• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I finished Breath of Fire! Definitely glad I played it to see it all for myself and there were some solid stretches and cool ideas (character fusion in particular was rad), but I don’t think overall I’d recommend it. Definitely a little too loosely sketched at times and there’s too much combat with the high encounter rate.

I hadn’t posted in a few days as I was focused on beating it, but want to share some cool stuff from this stretch. First there was one last thing I remembered from watching my brother play, but only vividly until I saw it. There’s this tower that controls the weather in the world and after you get past the first part there’s a handful of virtually empty floors that are all one biome like grassy fields, a desert, sky, and space. Just looks cool. There was also a very cool boss fight against this super pixelated guy and every time you hit him he comes more into focus and he alternates between being vulnerable from physical attacks into magical attacks so you have to thread the needle to keep him where you can deal the most damage.

The fight against Zog was definitely the toughest in the game as my party got wiped out except for Karn who had his Puka fusion active. This was interesting in that I hit the limits of healing to get to this point (I also never grinded so my base health was low), but Puka being the fusion of four(!) characters had an obscene amount of HP and just could not be killed. I was playing on NSO so I rewinded when I killed Zog and then spent a few turns reviving everyone to make sure everyone got XP. This was not needed ultimately especially as the final dungeon was a joke with Ryu’s final Dragon. I tend to horde items when I play RPGs, so I was surprised to learn the basic Cure item you can buy in stores actually restores people to full health. Ryu’s final dragon at 999 HP was thus unstoppable as bosses at most could deal like 100 damage in a turn to all party members. Even if you only had one character with high HP then, like I did with Puka fighting Zog or any fight using Ryu’s Agni, only being able to deal 100 damage is nothing. I threw on autobattle for these final fights. I don’t plan on playing Breath of Fire again, but interesting to think about how my strategies could have been different at throughout the game knowing full heal items were just readily there all along. Definitely would have felt less tension anyway lol. One final thing, I didn’t know Ted Woolsey of Chrono Trigger / FFVI fame translated this game. Makes sense since Square released this back in the day. Shame he didn’t have much to work with, but I mentioned it prior some of those item names with limited letters were clever. I also dug an eyeball monster near the end being called ICU lol.

With Breath of Fire done I’ll be bouncing around games this weekend until I settle on a new RPG. I picked up Fire Emblem Engage which I’m eager to start and Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden this week. I also want to continue clearing out my final Wii U Virtual Console games to fully retire the console which is my big goal this year. I’m down to ten now. Two aren’t RPGs, Donkey Kong 64 and Mario Golf, but the other eight are: Breath of Fire II, the Earthbounds, the Golden Suns, Fire Emblem, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Not sure how I’m planning to tackle them all exactly, but I’ll probably roll into Breath of Fire II next or Fire Emblem GBA.

Trying to decide if I’m starting Nier automa, P3P, Digimon hackers memory or Ryza myself. Or Breath of Fire 2 on nso

Was hoping to play more games this weekend than I ended up getting to, but I did start Breath of Fire II at least and it has been doing a great job hooking me already. The premise is interesting in this one in that it is set 500 years after the first one and follows another boy/man named Ryu living peacefully with his family. Instead of an evil army invading, this time a godly being seemingly rips Ryu out of his world and erases his family out of existence. Ten years later the adventure begins proper. One of the big towns from the first game has already popped up again which was neat to see.

So my big two problems with the first game were too much rigid combat and the story being thin, I’m happy to say already Breath of Fire II is an improvement. There is generally an even higher encounter rate which is annoying, but when you are the right level combat is a bit more interesting. Characters all have a unique skill (though they seemingly all suck lol) and all of them have access to magic which is neat and has proved useful. You also can see enemy heath bars now for repeat enemies which is especially nice because my favorite part of combat is that both you and your enemies exchange tons of counter hits back and forth. It makes HP so swingy for both sides and sees you shifting priorities more often. At least in the first 20% or so of the game, leveling up matters a lot so when you do break that balance thankfully you can throw on autobattle more confidently which I don’t mind since again there’s a ton of combat. The second major issue from the original, a too thin story, is largely addressed because your party members and the NPCs you meet have regular dialogue and all have distinct personalities now, yay! I have six party members already (you get people quickly now which is very nice) and I think Katt is my early favorite. Two other positives I have to call out is that while you still can only walk in this game the default speed is so much more pleasant now and while the menus are still a tad clunky they are generally an improvement. Those last two really help make the moment to moment feel much better compared to Breath of Fire.

