRPG right now.
The problem is that I don't have much free time lately (university is killing me...) and I want to finish the game before Zelda comes out (but this is not mandatory tbh, my sister will likely play the game too so I'll have some free time for another game at the same time of Zelda anyway).

This are my options, which one should I play and why?

1. (Finish) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Note: I started it last year. I love the gameplay but the game in general doesn't click with me a lot... I have done 3 dungeons. Should I give it another shot?)
2. Devil Survivor Overclocked (loved Record Breaker)
3. Radiant Historia (I don't know anything about this game, so I'll play completely blind)
4. The Alliance Alive (same as above)
5. Stella Glow (same as above)

There is also an extra option:
Play Trails from Zero on PC (I have it on Steam) and when I'm not able to play it, play something lighter (like a visual novel) on Switch.

I have finally finished all of FE Engage and I kinda want to play a turn-based JRPG right now.
The problem is that I don't have much free time lately (university is killing me...) and I want to finish the game before Zelda comes out (but this is not mandatory tbh, my sister will likely play the game too so I'll have some free time for another game at the same time of Zelda anyway).

1. (Finish) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Note: I started it last year. I love the gameplay but the game in general doesn't click with me a lot... I have done 3 dungeons. Should I give it another shot?)
3. Radiant Historia (I don't know anything about this game, so I'll play completely blind)

Play Trails from Zero on PC (I have it on Steam) and when I'm not able to play it, play something lighter (like a visual novel) on Switch.
Trails From Zero is my favorite option here, but from your five frontrunners I can speak to Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Radiant Historia. I like TMS#FE quite a bit, but if you are three dungeons in and not vibing with it, I’m not sure the rest of the game will change your mind. Radiant Historia is quite cool. Cool main character and a neat time travel / parallel world story. The combat is fairly simple but a lot of fun and fairly unique as you drag characters across a 3 x 3 grid to gather them up and hit them at once. It’s a bit of a slow start, but I really enjoyed it as I kept going. Maybe worth giving a try?

I recommend The Alliance Alive- it’s not a particularly long rpg given the relative size of its field areas, dungeons and towns. While it’s possible to dig deep into setting up guilds within it (that give the party passive bonuses if they are operating near one), its also not really something you have to spend much time on.
Radiant Historia is fantastic but the nature of its ‘jumping between timelines’ means a lot of backtracking, and the positional element of the random battles means it’s not a game that’s easy to zip through either.

I’ve also played a little TMS and need to get back to it.

Trails from Zero is on my ‘to play’ list.

According to the steam forum :

When you go to start a New Game or New Game + on Cold Steel II, the game will automatically detect any Clear Save Data you might have from the first game. All you have to do then is select your Clear Save File.
Thanks. I was using Load to boot up the file and a ton of things went wrong lol. I just needed to hit new game 😅

I would recommend either RH or AA.

RH and AA are in the 30-ish hour or lower mark. AA has an interesting combat mechanic, you dont "level up" but rather grow stronger abilities and stats, the story is rather nice. RH I could say is a masterpiece of a game, the story way the story is told is really good, the time traveling mechanic has some weight behind it and all the cast is superb.

With TMS if you aren't vibing with the game, I am not if the rest of the game will pull you in.

DSO and Stella Glow are games north of the 40 hour mark, Stella glows story is rather slow at the beginning (I haven't finished it). I finished Overclocked and in comparison to RB (I am like 80% with that game), I really like the story, its more center, you feel the urgency, etc.

Zero is a 10/10 game. For lighter VN on switch, the Famicom Detective Clubs are an option, they are around 8-10 hours, solid story.

