• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

We could also just abandon the Queen references and go with Return of the Cling instead.

Or do a backflip and go with Valerian Rhapsody.

I know people have been curious, Front Mission Remake is coming November 30th at $35. New trailer tomorrow.

I just wrapped up Bayonetta 3 tonight so I’m heading back to Mario and Rabbids 2 tomorrow. Definitely still need to do a Trails From Zero write up for this thread at some point. That was the last RPG I finished.
Kind of (really) interested in this. Having never played a FM game coupled with the guaranteed Forever Entertainment jank makes for an appealing proposition.

https://personacentral.com/sh2-sales-below-expectations-p5r-reception/

Ill posted here since the SH2 thread is dead. Why say "we will continue to update the game in the future with the aim to expand sales". Are they gonna add more random demons and QOL? Because I dont remember the last Atlus game that had post launch DLC.
I enjoyed Soul Hackers 2. I think if they wanted more sales, they needed a bigger budget. Compared to Persona, who screams style and is huge, this was a nice game, but not something I'll remember for years to come.

PSA: Clyde Mandalin (of Starmen.net, Mother 3 Fan Translation, Final Fantasy VI T-Edition Fan Translation, and Legends of Localization fame) has teased the 3rd book in his LoL series and he'll be covering the localization of Undertale to Japanese!

If you haven't read them, books 1 & 2 are great looks into how Legend of Zelda and Mother 2 were localized for the US.

Happy Birthday thread! I can’t believe we’ve already been discussing RPGs here for a year, time flies and y’all are very cool :)

Pretty happy I wrapped up Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope today at 100% completion. Early on is fun as you start building up your skill tree and choosing your spark combos to figure out what your early strengths and strategies are. I was concerned in the middle when my go to strategies felt comically unbeatable (Luigi with Steely Stare and Mario’s strength buff is absurd), but thankfully the back third picked up with more interesting maps. It seems since I preordered at Best Buy I won’t be able to buy the season pass which is absurd, but hopefully that’ll be straightened out when it starts rolling out. I think I prefer the first game overall and while I may not recommend Sparks of Hope too strongly in a vacuum (there’s so many great strategy RPG options out there, especially this year), I do think if you liked the first game you should check it out.

I also do owe this thread a Trails From Zero write up, so let me do that quickly while I’m here. My enthusiasm for the game and series is well known since my thread on it became the de facto ST. That was never the plan with it, but I obviously could not be happier with how that turned out especially since so many people went on to pick it up and enjoy it. I actually wasn’t even sure I was going to replay the game so soon, but it hit at the perfect time where it was the exact type of game I most wanted to play on top of the enthusiasm here. I already liked the game obviously, but I actually enjoyed it way more with this replay. The biggest change is that the main scenario has full voice acting this time which radically changes how you view certain lines for better and occasionally for worse. Most importantly the big emotional scenes hit so much harder now which really made me care about the story and characters more. I also had different quartz equipped on my characters this time, which definitely changed how I approached the game, and instead of picking Elie for certain minor split path events I picked Tio this time so I saw some new content which was cool. Speaking of new content, I did enjoy the treasure chest messages officially returned and had a delightful mix of new and old messages. I took so many screenshots from ones that made me laugh lol. I’m very glad I replayed this and I’m so excited to see how much better Azure will be with voice acting next year. It’s going to be a real RPG of the year contender.

Anyway, Pokemon Violet is the RPG I’m looking forward to next, but that’s a whole week away! No idea what I’m doing in the meantime, but I have tons of options from my deep 3DS / Wii U / VC backlog (Fire Emblem Fates? Breath of Fire?), my GameCube replay project (Tales of Symphonia!), and of course RPGs I picked up this year including Rhapsody which I still want to beat before the year ends.