I’ll definitely write more later, but I have to note one very weird thing going on so far before I end this post. Nearly every location has a restroom or make shift one and you’ll just be exploring a random house/pub/inn/cave whatever and suddenly you’ll find the one restroom in wherever you are (most other extra rooms are treasure rooms and there is no sign before you walk in). Most of these just have a faucet with overflowing water and the only reason you’d identify these as bathrooms is that you frequently barge in on people in them. There’s even a guy who lives in a bathroom (who I learned you can recruit later??) and one of your six options for naming a wanted man’s son as part of the main quest was toilet. Why is this game so obsessed with bathrooms when thankfully they can’t even depict them? Like I’ve had some fun JRPG adventures so far like rescuing a pet, surviving a crooked coliseum, infiltrating a thieves den, and rescuing kids and citizens who all fell down a well (I’m still trying to figure out exactly what happened there with some conflicting stories lol), yet the recurring theme overshadowing this so far is bathrooms. Like at first it was funny like oh weird another one, but now it has become distracting lol. Hopefully this just becomes a weird footnote in the game, but uh signs don’t look good.

I’ll definitely write more later, but I have to note one very weird thing going on so far before I end this post. Nearly every location has a restroom or make shift one and you’ll just be exploring a random house/pub/inn/cave whatever and suddenly you’ll find the one restroom in wherever you are (most other extra rooms are treasure rooms and there is no sign before you walk in). Most of these just have a faucet with overflowing water and the only reason you’d identify these as bathrooms is that you frequently barge in on people in them. There’s even a guy who lives in a bathroom (who I learned you can recruit later??) and one of your six options for naming a wanted man’s son as part of the main quest was toilet. Why is this game so obsessed with bathrooms when thankfully they can’t even depict them?
I'm wondering if there was some cultural thing going on around the time this was in development in the mid-90s? Like Live A Live has the whole toilet thing in the Near Future chapter and Majora's Mask has the dude trapped in the outhouse hole (which was later reused in Oracle of Ages).

I'm wondering if there was some cultural thing going on around the time this was in development in the mid-90s? Like Live A Live has the whole toilet thing in the Near Future chapter and Majora's Mask has the dude trapped in the outhouse hole (which was later reused in Oracle of Ages).
No idea. A lot of games both Japanese and Western feature bathrooms or toilets, especially in the 90’s, but I’ve never seen one make it such a reoccurring focal point. For the Japan side of it anyway, one of the first ones here has a reference to Hanako the toilet ghost.

Forspoken reviews dropped:

I’m definitely playing it despite a mixed to negative reception since I liked the demo, so I’ll probably be posting about it here.

No idea. A lot of games both Japanese and Western feature bathrooms or toilets, especially in the 90’s, but I’ve never seen one make it such a reoccurring focal point.
Earthbound also had a handful of toilet gags in the first four towns before you start moving away from civilization

Kinda wondering if we need a toilet.games project similar to moai.games now 😅

Want to give another Breath of Fire II update since I played a ton today. I basically did Jean the Frog’s entire story, proved Bow’s innocence, and woke up Grandpa the whale so I have my boat essentially. I really liked the Frog’s castle scenario since it was much more involved than anything in the first game though the music was grating and looped too quickly lol. I’ll probably stick with the story for now, but I’m happy the world is finally open and with Jean in the party you can skip a lot of combat on land and finally have access to Warp. Basically QOL shot up a bunch all at once including with what I want to talk about most.

