• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Do you have any rpgs you go back to and finish more than once?

From the Tales of series, Symphonia 10 times, Xillia 2 3 times, Abyss twice, Vesperia twice, Destiny technically twice between the original and the PS2 remake.

Atelier I have finished the time limit games at least twice each, Ayesha specifically 4 times, Escha and Logy 3 times.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance at least 6 times. Ys Origin 3 times. Undertale twice, one on PC and another one on Switch, both Deltarune chapters multiple times.

If you count Shenmue and Shenmue II, my answer is yes. I’ve finished those games more than 10 times each.

But otherwise I tend tend to return to an rpg often. Except if it’s many years later, like Skies of Arkadia, Grandia, Phantasy Star IV, Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden and Shining Force II.
I’ve played old Pokémon games a bunch of times.

I’ve gone through Dragon Quest/Warrior III and Golden Sun a decent amount of times as well.

If you count Shenmue and Shenmue II, my answer is yes. I’ve finished those games more than 10 times each.

But otherwise I tend tend to return to an rpg often. Except if it’s many years later, like Skies of Arkadia, Grandia, Phantasy Star IV, Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden and Shining Force II.
For a while, FF9 was my favorite game of all time, and I would often go back to it when I wasn't feeling well or in a rough spot or something. I've played it probably 7-8 times at least. Just pure comfort food.

What’s the oldest rpg you can truly enjoy?

Mine might be cheating, since the version I love is the sega Ages one; Phantasy Star. It’s miles ahead where Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were at that point abd I’d say it’s hands down the best 8 bit rpg.
I only got into gaming fairly recently, and I have the bad habit of dropping older RPGs fairly quickly, to the point that I think the oldest one I've finished is...Tales of Vesperia? Though I did play the remaster there so that might not fully count

Granted, I also haven't tried many older RPGs. Mainly Chrono Trigger (multiple attempts, have never gotten too far) and FF7 (tried like twice, haven't gotten very far either). Trails in the Sky is the next oldest I've tried, but that one I'm actually more likely to play through since I quite enjoyed the beginning.

So it might also be a case of me just trying the "wrong" games for my taste. FF7 and Chrono Trigger are notably both ATB systems and I'm not a huge fan of those.

Mine might be cheating, since the version I love is the sega Ages one; Phantasy Star. It’s miles ahead where Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were at that point abd I’d say it’s hands down the best 8 bit rpg.
For me the oldest RPG I’ve enjoyed is Mother/EarthBound Beginnings. Even then it’s pretty rough at times and I don’t think I would have been able to stick with it without the savestates available in the modern versions. But it does have quite an expansive and distinctive world compared to most RPG’s at the time. I’ve never played Phantasy Star, though; I may need to check it out.

Username checks out 😂
Ha ha, yep. Although even for me, while I’ve played EarthBound and Mother 3 multiple times over the years and they are both among my favorite games, it was only a couple years ago that I finally played through the entirety of the original Mother. Those pre-SNES RPG’s can certainly be rough.

Started playing Bravely Default II two weeks ago, it's been an... interestingly mixed bag? There's a lot of good work that went in there but the quality of the game is kind of all over the place in ways that are frankly a little confusing. Visually it looks lovely when it's not making truly bizarre design choices - the character models never really look better than "not horrible to look at", but the monster design and renders are often fantastic. The environments look pretty good either way, but in two completely conflicting styles. The gameplay is still pretty fun in my opinion, but feels a lot less "designed" than the first two games, it feels a lot less deliberate and a lot of the balancing is off in ways that don't really feel intentional.

Writing-wise it's also worse than the first two imo, mostly because its own personality is kind of interesting but it goes out of its way to seem blander than it actually is, for some reason. The first couple hours were a complete narrative slog that seemed to be going through the motions just for the sake of it. Now that I'm around 60 hours in, I still don't think it's doing anything fantastic (the writing is wobbly at best and there's a lot of plot beats just for shock value) but it at least feels like its own game and I'm moderately curious to see how it's going to wrap up.

Very 7/10 JRPG to me for now, but we'll see if the last third of the game changes that. It's definitely better than I was expecting off just the demo though, which admittedly isn't a high bar, but it's made me go from "I don't want to play this one at all" to "this is fun enough that it's not a waste of time". Will report back when I'm done!