I’m in an odd spot where I have a couple games started but haven’t gotten the rhythm for one as a main yet, Ryza, FFVIII(killed the fake president), and contemplating starting Rhapsody… well a short one may be in my favor tho. And Nier replicant tempts

Okay, onto postgame in Labyrinth of Galleria! Although it doesn’t really feel like postgame, just like… more game. Ending it here would be decent but not super satisfying based on what’s yet to come (I assume)

I finished watching the Trails of Cold Steel Northern War anime. Seeing North Ambria and meeting its people is cool and there’s some very cool bits along the way for Trails fans to the extent I think it’s worth seeing / putting up with, but overall this is a fairly whatever show with animation that can’t keep up with its ambition. It tries though, it clearly wants to be cool and does its best, but it too often loses the struggle. Also the ending is…not hot. The motivation of some major characters goes unexplained which is baffling and the big thing you’d want to see from Cold Steel III is underwhelming and lacking again despite its best efforts. I think this will be a show I’ll appreciate less with distance which is disappointing. If nothing else, at least we got the most goofy Trails title yet with The Aurora Phenomenon.

One last thing I don’t know if the last episode’s English dub was delayed or what, but I thought it was supposed to be up by now. I had sat down to watch the last two episodes and was tired of waiting so I ended up finishing it in Japanese. If I didn’t mention in a prior post in this thread, they got a random spread of voice actors back and the voice actors of two main characters, Rean and Altina, had to pull out so it was hardly worth it there :/

In my Trails journey, I finished Cold Steel 1 (pc) a couple of days ago. Going from Azure, it was weird playing a 3d and dubbed trails game, I got use to it pretty quick. Overall I liked the game but it felt like a game chasing a trend. Looking back at reviews some called the game "persona-esque" and I agree and disagree on that term. The game did feel like a shift from Sky and Crossbell in terms of story telling and characters.

Lets start with the story, given its the first of 4 (why Falcom lol) games its no surprise its a slow burn. The game boils down to a slice of life story where the students go on trips and resolve issues. Nothing bad with that, but given the size of the cast, they really wanted to make everyone shine and that in turn bloated the game a bit. Rise and repent for 6 months lol. I did like the idea of presenting the nations problems through interactions between the factions and the places they governed. Level design did not help with the experience, since Erebonia is so large it was cool seeing different locals but dungeons kinda sucked. And lastly, I was not a fan of the ending, it sorta felt like a tacked on gimmick, idk.

Now for characters, where to begin, no spoilers on their goals/affiliations/playability/etc. I did not like the main cast in the beginning because they were walking stereotypes (granted its a early 2010s game). You had your meek healer, mysterious girl, uptight bookworm, happy go lucky exchange student, etc. They grew on me as their stories came together and some bonding moments, but no major standouts. But there were characters that I really did not like. Angelica is the one character I really disliked, that woman is a walking sexual harassment. I don't mind casanova/femme fatale type characters, heck Randy is one of my favorite characters, but this woman felt insultingly stereotypical of her character trope, idk. The supporting cast felt a bit bland and I felt the npcs did not carry a charm.

Quick gameplay thoughts, quartz system is very simple (maybe too much). Money conversion sucked. Ambushing was tedious. Music was a mixed bag, great boss themes and some fights, but some towns/dungeons/places were forgettable. I missed combo crafts lol (big cast so I get it).

One thing I will say is that having experience Zero and Azure beforehand greatly boosted my experience. From references to visual queues to people, it was a really nice experience. Overall good game, a bit slow and bloated, ok cast but a nice base to start a tetralogy. Also I did not 100% the game, more like 92-95% (forgot some fish and recipes) and it took me about 78 hours. On to CS2.

Got back on the Live A Live wagon during my trip to CA which resulted in me starting and finishing the Near Future chapter. I forget if this was in the demo or not but this is by far the most mechanically traditional Squaresoft RPG of the bunch given the amount of back and forth between locations, a couple of minibosses, gear upgrading, a side minigame, and the final boss fight. And plenty of trash mob bashing along the way. Also it's fun to see some SaGa influences with the robo-turtle companion gaining abilities via equipment and requiring a specific item to raise their character level.

It was also the second scenario I finished in the SNES fan translation so returning to it felt like a sort of homecoming. So that was nice.

It's funny playing this game because it's really apparent to me at this point that Chrono Trigger is not just Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. It's also Live A Live in a lot of ways, not just with the disparate time periods but also the combat having a sizable focus on positioning and enemy sprites being a lot more dynamic than they are in FF games since enemies can move around and change their facing.