Over the course of the early game you are slowly building up a town called Township. As part of the main quest you have to choose the carpenter you want and you must recruit the old grandma who handles character fusion. The latter is different compared to Breath of Fire since this time you have to recruit characters in the world and these characters fuse on top of your main characters rather than set party members fusing into one. I’m still unlocking these characters so I don’t have many options yet, but I read your characters get new forms with new abilities with certain combinations which sounds cool. What I can enjoy right now though is once the carpenter builds some houses you can recruit specific NPCs (like the toilet guy I mentioned in my last post lol) to move into your houses and they’ll provide you with some kind of benefit that wildly range in quality. The game doesn’t tell you who does what and each house can only pull from a select batch of NPCs (some you might not be able to reach right away). I’m only planning to play Breath of Fire II once so I definitely looked online and eagerly studied all my options carefully to pick out who I wanted most. The two guides I was looking at didn’t recommend Hans in House 5, but I realized he paired very well with the carpenter I chose prior because he sells two very specific ingredients you can use for cooking to make Gold Bars (lol) and Power Food that raises your strength stat. If I didn’t mention it prior, money is super tight in Breath of Fire II so far and suddenly I have access to an endless supply of money and a way to max my strength stat. I’ll definitely sleep on how much I want to take advantage of this, but I basically just broke the game which is cool. I’m really impressed all of these systems are in a SNES RPG and seemingly stretch across the full game.

Before I end, I have to give a toilet/bathroom update. I knew there was going to be more and yup there was and now we are getting into ludicrous territory. As part of the main quest you have to enter a toilet in this secret mountain restaurant (that previously tried to trick you into BBQing yourself of course) to retrieve a ring someone accidentally dropped down it. When you enter the toilet you discover a big cave underneath (?) thankfully devoid of enemies. A ways in there’s actually a lake in there that the ring rolled into. In a separate part of the main quest, you eventually discover the princess of the Frog kingdom converted her bathroom to include a secret elevator function for some reason that you must use to reach the big boss of the area and the castle’s treasure vault. This game is wacky. I expected entering a toilet to an extent, but I definitely did not have secret royal elevator bathroom as a possibility for where this game was headed. I want to think this was peak of this absurdity, but I have over half the game left…we’ll see.

Started a new game of Blue Dragon. I love it. Since most people seem to dislike it, I was worried it would not have aged well, but it is still like I remember it; Final Fantasy V, but with Akira Toriyama characters and a simple, charming graphic style.

Started a new game of Blue Dragon. I love it. Since most people seem to dislike it, I was worried it would not have aged well, but it is still like I remember it; Final Fantasy V, but with Akira Toriyama characters and a simple, charming graphic style.
It also has the greatest boss theme known to mankind

Played three hours of Forspoken tonight and had a good time. Dialogue complaints were definitely overblown as the weird lines are few and far between and some infamous ones from both marketing and social media work better in context. Movement is definitely my favorite part so far, which holds true from the demo. Hoping to unlock the fire magic from the demo asap, the rock magic is kinda meh but bouncing around, dodging stuff, and countering is fun. Might need to play with the difficulty, it’s a little too easy so far on normal.

Played three hours of Forspoken tonight and had a good time. Dialogue complaints were definitely overblown as the weird lines are few and far between and some infamous ones from both marketing and social media work better in context. Movement is definitely my favorite part so far, which holds true from the demo. Hoping to unlock the fire magic from the demo asap, the rock magic is kinda meh but bouncing around, dodging stuff, and countering is fun. Might need to play with the difficulty, it’s a little too easy so far on normal.
Nice! How are you finding the music so far?

Nice! How are you finding the music so far?
It’s kind of blending into the background mostly for me so far? I need to play with the sound settings a bit still. Definitely heard some cool bits here and there.