Started playing Bravely Default II two weeks ago, it's been an... interestingly mixed bag? There's a lot of good work that went in there but the quality of the game is kind of all over the place in ways that are frankly a little confusing. Visually it looks lovely when it's not making truly bizarre design choices - the character models never really look better than "not horrible to look at", but the monster design and renders are often fantastic. The environments look pretty good either way, but in two completely conflicting styles. The gameplay is still pretty fun in my opinion, but feels a lot less "designed" than the first two games, it feels a lot less deliberate and a lot of the balancing is off in ways that don't really feel intentional.

Writing-wise it's also worse than the first two imo, mostly because its own personality is kind of interesting but it goes out of its way to seem blander than it actually is, for some reason. The first couple hours were a complete narrative slog that seemed to be going through the motions just for the sake of it. Now that I'm around 60 hours in, I still don't think it's doing anything fantastic (the writing is wobbly at best and there's a lot of plot beats just for shock value) but it at least feels like its own game and I'm moderately curious to see how it's going to wrap up.

Very 7/10 JRPG to me for now, but we'll see if the last third of the game changes that. It's definitely better than I was expecting off just the demo though, which admittedly isn't a high bar, but it's made me go from "I don't want to play this one at all" to "this is fun enough that it's not a waste of time". Will report back when I'm done!
That’s a pretty good read of it IMO. It was fun and the battle and job system is still a blast, but it’s fairly mixed in a lot of other ways. Most everything about it was good on the whole, but not as good as the first game. And yes visually it had kind of a mixed identity.

I think I’d bump it to either a 7.5 or an 8/10 for me, by the end of the game, but I do get where you’re coming from.

This isn't an RPG, but it is a Falcom game, and I know how many people in this thread want to have Falcom's figurative AND literal babies. (Myself included. My username is literally Ys.) Over the weekend, I beat the single best game on the Genesis. (Do not fight me on this, I am right.) It's Lord Monarch: Legendary Battle Royale, and it's a masterpiece. However, it was only released in Japan, which I know will put off a lot of people. The maps also include a bunch of gimmicks, many of which are stupid and unnecessary, meaning most other versions of Lord Monarch are actually better. It's just that the base Lord Monarch game is so good that the Genesis version is still able to rise above the stupid gimmicks.

So what if you want to play Lord Monarch in English and without any stupid gimmicks? Well do I have a solution for you! Does the question, "Have you ever played truly enjoyable computer game?" keep you wide awake at night with uncertainty? Do you refuse to upgrade from a Windows 95 PC? Do you long to download something directly from Falcom's website, as though you're downloading a piece of Falcom directly into your very soul? Well, in 1997, Falcom did release one (1) version of Lord Monarch in English and they placed it on their website for free for everyone to download. And it's still there!!!!!!! You can play Lord Monarch Online-e at this very moment! (There are no online components of the game, and the "e" stands for English.) Here's a link to the page. The page is in English and the download link is right there, officially from Falcom. I know you want to, and you should, because I would never steer you wrong. It's why I chose to post in this thread, because I care about you all and only want you playing good games. I don't want to judge or anything, and I won't name names, but some of you have been playing some real poo poo lately. 😤

(Disclaimers: I have not read any messages in this thread for quite some time. Right now I see that someone above me is saying a game is a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 for them, but I refuse to read the rest of the message to see what they're talking about.)

Made good progress in FF13 over the weekend and have reached Chapter 11. Could not help but crack a smile when I saw nature and massive enemy monsters and it gave me the notion that the game only begins now after 25 hours of intro, lol.

I'm back in the RPG genre. I completed Xenoblade Chronicles: Futures Connected in preparation of XC3 next week. Also, I have been slowly working on the Live A Live demo leading up to this weekend. Really looking forward to the whole game!

Made good progress in FF13 over the weekend and have reached Chapter 11. Could not help but crack a smile when I saw nature and massive enemy monsters and it gave me the notion that the game only begins now after 25 hours of intro, lol.
Yessss this is the best part. And while the game 'beginning now' is definitely an exaggeration, it's... not entirely incorrect, lol. I love the general vibe, atmosphere, and feel of that part of the game so much.

Should I have grinded a bit before coming to Chapter 11? Have not done any grinding all game long and now basic enemies hit like a truck out of nowhere.

I did the first five Cieth Stone missions, but it has been a pain.

