• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I started valkyrie elysium yesterday. I have played so many great jrpgs lately. Diofield, Soul Hackers 2, Star Ocean 6 and now valkyrie elysium.
I feel like Diofield is a prime candidate for ‘original rpg that released but I won’t remember that it did the next time I complain about a lack of new IP in a years time’ :D

Continuing with my Falcom binge but taking a break from Trails, I have beaten Ys I and II Chronicles which I had never played before. The bump system was a bit awkward at first but it becomes a second nature really fast and Ys II made it even easier and better with diagonal attacks. The remastered soundtracks are amazing, the plot is simple enough but fun.

I gotta admit though, I wouldn't have beaten Ys II without maps, sheesh those dungeons are something else.

Now I'm playing Ys Origin, which I have played before but never bothered to play the 3rd/canon route and it's been a blast.

I was suspecting Final Fantasy XVI would be at the Game Awards since its release date was rumored to be announced next week. The game will be at the show.

Guess I'm finding out next week how long I have until I need to pick-up a PS5

Now that all my Pokémon are fully evolved, I can finally show my team in Violet! I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the ST, but I figured it would be more fitting here. I like to theme my trainer and team after some other series I got into recently, so I went with Trails in the Sky which, along with Xenoblade 3, stole all my gaming time over the Summer. I named my trainer Estelle, and named everyone on my team after characters from the first two games:

5Eh4Udc.jpg
lDswvMc.jpg
Hb08A6x.jpg

I was really disappointed in the customization of Scarlet/Violet because this is about as close as I could get her to look like Estelle. I picked Violet because I naively assumed I would be able to buy some orange clothes later on, and not that the version exclusive uniforms were all there is. I think how my trainer ended up is some kind of mix between her look in the Sky trilogy, and artwork I've seen of her in later games. I wish customization in this series wasn't so uneven, but I still think my trainer turned out cute and I like my team a lot. It also kind of worked out in the end because, while the outfit is pretty far off, one of my team members is a Violet exclusive lol.

Currently playing Ys Memories of Celceta and...yeah... I don't like this "modern Ys" at all. The plot is basically non existant and music is very repetitive so far. Apparently it gets better after visiting the 2 towns and I just got to that point so I'm still interested in the game, but yeah kinda rough so far.

Currently playing Ys Memories of Celceta and...yeah... I don't like this "modern Ys" at all. The plot is basically non existant and music is very repetitive so far. Apparently it gets better after visiting the 2 towns and I just got to that point so I'm still interested in the game, but yeah kinda rough so far.
I haven't played Celceta, only Ys 8 and 9, but at what point does Ys transition into being 'modern Ys'? I don't know enough about the older games.

I haven't played Celceta, only Ys 8 and 9, but at what point does Ys transition into being 'modern Ys'? I don't know enough about the older games.
IMO it started with Ys 7 but that game is so much better than Celceta despite being released after 7.

-Completing the map is a pain the ass since you have to literally hug the walls to get those small percentages
-You can buy items making battles easy even on higher difficulties
-Exploration doesn't reward you enough and lacks good rewards
-Skills seems like a downgrade, after 10 hours I still don't know how to unlock them, they seem random.

Headed into the end game of Xenoblade 3(I hope)! Got all the hero upgrades(had to look up 2 because they were so obtuse).

I rolled credits on Pokemon Violet last night which was the first mainline, traditional Pokemon game I finished since Silver. I loved it! It is easily my favorite game in the series. The new open world structure is the big change I’ve always wanted for the series and radically transforms how you approach it. While the world looks appealing enough (sadly often hampered by technical shortcomings), most importantly the geography is fun to traverse especially as you learn new abilities and the way it can tuck away both Pokemon and item pickups is engaging. While playing, I basically only went after new Pokemon I hadn’t caught before while tackling the main activities which kept the challenge interesting and focused. I correctly guessed the rough idea of what the ending stretch would look like, but I thoroughly enjoyed the final area and ending.