I'm still in the camp that expects a HD-2D Chrono Trigger remake as a follow-up to this project and I think Near Future is a great template for how that might look with how dense the backgrounds are in some places. Particularly Tobei's antiques shop with all the various artifacts on display. HD-2D just feels like a really natural fit for Chrono Trigger and the Toriyama inspired sprites that I think would easily sidestep the complaints that would arise if they were to try and do something on the cheap like with a Unity based 3D game ala the Mana remakes. I'm not entirely sure they really would want to invest the resources into something on the scale of DQ XI for CT given how large a game it is already, but that would be the next best option if they really want to take the game 3D. I just think it would be a lot of work and HD-2D should be a cheaper alternative. Especially because unlike Live A Live and past HD-2D projects, the sprite work already exists (in some form) and while they would need to be cleaned up for the higher resolution that's still overall less work I would expect.

Another thing I did on this trip was to read some interviews over at shmuplations, particularly with the Squaresoft developers. One of the interviews with the Koichi Ishii and others got me wondering about the current state of Square-Enix RPGs and I wanted to ask the thread a question about their output lately.

"With Final Fantasy increasingly moving towards action-RPGs, do you worry about Squaresoft's series losing a bit of their identity?"

Where I'm coming from with this is that in the SNES/PS1 generations it really felt like mechanically all of the main Squaresoft franchises had their own identity, or at least combat-wise. Final Fantasy had ATB. Mana was the action-RPG series (until Kingom Hearts kinda supplanted it). SaGa was turn-based. Front Mission was the SRPG series. One-offs like Chrono Trigger, Live A Live, Parasite Eve, Bahamut Lagoon, etc. could be anything. And I think that was sorta neat in the same way that while Nintendo has a large number of platformer franchises they each play differently with their own physics, expectations, etc.

In talking about Trials of Mana Ishii said the following...

—How do Seiken Densetsu and Final Fantasy differ in style?​

Ishii: With Seiken Densetsu, we want to do things that are impossible with the Final Fantasy gameplay system. Final Fantasy divides the battle screen from the map screen where everything else happens, and that makes the battles feel less realistic. In Final Fantasy’s battles, you don’t really feel like you’re damaging the enemies, in a visceral sense. The battles are fine in terms of strategy, but they’re limited in what they can express. For battles in video games to be engaging, it’s better to have a stronger core of action gameplay. That’s certainly one of the main selling points for this series.

And I guess what I'm curious about is that we've heard rumblings from S-E about wanting to do something with the Mana series again and I can't quite figure out where in the Squaresoft franchise map that sits now. Because we've got FF XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and Kingdom Hearts 4 as action-RPGs already on the upcoming games slate.

Is anyone else a little concerned Square-Enix is sort of marching towards something akin to the "Ubi-game" where every major title is a different skin slapped on the same gameplay frame? I doubt a theoretical Mana game is something they're expecting huge returns on but I really wish we didn't live in a timeline where there's a strong chance it's identity is likely to be "It's the Square-Enix action-RPG with a colorful world and cute characters".

A new trailer for Trails Into Reverie came out today showing off the Sky The 3rd like dungeon, The Reverie Corridor, with the minigames it houses.

I was excited to see the Magical Girl Alisa minigame and the return of the cardgame from CS3 and CS4.

If Live A Live is Squaresoft's equivalent of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, then the Prehistory chapter is the Miller's Tale of the batch 😂

Finally finished Ryza 3 and it really was a nostalgic trip for the entire trilogy (but mostly 1) and it really paid off for Gust to keep the same protagonist through the all the series as you can see the gang how they went to stupid teenagers to adults. Storywise related mostly everything gets a closure, a lot of things that weren't explained in 1 and 2 got explained here (sometimes in a weird way though) and even the new characters introduced had their story developed (unlike 2). Though this means you really need to play the other 2 to get the full context, the movie that explains what happened in 1 and 2doesn't really do it justice.