I beat Breath of Fire II tonight! Other than an obnoxious encounter rate which makes it hard to recommend, I liked this one a lot! Combat was generally more interesting than the first game and the story and characters were much more developed. The big thing I really enjoyed was definitely the town building and crafting systems as it gave you much more flexibility in how to approach the game. I discovered infinite money early which helped me craft tons of stat boosting items. I actually had max strength for my two favorite characters, Ryu and Katt, walking into the final dungeon which made it just a huge slog rather than a colossal slog. Katt has the highest agility to begin with and by boosting Ryu’s a bit they usually went first in most encounters which sped up the game tremendously. I rolled with Nina for my third character, but sadly magic is kind of weak in this game (thankfully I taught her ChopChop a 0 AP spell that does fixed 50-70 damage which kept her more relevant as there is a surprising amount of enemies with like 5HP but perfect defense). My fourth character slot actually changed up a bit across the game. I thought Sten was going to be my guy, then I switched to Spar and had them in their Sprite form which gave them a ton of AP for both healing and Missile use (the best spell), but I ended the game actually using Bow with his amazing healing spells and his one hit kill ability (definitely the best unique ability in the game). Breath of Fire II is definitely a game where you want to take advantage of every tool at your disposal, especially because of that obnoxious encounter rate I mentioned that drains your resources heavily (sometimes you can’t even walk two(!) steps without another random battle!) and some tough bosses that can even tear through your best party members in like two good hits. I got distracted talking about my party for a bit, but my favorite reward for building up Township all the way is of course eventually you can make it fly which is super cool because you can park your home base anywhere in the world like say monster island where you get tons of XP from giant monsters which is cool since you can now easily take advantage of free full heals or Guntz which has one of the best item shops for crafting items and a storage box. By having your town parked there it makes walking back and forth to buy and transport crafting items painless. Before I end here, I was happy to find the weird toilet obsession thankfully disappeared in the more serious back half of the game except for one last toilet you have to jump in and navigate its cave to escape a dire situation and uh a shoutout of sorts to the “toilet man” in the credits. Weird.

While I’m looking forward to playing Breath of Fire III and IV down the road, for now I’m going to be continuing with my goal to wrap up my final Wii U Virtual Console games this year and now I’m down to my last nine. Up next for me is either Earthbound Beginnings or Fire Emblem GBA which I’ll juggle alongside Forspoken.

Last edited:
I decided I’m rolling with Earthbound Beginnings for my next RPG. I’m fairly close to getting my first proper party member so I’m still early in. Similar to Breath of Fire, the original Earthbound was a game I mostly watched my brother play growing up and I never played too much of it myself. I kept supporting rereleases and did buy Beginnings on Wii U, but never played much of them since I was never quite in the mood for them. So in some ways this is my first Earthbound game.

I don’t have too much to say thus far, but I’ll still share a bit. My favorite part so far is the music especially the main town theme and one of the funky battle tracks used for most enemies. My biggest surprise thus far was Magicant since I best know it from Smash Bros and had some expectations for it from there and I believe iirc it is in Earthbound as well. It functions in a way beyond what I expected as an alternate map you can teleport to at anytime to essentially manage your characters (you can get health refills, buy all the armor in the game, trade out items, and more)and is both bigger and smaller than I expected as a result. It also is heavily tied to the big quest right now to collect all of the songs in the world. It’s especially cool for an NES game. Speaking of that, this game is simple, but also feels generally very good. Menus are snappy enough and sprinting feels great (especially after both Breath of Fires). Sometimes the encounter rate gets extra gnarly, but I noticed if you use the talk command enemies disperse for a bit which is weird but useful. My only real complaint so far is the very limited inventory space since Ninten can only hold eight items which gets eaten up quickly by key items. I’m guessing when I get party members I can give them stuff which will help a ton.

Yea, the limited inventory is pretty restrictive in the Mother/Earthbound games but once you get more party members it becomes a little more manageable. I think that's a restriction by being a DQ clone at the very heart of the series.

The encounter rate can be pretty offputting but that was kinda the rule for that vintage of JRPG. Just gotta play it safe!

