• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

So Gust announced Ryza series has shipped 1.6 million copies!, The additional 600k where over 2 years as they reached 1 million in march 2021. This show the series has strong legs (literally in this case lol)

Yo Tokyo Xanadu is coming to Switch. It’s a bizarre cross between Trails and Ys with a modern day setting. It’s not quite as good as either Trails or Ys, but I had a good time with it on Vita. Hope we get a US release. Aksys handled the Vita, PS4, and PC releases.

I played this on Vita back in the day and thought it was actually a little underrated. (It's not amazing, but I think it was a cool experience.)

Willing Falcom (probably NISA) to bring it over.

I played this on Vita back in the day and thought it was actually a little underrated. (It's not amazing, but I think it was a cool experience.)

Willing Falcom (probably NISA) to bring it over.
I think they’d go through Aksys again if it happens here since the script is pretty long. They only worked together the one time, but we never heard anything about it being negative or anything so that shouldn’t be a problem and Aksys has kind of been hurting for bigger games lately.

I think they’d go through Aksys again if it happens here since the script is pretty long. They only worked together the one time, but we never heard anything about it being negative or anything so that shouldn’t be a problem and Aksys has kind of been hurting for bigger games lately.

Yeah, I can see how between Ys and Trails how NISA might be a little overwhelmed.

Yo Tokyo Xanadu is coming to Switch. It’s a bizarre cross between Trails and Ys with a modern day setting. It’s not quite as good as either Trails or Ys, but I had a good time with it on Vita. Hope we get a US release. Aksys handled the Vita, PS4, and PC releases.

I played this a few years ago and it’s… very okay? It felt like they wanted to mix Trails and Ys with a dash of Persona, but it ended up being worse than all of those, although still not a bad game.

Some nice deals. The only game I haven't pull a trigger on is Ys 9, cause I haven't finish 8 lol (I know I don't have to finish 8).

I believe Steam also has this spring deals, don't know about PS and Xbox

giphy.gif

From Reddit. Grains of salt and all that. But I'd love to play SMT IV and SMT IV:A on Switch!

jnza77050moa1acen0.jpg
Absolutely. Wasn’t this rumored earlier as well, although I think by a questionable source? I’ll be cautious, for sure, but it sure looks pretty legit

Absolutely. Wasn’t this rumored earlier as well, although I think by a questionable source? I’ll be cautious, for sure, but it sure looks pretty legit
Yeah, it really looks legit, even though some chracters seemed mirrored. I want to believe though :)

Yeah, it really looks legit, even though some chracters seemed mirrored. I want to believe though :)
And the SMT 30th Anniversary event is May 5th so that would make perfect sense to show it there. That’d be an amazing thing to have announced and focus on just before everyone disappears into TOTK.

I would love for this to be real as well since I want more MegaTen on my Switch, but the fact that both Flynn and Nanashi are needlessly mirrored makes me doubt.

Can anyone remember the last time we had a ‘best RPGs on switch’ vote? Thought it might be a fun thread seeing as there aren’t many major ones on the immediate horizon

Can anyone remember the last time we had a ‘best RPGs on switch’ vote? Thought it might be a fun thread seeing as there aren’t many major ones on the immediate horizon

That would be a stressful vote. (A good problem.) There are so many wonderful RPGs on Switch and I think the last 1-2 years have made the decision harder.

That would be a stressful vote. (A good problem.) There are so many wonderful RPGs on Switch and I think the last 1-2 years have made the decision harder.
Oh totally, that’s why I think it’s worth doing, there’s been some great ones that might shake it up a bit and offer some food for discussion :)

I’m tempted to do something like my hidden gems thread, where people make nomination posts and yeahs=votes. Keeps it simple for me and leads to good write-ups. Then say, at the end of April I’ll just tot up the votes and compile the results into order. Downside is there’s a bias towards early posts on the front page but I’d expect all the front runners to get there pretty quick anyway! :D

https://famiboards.com/threads/hidden-gem-recommendations-on-switch-‘try-this-if-you-liked…’-see-format-in-op.3794/

What do people think? Worth doing?