Gameplay wise it's also clearly a new standard for Gust. The fact that the entire map of Ryza 1 and the new areas are completely explorable without any loading times is really an achievment and more on switch, unfortunately they had to compromise the graphics quality as its really less detailed than Sophie 2 or Blue Reflection 2. Still it's amazing to be able to go from the atelier to the mountain and see how all the areas are connected, and while its an open world, really you can clear the game without exploring most of it if that's not your thing. Also when there are loading times (quick travel or events) it's really fast.

The battle system also gets and upgrade, its faster now, and every character has it's own style for timing the skill for combos (so you can't spam the skill button whenever you want or you miss the timing). Alchemy is pretty much the same than 2 , the main differences being that this time you can't loop from a lot of lower lvl items to higher ones (i.e weapons) to keep some balance in the game, and the second one they add super traits that can only be transfered from gathered materiales, which works a bonus to explore the world to find materials with those traits

Now the game isn't perfect and there are some things that could get some changes or improvments

1. The text is very small. Seriously this make the text of FETH looks giant, which is a first for the game as all the previous Gust games had really decent size (and this affects all versions, not only switch).

2. The world is filled with too many monsters. While at higher levels it doesn't matter as they are going to run from you, for most of the game it's not the case. And sometimes you want to gahter materials and there are like 5+ monsters near you. And this time you don't have the ability to autodefeat lower level enemies because...

3. Autoscaling level enemies: I hate this with all of my soul. It sucked in FF8, it sucked in Skyrim, it definitely suck in BotW (it made me just skip combat) and it suck here. I was surprised the first time I fought a single puni and took 30 seconds to finish the fight, and then returning to the same area with better equipment (not broken one yet) and still taking the same time, but now recieving more damage. I know they wanted to avoid you melting the lifebar of enemies (Sophie 1 being the biggest culprit here) but really autoscaling is not the way to fix this and should be banned from game development. That takes us to...

4. Balance; is waaaaaay more broken that all of other games together(minus sophie 1 ). While you always been able to craft equipment that rivals gods in all of the games, usually you do it at the end game where you can get better materials and traits. Because of the nature of the open world game and how skills are obtained now (via AP which you can get through quests, alchemy or advancing the story) it's very easy to rack points and unlock the entire skill tree as soon as you get to the second area. This means you can get overpowered traits in low level items in less than 10-12 hours of gameplay, which you are going to need if you want to avoid longer battles because of the autoscaling. And you really need to go extreme here as for example, going from 150 to 300 attack in a weapon is not going to make a difference as the enemy stats will autoscale to your level, so you need to go from something like 150 to 1000 to overcome the stupid autoscaling.

5. Localization: This is a mixed bag because of the nature of the author. On one hand the localization needs second pass. It has less grammar errors than Blue Reflection 2 and Sophie 2, but the syntax sometimes is weird (this time the game was localized by Clouded Leopard) and it feels it wasn't done by someone whose english is their mother language. On the other hand most of the script was done by Yashichiro Takahashi, of Shakugan no Shana fame, and if you know the series, he goes crazy with terms and that's the case here, specially at the end when they are explaining the backstory of the keys, So you will have terms like "people of the age of gods", "the code of the universe", "the gate of honor", "the chart of another sky" used a lot, sometimes in the same conversation. It's still manageable just expect some weird dialogues at the end.

With all that said it's a very good way to end the trilogy and seeing Ryza go all the way from an inexperienced alchemist to a full fledged one and how she and her friend became adults was a big pay off. Even Lent's shitty dad get's a decent ending. It's going to be interesting where Gust goes from here (not counting Marie as that's a remake) because clearly the exploration in open areas is the next step and even the director mentioned they know people now play more action rpg than the classic style (which was the reason why Ryza combat system is different). I wouldn't mind having an action oriented Atelier (something like in the vein of modern Ys games maybe).

Finally finished Ryza 3 and it really was a nostalgic trip for the entire trilogy (but mostly 1) and it really paid off for Gust to keep the same protagonist through the all the series as you can see the gang how they went to stupid teenagers to adults. Storywise related mostly everything gets a closure, a lot of things that weren't explained in 1 and 2 got explained here (sometimes in a weird way though) and even the new characters introduced had their story developed (unlike 2). Though this means you really need to play the other 2 to get the full context, the movie that explains what happened in 1 and 2doesn't really do it justice.