Happy Birthday thread! I can’t believe we’ve already been discussing RPGs here for a year, time flies and y’all are very cool :)

Pretty happy I wrapped up Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope today at 100% completion. Early on is fun as you start building up your skill tree and choosing your spark combos to figure out what your early strengths and strategies are. I was concerned in the middle when my go to strategies felt comically unbeatable (Luigi with Steely Stare and Mario’s strength buff is absurd), but thankfully the back third picked up with more interesting maps. It seems since I preordered at Best Buy I won’t be able to buy the season pass which is absurd, but hopefully that’ll be straightened out when it starts rolling out. I think I prefer the first game overall and while I may not recommend Sparks of Hope too strongly in a vacuum (there’s so many great strategy RPG options out there, especially this year), I do think if you liked the first game you should check it out.

I also do owe this thread a Trails From Zero write up, so let me do that quickly while I’m here. My enthusiasm for the game and series is well known since my thread on it became the de facto ST. That was never the plan with it, but I obviously could not be happier with how that turned out especially since so many people went on to pick it up and enjoy it. I actually wasn’t even sure I was going to replay the game so soon, but it hit at the perfect time where it was the exact type of game I most wanted to play on top of the enthusiasm here. I already liked the game obviously, but I actually enjoyed it way more with this replay. The biggest change is that the main scenario has full voice acting this time which radically changes how you view certain lines for better and occasionally for worse. Most importantly the big emotional scenes hit so much harder now which really made me care about the story and characters more. I also had different quartz equipped on my characters this time, which definitely changed how I approached the game, and instead of picking Elie for certain minor split path events I picked Tio this time so I saw some new content which was cool. Speaking of new content, I did enjoy the treasure chest messages officially returned and had a delightful mix of new and old messages. I took so many screenshots from ones that made me laugh lol. I’m very glad I replayed this and I’m so excited to see how much better Azure will be with voice acting next year. It’s going to be a real RPG of the year contender.

Anyway, Pokemon Violet is the RPG I’m looking forward to next, but that’s a whole week away! No idea what I’m doing in the meantime, but I have tons of options from my deep 3DS / Wii U / VC backlog (Fire Emblem Fates? Breath of Fire?), my GameCube replay project (Tales of Symphonia!), and of course RPGs I picked up this year including Rhapsody which I still want to beat before the year ends.
Thanks for making the thread, I also enjoy chatting about rpgs with my fami. :)

Currently playing through Ender Lilies after some recommendations here. I’ve beaten the first three bosses, my thoughts on it are starting to firm up a bit. I love the music and visuals, and the way the protagonist stands out is cool. But sometimes it’s not always obvious what you can stand on and what’s background scenery as everything is subdued. I like the way the spirits are both your companions and your attacks, they are very responsive and the build combinations are fun to tinker with whenever you get a new one. My other complaint with it is kind of a lack of variety in pacing and tone. Because everything is bleak, all the time, and there’s no letup from that. Various other games that do the ‘messing around in a fallen kingdom where it’s inhabitants are now monsters/undead, everything is bleak and melancholy and they all need to be sent on to a final rest’ thing get around this with moments of weird or macabre humour as a release valve, but Ender Lillies hasn’t so far. It’s just all ‘here’s another note about another sad story as the people fought against the inevitable decline, or their mundane lives were destroyed’. Which I get is sort of the theme of these games, but without any kind of even momentary relief from it, it loses power.

I got a bit stuck at one point as i didn’t realise that my power to break floors could also be increased in power by jumping off higher vantage point. Perhaps I was distracted if that was explained at any point, but I couldn’t remember being told that and only persevered through the map making it clear that one point had to be the way forward. That was both frustrating and rewarding in the end, I guess.

Boss fights are a bit damage-spongey, and enemies need a little more variety, but their designs are all suitably creepy and fun. The exploration has been engaging so far. I like that the map doesn’t tell you exactly where the exits are, but does flag up that they are there, and when you have or haven’t found everything of note in an area. That means it’s useful in terms of being able to see past routes (as you’ll likely remember the exits you’ve seen before as you head back in) but theres still an element of discovery for the player and hints of where to look next, it’s elegant. Also fast travel opened up quickly, save points are fairly frequent and there’s save points in front of bosses.

All in all, I’m very much enjoying it. Not my favourite of the genre down to a few nitpicks above, but it’s very elegant and gets a lot of the regular things that annoy me right from the start.