There is a Magicant in Earthbound but it's different and serves a very different purpose from the first game's "home base"

I've been pretty quiet in this thread but the RPG deluge of 2023 is about to start, so this is going to be fun! Some bigger games will likely mostly stick to their own topics like Engage has, but a lot of the smaller/more niche ones I'll probably talk about here. I think I'll have finished Engage by the time the next games start to roll around

I've been pretty quiet in this thread but the RPG deluge of 2023 is about to start, so this is going to be fun! Some bigger games will likely mostly stick to their own topics like Engage has, but a lot of the smaller/more niche ones I'll probably talk about here. I think I'll have finished Engage by the time the next games start to roll around
I’m still buried under the deluge from last year, let alone the oncoming one :D

YEah I was worried as would have to jugle between octopath 2 and ryza 3, but fortunately Ryza 3 got pushed to march. So the plan is to finish FE Engage right now

I've just spanked out A LOT of RPGs in order to get me through the long stretches of dadmin when on baby monitoring duty. So, all physicals, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and I'll be grabbing 1 before starting that), Persona 5, Crisis Core. I have my eyes on The World NEO, Harvestella, Monster Hunter Stories, Diofield Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Octopath (can anybody tell yet if you can skip 1 or not), Triangle Strategy, Tactics Ogre, Witcher 3, Bravely Default II, SMTV, Three Houses - again trying to buy on cart where possible. I've also got Valkyria Chronicles 4 that I should get back in to, plus maybe finally getting the energy to go through FFX-2.

Just looking at that, it is an absolute buffet if you just like this one type of game! I've grabbed demos of the things I haven't bought so far to scope out later.

Just looking at that, it is an absolute buffet if you just like this one type of game! I've grabbed demos of the things I haven't bought so far to scope out later.

Yeah, the feast continues for us JRPG fans. To think there was a time in my teenage years when the genre seemed to be slowing down and disappearing (or more accurately changing) and now we have so many to pick from of all types!

Yeah, the feast continues for us JRPG fans. To think there was a time in my teenage years when the genre seemed to be slowing down and disappearing (or more accurately changing) and now we have so many to pick from of all types!

I remember the dark early PS3 days. I mean what did we have? White Knight Chronicles? The incredibly middle ground phase where all games came out with titles like Discovery Of Discoverers and all looked so indistinct and bland?

Now we've even got a farming sim vs. Final Fantasy mash up to scratch a super bespoke itch!

My mind is wondering. Crisis Core managed to cram down and fit on a Switch. I wonder if Square might be able to cram Remake down? Although, knowing their form, I would expect a Cloud (aha) version at some point. If only to continually troll anybody who owns an Xbox (aka me) thinking "surely this year it will come across".

Yeah. Even if you manage to get through all the big ones, there’s so many excellent smaller ones too. I’ve got Rise of the Third Power and Chained Echoes that I’ve been waiting to start for ages now. The range of rpgs on everything is almost impossible to keep up with unless your interests within the genre are really, really specific at this point. Waiting on Sea of Stars and Eiyuden Chronicle later this year, almost as much as Octopath II. The Dragon Quest 3 2DHD remake will be another day one pick-up for me too.

I remember the dark early PS3 days. I mean what did we have? White Knight Chronicles? The incredibly middle ground phase where all games came out with titles like Discovery Of Discoverers and all looked so indistinct and bland?

Now we've even got a farming sim vs. Final Fantasy mash up to scratch a super bespoke itch!

My mind is wondering. Crisis Core managed to cram down and fit on a Switch. I wonder if Square might be able to cram Remake down? Although, knowing their form, I would expect a Cloud (aha) version at some point. If only to continually troll anybody who owns an Xbox (aka me) thinking "surely this year it will come across".
Those PS3 days are when I pretty much just abandoned home consoles and stuck with the portables. I remember picking up a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles and Star Ocean 4, loving the former and the combat of the latter (the less said about SO4’s characters and script the better). But after that it felt like a desert following the PS2. White Knight Chronicles I had high hopes for but it just felt boring to me despite the concept being really cool. I liked the WRPGs way more than the JRPGs on PS3.

The DS had stacks of cool JRPGs, Radiant Historia is still one of my favourites. Atlus got me addicted to dungeon crawls too.

Valkyria Chronicles

The one shining point of that era for me. Pre-trophies too, would have really benefitted from those early trophy days!