Gameplay wise it's also clearly a new standard for Gust. The fact that the entire map of Ryza 1 and the new areas are completely explorable without any loading times is really an achievment and more on switch, unfortunately they had to compromise the graphics quality as its really less detailed than Sophie 2 or Blue Reflection 2. Still it's amazing to be able to go from the atelier to the mountain and see how all the areas are connected, and while its an open world, really you can clear the game without exploring most of it if that's not your thing. Also when there are loading times (quick travel or events) it's really fast.

The battle system also gets and upgrade, its faster now, and every character has it's own style for timing the skill for combos (so you can't spam the skill button whenever you want or you miss the timing). Alchemy is pretty much the same than 2 , the main differences being that this time you can't loop from a lot of lower lvl items to higher ones (i.e weapons) to keep some balance in the game, and the second one they add super traits that can only be transfered from gathered materiales, which works a bonus to explore the world to find materials with those traits

Now the game isn't perfect and there are some things that could get some changes or improvments

1. The text is very small. Seriously this make the text of FETH looks giant, which is a first for the game as all the previous Gust games had really decent size (and this affects all versions, not only switch).

2. The world is filled with too many monsters. While at higher levels it doesn't matter as they are going to run from you, for most of the game it's not the case. And sometimes you want to gahter materials and there are like 5+ monsters near you. And this time you don't have the ability to autodefeat lower level enemies because...

3. Autoscaling level enemies: I hate this with all of my soul. It sucked in FF8, it sucked in Skyrim, it definitely suck in BotW (it made me just skip combat) and it suck here. I was surprised the first time I fought a single puni and took 30 seconds to finish the fight, and then returning to the same area with better equipment (not broken one yet) and still taking the same time, but now recieving more damage. I know they wanted to avoid you melting the lifebar of enemies (Sophie 1 being the biggest culprit here) but really autoscaling is not the way to fix this and should be banned from game development. That takes us to...

4. Balance; is waaaaaay more broken that all of other games together(minus sophie 1 ). While you always been able to craft equipment that rivals gods in all of the games, usually you do it at the end game where you can get better materials and traits. Because of the nature of the open world game and how skills are obtained now (via AP which you can get through quests, alchemy or advancing the story) it's very easy to rack points and unlock the entire skill tree as soon as you get to the second area. This means you can get overpowered traits in low level items in less than 10-12 hours of gameplay, which you are going to need if you want to avoid longer battles because of the autoscaling. And you really need to go extreme here as for example, going from 150 to 300 attack in a weapon is not going to make a difference as the enemy stats will autoscale to your level, so you need to go from something like 150 to 1000 to overcome the stupid autoscaling.

5. Localization: This is a mixed bag because of the nature of the author. On one hand the localization needs second pass. It has less grammar errors than Blue Reflection 2 and Sophie 2, but the syntax sometimes is weird (this time the game was localized by Clouded Leopard) and it feels it wasn't done by someone whose english is their mother language. On the other hand most of the script was done by Yashichiro Takahashi, of Shakugan no Shana fame, and if you know the series, he goes crazy with terms and that's the case here, specially at the end when they are explaining the backstory of the keys, So you will have terms like "people of the age of gods", "the code of the universe", "the gate of honor", "the chart of another sky" used a lot, sometimes in the same conversation. It's still manageable just expect some weird dialogues at the end.

With all that said it's a very good way to end the trilogy and seeing Ryza go all the way from an inexperienced alchemist to a full fledged one and how she and her friend became adults was a big pay off. Even Lent's shitty dad get's a decent ending. It's going to be interesting where Gust goes from here (not counting Marie as that's a remake) because clearly the exploration in open areas is the next step and even the director mentioned they know people now play more action rpg than the classic style (which was the reason why Ryza combat system is different). I wouldn't mind having an action oriented Atelier (something like in the vein of modern Ys games maybe).
Just wanted to highlight your comment about level-scaling enemies, because that always sucks so much. I hate it literally every time it’s used, and I really thought we were moving past it now with games like Elden Ring not having it at all (hallelujah). I’m hoping games like TOTK take more that approach. In open world games it’s okay to just have some areas be way harder than others, game devs! That’s fine!