My biggest surprise was definitely the online mode which was even better than I had hoped for. I’d say I played close to 80% of the 50-ish hours I played online together with my brother and best friend and this added so much to the experience. If you are unfamiliar, all of you can inhabit the same world together which means you can catch Pokemon together and even better you can individually advance your story mode which is huge and important since key abilities are locked behind activities. What that would look like in practice often was that say I wanted to clear out a gym to improve my catching rate and have higher level Pokemon to listen to me, someone else could clear out a Titan battle, while another roaming the world might find rare or cool new Pokemon and call it out for others to join them. It is so much cooler to be able to help your friends directly catch new Pokemon rather than just trade with them to check them off a list whether that’s through sharing knowledge or staring something down so it doesn’t despawn while avoiding attacks and giving directions for others to find you. A cool thing when playing with someone with a different version is that they can spawn their exclusive Pokemon in your world, so by traveling near them you can catch their Pokemon when you visit specific areas. You also can directly team up for raid battles to get powerful new Pokemon and get some great rewards (candy!). Raid battles start off as a joke, but they ramp up in difficulty quickly and makes coordination and planning a must. For all the other technical shortcomings this game has (which incidentally, largely didn’t bother me), I’m very impressed with not only the online offerings, but also that it largely runs so smoothly and doesn’t negatively impact performance. It’s atypical of Switch online experiences to work so reliably for extended periods and I had some very long sessions.

I could go on about Pokemon Violet, but yes this was a dream come true game for me. I have a little more to do still as I have 25 Pokemon left to evolve and 8 more Scarlet monsters to catch/touch and whatever post game there is. I’ll post again in a few days when I pick and move on to my next RPG.

I haven't quite finished Star Ocean 6 yet, taking it slow so I can enjoy it (and because my best friend is also playing it and it's more fun that way), but I'm still having a blast with it 40 hours in.

In the meantime I started and finished Harvestella, which was absolutely fantastic and genuinely a lot better than I was expecting, especially narratively. The gameplay is a little clunky but has a very good main loop. I might try to 100% it later but the credits roll was a good opportunity to take a break.

And now I'm finally getting around to Scarlet Nexus, got to borrow it from a friend since I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, but I'm around 20 hours in and having a good time. The combat is a bit frustrating at times because the good parts feel really really good and the clunky parts feel... quite clunky and sometimes annoying, but there's a lot of fun ideas in there. I'm also really enjoying how over-the-top the story beats are so far, that's my favorite part of most JRPGs.

Pokémon put it on hold a few weeks, but I (finally) finished Trails from Zero! Overall good game that I quite enjoyed, even with some quibbles and similar issues I’ve had with other Trails games (endgame battle system especially). I think I liked it much more than Cold Steel 2, but less than Cold Steel 1 in terms of other Trails games I’ve played.

The plot kind of went in a completely different direction than I was expecting, since so much of it doesn’t really even become apparent until Chapter 4 or later. But the finale chapter goes pretty hard, no doubt, and seeing everyone come together throughout the game was great. I was also not expecting to be able to use Estelle and Joshua as actual party members at the end. The final dungeon was a bit annoying, and my main issue that I’ve always had with Trails games’ combat (that too often it’s way too swingy and revolves around S-crafts way too much) remained true here, especially late in the game.

Interestingly this game didn’t touch at all on the big event that happens around Crossbell during Cold Steel 1, so I wonder how that comes into play later.

I’m looking forward to Azure, though, as I’d like to complete this arc and also get answers to the unanswered questions still lingering. And also so that I can eventually play Cold Steel 3 which has been sitting in my backlog :p.

starts new game of Ys 8 to check out the PS5 version

Let’s see, what settings should I tweak right off the bat?

menu… sound… BGM -> MAX

Okay, that’ll do for now.

Oh this is cool, looks like Forspoken gets a demo announcement at the Game Awards. I’ve been on the fence about this game so getting to actually try it out will be welcome.

cc @SammyJ9 since we just talked about this game in the Game Awards thread earlier today!

On the endgame of Xeno 3, hope to finish it this weekend. Pulled off all the hero quests/ascensions(had to look up two) and have entered origin

Oh this is cool, looks like Forspoken gets a demo announcement at the Game Awards. I’ve been on the fence about this game so getting to actually try it out will be welcome.

cc @SammyJ9 since we just talked about this game in the Game Awards thread earlier today!

Heyyyy demo is cool, I might try it out! Also I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this was the best trailer yet, and also featured no speaking by the protagonist :p (I like her design though)

New FFXVI details dropped!

Some highlights:

First full fledged action RPG for mainline FF. (Yay!)