Should I have grinded a bit before coming to Chapter 11? Have not done any grinding all game long and now basic enemies hit like a truck out of nowhere.

Check your paradigm configurations. That's most likely where you're having issues.

You can't really grind in XIII in the traditional sense due to the hard gating on the Crystarium in each chapter. As long as you haven't been avoiding fights you should be ending each chapter either at the limit or pretty close to it.

Check your paradigm configurations. That's most likely where you're having issues.

You can't really grind in XIII in the traditional sense due to the hard gating on the Crystarium in each chapter. As long as you haven't been avoiding fights you should be ending each chapter either at the limit or pretty close to it.
I did consider paradigms and team composition to be an issue, but not sure which direction is the best to go in that regard. Don't think I have found a sweet spot yet.

I tried going with Lightning/Hope/Fang. Have Fang and Hope cast buffs and debuffs at the start of the fight and then switch to a more aggressive paradigm.

The issue is in some fights I don't even get many buffs and debuffs going because enemies just start shredding my team apart. It feels like having a healer in your party at pretty much all times would be beneficial, but then fights drag on for even longer than they do already.

Feels like I have to do something wrong at this point, but I was perfectly fine before.

I did consider paradigms and team composition to be an issue, but not sure which direction is the best to go in that regard. Don't think I have found a sweet spot yet.

I tried going with Lightning/Hope/Fang. Have Fang and Hope cast buffs and debuffs at the start of the fight and then switch to a more aggressive paradigm.

The issue is in some fights I don't even get many buffs and debuffs going because enemies just start shredding my team apart. It feels like having a healer in your party at pretty much all times would be beneficial, but then fights drag on for even longer than they do already.

Feels like I have to do something wrong at this point, but I was perfectly fine before.
I think you're thinking correctly. You're obviously losing the DPS race. You may want to try SEN/SYN/SAB as an opener before switching off to a traditional COM/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/MED.

I think what I was usually using at that point is COM/RAV/SYN for an opener until the party is fully Hasted but my setup I think was Fang/Vanille/Sazh. Not all characters have access to the same skills in each role so it's probably worth double checking thing. And you may want to grind some of the trash on Pulse for points depending on where you are on each track for your party. But it's been a couple years since I tackled XIII.

There's also gear synergies and accessories that start you off with Haste which allows you to put the SYN away sooner at least for the trash mobs.

I think you're thinking correctly. You're obviously losing the DPS race. You may want to try SEN/SYN/SAB as an opener before switching off to a traditional COM/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/MED.

I think what I was usually using at that point is COM/RAV/SYN for an opener until the party is fully Hasted but my setup I think was Fang/Vanille/Sazh. Not all characters have access to the same skills in each role so it's probably worth double checking thing. And you may want to grind some of the trash on Pulse for points depending on where you are on each track for your party. But it's been a couple years since I tackled XIII.

There's also gear synergies and accessories that start you off with Haste which allows you to put the SYN away sooner at least for the trash mobs.
Thanks for your input! I will definitely have to juggle some things around and see what happens.

Thanks for your input! I will definitely have to juggle some things around and see what happens.
You're welcome! And enjoy this part of the game, having to figure out paradigm selections and understand the flow of battle was deeply satisfying for me.

You can't really grind at all before you get to Pulse, due to the crystarium limits. One thing to keep in mind about Chapter 11 and onward is that this is now the endgame area - there are TONS of cieth stones and things that are going to be above your level, and the game is somewhat nonlinear now: Not in terms of the plot, but in how the zones feel. Think of it more like Xenoblade, where there will be super high-level enemies wandering around that you just can't beat for a while.

Upgrading your weapons is also something you might want to look into soon, whereas that's almost completely irrelevant pre-Chapter 11. Once you get into doing hunts and such, though, you can start working on weapon upgrades and beefing up your damage. I'd highly recommend a guide for that, though, personally, as it can be pretty confusing and complicated.

You can't really grind at all before you get to Pulse, due to the crystarium limits. One thing to keep in mind about Chapter 11 and onward is that this is now the endgame area - there are TONS of cieth stones and things that are going to be above your level, and the game is somewhat nonlinear now: Not in terms of the plot, but in how the zones feel. Think of it more like Xenoblade, where there will be super high-level enemies wandering around that you just can't beat for a while.