Just wanted to highlight your comment about level-scaling enemies, because that always sucks so much. I hate it literally every time it’s used, and I really thought we were moving past it now with games like Elden Ring not having it at all (hallelujah). I’m hoping games like TOTK take more that approach. In open world games it’s okay to just have some areas be way harder than others, game devs! That’s fine!
Yeah, there is no logical reason why suddenly weak monsters are stronger, not to mention you get the same rewards! (so a puni lvl 50 is going to give you the same 10 xp than a puni lvl 20). And you can create uber equipment to shorten the battles (specially with enemies that resist physical damage) but then the game, even on the hardest difficulty, becomes very easy. So it's either create uber equipment and destroy everything in one turn or play it normally and have 2+ minutes battles after midgame

Level scaling is the worst. 😞

I had no idea Ryza had it. I played Rorona on ps3, it did not feel like it had it.

… I started Nier replicant, I’m definitely having weird clues and a lot of callbacks due to playing Automata first but still plenty of mysteries, will say I haven’t even got that far and the hooks are already in me

After 80.5 hours, my Trails To Azure replay is over! I’ve been writing up my thoughts over in the ST as I went so I’ll spare repeating too much, but short version I loved it. Like the official version of Zero, all of the extra voice acting really elevates the story and emotion which is great because despite a few of the lowest lows in the series, it’s probably the best game in the series with general excellence and some of the highest highs. I don’t know if it unseats Sky FC and SC for my favorites, but darn it’s very close. The amazing characters and story is backed up by the weight of the four prior games and leverages their world building expertly. Despite all of the drama, it still has the super cozy vibe of the first four games that I love. I also really dig the battle and character growth systems that’s more in depth than the Sky games, but doesn’t become too bloated like a few of the Cold Steel games (namely CS3, which is still my favorite CS otherwise) though Team Rush triggers a bit too frequently lol.

I mentioned in my final post in the ST, but there’s a lot of Trails ahead for me in the near future I’m excited about. The Trails of Cold Steel anime’s English dub concludes this week, I have a 1,000 piece Azure puzzle I still have to start, and then in three months Trails Into Reverie comes out which is going to be awesome! I officially put in to do the ST for Reverie so that’s going to be fun!

But yeah more immediately, I’m going to be returning to both Bayonetta Origins and Like A Dragon Ishin. The latter I might post about here if I haven’t already yet as it is the most RPG heavy of the LAD/Yakuza games that isn’t Yakuza 7 from what I’ve played. When those are done, I’m returning to my final Wii U VC games project with Golden Sun which I’m 100% going to be talking about here. I actually did briefly start it and reached the world map and I’m intrigued so far. But yeah more to say when I get back to it.

Agree with both 100%. Though, I played Ryza 3 on PS5 this time (bought it on Switch as well) since it was a lot better compared to Ryza 2 which was meh on PS5.

Also not had much time to post due to IRL work, but Zero to Azure is surely in my top 10 of all time. Hope Hajimari no Kiseki comes close.

Nier Replicant: if anime taught me anything, one should not trust talking books. Especially Grimoires. Wonder if Weiss is connected to Emil. Not that I know anything about him in this game, just from Automata, but he reeks of Emil’s bioweapon tech in the lore of automata

Nier Replicant: if anime taught me anything, one should not trust talking books. Especially Grimoires. Wonder if Weiss is connected to Emil. Not that I know anything about him in this game, just from Automata, but he reeks of Emil’s bioweapon tech in the lore of automata

I wish my first time experiencing that story would've been through the new version of Replicant. So much better including the music.