NISA details improvements coming to Ys VIII PS5. Including improved shadows, draw distance, a 120 fps performance mode, and more.

Curious that they'd only advertise the DLC costumes as the selling point for the new version when there's so much more. Maybe it's their audience ahah

Currently playing through Ender Lilies after some recommendations here. I’ve beaten the first three bosses, my thoughts on it are starting to firm up a bit. I love the music and visuals, and the way the protagonist stands out is cool. But sometimes it’s not always obvious what you can stand on and what’s background scenery as everything is subdued. I like the way the spirits are both your companions and your attacks, they are very responsive and the build combinations are fun to tinker with whenever you get a new one. My other complaint with it is kind of a lack of variety in pacing and tone. Because everything is bleak, all the time, and there’s no letup from that. Various other games that do the ‘messing around in a fallen kingdom where it’s inhabitants are now monsters/undead, everything is bleak and melancholy and they all need to be sent on to a final rest’ thing get around this with moments of weird or macabre humour as a release valve, but Ender Lillies hasn’t so far. It’s just all ‘here’s another note about another sad story as the people fought against the inevitable decline, or their mundane lives were destroyed’. Which I get is sort of the theme of these games, but without any kind of even momentary relief from it, it loses power.

I got a bit stuck at one point as i didn’t realise that my power to break floors could also be increased in power by jumping off higher vantage point. Perhaps I was distracted if that was explained at any point, but I couldn’t remember being told that and only persevered through the map making it clear that one point had to be the way forward. That was both frustrating and rewarding in the end, I guess.

Boss fights are a bit damage-spongey, and enemies need a little more variety, but their designs are all suitably creepy and fun. The exploration has been engaging so far. I like that the map doesn’t tell you exactly where the exits are, but does flag up that they are there, and when you have or haven’t found everything of note in an area. That means it’s useful in terms of being able to see past routes (as you’ll likely remember the exits you’ve seen before as you head back in) but theres still an element of discovery for the player and hints of where to look next, it’s elegant. Also fast travel opened up quickly, save points are fairly frequent and there’s save points in front of bosses.

All in all, I’m very much enjoying it. Not my favourite of the genre down to a few nitpicks above, but it’s very elegant and gets a lot of the regular things that annoy me right from the start.
Ooh Ender Lilies is awesome! One of my favorites last year that grew on me more and more as I played it. Kind of agree with the tone thing, the notes and cutscenes blur together a bit, but I like where it goes ultimately. The way the map works is super cool, one of my favorite things about the game.

I loved Ender Lilies but I share a lot of these points, too. It gets a bit repetitive especially with the combat-heavier later sections of the game, and the bleakness never lets up. But, I found that the melancholy feel of it has a great payoff by the ending and it really hit me in the feels by the end, too.

NISA details improvements coming to Ys VIII PS5. Including improved shadows, draw distance, a 120 fps performance mode, and more.

Curious that they'd only advertise the DLC costumes as the selling point for the new version when there's so much more. Maybe it's their audience ahah

I've been itching to replay Ys 8, so I might jump in on PS5. It's a phenomenal game and my favorite Ys that I've played (which granted is only a handful!)

I've been itching to replay Ys 8, so I might jump in on PS5. It's a phenomenal game and my favorite Ys that I've played (which granted is only a handful!)
I really liked VIII even if I had issues with the party and how irrelevant and little character development any of them get outside of Dana. It’s her story, I guess, but it feels like four of the six party members are just there to give weapon options. Still, the music is amazing and I love the castaway village vibe, everyone working together to escape while you map the island.

It's the third anniversary of Atelier Ryza! (it actually released on Nov 1st but better later than ever). As my second RPG favorite franchise (after DQ) I consider this game a turn point for Gust in both the technical, gameplay and even business aspect as it was the firt series (counting Ryza 2 ) to sold over a million copies.

On one hand they did a great job to make the alchemy process more mainstream, creating a system that's easy to learn and difficult to master. While the process is simpler if you want to create broken items you really have to know how and create big loops so the final item level is low. The change in battle system was also refreshing going for an auto battle system in real time, I know some people don't like it but it shows Gust is not afraid to do changes.