I’m tempted to do something like my hidden gems thread, where people make nomination posts and yeahs=votes. Keeps it simple for me and leads to good write-ups. Then say, at the end of April I’ll just tot up the votes and compile the results into order. Downside is there’s a bias towards early posts on the front page but I’d expect all the front runners to get there pretty quick anyway! :D

https://famiboards.com/threads/hidden-gem-recommendations-on-switch-‘try-this-if-you-liked…’-see-format-in-op.3794/

What do people think? Worth doing?

Like you said, I think there's some good discussion to be had at this point in the Switch's life. So many good RPGs to cover!

Here you go everyone! Please feel free to join in and give your favourites some love with a nomination post, and come back later to drop those yeahs on everything you enjoyed

Last edited:

So regarding an xbox port, It's basically the same answer as last year, where they comment if there is enough demand they'll do it, so it's probably not going to change at lest in 2023. A shame, because xbox friends need to enjoy the magic of Atelier

You can now purchase the three Voice of Cards game as a group. Smells like a physical edition is coming soon, especially since the price tag is $49.99 or $64.99 if you want the DLC included.

You can now purchase the three Voice of Cards game as a group. Smells like a physical edition is coming soon, especially since the price tag is $49.99 or $64.99 if you want the DLC included.

Oh nice, good spot!

So as I mentioned with my completion of Final Fantasy X, I have now completed every single mainline, single player Final Fantasy game. This has been a long time goal of mine. I first learned of the series when I was 11 or 12 spending the night at my cousin's house. I brought over my PS2 and he wanted to rent Final Fantasy X. We went to the local blockbuster (as your parents) and then I spent half the night watching him play. Now while that part sucked, I was blown away by the opening cinematic and my interest was peaked. Now being a child with the attention span of a squirrel, I naturally went on to ignore the series for several more years. Late in high school I began hearing people chattering about Square and Sony remaking Final Fantasy VII. Well, I started doing more research online and decided to start playing around with the series. Since I was a sucker for starting at the beginning, I bought FF I for PSP and away we went....

Final Fantasy I (PSP)- My very first adventure in the world of Square. I remember starting this up for the first time at high school waiting for club to start. I think it was late 2007/early 2008? I was hooked from the start. This is probably the one game that I used a guide the least on, which led to alot of time just randomly jumping around in the airship. By the end, my team was pretty strong, but the last boss still took forever.

Final Fantasy II (PSP)- This is the game that I probably remember the least out of any games in the series. I started playing it shortly after I. From what I remember, it was more of the same in gameplay, but the setting was more elaborate. It seems to be one of the least favorite/memorable on people's lists, but that probably goes for most pre-1990 JRPGs.

Final Fantasy III (DS)- Definitely the hardest FF game that I have played/completed. No way to buy phoenix downs in the game. Level grinding doesn't produce as much exp. The last dungeon is a two hour excursion from the last available save point. This game was pretty brutal, but holy hell was it worth it when I finally beat the game. This one actually took a little over 10 years to play. I was on and off with it for a long time. I finally jumped back in late 2018 and finished the deed.

Final Fantasy IV (PSP)- Ok, I'll be honest here. I didn't care that much for it. For years I read up on how great the game was and it didn't do anything for me. Maybe it is my fault for getting hyped up, but it was a middle of the road game. I kind of want to give it another chance, but I am in no hurry.

Final Fantasy V (GBA)- This was easily my biggest surprise. I was a little down coming off of IV, but from the moment I started my DS I was blown away. The job system was incredibly well done. The characters were funny. Some of the settings were fun, like the shipwreck. V is definitely a game that doesn't get as much love today as other Final Fantasy games get. Luckily the new collection is giving more people a chance to play it.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES mini)- This was the last 2D game that I played. It is definitely a classic and Kefka is a genuine monster. The opera scene was magical. I did have to grind a little to get ready for the finale, but I really loved how they handled the final dungeon.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)- I had tried this once or twice before, but I never stuck with it. Since VII Remake was right around the corner, I wanted to beat this game once and for all. I did an LTTP on ERA a few years back, and I will just say that this is one of those games where you can tell 25+ years after release that it was and still is a classic.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)- I've already gone in depth about my crazy personal adventure with Final Fantasy VIII. I will just say Squall is a punk.