Oh ok

Why would they do that though?
Because of the open nature of the world I guess. This way no matter what level you are, you will be always able to finish it since really crafting attacking / buffing / debuffing items works really well and dish more damage than any normal attack combos. Thinking about it, it is punishing if you grind and don't upgrade your equipment since you really don't gain any significant stat from leveling up. For example a lvl 20 puni will deal about 30 damage using the base stat armor, and if you grind to 40 without changing your armor, the puni (now lvl 40) will deal 50 damage because the updated stats. With that said the game has the specific mechanic to rebuild items, so even a shitty bomb will carry you a long way and you can rebuild your armor to get better stats

Because of the open nature of the world I guess. This way no matter what level you are, you will be always able to finish it since really crafting attacking / buffing / debuffing items works really well and dish more damage than any normal attack combos. Thinking about it, it is punishing if you grind and don't upgrade your equipment since you really don't gain any significant stat from leveling up. For example a lvl 20 puni will deal about 30 damage using the base stat armor, and if you grind to 40 without changing your armor, the puni (now lvl 40) will deal 50 damage because the updated stats. With that said the game has the specific mechanic to rebuild items, so even a shitty bomb will carry you a long way and you can rebuild your armor to get better stats
Thank you, it makes more sense then. But I still feel like I don't want to play it (since it has scaling).

Thank you, it makes more sense then. But I still feel like I don't want to play it (since it has scaling).
As long as you use the systems, have attack items, upgrade armor and weapons, it's really not a big thing. Unlike Rorona items here doesn't get consumed, so even crafting / rebuilding one good attack item it's going to carry you for most of the game

Interesting times if Wizardry get a kind of revival.
Revival? It never died…
yes, but which branch??? western or japanese, each one is it's own beast
Yea, this is the million dollar question. The OG has been dead dead for quite a while, but the JP side has been ongoing.

Looks like it may be related to Wizardry Variants Daphne

I finished Cold Steel 2, I kinda wanted to get through 1&2 cause they were on pc (as I said before I am not a fan of pc gaming). Thoughts later.

I booted CS3(switch), I wont play it for a bit just wanted to see the evolved engine, it looks sharper than CS2 (the character models look better). However, there is a weird decision in this game, the UI font. It is so so small and distracting, not to mention all the new stuff cramped in there. First time I complain about the font of a game lol. Ill probably get used to it, but I do need a break after 2 full months of 3 Trails games.

I finished Cold Steel 2, I kinda wanted to get through 1&2 cause they were on pc (as I said before I am not a fan of pc gaming). Thoughts later.

I booted CS3(switch), I wont play it for a bit just wanted to see the evolved engine, it looks sharper than CS2 (the character models look better). However, there is a weird decision in this game, the UI font. It is so so small and distracting, not to mention all the new stuff cramped in there. First time I complain about the font of a game lol. Ill probably get used to it, but I do need a break after 2 full months of 3 Trails games.
You are hardcore getting through three Trails games so quickly lol. Interested to hear your thoughts on CS2 when you have time!

You are hardcore getting through three Trails games so quickly lol. Interested to hear your thoughts on CS2 when you have time!
Yeah, I think I need to calm down a bit, it helps that I am on a forced break from grad school. It will be ending next month so I am glad I got through Azure and CS 1&2

I got Labyrinth of Zangetsu, the dungeon-crawler rpg that has a ink-esthetic. I am about an hour in so really early impressions: the atmosphere and look is great, music is also helps with that. Its early so I do not think I've seen all the dungeon mechanics but traditional doors, you can see enemies (as a blob of smoke), you can sneak by enemies or catch them by surprise. Story starts with the typical evil has consumed the land and heroes must venture to the source.

You can make a team of 6, and there are around 10 classes, however you cannot choose the class you want for your adventurer. If anyone played Class of Heroes on the PSP, made by the same people Acquire, you have a number of races (oni, human, elf, etc) and they have their own stats, then you roll for bonus stats points (I think the max is 20), you can reroll forever so that's good. Then if your hero has the required stats for a class you can select it. You can change later as you level up and stuff. I personally am not a fan of this system.

Now for the combat, that is what makes it or breaks it for me in a dungeon-crawler. Battle are rather basic, the magic system is odd there is no mana instead you have a set number of times you can use magic spells (you start with 3) and they increase as you level up. That makes their use really really situational.