Upgrading your weapons is also something you might want to look into soon, whereas that's almost completely irrelevant pre-Chapter 11. Once you get into doing hunts and such, though, you can start working on weapon upgrades and beefing up your damage. I'd highly recommend a guide for that, though, personally, as it can be pretty confusing and complicated.
Figured out the part about high level enemies as soon as I bumped into a King Behemoth. But I was having trouble with Svarogs and some other monsters that were hard or impossible to avoid in tighter spots between the first five Cieth Stones. Like the big tomato bros, especially if they come in pairs or are backed up by annoying smaller monsters, so I thought I had to be doing something wrong.

True, I have not really touched weapon or accessory upgrades yet, mostly because I did not know which weapons would become obsolete later on, but also because I never really felt like I had to. So that is something I will have to look into now.

Seconding this, although I think the first trip to Pulse upgrades still aren't really necessary? The stupid thing about the crafting simple is that it's mechanically very simple but the way they implemented is just obnoxiously cumbersome. It's always felt like something that was shoved in last minute or was mean to be replaced by something more robust but they ran out of time to implement it.

Just read a guide and it'll point you at what you want to farm for the most efficiency and which things are worth upgrading.

Figured out the part about high level enemies as soon as I bumped into a King Behemoth. But I was having trouble with Svarogs and some other monsters that were hard or impossible to avoid in tighter spots between the first five Cieth Stones. Like the big tomato bros, especially if they come in pairs or are backed up by annoying smaller monsters, so I thought I had to be doing something wrong.

True, I have not really touched weapon or accessory upgrades yet, mostly because I did not know which weapons would become obsolete later on, but also because I never really felt like I had to. So that is something I will have to look into now.
I like to think about Chapter 11+ as a sort of massive incremental improvement section - you slowly get stronger, letting you beat more hunts, which lets you get better drops and XP to get stronger and unlock harder hunts and way better accessories and such, repeat. But I would recommend following the plot at least to some degree for a while. One thing to keep in mind is that you're still limited by Crystarium expansions, and those are tied to the plot. There are multiple expansions still to come, so if you're nearing the end of the Crystarium limits, just go ahead and advance the plot. Also, the final chrystarium expansion happens when you beat the final boss, and that unlocks the true endgame. But that isn't really necessary for most things, just the super endgame hunts and a few things like that.

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles DE after 110 hours. Did all heart-to-hearts and raised affinity between characters to their highest level. Did all sidequests, so that I ended up at level 97 when I did the final boss. Needless to say that it was a walk in the park. Final boss spoiler I really liked how Shulk was like, screw gods, we don't need them, and just ended the whole journey with it.

Despite some (minor) criticisms, it's great, one of the best RPGs of the last decade. Rereading my posts here, I never mentioned that Xenoblade was the game that made me an RPG fan, even though having played them from time to time. It's a special game in my gaming history.
Yet I still think, like in my original playthrough, that the first 2/3s or so up until prison Island, is the better part of the game. Traveling all the way up to the head of the Bionis is the most important feature of what makes this game stand out. After that, the game is just a bit too long for it's own good.
Leveling up was a bit of a nuisance, but with the right equipment, gems and characters, most enemies weren't that difficult, even when underleveled. And at this point, you are accustomed to the battle system and arts and affinity are high, so chain links are more likely, which makes fights even more easy and fun.
The cutscene direction has gotten improved in XB2 imo, and Monolith also learnt one or two things about menus. Can't wait for what they have in store for us in XB3.

Off to Future Connected and seeing the party one last time.

Two days ago I wrapped up Chapter 4 in Bravely Default so I just had the game loop for the first time. This is going to be a make it or break it point for me seeing how this works because I’m eager to wrap this game up efficiently. While some battles are incredibly breezy that you can take care of on auto-battle (which is a very welcome feature here) some of these boss battles are absolute bears that require your full attention on nearly every turn and can easily last twenty minutes or more. While I do appreciate the challenge, this is definitely why I dropped the game years ago. I did ultimately slip back into the story despite stepping away for eight years thankfully so I am both very invested and frustrated at this point lol.