For the technical side, the game looks really good, but most important is that Gust really decided to take in consideration the Switch hardware as they manage to create bigger fields and keep a lot of effects and visuals on the switch (the clouds looks reeally good), and it's something they have managed to even upgrade in newer releases (I.e Sophie 2 has visual and perfomance mode only available on switch). It really show what a team can do when they have knowledge of the hardware

UkNtMza.jpg
73WmQAB.jpg
sv9Z0v5.jpg

Now that Ryza 3 is coming next February, its a good chance to replay both games, and if you are interested in it I recommend playing them in order as the QoL changes introduced in 2 makes 1 feels a little slower.

I really liked VIII even if I had issues with the party and how irrelevant and little character development any of them get outside of Dana. It’s her story, I guess, but it feels like four of the six party members are just there to give weapon options. Still, the music is amazing and I love the castaway village vibe, everyone working together to escape while you map the island.
Yeah most of the party is forgettable but Dana’s story is really all I needed, it made the game for me. Plus the island mysteries, the unlock conditions, building your town, all of that. Ys 9 was good too but it was really missing that personal party member connection and the mystery and locations weren’t as good IMO (or the music).

I loved Ender Lilies but I share a lot of these points, too. It gets a bit repetitive especially with the combat-heavier later sections of the game, and the bleakness never lets up. But, I found that the melancholy feel of it has a great payoff by the ending and it really hit me in the feels by the end, too.
I just finished this and yeah, it does pay off well. I left some thoughts in the eshop thread- I’ll copy them in here-

Finished Ender Lillies. That last section was such a slog, but I’m glad that I stuck with it. Also I like that it didn’t answer every single question I had about the story, it was suitably vague in places. My main criticisms of it remain the same though- a complete lack of emotional pacing robs scenes of their tragic nature following the previous 10 hours of endless awful ends to life as the kingdom collapsed. And it was hard to see what was going on in places. Still, it’s very elegantly put together. A couple of the boss fights were a bit on the tough side for me, even after playing stacks of Metroidvanias, but from the scenario of ‘messing around in a corrupted tragic fallen kingdom’, I feel like they were aiming at Souls and Hollow Knight fans too.

Really digging Triangle Strategy so far. I actually like the lack of customization, battles feel more fine-tuned than in other tactics games like Fire Emblem.

Characters are pure cardboard though. Dragan was the only one I’ve genuinely liked so far, and, well…

I just finished this and yeah, it does pay off well. I left some thoughts in the eshop thread- I’ll copy them in here-

Finished Ender Lillies. That last section was such a slog, but I’m glad that I stuck with it. Also I like that it didn’t answer every single question I had about the story, it was suitably vague in places. My main criticisms of it remain the same though- a complete lack of emotional pacing robs scenes of their tragic nature following the previous 10 hours of endless awful ends to life as the kingdom collapsed. And it was hard to see what was going on in places. Still, it’s very elegantly put together. A couple of the boss fights were a bit on the tough side for me, even after playing stacks of Metroidvanias, but from the scenario of ‘messing around in a corrupted tragic fallen kingdom’, I feel like they were aiming at Souls and Hollow Knight fans too.
Congrats! And yeah the last part is definitely a slog ,but at the same time I think it helps to the ambient and tone set from the beginning.

Really digging Triangle Strategy so far. I actually like the lack of customization, battles feel more fine-tuned than in other tactics games like Fire Emblem.

Characters are pure cardboard though. Dragan was the only one I’ve genuinely liked so far, and, well…
I really like Benedict, he comes into his own later on :)

I really like Benedict, he comes into his own later on :)
That’s good to hear. He’s definitely been one of the more interesting characters so far, mostly because his character actually leans into being fairly dry.

Serenoa and Frederica though, yeesh.