Overall its fine, I am enjoying it. Its 30$ so that works in its favor. As I go through it and things change Ill reply to this message.

I finished Like A Dragon Ishin last night and I loved it! Outside of Yakuza 7 which is fully agreed to be an RPG, I’ve always found the Yakuza games to be RPG-adjacent enough to be worth discussing here. Like A Dragon Ishin in particular I think fully fits the Action RPG label and is thus certainly on topic. Things that speak to me about RPGs are all here, managing resources and leveling up, managing equipment and utilizing crafting systems, an engaging story driven by interesting characters, and so much choice at the heart of it.

If you are unfamiliar, Like A Dragon Ishin plays with the story of Ryoma Sakamoto and their role in kickstarting the Meiji Restoration. This was kind of fun for me since I was operating off my knowledge from limited exposure in history classes and vague fuzzy knowledge you get from anime and games. You may recall Ryoma was in Live A Live last year for example or perhaps you know a bit about the Shinsengumi from anime like Gintama. There’s also essentially an emotional cheat code to care about all these historical characters you might be shakily familiar with because for the most part they reuse normal Yakuza characters like Kiryu, Majima, and Saejima to portray these characters. Incidentally, one of my favorite parts of this game is getting more Kiryu and Majima interactions. Also there’s a very cool meta thematic payoff related to the reuse of characters.

Beyond the story stuff, the cool thing here for action RPG fans is that unlike the normal Yakuza games that mostly revolve around punching and kicking, Ishin has Ryoma equipped with a sword, a gun, and special weapons, as well as armor. Throughout the game you are either seeking out new equipment or crafting it yourself to face the tougher challenges. Managing your level up bonuses is simple at its core, using a combat style levels it up and there’s a general level you raise alongside them, but there are a few cool, game changing abilities to shoot for like the Wild Dancer’s stance ability to have a looping combo to keep it interesting. There’s of course an arena, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover a huge dungeon crawling mode that ties into a recruit / card system attached to you joining the Shinsengumi. Is the dungeon crawling amazing? No. Is it fun? Yup! It even has big boss battles whose specific flavor of cruelty reminds me of Diablo II lol. I wish the recruit system was inherently a tad goofier as the fun stuff is sadly just tied to the free DLC where you can call upon the strength of a wrestler or V-Tuber for example for special moves and buffs in battle. Incidentally, my favorite combat moment in the game was tied to this when I entered a Dragon Ball Z laser beam showdown with the Shogun . This game is certainly historically accurate lol.

The normal strengths of the Yakuza games are all here. I got really invested in the main story and characters and the all you can eat buffet of content to dive into sucked me away for well over 55 hours. There’s so much stuff here to enjoy from combat, dungeon crawling, wanted quests, Karaoke, friendships/bonding, farming, cooking, fishing, and of course the substories which I couldn’t rest until I finished all of them. Like A Dragon Ishin is my favorite new game I’ve played so far this year and I highly recommend checking it out.

As for my next RPG, I’m not sure how far I’ll be getting into it, but I will be playing Golden Sun tonight. I thought I’d be able to finish it before Zelda, my next high priority game, but with the extremely pleasant surprise of the Xenoblade Future Redeemed DLC dropping next week, it’s unlikely. If I play enough to write up an early impressions post, I will do so though.

Yeah Ishin was fantastic and I've always thought of Yakuza/Like a Dragon as RPGs too (at least since the PS3 era), tbh. Ishin has so much to do and in such a cool setting for a game too. Couldn't get enough of the game. Almost 100% the side quests, may end up going back one day and doing that.

Last edited:
Wanted to add a few last minute nominations to @PixelKnight 's Best Switch RPGs voting thread. Did Blue Reflection Second Light and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition this morning and had time now to write up a post for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. Show some Yeah! support to those and other games if you haven't as the thread enters the last week.

Would be cool to see more classic games nominated if people have time...just saying Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Cross, and Earthbound for example haven't seen any love yet...

Back
Top Bottom