They have an action mode (full control) and story mode.

Cidolfus is this game’s Cid.

You have a dog! You can command your dog to help you in battle and heal you up. Working together is key!

There are party members who join you, but you do not control or direct them.

For me committing fully to being an action game is the big one. Splitting the difference in FFXV was a mistake even if I loved that game anyway.

Should add the trailer:

And the Gematsu article / press release.

Some highlights:

You have a dog! You can command your dog to help you in battle and heal you up. Working together is key!

For me committing fully to being an action game is the big one. Splitting the difference in FFXV was a mistake even if I loved that game anyway.

Should add the trailer:

I need a PS5 just for this game... and FF7 Rebirth

Some highlights:

Should add the trailer:

I can't keep on boringly repeating myself, but XVI simply looks stunning. A clear, coherent vision, that's perfectly, dare I say, executed. (well from what we've seen so far anyway)

Nice to have some glimpses of exploration/"moving around" gameplay too.

I played the Forspoken demo for a smidge over an hour and did the six main objectives. There’s a little extra beyond that for those interested. Big advice if anyone plays it, hang out in the settings menu for a good minute and change stuff. I thought I had everything the way I wanted it with parkour on toggle, full camera control, etc., and didn’t realize until my final two challenges I had the difficulty set to easy when I went to save my game.

I’ll start with the main takeaway, I’m interested and finally want to get this game now. When combat was on the right difficulty, I had a good time picking apart mobs and making use of my different skills while feeling the right touch of danger. You have two magic types in the demo, earth and fire magic, and each big family has a bunch of main attack spells on the R Trigger and sub spells that require cooldown on the L trigger. I gravitated toward the fire magic in the demo. For my main attacks I had access to a sword, fists, and exploding fire spears you threw at people, while my sub spells included a fire dash, a fire ring attack buff, and magic swords. I did learn a move while playing to grab and pull enemies to me. The trick with basic magic is that you have attacks by rapidly clicking the trigger, holding it, while airborne, and after dodging. You also have a finisher that I don’t believe is tied to any spell when you blow someone over. The punch spell for example is rapid fire punches when clicking the trigger and a big explosive blast for charging it up, so every main spell has two main purposes. Basically in practice, I bounced between stabbing guys up close, flinging exploding spears at a distance (great for normal enemies and for ripping giant evil birds out of the sky), while dodging and swooping around enemies who got too close. Big hits have satisfying explosive launch effects on the smaller enemies at least and the flashy spells from you and your enemies can coat the screen in tons of glow-y magic effects. So many particles lol.

Since I decided I want to get the game and it comes out so soon, I didn’t check out everything available here, so I’m not sure exactly how everything works, but basically when you have a family of magic you can learn new spells to add to your arsenal or upgrade your favorites with mana (a form of XP I wasn’t clear how I was earning) and, why I quit early, through completing challenges like climbing a certain distance (which I did) or kill enemies with spells they are weak to. I can see the potential with getting interesting new powers (one of the spells I didn’t get summoned fire skeletons for example) and seeing go to powers get upgraded with bigger reach, more damage, etc.

Quick other stuff since I wrote more than I intended here, first parkour is fun. The sprint in particular feels satisfying, there’s a neat magic grapple hook like spell to get airborne, and you can Skyrim up walls. There’s a bunch of floating rocks in the demo and I’m guessing you’ll become cool enough to jump across them. The graphics at 60fps look good. The main characters talk a ton which I like, but they repeated dialogue a few times and the banter is occasionally a bit cringey with F-bombs in particular being a bit too loose. You can lower the dialogue or amusingly even raise it which uh, huh, wonder how that plays out lol. The menus are weird. Weird fish-bowl / warping effects that I don’t understand. It looks bad.

Anyway yeah I’m mostly into it. This is definitely a more dynamic action game and it has some FFXV feel to it in select spots with the weight of your characters, the graphics, and how some enemies like crocodiles behave.

See you all in December! :D
I don’t think this one is getting delayed. All the behind the scenes stuff, rumors and public statements, we have heard is development went very well and they largely didn’t talk about it until it was mostly done.

Compare this to FFXV where it felt like they were flying by the seat of their pants the entire time.