What I played of Ryza I didn't liked at all, think the series is at its best when it has the time management integrated into it. The combat had already taken a dip in what I liked about it with Lulua, where everything feels sponge-y and artificial in the length of battle, Ryza doubles down on that, I dislike the restriction of the amount of battle items, the cool thing for me in previous games was the fact that one could wipe enemies in one turn with good crafting while still having the challenge of the time limit to gauge if is worth the use or reserve it for other enemies and the like. The general atmosphere felt more boring from the start as well for me, starting music sounds a lot more chill and typical of a more slice of life type world, but what I like about the series is that it had a pretty jarring but fitting contrast in the music from the get go being pretty energetic, complex, melancholic, grandiose, and/or epic at any point. Visually is a miss because I don't like the artist's style which Gust always tries its best to mimic it in the world and characters, why Dusk trilogy is peak atmosphere. Also didn't like how aimless Ryza is as a protagonist, liked the clear goal of previous ones from the get go. The alchemy system is good tho, definitely better than the set up of what I played of the Mysterious games, even if I still prefer Arland and Dusk's system.

What I played of Ryza I didn't liked at all, think the series is at its best when it has the time management integrated into it. The combat had already taken a dip in what I liked about it with Lulua, where everything feels sponge-y and artificial in the length of battle, Ryza doubles down on that, I dislike the restriction of the amount of battle items, the cool thing for me in previous games was the fact that one could wipe enemies in one turn with good crafting while still having the challenge of the time limit to gauge if is worth the use or reserve it for other enemies and the like. The general atmosphere felt more boring from the start as well for me, starting music sounds a lot more chill and typical of a more slice of life type world, but what I like about the series is that it had a pretty jarring but fitting contrast in the music from the get go being pretty energetic, complex, melancholic, grandiose, and/or epic at any point. Visually is a miss because I don't like the artist's style which Gust always tries its best to mimic it in the world and characters, why Dusk trilogy is peak atmosphere. Also didn't like how aimless Ryza is as a protagonist, liked the clear goal of previous ones from the get go. The alchemy system is good tho, definitely better than the set up of what I played of the Mysterious games, even if I still prefer Arland and Dusk's system.
YEah, the main issue with Ryza 1 is that it takes a long time to get going regarding the goal (I would say like the middle of the game) and upgrading your equipment, and the fact that you don't unlock fast travel untill that part makes the game slower, with that said I think it does fit in the story since unlike the other protagonists Ryza only knew farming so it makes sense she doesn't know what to do regarding alchemy. Thankfully they took that in consideration for 2 as the combat is faster and the story takes less time to start (also fast travel is unlocked since the beginning)

I’ve been avoiding the Pokemon SV ST since my first copy got lost in the mail, so I’ll just post a non spoiler impression here after playing for the first time today. I barely got to where the game opens up, but even in the tutorial section wow I was already blown away. This is the big leap forward for traditional Pokemon I’ve always wanted. I explored every inch of the tutorial area and caught all but one Pokemon species my Quaxly unfortunately one shotted. There’s technical issues sure, some are annoying (don’t walk down the main street of the big town) and some very funny (the first shot of the classroom for example), but I’m also just really impressed by the vision here even if it is often shakily realized on the technical front. Seeing the Pokemon hanging out in this open world format is so cool and while the Pokeball throwing isn’t like Arceus, being able to target specific wild Pokemon is liberating. Very excited to play more soon.

This will be my RPG for a while as I’m juggling it alongside a replay of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the 20th anniversary of Prime.

Pokemon has been great so far and is taking over my game time, probably will for a while. I still need to finish Trails from Zero (nearly done with Chapter 4!) and then I have Tactics Ogre and Ys 8 (PS5) waiting for me when I have time to get to them. And all of that before the absolute onslaught of great RPGs that are coming in 2023 starting with FE: Engage. It continues to be such a good time for RPGs/RPG fans, especially JRPGs. And in 2023 we're going to start seeing the fruits of Microsoft's WRPG studios, too.

Both Cold Steel 1&2 are 20 bucks on steam. Should I just get them? Because I don't see them coming to switch anytime soon, in english. Ill got 3 and 4 wishlisted on switch.

Both Cold Steel 1&2 are 20 bucks on steam. Should I just get them? Because I don't see them coming to switch anytime soon, in english. Ill got 3 and 4 wishlisted on switch.
Get them on Steam, PS4, or Vita. Steam is the definitive version with more voice acting. There’s too many hurdles to believe they’ll come to Switch sadly.