Final Fantasy IX (PS1)- Rounding out the PS1 trilogy, this game had a lot of charm for me. Everything from the characters to the world was done with so much love. It brought back the "fantasy" in Final Fantasy with the classic medieval setting. I am excited to check out the rumored remaster/remake when it releases.

Final Fantasy X (PS4)- I have gone in depth already about my adventures with the last boss. Hopefully one day I will fully recover from that fight. Great game overall though.

Final Fantasy XII (PS4)- I dabbled a little bit with the PS2 version many years ago, but I didn't get far past the opening city. When the PS4 version launched I picked it up and it was a great experience. This is another FF game where I did a LTTP on ERA after beating it. I did struggle a little bit early, but once I figured out the best way to level up it was a lot smoother. This seems to be one of those games that was mixed at launch, but as time has gone on it has been looked on more favorably.

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)- This is another one of those "takes five years to play" games for me. I picked it up at a Gamestop midnight release and I couldn't wait to dig it (I remember being upset with Square not announcing a collector's edition). Well the gameplay was great and the presentation remains one of the best that I have ever seen in a game. I loved all of the characters. But that story was the most confusing thing that I have ever tried to wrap my brains around. It didn't help that the game was longer than it needed to be. I think it took me 55~60 hours to beat. After putting it down a few times, I buckled up and finished the game. This is probably one of games in the franchise that I am least interested in revisiting.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)- I played this near launch. It was a fun game, but it didn't feel quite like a Final Fantasy game. The dev history with the game was fascinating for those who were around back then (this was originally Versus XII). I remember watching the prologue film before and I'm still not sure if that helped or not lol. I did complete the exp trick I saw on GAF where I just kept doing side-quests non-stop for several days and then stayed at a hotel to get double exp. After that the game was pretty much a breeze, even if I still had ~80% of the story to go lol. I lost my save when transferring my saves to a HDD before getting a PS5 so if I went back for DLC I would have to start over.

I believe my completion order was I -> II -> XIII -> XV -> XII -> III -> VII -> IV -> VIII -> V -> IX -> VI -> X

So there it is, my long and somewhat boring history with the franchise. Even today this series is still as popular and impactful as it ever was. Final Fantasy is without a doubt one of my favorite franchises of all time. It took well over a decade to accomplish this feet, and there was probably a seven year period where I only finished XIII and XV. To be honest, I really didn't restart this mission until mid-2018 with XII. With the exception my beating III, my favorite accomplishment would probably be completing the PS1 trilogy in its original form on my PS2. I didn't use the boosts that more recent versions offered. I beat those games just like they done were years and years ago.

What is next? Well, besides XVI, I do want to play more spinoffs. The only spinoff that I have finished to this point was XIII-2, which i liked much better than XIII. I have a copy of Tactics PS1 and War of the Lions PSP. I bought the latter close to 15 years ago, but never played it. X-2 is up there as well, especially since X is obviously fresh in my head. Also, the pixel remaster collection is around the corner. While there is no way I will replay the whole series (at least for a long time), I will mess around with all of them to varying degrees.

Lastly, I've been curious about XIV, but I've never bought an MMO subscription. I might give it a shot at one point, but from what I understand, the game is a huge time sink lol.

Last edited:
FFVIII intro act: hey this stat change/effect works great against this enemy! Oh wait you actually want the draw material for this story teased effect? Shrug nah, good luck.
Thank goodness for hd port cheese cheats. I look forward to messing with the card game more when I have a usable deck

So as I mentioned with my completion of Final Fantasy X, I have now completed every single mainline, single player Final Fantasy game. This has been a long time goal of mine. I first learned of the series when I was 11 or 12 spending the night at my cousin's house. I brought over my PS2 and he wanted to rent Final Fantasy X. We went to the local blockbuster (as your parents) and then I spent half the night watching him play. Now while that part sucked, I was blown away by the opening cinematic and my interest was peaked. Now being a child with the attention span of a squirrel, I naturally went on to ignore the series for several more years. Late in high school I began hearing people chattering about Square and Sony remaking Final Fantasy VII. Well, I started doing more research online and decided to start playing around with the series. Since I was a sucker for starting at the beginning, I bought FF I for PSP and away we went....