I don’t think this one is getting delayed. All the behind the scenes stuff, rumors and public statements, we have heard is development went very well and they largely didn’t talk about it until it was mostly done.

Compare this to FFXV where it felt like they were flying by the seat of their pants the entire time.
I don't think it's getting delayed any further. But I am planning on getting it on PC and the expectation is there's a 6 month exclusivity period unless shenanigans happen like with FF7R :)

I was replaying Dragon Quest IV for Nintendo DS, and it is such a lovely game. Not sure if I'll finish it again, but since I finished Valkyre Elysium, Star Ocean 6, Diofield, FF Origins and the Lost Judgment DLC, Elex II is next on my list of PS5 rpgs to try next.

I picked up Valkyria Chronicles in the sale. Had enough gold coins saved up from purchases that it was effectively ‘free’. I haven’t played it since release about 13 years ago, and just played through the opening hour. It’s so good and reminded me why I love the series and really wanted to love the sequels. The characters are rounded and believable with talents that ground them in a fantasy-1930s world. Their motivations are clear, their dreams put on hold as they cling to core values that make you want them to survive and succeed (a gentle observed wisdom from the natural world in the case of Welkin, pushed-to-defiance vs the Empire in the case of Alicia). The opening is just sweet rather than a list of tired tropes, as two normal people communicate in tense circumstances, rather than some ludicrous skit. The story of three factions in a continent-wide war is explained concisely but effectively, and the stakes for the characters outlined as the focus is on the small town in a neutral country caught up in it. Core gameplay is explained clearly and by 3 missions in you’re in battles with armour and infantry on both sides.

It’s just such a beautiful game, it focuses entirely on the essential stuff you need to know and story vignettes in the brief cut scenes, it doesn’t tediously pad things out with bloated scenes where people talk endlessly but say nothing or repeat themselves, and the game isn’t weighed down by lists of sub-mechanics either. It’s like, an hour in and you’ve fought three battles, met 3 of the main cast, learned about all of them, defended a small town, learned about infantry, tanks, grenades, healing, sandbags, overwatch, all of the main mechanics. It’s just so tight in narrative, characterisation and combat without skimping on any of them.

I wasnt overly impressed with VC2 or VC4 for various reasons, but I’m going to enjoy playing this again. Can’t really go wrong for £4 or whatever it was, one of my favourite games on PS3.

Last edited:
I picked up Valkyria Chronicles in the sale. Had enough gold coins saved up from purchases that it was effectively ‘free’. I haven’t played it since release about 13 years ago, and just played through the opening hour. It’s so good and reminded me why I love the series and really wanted to love the sequels. The characters are rounded and believable with talents that ground them in a fantasy-1930s world. Their motivations are clear, their dreams put on hold as they cling to core values that make you want them to survive and succeed (a gentle observed wisdom from the natural world in the case of Welkin, pushed-to-defiance vs the Empire in the case of Alicia). The opening is just sweet rather than a list of tired tropes, as two normal people communicate in tense circumstances, rather than some ludicrous skit. The story of three factions in a continent-wide war is explained concisely but effectively, and the stakes for the characters outlined as the focus is on the small town in a neutral country caught up in it. Core gameplay is explained clearly and by 3 missions in you’re in battles with armour and infantry on both sides.

It’s just such a beautiful game, it focuses entirely on the essential stuff you need to know and story vignettes in the brief cut scenes, it doesn’t tediously pad things out with bloated scenes where people talk endlessly but say nothing or repeat themselves, and the game isn’t weighed down by lists of sub-mechanics either. It’s like, an hour in and you’ve fought three battles, met 3 of the main cast, learned about all of them, defended a small town, learned about infantry, tanks, grenades, healing, sandbags, overwatch, all of the main mechanics. It’s just so tight in narrative, characterisation and combat without skimping on any of them.

I wasnt overly impressed with VC2 or VC4 for various reasons, but I’m going to enjoy playing this again. Can’t really go wrong for £4 or whatever it was, one of my favourite games on PS3.
While I agree that 2 was bad, I loved 3 and 4. I wish we got another.

I am loving Chained Echoes. Such a great game in every way.

While I agree that 2 was bad, I loved 3 and 4. I wish we got another.

I am loving Chained Echoes. Such a great game in every way.
Chained Echoes is definitely next on my list to pick up. I bounced hard off DQ Treasures after a couple of hours play, will give that another go too.