Get them on Steam, PS4, or Vita. Steam is the definitive version with more voice acting. There’s too many hurdles to believe they’ll come to Switch sadly.
Yeah. Kinda sucks but in the rare total penumbral lunar eclipse event they do come to switch, Ill gladly get them (on sale lol) since I'll have all the series (minus Sky) on the system

I just posted this in the General Discussion thread, but I want to post it here too. Before Pokemon SV came out I googled how the multiplayer works and from the article I read I came out disappointed you couldn’t do much together. I was super pleasantly surprised tonight to find that was completely untrue and instead it was exactly what I wanted and even better.

I played with my brother and best friend for over five hours tonight and had an absolute blast roaming around Paldea together, telling each other where we saw new Pokemon to catch and being able to tackle our individual campaigns. I was just hoping for wild Pokemon, but you can tackle your gym battles while someone else goes after a Titan boss fight or whatever and you get all of your cutscenes which is super cool. There were visual glitches sure (apparently my character kept holding up a peace sign on my friends screen and I’d lose my arm once in a while lol) and the normal performance woes (the town out east has a very sadly performing windmill lol), but otherwise the experience went perfectly fine with no communication errors.

I said it in my post above too, but this is truly the huge leap forward for the series I always wanted. So excited to play more together tomorrow.

I just posted this in the General Discussion thread, but I want to post it here too. Before Pokemon SV came out I googled how the multiplayer works and from the article I read I came out disappointed you couldn’t do much together. I was super pleasantly surprised tonight to find that was completely untrue and instead it was exactly what I wanted and even better.

I played with my brother and best friend for over five hours tonight and had an absolute blast roaming around Paldea together, telling each other where we saw new Pokemon to catch and being able to tackle our individual campaigns. I was just hoping for wild Pokemon, but you can tackle your gym battles while someone else goes after a Titan boss fight or whatever and you get all of your cutscenes which is super cool. There were visual glitches sure (apparently my character kept holding up a peace sign on my friends screen and I’d lose my arm once in a while lol) and the normal performance woes (the town out east has a very sadly performing windmill lol), but otherwise the experience went perfectly fine with no communication errors.

I said it in my post above too, but this is truly the huge leap forward for the series I always wanted. So excited to play more together tomorrow.

Can two people play locally with one copy of the game? I'd love to play it with my kid but am honestly having a hard time figuring out how and if that would be possible.

Can two people play locally with one copy of the game? I'd love to play it with my kid but am honestly having a hard time figuring out how and if that would be possible.
At once? Sadly no. You could make separate save files with different profiles and I imagine it’d be fun to help guide them through it depending on how young they are.

Started Ni No Kuni II recently, the original is a game that I wanted to like more but I couldn't deal with the general speed of the game, both in just controls/ combat and in the pacing, the sequel is more up to my speed, and much prefer the combat of this one, reminds me of Tales of, and presentation wise it really makes me wish that series continued the style of Vesperia lol. But yea really enjoying it so far.

I did not remotely plan for it or expect it, but I played 8.5 virtually uninterrupted hours of Pokemon online today with my brother and we were joined by my best friend for a good amount too. Time absolutely flew by. Incredible game.

My now fully evolved Quaxly is level 40 now, I have 9/18 badges, and over 25% of the Pokemon caught, so I’m making good progress.

Yeah Star Ocean 6 is great, one of the surprise dark horse games of the year.

Returned to Soul Hackers 2 yesterday and the fights and general movement clip along at a much better pace now. Glad I waited for the patch.

I’m thinking of starting up Labyrinth of Refrain today to get ready for Galleria, which I’ve heard great things about.

I want to finish FF9 badly. I am so close but haven't mentally turned on to do it on disc 4. Maybe I will before Front Mission drops

Yeah Star Ocean 6 is great, one of the surprise dark horse games of the year.