Final Fantasy I (PSP)- My very first adventure in the world of Square. I remember starting this up for the first time at high school waiting for club to start. I think it was late 2007/early 2008? I was hooked from the start. This is probably the one game that I used a guide the least on, which led to alot of time just randomly jumping around in the airship. By the end, my team was pretty strong, but the last boss still took forever.

Final Fantasy II (PSP)- This is the game that I probably remember the least out of any games in the series. I started playing it shortly after I. From what I remember, it was more of the same in gameplay, but the setting was more elaborate. It seems to be one of the least favorite/memorable on people's lists, but that probably goes for most pre-1990 JRPGs.

Final Fantasy III (DS)- Definitely the hardest FF game that I have played/completed. No way to buy phoenix downs in the game. Level grinding doesn't produce as much exp. The last dungeon is a two hour excursion from the last available save point. This game was pretty brutal, but holy hell was it worth it when I finally beat the game. This one actually took a little over 10 years to play. I was on and off with it for a long time. I finally jumped back in late 2018 and finished the deed.

Final Fantasy IV (PSP)- Ok, I'll be honest here. I didn't care that much for it. For years I read up on how great the game was and it didn't do anything for me. Maybe it is my fault for getting hyped up, but it was a middle of the road game. I kind of want to give it another chance, but I am in no hurry.

Final Fantasy V (GBA)- This was easily my biggest surprise. I was a little down coming off of IV, but from the moment I started my DS I was blown away. The job system was incredibly well done. The characters were funny. Some of the settings were fun, like the shipwreck. V is definitely a game that doesn't get as much love today as other Final Fantasy games get. Luckily the new collection is giving more people a chance to play it.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES mini)- This was the last 2D game that I played. It is definitely a classic and Kefka is a genuine monster. The opera scene was magical. I did have to grind a little to get ready for the finale, but I really loved how they handled the final dungeon.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)- I had tried this once or twice before, but I never stuck with it. Since VII Remake was right around the corner, I wanted to beat this game once and for all. I did an LTTP on ERA a few years back, and I will just say that this is one of those games where you can tell 25+ years after release that it was and still is a classic.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)- I've already gone in depth about my crazy personal adventure with Final Fantasy VIII. I will just say Squall is a punk.

Final Fantasy IX (PS1)- Rounding out the PS1 trilogy, this game had a lot of charm for me. Everything from the characters to the world was done with so much love. It brought back the "fantasy" in Final Fantasy with the classic medieval setting. I am excited to check out the rumored remaster/remake when it releases.

Final Fantasy X (PS4)- I have gone in depth already about my adventures with the last boss. Hopefully one day I will fully recover from that fight. Great game overall though.

Final Fantasy XII (PS4)- I dabbled a little bit with the PS2 version many years ago, but I didn't get far past the opening city. When the PS4 version launched I picked it up and it was a great experience. This is another FF game where I did a LTTP on ERA after beating it. I did struggle a little bit early, but once I figured out the best way to level up it was a lot smoother. This seems to be one of those games that was mixed at launch, but as time has gone on it has been looked on more favorably.

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)- This is another one of those "takes five years to play" games for me. I picked it up at a Gamestop midnight release and I couldn't wait to dig it (I remember being upset with Square not announcing a collector's edition). Well the gameplay was great and the presentation remains one of the best that I have ever seen in a game. I loved all of the characters. But that story was the most confusing thing that I have ever tried to wrap my brains around. It didn't help that the game was longer than it needed to be. I think it took me 55~60 hours to beat. After putting it down a few times, I buckled up and finished the game. This is probably one of games in the franchise that I am least interested in revisiting.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)- I played this near launch. It was a fun game, but it didn't feel quite like a Final Fantasy game. The dev history with the game was fascinating for those who were around back then (this was originally Versus XII). I remember watching the prologue film before and I'm still not sure if that helped or not lol. I did complete the exp trick I saw on GAF where I just kept doing side-quests non-stop for several days and then stayed at a hotel to get double exp. After that the game was pretty much a breeze, even if I still had ~80% of the story to go lol. I lost my save when transferring my saves to a HDD before getting a PS5 so if I went back for DLC I would have to start over.