Thinking back, my favourite games of the PS3 era were pretty much devoid of jRPGs. Only Oblivion and Fallout really would have got a look in the RPG world. I didn't dip out to handhelds, I ended up going onto PC.

I’m still buried under the deluge from last year, let alone the oncoming one :D
I still have to finish Chained Echoes, Triangle Strategy and the Nier and Persona 5 ports before I even move on to Fire Emblem Engage. Part of me loves all the quality RPG options we have available, and another part of me is just in constant choice paralysis.

Octopath (can anybody tell yet if you can skip 1 or not)
Octopath Traveler II is a new, standalone experience by the way. It's up to you to decide whether you want to skip the first game or jump straight into the second though, as II looks to be quite a bit more refined, both mechanically and technically, meaning going back to I could prove a little disappointing.

That said I loved the first one a little too much; I'm not the best person to ask whether you should skip it or not. I'd be too biased ;P

The range of rpgs on everything is almost impossible to keep up with unless your interests within the genre are really, really specific at this point.
Yep. No chance for anybody outside of the people who work in the industry too keep up with all of the RPGs that come out these days ahah

Edit: I'd say it's not an awful thing either. Sure, you might miss something you would've liked, loved even, but it's better to be spoiled for choice than struggling to get by, practicing self-restraint and decision making are positives in my book as well. We're all going to die anyway

Last edited:
Octopath Traveler II is a new, standalone experience by the way. It's up to you to decide whether you want to skip the first game or jump straight into the second though, as II looks to be quite a bit more refined, both mechanically and technically, meaning going back to I could prove a little disappointing.

This is actually what I was hoping. I feel like OT1 broke the ground and subsequent titles have refined it better. I'd rather jump in to a standalone OT2 with no ties and benefit for the refined title, rather than have to jump in at OT1 to get the benefit from the sequel. Especially with other 2DHD titles like Triangle Strategy and Live A Live out there begging for time.

Those PS3 days are when I pretty much just abandoned home consoles and stuck with the portables. I remember picking up a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles and Star Ocean 4, loving the former and the combat of the latter (the less said about SO4’s characters and script the better). But after that it felt like a desert following the PS2. White Knight Chronicles I had high hopes for but it just felt boring to me despite the concept being really cool. I liked the WRPGs way more than the JRPGs on PS3.

The DS had stacks of cool JRPGs, Radiant Historia is still one of my favourites. Atlus got me addicted to dungeon crawls too.
PS3 was definitely pretty rough for JRPGs. I think my favorites were Tales of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, Disgaea 4, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Eternal Sonata. Wii and Xbox 360 weren’t too better off either. DS and PSP was where the party was at back then I agree.

This is actually what I was hoping. I feel like OT1 broke the ground and subsequent titles have refined it better. I'd rather jump in to a standalone OT2 with no ties and benefit for the refined title, rather than have to jump in at OT1 to get the benefit from the sequel. Especially with other 2DHD titles like Triangle Strategy and Live A Live out there begging for time.
I played both Triangle Strategy and Live A Live last year and loved them!

Just going to throw out there that Breath Of Fire III hit me at a very formative time in my life, and as such it still goes down as one of my all time favourite RPGs. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who's played the previous games. It has a great story, great sidequests (the Fishing minigame is pretty much it's own fully fleshed fishing game inside an RPG) and one of my favourite battle systems in a JRPG.

I remember the dark early PS3 days. I mean what did we have? White Knight Chronicles? The incredibly middle ground phase where all games came out with titles like Discovery Of Discoverers and all looked so indistinct and bland?.

Yeah, insane to think in that era there was a chance games like Xenoblade weren't going to be localized...

I will agree the DS was a shining spot during that dark time lol

Strange to think how far we’ve come in terms of localisation. It really wasn’t that long ago that we were wondering whether even some new entries in pretty big (for JRPGs) series like SMT or Xenoblade would even make it to either NA or Europe at all.