Going back to VC1 after playing 4 as my first one was interesting, because all the pieces are there that led to what I loved about 4 - and the characters are more realistic and grounded (as is the plot). But I actually found it felt a bit small, pared-down, and lacking in a lot of areas. Combat is so much better in 4 with grenadiers, pairing up to move, the APC, and lots of other improvements, for one thing (and nerfing scout rush at least a little bit). I also really liked the Squad Stories to flesh out the side characters and add some fun more focused challenge maps. And while there are certainly more tropes in 4, I really liked the bigger, higher-stakes plot especially in the second half, and I’m a sucker for snowy levels and it delivered those in spades.

Finally completed FF9! Marvelous game. I have now officially beaten 3 FF game so far. 10, 9 & 3 (I couldn’t beat the final gold castle but it’s close enough for me)

Going back to VC1 after playing 4 as my first one was interesting, because all the pieces are there that led to what I loved about 4 - and the characters are more realistic and grounded (as is the plot). But I actually found it felt a bit small, pared-down, and lacking in a lot of areas. Combat is so much better in 4 with grenadiers, pairing up to move, the APC, and lots of other improvements, for one thing (and nerfing scout rush at least a little bit). I also really liked the Squad Stories to flesh out the side characters and add some fun more focused challenge maps. And while there are certainly more tropes in 4, I really liked the bigger, higher-stakes plot especially in the second half, and I’m a sucker for snowy levels and it delivered those in spades.
I have to admit, I liked a lot of aspects of VC4. In particular, yeah the APC was great so that slower infantry didn’t just have to run everywhere. I found grenadiers to be overpowered and wrecked the class balance a bit, both for the PC force and the enemy. I really don’t think mortars should be able to do pinpoint-accurate overwatch fire when enemy units are moving, plus their long range and not needing line-of-sight and having anti-armour options made the risk/reward of the short-range lancers redundant. Given that lancers can’t do overwatch fire and need to get close to hurt tanks and even then can still miss. It pretty much meant that a single grenadier on the field was always a major thing to be considered in the way other units weren’t, especially when they could hide in places both hard to get to and out of line of sight but somehow still relentlessly bombard moving infantry! Also, other units, once deployed, don’t do much until you take control of them, but there’s little reason not to always deploy a grenadier in your bases as they’ll keep notching up kills.

Last edited:
Ryza and Ryza 2 are in discount right now in the eshop, if anyone is interested in 3 is a good time to get them (don't get the dlc / deluxe, the content is not worthy of the price)

I have to admit, I liked a lot of aspects of VC4. In particular, yeah the APC was great so that slower infantry didn’t just have to run everywhere. I found grenadiers to be overpowered and wrecked the class balance a bit, both for the PC force and the enemy. I really don’t think mortars should be able to do pinpoint-accurate overwatch fire when enemy units are moving, plus their long range and not needing line-of-sight and having anti-armour options made the risk/reward of the short-range lancers redundant. Given that lancers can’t do overwatch fire and need to get close to hurt tanks and even then can still miss. It pretty much meant that a single grenadier on the field was always a major thing to be considered in the way other units weren’t, especially when they could hide in places both hard to get to and out of line of sight but somehow still relentlessly bombard moving infantry! Also, other units, once deployed, don’t do much until you take control of them, but there’s little reason not to always deploy a grenadier in your bases as they’ll keep notching up kills.
That’s fair, they are very powerful. But I liked the dynamic they added to the game, making you have to be much more careful about being in the open and use your APC. And also snipers, since them taking out the grenadier was usually a key objective, and I LOVE snipers. They feel way more useful in 4 compared to 1.

Hello rpg thread! I wonder if I might draw on your expertise.
Ideally I’d do all my gaming on switch, but that is not possible at the moment. See, my wee little son is a little fussy and needs a lot of rocking to get and sometimes stay asleep. This leaves me with one hand free! I’ve never done any gaming on my phone but figured I might use some of the time he spends napping to make progress in some rpg or other.
Are there any games available on iOS that could be comfortably played one handed and that you would recommend ? As I mentioned, I’ve never done any mobile gaming so I’m not too sure what the controls would be like. I’m looking for anything to keep me awake during those late night shifts! Thanks for any guidance!