I believe my completion order was I -> II -> XIII -> XV -> XII -> III -> VII -> IV -> VIII -> V -> IX -> VI -> X

So there it is, my long and somewhat boring history with the franchise. Even today this series is still as popular and impactful as it ever was. Final Fantasy is without a doubt one of my favorite franchises of all time. It took well over a decade to accomplish this feet, and there was probably a seven year period where I only finished XIII and XV. To be honest, I really didn't restart this mission until mid-2018 with XII. With the exception my beating III, my favorite accomplishment would probably be completing the PS1 trilogy in its original form on my PS2. I didn't use the boosts that more recent versions offered. I beat those games just like they done were years and years ago.

What is next? Well, besides XVI, I do want to play more spinoffs. The only spinoff that I have finished to this point was XIII-2, which i liked much better than XIII. I have a copy of Tactics PS1 and War of the Lions PSP. I bought the latter close to 15 years ago, but never played it. X-2 is up there as well, especially since X is obviously fresh in my head. Also, the pixel remaster collection is around the corner. While there is no way I will replay the whole series (at least for a long time), I will mess around with all of them to varying degrees.

Lastly, I've been curious about XIV, but I've never bought an MMO subscription. I might give it a shot at one point, but from what I understand, the game is a huge time sink lol.
this is a great write-up and i really enjoyed reading it. playing every mainline single-player Final Fantasy really is a monstrous, seemingly impossible task!

on to XVI!

Thabkfully my post ending octopath 2 depression ended with Ryza 3. Godddam the music, and of course the game is a blast to play. My only issue so far is the text size but everything else is an improvment over the previous games.

Also working on Atelier ST, considering also Marie is coming, and well we need more love for the Atelier series

Thabkfully my post ending octopath 2 depression ended with Ryza 3. Godddam the music, and of course the game is a blast to play. My only issue so far is the text size but everything else is an improvment over the previous games.

Also working on Atelier ST, considering also Marie is coming, and well we need more love for the Atelier series
I really need to get back to Ryza at some point. I enjoyed Ryza 1 quite a bit, I was just kind of iffy on the battle system (wasn't a huge fan of the realtime elements). From what I remember I was around halfway through the game. When I eventually catch up my backlog and want to try the series again, should I go back and attempt to finish Ryza 1, or could I jump straight to Ryza 2?

I really need to get back to Ryza at some point. I enjoyed Ryza 1 quite a bit, I was just kind of iffy on the battle system (wasn't a huge fan of the realtime elements). From what I remember I was around halfway through the game. When I eventually catch up my backlog and want to try the series again, should I go back and attempt to finish Ryza 1, or could I jump straight to Ryza 2?
I think it would be better to finish Ryza 1, it's not that long and most of the important things story related happens in the last third of the game. It also has the issue where the sequels added more things and QoL elements so the first one doesn't feel right.

You can always put is on easy really if you just want to get the story, because so far for Ryza 3, knowing what happened in Ryza 1 is more important than Ryza 2 (really for 2 the only thing that matters is Patty and her relationship with Tao, and Bos not being an asshole anymore)

I think it would be better to finish Ryza 1, it's not that long and most of the important things story related happens in the last third of the game. It also has the issue where the sequels added more things and QoL elements so the first one doesn't feel right.

You can always put is on easy really if you just want to get the story, because so far for Ryza 3, knowing what happened in Ryza 1 is more important than Ryza 2 (really for 2 the only thing that matters is Patty and her relationship with Tao, and Bos not being an asshole anymore)
The trilogy is one of my biggest backlog items I want to get to, so I'll do it at some point! But not likely for a while. It'd be a good summertime game later on when things have calmed down more. I definitely remember the chill summer vibe the first game had.

I made a lot of progress in Paper Mario: Color Splash over the weekend. At this point I am near the end of chapter/big paint star 5.

The gameplay gets flack because it isn't that traditional turn-based with the natural progression system from older games, but I've found it to be alright. It leans 100% into the Gamepad functionality, which is fun until your battery dies. Coloring the blank spots in each level is neat, but getting 100% is very difficult. Each level is showing as 95%~99% complete for me, but I only have half a dozen levels with 100% colored. There are more than enough coins and ink to go around to where I have never been in danger of running out of either. That has made the game much easier than it's predecessors IMO. While I'm still sour on cards after using stickers in the 3DS game, I don't outright hate them.