Not gonna lie but never saw the PS3 situatoin as bad. Yeah most of the companies focused on DS / PSP at the time, but for PS3 we had 7 atelier games (and we ar ejust reaching that mark in ps4), also that was the time were Compile Heart / idea factory experimented more (with various degrees of success / failures) and of course when Image epoch was alive tryint to chnage the jrpg (lol)

Yeah, how can anyone forget the all time classic Arc Rise Fantasia and other generic JRPGs that I forget about.
PS3 didn't even get that from Image Epoch, it got Time and Eternity. Arc Rise Fantasia was at least playable, maybe even a tad underappreciated despite its flaws.

Yeah, how can anyone forget the all time classic Arc Rise Fantasia and other generic JRPGs that I forget about.
PS3 didn't even get that from Image Epoch, it got Time and Eternity. Arc Rise Fantasia was at least playable, maybe even a tad underappreciated despite its flaws.
As someone that platinum Time and eternity I have to say.... yeah it was bad but clearly had other priorities back in the day. At least it gave us some Koshiro bangers:

Funny thing we are getting revivals on some of those titles as this year we are getting both Agarest War and Mugen Souls ports

Agarest Wars I liked the whole generations of heroes and how impacts the plot... however the games thenselves are garbage... poorly balanced and boring...

I Cheat Engined myself to the end.

Agarest Wars I liked the whole generations of heroes and how impacts the plot... however the games thenselves are garbage... poorly balanced and boring...

I Cheat Engined myself to the end.
yeah, also some of the requirements were really bad. "oh you missed this in the first generation or grinded too much? welp you fucked up, hope you enjoyed 60+ hours to get normal ending"

yeah, also some of the requirements were really bad. "oh you missed this in the first generation or grinded too much? welp you fucked up, hope you enjoyed 60+ hours to get normal ending"

Thank god I saw a Guide before I atempt to play.

The Agarest Zero had a mode that let's you play the first game without the danger of normal/bad end.

Of course when I learned it, I've already finish both 1 and Zero games.

The PS3 did give us Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which is one of my all time fave JRPGs. But yeah, it was a bit of dire times on console for the genre.

As a longtime handheld fan I'm always disappointed when people call the PS3/360/Wii era a wasteland for JRPGs when the genre was flourishing on handhelds. In fact I would say that the Switch being an amazing JRPG machine these days is because of the steps Nintendo took in cultivating a fanbase on handhelds since the GBA days.
To be fair it's not that shocking that Crisis Core could fit on the Switch since it was originally a PSP game; I'm more shocked that they remastered it in the first place.

As a longtime handheld fan I'm always disappointed when people call the PS3/360/Wii era a wasteland for JRPGs when the genre was flourishing on handhelds. In fact I would say that the Switch being an amazing JRPG machine these days is because of the steps Nintendo took in cultivating a fanbase on handhelds since the GBA days.

To be fair it's not that shocking that Crisis Core could fit on the Switch since it was originally a PSP game; I'm more shocked that they remastered it in the first place.
I was at least partially out of gaming from like 2011 - 2014, in large part because at least at first I didn't own a handheld, and the console space was doing a lot of things I didn't really care for much in those days. The two biggest things that really pulled me back in were Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) which was exactly what I had been missing so much on home consoles, and then when I finally picked up a 3DS to get Pokemon X/Y and a few months later I grabbed Shin Megami Tensei IV on a whim since I needed a new game for a work trip. Had never played anything in the series, but it blew me away and was part of a few games that really got me back into gaming in a big way.

2009 - 2014 were good ps3 jrpg years

Ni no Kuni
2 Disgaea games
3 Yakuza games (although dead souls is not that rpgish)
3d Dot Heroes
4 atelier games
2 White Knight Chronciles
AR Tonelico Qoga
Neptunia V
Tales of Xilia
Resonance of Fates
Guided Fate Paradox

Even as primary handeld user at that time I usually found something to bounce to the ps3

I'm into the Dragon Quest Trilogy collection, just started the third game.
What a classic gems, I'm loving them!

I already played the first two on GBC back in the days, but replayed and enjoyed them more right now on Switch. However, I never touched III and originally wanted to wait for the HD 2D remake, but I couldn't resist to give it a try and damn...now I want to play it!

Back
Top Bottom