Returned to Soul Hackers 2 yesterday and the fights and general movement clip along at a much better pace now. Glad I waited for the patch.
I hope we get a late port of either of those on Switch

I hope we get a late port of either of those on Switch

Soul Hackers 2 is a bit of an oddball when SMT3: Nocturne, SMTV, Persona 5: Royal (and soon P3P & P4: Golden), 13 Sentinels and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are all on Switch but Atlus gonna Atlus, I guess. With them saying it underperformed maybe they'll decide to try and make more money back off the game with a Switch port.

I don't see why SO6 can't happen on Switch, I'm playing it on my base PS4 and there's some rough parts in performance (characters getting stuck in geometry whilst platforming) but Tri-Ace can optimise it, I think they've definitely got the tech know how to do it.

Both Soul Hackers 2 & Star Ocean 6 give off those PS2 era JRPG vibes and that's meant as a compliment. SO6 has zones like FFXII in which enemies are strewn around, there's platforming using your robot sidekick and orb hunting like Gravity Rush (where you glide/float to higher platforms looking for said orbs) which level up your robot companion to use in combat as well, the combo chains you can fully customise like in God Hand and level up each attack individually, level up each character, level up passive skills, level up crafting skills. If you enjoy levelling up, boy this game has that in abundance. Also the game is full of old school JRPG towns. Plus the boardgame is surprisingly addictive as well. Also the best Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack I've heard in a long time.

To be honest, they should also re-release Resonance of Fate on to Switch whilst they're at it, since it's a great game that deserves more appreciation.

Soul Hackers 2 is a bit of an oddball when SMT3: Nocturne, SMTV, Persona 5: Royal (and soon P3P & P4: Golden), 13 Sentinels and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are all on Switch but Atlus gonna Atlus, I guess. With them saying it underperformed maybe they'll decide to try and make more money back off the game with a Switch port.

I don't see why SO6 can't happen on Switch, I'm playing it on my base PS4 and there's some rough parts in performance (characters getting stuck in geometry whilst platforming) but Tri-Ace can optimise it, I think they've definitely got the tech know how to do it.

Both Soul Hackers 2 & Star Ocean 6 give off those PS2 era JRPG vibes and that's meant as a compliment. SO6 has zones like FFXII in which enemies are strewn around, there's platforming using your robot sidekick and orb hunting like Gravity Rush (where you glide/float to higher platforms looking for said orbs) which level up your robot companion to use in combat as well, the combo chains you can fully customise like in God Hand and level up each attack individually, level up each character, level up passive skills, level up crafting skills. If you enjoy levelling up, boy this game has that in abundance. Also the game is full of old school JRPG towns. Plus the boardgame is surprisingly addictive as well. Also the best Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack I've heard in a long time.

To be honest, they should also re-release Resonance of Fate on to Switch whilst they're at it, since it's a great game that deserves more appreciation.
Soul Hackers 2 is basically a Vita game they forgot to put on this generation’s equivalent to the Vita.

Idk if this is the best thread to ask but, could someone tell me if FEW: Three Hopes could be enjoyed narrative wise for someone that hasn't played and has no interest in playing Three Houses. I'm kind of thinking of getting it at some point because I liked the gameplay from what I played of the demo, but I'm not super sure about the story.

Idk if this is the best thread to ask but, could someone tell me if FEW: Three Hopes could be enjoyed narrative wise for someone that hasn't played and has no interest in playing Three Houses. I'm kind of thinking of getting it at some point because I liked the gameplay from what I played of the demo, but I'm not super sure about the story.
I watched playthroughs of 2 three houses routes, just the major story bits and I’ve been enjoying it. There’s subtext you’ll miss and some big changes but it’s its own set of timelines so it does have its own story. Although it streamlined certain story elements figuring you played the original

Wondering whether I can squeeze a playthrough of Front Mission in before DQ Treasures comes out. I’m still hopelessly addicted to Monster Hunter…

Evil Nintendo about to siphon 60 euros from my wallet for the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Expansion Pass Bundle.

I swear if they introduce a discounted line or they start doing bigger discounts than 33% off early next year I'm gonna be mad and complaining about it (here lol). Though I have to add that I MUST get the game after playing my first Xeno (with DE) earlier this year. I just wish we could have nicer prices for 5(?) years old titles.

Back
Top Bottom