The levels are diverse and have different obstacles. The train sequence in chapter 5 is awesome as it is tying multiple levels together. The various tasks that come with each level are fun. One issue I have is that some levels with multiple stars to collect are essentially "just redo the level and reach the end again". I'll get into it a little more down below, but it makes the game feel rushed. Anyway, I just finished the Overcooked level last night and it was fantastic!

One of my bigger let downs is Port Prysm, the hub world. Don't get me wrong, it is a charming little town like before, but after you fix the bridge early on, the place is "finished". TTYD and SPM had hub worlds that expanded with new places to unlock and discover as you continued playing their respective games. I don't mind having a map select option for each levels because dummies like me can miss the obvious points that lead to the next chapter, but a little more exploration would have been nice.

The museum is a neat addition to the 100% effort, but I find it to be slightly flawed. There are special cards that you can collect in each world, but some of them need to be used at various points in the game. That means if I wanted to collect all them for the museum, there are several that require me to redo the level again. I can think of a couple of them that require a lot more work so that takes away from the "fun" aspect a little bit. Not the worst thing in the world, but a small pet peeve.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of new or diverse characters. It is basically Mario and a million toads. The bosses are all Koopalings so there is nothing new or special there. Heck, I have barely seen Luigi to this point. That leads me to believe more that the game was rushed. Now it is no secret that when this game released during the Fall of 2016, the Wii-U was a dead-console walking. Any project that was far along in production was probably given the "just wrap it up" decision, probably all the way back to the beginning of 2015. Anyway, while this game has fun moments, it keeps coming up just short for me. Most stages are 1 and done, stages that have multiple stars are usually repeats, hub world is brief compared to earlier games, Toad is just reused throughout the game. I understand the circumstances that likely went into development here, but it does feel like a let down.

Now, despite that negative paragraph, I can assure you that I am still enjoying my time. I just see this as a 7~7.5 game that could have been a full point higher. Hopefully I will finish it this week at some point.

I made a lot of progress in Paper Mario: Color Splash over the weekend. At this point I am near the end of chapter/big paint star 5.

The gameplay gets flack because it isn't that traditional turn-based with the natural progression system from older games, but I've found it to be alright. It leans 100% into the Gamepad functionality, which is fun until your battery dies. Coloring the blank spots in each level is neat, but getting 100% is very difficult. Each level is showing as 95%~99% complete for me, but I only have half a dozen levels with 100% colored. There are more than enough coins and ink to go around to where I have never been in danger of running out of either. That has made the game much easier than it's predecessors IMO. While I'm still sour on cards after using stickers in the 3DS game, I don't outright hate them.

The levels are diverse and have different obstacles. The train sequence in chapter 5 is awesome as it is tying multiple levels together. The various tasks that come with each level are fun. One issue I have is that some levels with multiple stars to collect are essentially "just redo the level and reach the end again". I'll get into it a little more down below, but it makes the game feel rushed. Anyway, I just finished the Overcooked level last night and it was fantastic!

One of my bigger let downs is Port Prysm, the hub world. Don't get me wrong, it is a charming little town like before, but after you fix the bridge early on, the place is "finished". TTYD and SPM had hub worlds that expanded with new places to unlock and discover as you continued playing their respective games. I don't mind having a map select option for each levels because dummies like me can miss the obvious points that lead to the next chapter, but a little more exploration would have been nice.

The museum is a neat addition to the 100% effort, but I find it to be slightly flawed. There are special cards that you can collect in each world, but some of them need to be used at various points in the game. That means if I wanted to collect all them for the museum, there are several that require me to redo the level again. I can think of a couple of them that require a lot more work so that takes away from the "fun" aspect a little bit. Not the worst thing in the world, but a small pet peeve.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of new or diverse characters. It is basically Mario and a million toads. The bosses are all Koopalings so there is nothing new or special there. Heck, I have barely seen Luigi to this point. That leads me to believe more that the game was rushed. Now it is no secret that when this game released during the Fall of 2016, the Wii-U was a dead-console walking. Any project that was far along in production was probably given the "just wrap it up" decision, probably all the way back to the beginning of 2015. Anyway, while this game has fun moments, it keeps coming up just short for me. Most stages are 1 and done, stages that have multiple stars are usually repeats, hub world is brief compared to earlier games, Toad is just reused throughout the game. I understand the circumstances that likely went into development here, but it does feel like a let down.