Most amusing(?) boss fight to talk about was definitely the optional vampire. My damage output was terrible when I first approached this fight even though I wasn’t dying so I had to reset given his enormous HP. I reshuffled my jobs around for damage dealing and this time he obliterated me. This took a few tries, but I settled on a party of all ninjas, repeated the counter move for everyone, and buffed my speed on one character. I got super lucky in that my fastest character got hit early which locked his AI in such a way he couldn’t hit me even though I could rarely hit him. I left it on auto battle at max speed and twenty minutes later he finally went down.

I think this is a perfect example of what intrigues and frustrates me about this game. Yeah I won and the setup / theorizing was interesting, but the end strategy still was painful / not fun to execute. I have time tonight to play more so I’m eager to see how I’ll feel about chapter 5. After the vampire and all the leveling and preparing I had to do, the next two story bosses went down like chumps thankfully. I thus far have refused to throw it on easy, but I’m mighty tempted to just see the story through.

Up next: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

It's been high on my wishlist since it came out, and I found it today at a decent price! I'll try to give some updates and impressions as I go.

Impressions (Prologue + Part of Chapter 1)

This is my first Atlus game & first game that has much of a connection to the Fire Emblem series.
Right away, I love the style, the music, the vibrant city and pop/idol vibes are a lot of fun.
The cartoon cutscenes are great.
The characters seem fun so far.
I am excited to explore the battle system, especially as more chain-attacks (Sessions) reveal themselves.
Maybe I'm missing out on them, but I feel like there should be more RPG's that take place in the modern, real world. It's so great to have this pop idol management company as a home base, for example.
And hello to Shibuya! I remember that meeting place statue from The World Ends with You!
Naturally, I got a smoothie from the cafe.
I'm about to go into the studio.
I'm thankful that it hasn't gotten pervy. Fingers crossed that continues.
Everything has been smooth sailing so far, and I'm excited to play more.

Say I’ve always been curious about the series and it’s 60% off, Star Ocean First Departure R (switch) worth giving a go?

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles DE after 110 hours. Did all heart-to-hearts and raised affinity between characters to their highest level. Did all sidequests, so that I ended up at level 97 when I did the final boss. Needless to say that it was a walk in the park. Final boss spoiler I really liked how Shulk was like, screw gods, we don't need them, and just ended the whole journey with it.

Despite some (minor) criticisms, it's great, one of the best RPGs of the last decade. Yet I still think, like in my original playthrough, that the first 2/3s or so up until prison Island, is the better part of the game. Traveling all the way up to the head of the Bionis is the most important feature of what makes this game stand out. After that, the game is just a bit too long for it's own good.
Leveling up was a bit of a nuisance, but with the right equipment, gems and characters, most enemies weren't that difficult, even when underleveled. And at this point, you are accustomed to the battle system and arts and affinity are high, so chain links are more likely, which makes fights even more easy and fun.
The cutscene direction has gotten improved in XB2 imo, and Monolith also learnt one or two things about menus. Can't wait for what they have in store for us in XB3.

Off to Future Connected and seeing the party one last time.
Oddly enough i liked the back half of the story better. And thought it was to slow at first. Personally i played it on casual to avoid grinding and the game was never to easy or to hard with no grinding until the final boss.

Oddly enough i liked the back half of the story better. And thought it was to slow at first. Personally i played it on casual to avoid grinding and the game was never to easy or to hard with no grinding until the final boss.
There are two reasons for me. One is the travel upwards the Mechonis, which takes too long imo. And there's also the major story event, where the High Entia transform into Telethia. You have to finish quite a few quests before that or they expire. That lengthens the game at this point not insignificant.

The other one is just the way I play Xenoblade. You get a bunch of quests at the end, that are actually meant to be post-credit content with enemies many levels above your own. But when you are like me and want to play them before the end, some grinding is necessary. However, it wasn't too bad, but leveling and the quests extended the playtime by about 10-12 hours, I would guess. To be clear, you don't have to grind levels at all if you just follow the story, which is pretty impressive.

I admit that the latter point is purely my own fault, and I can't help it lol.

There are two reasons for me. One is the travel upwards the Mechonis, which takes too long imo. And there's also the major story event, where the High Entia transform into Telethia. You have to finish quite a few quests before that or they expire. That lengthens the game at this point not insignificant.

The other one is just the way I play Xenoblade. You get a bunch of quests at the end, that are actually meant to be post-credit content with enemies many levels above your own. But when you are like me and want to play them before the end, some grinding is necessary. However, it wasn't too bad, but leveling and the quests extended the playtime by about 10-12 hours, I would guess.