Ideally I’d do all my gaming on switch, but that is not possible at the moment. See, my wee little son is a little fussy and needs a lot of rocking to get and sometimes stay asleep. This leaves me with one hand free! I’ve never done any gaming on my phone but figured I might use some of the time he spends napping to make progress in some rpg or other.
Are there any games available on iOS that could be comfortably played one handed and that you would recommend ? As I mentioned, I’ve never done any mobile gaming so I’m not too sure what the controls would be like. I’m looking for anything to keep me awake during those late night shifts! Thanks for any guidance!
I believe the first three Dragon Quests games are still on iOS and all work one handed. I can first hand vouch for Dragon Quest II being that way. It’s a very straightforward game and turn based which makes it more ideal if you need to pause.

Fire Emblem Heroes is another good choice and it’s F2P. I didn’t keep up with it after the first year / season, but it’s pretty laid back and also turn based.

I believe the first three Dragon Quests games are still on iOS and all work one handed. I can first hand vouch for Dragon Quest II being that way. It’s a very straightforward game and turn based which makes it more ideal if you need to pause.

Fire Emblem Heroes is another good choice and it’s F2P. I didn’t keep up with it after the first year / season, but it’s pretty laid back and also turn based.
Just to confirm, all the DQ ports for mobile are really good for one handed mode as they were designed with portrait mode as base, and as @xghost777 mentions all of them are turn based, so you can pick whichever you want ( I recommend 3, 5 and 8)

Thanks for the help! Dragon Quest it is! I played XI on switch — it was my first and I liked it a lot. An earlier one would be perfect and just what I’m looking for.

I'm not super familiar with mobile games unfortunately, but are Switch games an option for you if they have a one-handed mode? Some give you the option to play with only one joycon without having to manually reconfigure anything. Bravely Default II is the first one that comes to mind, but I could swear I've seen some others too.

I have a ten-month-old and have been problem solving the same thing! Lol.

I had generally positive one-handed experiences with Chrono Trigger and Another Eden (a spiritual sequel to the Chrono series from the main writer of the series.) Another Eden especially is designed to optimize one-handed controls, is free to play, and will provide dozens of hours of content.

Oh yeah, and I would also recommend a game that's RPG- adjacent: Marvel Snap.

It's free, matches are hella short, and there's a complex system full of surprises.

Was planning on putting this in the Trails from Zero thread, but I figured this is probably a better spot for it. Finally got done with my SC replay, taking nearly two months to finish. And, uh, damn. Gotta say, my opinion has dropped on it a fair amount, to the point where I think I actually prefer FC, despite the gameplay improvements.