Now, despite that negative paragraph, I can assure you that I am still enjoying my time. I just see this as a 7~7.5 game that could have been a full point higher. Hopefully I will finish it this week at some point.
i appreciate the write-up. how’s the music? the music is one of the very best parts of the TOK.

i appreciate the write-up. how’s the music? the music is one of the very best parts of the TOK.
I know I'm not the one you're replying to, but I'll take the opportunity to post some Color Splash music anyways. While I don't think its soundtrack quite reaches the heights of Origami King, it's still very good and in a similar style. A few of my favorites:

Another trailer for SAO Last Recollection. I honestly got surprised by Alicyzation Lycoris, despite it graphic issues in switch, found it a very decent action jrpg (and cheap), with more freedom than other similar games like tales (though I haven played any tales post 2018 so I don't know if it improved)

With Ib launching earlier this year, are we finally at the point where all the major RPGMaker EB-like / Undertale inspiration titles are finally on Switch except for the LISA games?

The story in Labyrinth of Galleria is really something else. I thought I had an idea of where it was going, and now I still do for bits and pieces but overall? I have NO clue. The way the story is being told is pretty incredible, and I completely understand why most people who have played it talk about how cool it is, but also can't really explain why. You just... can't, without spoilers, which would really hurt this kind of game and how it's telling its story.

Unfortunately it leaves it in a bit of a weird spot, where you kind of have to trust it for a while gameplay-wise and go along for the ride, even when it takes quite a long while to really get its hooks in you beyond the basic gameplay loop. And the basic gameplay loop is still fun, but it's also a bit, well, basic! I can definitely see people bouncing off the game after 10-15 hours or so if it doesn't click with them completely, but before the craziness really kicks in.

But I'm completely hooked and can't wait to keep going and get some answers.

I recently finally got back around to playing Trails of Cold Steel IV!

I hope to, if my attention span lets me, finish the game on time for when Reverie releases!
I'd love to for once be on time for a trails release since it's a new one for the West!

Up to 31 nominated Switch rpgs now. Front runners are on 27 yeahs so far
Seeing XC2 and XC3 tied for first with DQXIS VERY close behind:

It's FFVI Anniversary! (or III for those who lived the moment). You know squenix, it would be a great moment to drop a certain release date of a certain group of games that star with Final and end with Fantasy...

I had a long drive today so I was thinking about RPGs (as one does), specifically about how super-long RPGs have the almost-unique ability to give you a certain nostalgia and fondness for themselves while you’re still playing them, weird as that sounds.

Let me explain a bit better: I know 100+ hour RPGs aren’t for everyone, but something they do better than almost anything else I can think of is let the player reflect on the long journey they’ve taken and remember fondly back to earlier parts of the game. For example: You’re near the end of Xenoblade Chronicles and you end up going back to some of the areas you last explored when you were only 5-10 hours into the game like Colony 9 or Tephra Cave, and the memories and feelings just rush back to you - you remember how far you’ve come, how grand a journey you’ve been on with these characters, and how small and simple things were back then at the beginning. Maybe you even have a touch of nostalgia for it, already. Same thing goes for games like Persona 5, when you’re wandering around Yongen-Jaya and saying goodbye to all the NPCs and characters you’ve spent the entire 120 hour game with, or Trails of Cold Steel/Zero/Sky/etc. when you get to the point that your little ragtag band of characters are now big important players in the world, and even the super-powerful big names know about them and even have to show them respect.

There’s a certain sense of reflection and remembrance that goes with this that I think is very rare in games. Not that other games can’t or don’t do similar things, but IMO nothing hits quite as hard or the same as when a 100+ hour game does it and you’ve been playing it for weeks if not months or more to go from the beginning to the end. The only other thing I can think of that often pulls off something similar is either long-running TV shows or many-books-long series.

But even then, the fact that those take multiple volumes or individual pieces to do so shows just how cool it is when a game can pull it off within its own game. And as a bonus the Trails series often manages it both in its own games AND as part of a larger series whole!

Now such long games definitely have flaws and problems as well, but I just think it’s pretty wonderful when they can do something like this so effectively that few other things in the medium can pull off.

Okay that’s my long ramble over!

Back
Top Bottom