I admit that the latter point is purely my own fault, and I can't help it lol.
See i had no intention of doing many sidequests since 3 comes out soon and did not wanna burn out on that. I did ones as i came across them and such but otherwise skipped them as i wanted a straight shot through the game at a decent pace. i did a few of the heart2hearts too. i read awhile back doing the sidequests kills the pacing and trying to do them all is not advised.

See i had no intention of doing many sidequests since 3 comes out soon and did not wanna burn out on that. I did ones as i came across them and such but otherwise skipped them as i wanted a straight shot through the game at a decent pace. i did a few of the heart2hearts too. i read awhile back doing the sidequests kills the pacing and trying to do them all is not advised.
I don't really have much to add here. You are right that doing all these mostly fetch and monster kill quests are detrimental to the story's pacing, but they let me travel through the world and enjoy the beautiful vistas and the music just a little longer.

Edit: In case some famis are interested in KingK's retrospectives, he did a video on Xenoblade and just released the one on 2.

Last edited:
Say I’ve always been curious about the series and it’s 60% off, Star Ocean First Departure R (switch) worth giving a go?
I still haven't gotten around to that one yet, but I've heard (from friends who have played it and whose opinions I trust) it's a really good quality remaster, and it's of one of the less controversial entries in the series. So at 60% off that sounds like a good deal!

Star Ocean as a series in general is really fun in my opinion. First Departure (SO1) and Second Story (SO2) are both considered pretty solid overall, but Till The End Of Time (SO3), The Last Hope (SO4), and Integrity And Faithlessness (SO5) have more mixed receptions based on what parts of the games/series you value. I personally love 3 and 4 (3 might be my favorite game of all time full stop), and didn't care much for 5, but a lot of people consider 4 the worst one, and some say 3 ruined the series.

I finished chapter 5 of Bravely Default. It started out rough with the nearby optional bosses beating me up, but I realized the monsters reset in the world and were yielding way more XP and JP. I found a good spot and auto battle strategy and power leveled to max out some jobs to see what they had to offer and very quickly jumped from level 60 to 96. I looked it up and 99 is level cap though I have way more jobs to max out if I wanted beyond that which increase the freelancer job’s stats significantly. I have some good combos now since I have access to way more skills which is super nice. The Dark Knight Job I just got in particular is doing immense damage paired with my Drain Sword Magic as it heals back all of the HP it spends.

I’m definitely seeing the game through at this point as I basically just have to fight bosses exclusively now (there’s a ton of them left though). My copy of Live A Live should arrive later today so I’m not sure how I plan to juggle both yet.

I still haven't gotten around to that one yet, but I've heard (from friends who have played it and whose opinions I trust) it's a really good quality remaster, and it's of one of the less controversial entries in the series. So at 60% off that sounds like a good deal!

Star Ocean as a series in general is really fun in my opinion. First Departure (SO1) and Second Story (SO2) are both considered pretty solid overall, but Till The End Of Time (SO3), The Last Hope (SO4), and Integrity And Faithlessness (SO5) have more mixed receptions based on what parts of the games/series you value. I personally love 3 and 4 (3 might be my favorite game of all time full stop), and didn't care much for 5, but a lot of people consider 4 the worst one, and some say 3 ruined the series.
Thanks, yeah well for now only one is on switch so that’ll be what I mess with

I finished chapter 5 of Bravely Default. It started out rough with the nearby optional bosses beating me up, but I realized the monsters reset in the world and were yielding way more XP and JP. I found a good spot and auto battle strategy and power leveled to max out some jobs to see what they had to offer and very quickly jumped from level 60 to 96. I looked it up and 99 is level cap though I have way more jobs to max out if I wanted beyond that which increase the freelancer job’s stats significantly. I have some good combos now since I have access to way more skills which is super nice. The Dark Knight Job I just got in particular is doing immense damage paired with my Drain Sword Magic as it heals back all of the HP it spends.

I’m definitely seeing the game through at this point as I basically just have to fight bosses exclusively now (there’s a ton of them left though). My copy of Live A Live should arrive later today so I’m not sure how I plan to juggle both yet.
I'd like to go back to the original BD at some point, I never finished it (got to Chapter 5 and fell off). But as you said, today I'm starting LaL and then next week is XC3, and then not long after that is Soul Hackers 2, so.... it'll be a little while, lol.