• My main gripe is, without a doubt, the story pacing: it's not good. I'm fine with a redux of the first game's formula, making another trip around Liberl, but after you infiltrate the Ouroborous base and escape the Glorious, yeesh. The Tetracyclic Towers and the Liber Ark all take way too long. It's just mindless dungeon crawling for hours on end without a whole lot of story payoff. Chapter 8 with the ZFGs is even worse; I get what they were going for here, focusing on the bracer side of things one final time, but it's such a buzzkill to have to walk the entire continent yet again right after the the Tetracyclic Towers finally did something interesting.
  • Speaking of Chapter 8, my god is the gameplay there horrendous. Restricting art casting is already bad enough, but taking away the three best art casters is incredibly annoying. There's so much interesting content there that I just have no desire to do, because the combat is so abysmally bad.
  • Building off of that point a bit, the game does not handle having a full party well at all. FC worked well due to its structure: you had party members for a set block of time, meaning that they were always tuned to be at the exact level they needed to be. When that party member left, generally for story reasons, the next one would join, and they'd automatically be at a higher level to fit the same leveling curve that Estelle and Joshua were following. SC tries to follow a similar structure, but it crumbles under the weight of having to maintain a consistent party at all times. In FC, it was expected that certain party members would leave, and they'd always be replaced with someone at a higher level. In SC, you never have any idea when someone will leave, and they aren't replaced by someone new, meaning you generally need to level someone else up to match the current party level. It's even worse when the story forces you to take certain characters; poor Tita got obliterated in Chapter 5, because I had absolutely no reason to use her up to that point. This isn't even mentioning how much of a pain it is to swap equipment and quartz.
    • This even affects the story in a negative way. The Ouroborous encounters in the Axis Pillar are completely weightless if you don't have the right party members, so unless you're willing to train Zin and Scherazard up, you're gonna miss out on a lot of dialogue. It's not the absolute worst thing in the world given how Trails scales EXP, but it's still a major annoyance. They're too committed to the idea that the characters in the party are the only ones actually exploring. It's ok to suspend the disbelief a bit, and have Zin/Scherazard/any required party members be "in" the party, even if they aren't active for gameplay.
  • Some more story complaints: it feels way too coincidental and random. FC also falls under this, but that's sorta the point of that game. The primary focus is on Estelle's character development, so keeping everything disconnected up until the end is to the story's benefit, as it keeps the focus on her and Joshua. SC, on the other hand, needs to be more focused and driven, but it just feels...off. The initial Ouroborous encounters happen purely by chance, with Estelle magically being in the right place at the right time. For how elusive they're supposed to be, the illusion is pretty ineffective considering that you suss them all out immediately. Walter and Luciola in particular feel really shoehorned with their backstories; there's practically nothing leading up to either of their relationships with Zin and Schera in FC, but through sheer coincidence they happen to be in Liberl, in the exact right spot for them to encounter Zin and Schera. Joshua's no better: the game builds up Estelle's search for him to be this massive undertaking, and yet he just so happens to be in the right place at the right time to run into her. He spends the whole game up to that point being moody and cryptic, but a coincidental encounter and a 5 minute conversation with Estelle magically "fixes" him and he's back in the party. Their relationship is really sweet, I'm not gonna shit talk that aspect, but it's a pretty lousy climax to something that was built up for 20+ hours.
  • I don't want to be too negative, so I'll at least touch on the positives. The combat is great, a much needed step up from the first game. I already mentioned my grievances with Zin, Schera, and Joshua, but the character development for everyone else is fantastic. Agate in particular stands out as a highlight, particularly his relationship with Tita. It blows my mind that he's somehow optional for the first two chapters, considering how deeply involved he is with the characters in comparison to Schera, who isn't really involved at all. I also really liked Kloe's character arc, and the reveals for Kevin, Olivier, and Richard were great. Renne was also a highlight, easily my favorite important Enforcer by a fairly large margin, outclassing the aformentioned two as well as Loewe and Bleublanc. Really liked Campanella as well. The music is just as good as the first game, and the cutscenes are also really cool, even if they're quite a bit dated.

Overall, I was definitely a bit disappointed. SC went from being my easy favorite of the trilogy to probably my least favorite, depending on how I feel about 3rd after replaying it. Regardless, I'm really close to getting to Zero and Azure, which has me incredibly excited.

Chapter 9 of Valkyria Chronicles. For some reason I didn’t notice this on my first playthrough. When they are in the desert, the PCs were exploring some ruins and talking about how the Valkyria were a myth. Yet here they are, in front of their nations princess, who is wielding a lance, and introduced as her house being descended from them as if that’s public knowledge that sanctions their authority. Just seems really odd for the archeology-buff to go ‘yeah they are an ancient myth!’ one week while not even commenting on how apparently the entire ruling caste of their country is built around claiming descent from them :D

I hope they also expand their workforce. But the question now is, will we ever see a ww release? Until we catch up, I dont think so.
Yeah this is my main concern, good for them to be working on more titles per year, but I hope they also expand on the localization efforts.

Also considering it's a small team surely they will make it bigger right?

Falcom is ramping up their development output.

There will certainly be no shortage of games for their fans in the coming years.

Maybe a run of Ys remakes/remasters? I’m really pleased with having so many of them on Switch already and Oath in Felghana coming in the spring. In particular I’d love to see Ark of Napashtim.

Falcom is ramping up their development output.

There will certainly be no shortage of games for their fans in the coming years.

That seems intense and ambitious for them. If the quality is there cool, I love Falcom. Definitely would love more ports.

Just wanted to bump this thread to say how excited I am for early 2023. So many great RPGs coming out, I definitely won't be able to play them all right away! Which isn't a bad thing, just more to be able to hang onto for later on.

I'm replaying Ys 8 slowly right now and it is still pure joy. I think I might have a forum topic brewing in me about something it does, maybe I'll get ambitious and post it later this week.

Back
Top Bottom