I'd like to go back to the original BD at some point, I never finished it (got to Chapter 5 and fell off). But as you said, today I'm starting LaL and then next week is XC3, and then not long after that is Soul Hackers 2, so.... it'll be a little while, lol.
Yeah I’m definitely dropping everything once Xenoblade drops. I have Soul Hackers preordered also, but I’m not sure my priority level exactly on that one. Looks cool for sure. NIS Classics Vol 3 comes out right after that with Rhapsody which I always wanted to play regardless of quality and Trails From Zero is officially dropping in September. I played it two years ago, but I’m so excited to play it officially on Switch (going to be perfect on it). Very glad a lot of cool stuff is dropping soon, but it’s overwhelming lol.

Yeah I’m definitely dropping everything once Xenoblade drops. I have Soul Hackers preordered also, but I’m not sure my priority level exactly on that one. Looks cool for sure. NIS Classics Vol 3 comes out right after that with Rhapsody which I always wanted to play regardless of quality and Trails From Zero is officially dropping in September. I played it two years ago, but I’m so excited to play it officially on Switch (going to be perfect on it). Very glad a lot of cool stuff is dropping soon, but it’s overwhelming lol.
Same here and I went digital on xbc3 even.

Trying to see if I can push through Digimon cyberslueth first tho, I have the firepower and I’m on chapter 10

Same here. Not as old as Phantasy Star but shout outs to Earthbound Beginnings, Final Fantasy III, and Sweet Home.

Is Trails from Zero the first of the Crossbell games? I don't know enough of my Trails lore, but I seem to remember that being the case. I'd like to play that and go back to Sky before I eventually (maybe) finally play Cold Steel 3

Is Trails from Zero the first of the Crossbell games? I don't know enough of my Trails lore, but I seem to remember that being the case. I'd like to play that and go back to Sky before I eventually (maybe) finally play Cold Steel 3
It is, Zero is the first and Ao/Azure is the second.

Yeah as Dunban said above, Trails From Zero is the first of the two Crossbell games. It’s the fourth game in the series overall and is the most standalone game in the series besides the first Sky game and is thus a great entry point into the greater series. Cool thing too, it’s a complete game with no big cliffhanger, so while Azure is an amazing sequel, you still get a full experience here.

I keep kicking around making a big hype thread for it to share my excitement for the game. We are getting pretty close now, barely two months to go, so it feels like the time is right.

Decided to give FF15 a shot after all sometime soon and got it on sale, so that is a thing that happened.

Yeah as Dunban said above, Trails From Zero is the first of the two Crossbell games. It’s the fourth game in the series overall and is the most standalone game in the series besides the first Sky game and is thus a great entry point into the greater series. Cool thing too, it’s a complete game with no big cliffhanger, so while Azure is an amazing sequel, you still get a full experience here.

I keep kicking around making a big hype thread for it to share my excitement for the game. We are getting pretty close now, barely two months to go, so it feels like the time is right.
That’s good to hear, and makes me much more inclined to pick it up. I’ve played Sky for like… 5 hours? And beaten Cold Steel 1 and 2, that’s my only Trails experience. But I don’t remember feeling lost or missing anything in CS really, even if they do take place later.

Swapped out Hope for Vanille and am doing a lot better all of a sudden. Laterally all it took.

That’s good to hear, and makes me much more inclined to pick it up. I’ve played Sky for like… 5 hours? And beaten Cold Steel 1 and 2, that’s my only Trails experience. But I don’t remember feeling lost or missing anything in CS really, even if they do take place later.
While i do agree that Zero is a fine starting point, i would still suggest to play Sky beforehand because Zero offers a follow-up to one important storyline set up in Sky and features characters from that trilogy from the get go.

I know its a big undertaking because these games aren't short but it pays off big time imo.

Swapped out Hope for Vanille and am doing a lot better all of a sudden. Laterally all it took.
I think Vanille is the best medic in the game while Hope is the best ravager? Depending on what you’re using that party slot for the character can make a big difference.

I think Vanille is the best medic in the game while Hope is the best ravager? Depending on what you’re using that party slot for the character can make a big difference.
Yeah, that is what I figured. I needed a potent healer.

Still, Kaiser Behemoth seems like too bug a task for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom