• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I haven't played it yet, but friends have given me a heads-up for it, FF8 is in a weird position where knowing a handful of things about how its combat system works can be the difference between breezing through it or finding it insurmountably hard.
VIII I think is the only mainline game where monster levels scale with your party. So you're pretty much forced into needing to understand the game's systems since grinding your way through isn't going to cut it. Which is probably why the central gimmick of the final dungeon is removing pretty much every bonus you have and requiring you to go through a gauntlet of boss encounters to unlock them one at a time.

VIII I think is the only mainline game where monster levels scale with your party. So you're pretty much forced into needing to understand the game's systems since grinding your way through isn't going to cut it. Which is probably why the central gimmick of the final dungeon is removing pretty much every bonus you have and requiring you to go through a gauntlet of boss encounters to unlock them one at a time.
What is funny about that is leveling makes VIII harder, rather than just staying around level 30 and avoiding battles. By using the systems in place, and given how limit breaks work, you can effectively overpower and break the game by setting yourself up early on and just mowing through every mandatory encounter.

Beat Mother 3 again, still an incredible game and I wish it'd get localized and rereleased properly so more people could experience it.

Tried Ys Origin too and it ended up being far too difficult for me. Never got past the first boss below half health after an horu of attempts so I put it down for now and I'll try Parasite Eve instead.

What is funny about that is leveling makes VIII harder, rather than just staying around level 30 and avoiding battles. By using the systems in place, and given how limit breaks work, you can effectively overpower and break the game by setting yourself up early on and just mowing through every mandatory encounter.
It’s also incredibly broken if you invest time into Chocobo World

That final dungeon though... it may be gimmick-y, but it might be my favorite final dungeon in any FF game. The look, the music, the atmosphere, etc., are all top notch

I'd like to squeeze in one more RPG before Xenoblade 3 comes out, and I'm going to let this thread choose which game for me because I can't decide. It's between these three:

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light
  • Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
  • Trails in the Sky FC

The Fire Emblem leaks (and subsequent disappointment of having to wait longer to see a trailer) have made me want to get around to some of the games I still haven't played yet, and those two have been in my backlog for a while. Trails is a series I've always put off starting because of how many games there are, but I'm pretty sure it's something I'd like and I have to actually dive into the games at some point if I want to get into the series.

I'd like to squeeze in one more RPG before Xenoblade 3 comes out, and I'm going to let this thread choose which game for me because I can't decide. It's between these three:

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light
  • Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
  • Trails in the Sky FC

The Fire Emblem leaks (and subsequent disappointment of having to wait longer to see a trailer) have made me want to get around to some of the games I still haven't played yet, and those two have been in my backlog for a while. Trails is a series I've always put off starting because of how many games there are, but I'm pretty sure it's something I'd like and I have to actually dive into the games at some point if I want to get into the series.
I’m always going to recommend Trails in the Sky, one of my favorite games ever made :) It reminds me of all the SNES and PS1 JRPG classics more than any other. Plus it’s the start of a huge grand adventure like no other in gaming.

I’m always going to recommend Trails in the Sky, one of my favorite games ever made :) It reminds me of all the SNES and PS1 JRPG classics more than any other. Plus it’s the start of a huge grand adventure like no other in gaming.
I need to get back to Trails in the Sky someday, I got a bit into it and wasn't vibing with the look and feel for whatever reason. But I have since played Cold Steel 1 and 2 so I get a lot more what the series does and is about now, so I might enjoy it more with that perspective I think

I need to get back to Trails in the Sky someday, I got a bit into it and wasn't vibing with the look and feel for whatever reason. But I have since played Cold Steel 1 and 2 so I get a lot more what the series does and is about now, so I might enjoy it more with that perspective I think
Yeah the first one is a bit of a slow burn which I ultimately love, but it took a while on my first playthrough to fully click (IIRC by the third town was when I was really sold on the game and series and what it does/offers). If you have Cold Steel experience it’s definitely going to be more familiar and comforting then. I do ultimately like the graphics/presentation a lot, but I will say the character models are not necessarily my favorite (no mouths bother me). The monster sprites are good.

One of the coolest things btw if you have Cold Steel experience is seeing how they translated the series into more detailed 3D. The look of objects and building design in Sky is really transferred into future games.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Trails. Even if I won't get around to the rest of the Sky trilogy for at least a couple months because of Xenoblade, it probably still makes more sense to play FC now. I'll still be in the mood to play one of those FE games later this year, but if I put off Trails again, a couple years could pass before I actually get around to it.

Live-action Persona. Now, this I want to see, but Sega needs to put some budget behind this. Visuals and music are key for this to be a success imo.

"Atlus' worlds are filled with high drama, cutting-edge style and compelling characters," says Toru Nakahara, Sega's lead producer on the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movies and Sonic Prime TV series.
Sega didn't confirm which production companies it's interested in working with, other than to say that it is currently exploring live-action film and TV projects with various studios and producers.

Live-action Persona. Now, this I want to see, but Sega needs to put some budget behind this. Visuals and music are key for this to be a success imo.

Oh god this is going to be a Netflix production isn't it?

I mean, it almost sounds like it could be a slightly more light hearted version of Stranger Things...sooooooo...

"Mom can we have a Persona 5 live action series"
"But we already have a P5 Live action at home"

iDcRJ3G.jpg
6HjZJUn.jpg

3NopLsr.jpg
HWG3Ih6.jpg

They literally only have to change they sentai suits from lupinranger to the ones of P5 lol

I mean, it almost sounds like it could be a slightly more light hearted version of Stranger Things...sooooooo...
Yeah but after watching how they butchered Cowboy Bebop and likely rush GitS 2045 I’m not getting my hopes up if it turns out that’s the production company. Which it likely is given how hard Netflix has been leaning into anime and game related content the last couple years.

Yeah but after watching how they butchered Cowboy Bebop and likely rush GitS 2045 I’m not getting my hopes up if it turns out that’s the production company. Which it likely is given how hard Netflix has been leaning into anime and game related content the last couple years.
Can't argue against your logic here.

Your concerns are justified, but let's hope this will be a Japanese-only production. For better or worse.

A Persona 5 tv series has so much potential! The anime was extremely average, so it would be nice to see someone else take a shot at it.

Hey Netflix at least brought Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts back for Cowboy Bebop. Persona is another series that would really need the original musical team, imo

Hey RPG thread! I wanted to guage interest in something. A while back on era, they did a 101 essential RPGs thread and me and some other folks were thinking of creating a new one for Famiboards. How would you all feel about that, do you think we could do a full 101 with this community size, and do you have any suggestions on what you’d like to see?
Hey everyone, just a follow up to this, I’m not sure I have the availability to get this ready this month. It’s still coming sooner or later, but I’d really like to give this the attention it deserves.

Does anyone else have certain types of RPGs they're just not good at? I'm generally good at turn-based games like Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, the Trails series, and Final Fantasy X. Action RPGs, on the other hand, can be really hit or miss for me. Some examples:
  • Xenoblade (new 3DS version): it felt like I didn't know what I was doing for most of what I played, even when I read tutorials. I kept dying to the spider boss early on and was never motivated to try the series again. This was a long time ago, so maybe I was just unintelligent.
  • Tales of Arise: the combat clicked well early on, but later on the AI party kept getting themselves killed in important fights. I remember one fight where everyone else died but I was able to solo it just fine. I didn't realize there was a detailed tactics menu until later, but by then I turned the difficulty down and just wanted it to be done.
  • FF7 Remake: example of one that worked for me. I guess it's kind of a hybrid between action/turn-based, but it felt easier to recognize each character's strengths and how to use them. The enemies almost never overwhelmed me in this one.
I think I've gotten better in recent years, but on the other hand I have less patience, so when things go wrong I just turn the difficulty down. Does anyone else struggle with certain types of RPGs while excelling on others?

Does anyone else have certain types of RPGs they're just not good at? I'm generally good at turn-based games like Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, the Trails series, and Final Fantasy X. Action RPGs, on the other hand, can be really hit or miss for me. Some examples:
  • Xenoblade (new 3DS version): it felt like I didn't know what I was doing for most of what I played, even when I read tutorials. I kept dying to the spider boss early on and was never motivated to try the series again. This was a long time ago, so maybe I was just unintelligent.
  • Tales of Arise: the combat clicked well early on, but later on the AI party kept getting themselves killed in important fights. I remember one fight where everyone else died but I was able to solo it just fine. I didn't realize there was a detailed tactics menu until later, but by then I turned the difficulty down and just wanted it to be done.
  • FF7 Remake: example of one that worked for me. I guess it's kind of a hybrid between action/turn-based, but it felt easier to recognize each character's strengths and how to use them. The enemies almost never overwhelmed me in this one.
I think I've gotten better in recent years, but on the other hand I have less patience, so when things go wrong I just turn the difficulty down. Does anyone else struggle with certain types of RPGs while excelling on others?
I’m good at turn-based systems, I like Etrian Odyssey, SMT, Dragon Quest and any sort of SRPG. Action rpgs I’m OK at- I love Monster Hunter and happily fly through the endgames of them. For me something like Xenoblade is the worst of both worlds, in that there’s endless mechanics, they are plastered all over the screen, but the combat doesn’t really let you dig into what your team is doing in the moment. If I’m playing an action rpg I’d rather just have direct control (Ys, Monster Hunter) than have allies queuing up attacks and watching the AI either have them killed or unable to make reasonable choices in the face of a boss fight. The last Tales game I played just had my allies endlessly dying by running into big AoE spells, meaning I either let them use big consumables and they eat the whole stack, or I don’t at which point I’m doing 99% of the work anyway.

With the time I find hard to play any srpg like disgaea. I remember I was able to spend over 200 hrs but now I find really hard to manage the squad and overall the action too slow that one battle cant take 10+ minutes. At least in FE you have limited units so it easier

FF7 Remake is one of them for me. Something about its combat just didn't click, and despite beating the game I feel like I never entirely understood or "got" it.

Ditto very fast action-RPG combat like Kingdom Hearts. When it gets to that speed or even becomes combo-y I'm just not very good at it. Tales games fit here too to some degree.

I stall out on srpgs due to choice indecision unless they’re more streamlined like Super Robot Wars

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Trails. Even if I won't get around to the rest of the Sky trilogy for at least a couple months because of Xenoblade, it probably still makes more sense to play FC now. I'll still be in the mood to play one of those FE games later this year, but if I put off Trails again, a couple years could pass before I actually get around to it.
Update: I started Trails in the Sky three days ago, and have already played for 16 hours...

I love Dragon Quest. I adore Dragon Quest. I'm all about that Dragon Quest lifestyle. All the time people be asking me, "WhyS, what two characteristics define you as a person?" And all the time I be telling them that's easy, dragoning and questing. (I used be like warrioring, but I've changed over the years.)

However, I'm a fraud. A fake fan. Despite my professed reverence for Dragon Quest, I've never played Dragon Quest V. 😢 It's true. One of the pillars of the franchise, and among the best games ever made, has eluded me for all these years. I'm ashamed of myself. I've been living a lie, and I will return my g*mer card.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V. I played the Super Famicom and DS versions years ago. In fact, Dragon Quest IV and V were the first two games in the franchise I played, which is an easy way to become a fan of the franchise very quickly. I just love Dragon Quest V so much that I want to play every version of it ever made, so tonight I started playing Dragon Quest V on PlayStation 2, and it's so good!

I want to share a couple of pointless little tidbits about the game. First off, despite this version having come out in 2004, there is still a character that tells you that you have to equip weapons and armor for them to do anything. I know that they mostly just took the script from the original game and put it into this version, but it's still interesting seeing that bit of early JRPG game design present in a PS2 release. Also, and far more interesting, is that the box art for the PS2 game features a green slime. There were no green slimes at this point in the series, and I've heard that when asked about it, Toriyama said that he forgot slimes were blue. Now I'm not sure if that's true or just a believable story because it's Toriyama, but I choose to believe. Also, it might seem unrealistic that no one would have pointed that out to Toriyama beforehand, but a new Dragon Ball movie came out recently, and it's called Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, which sounds just as silly in Japanese as it does in English. Toriyama provided the subtitle for the movie, and has said that he forgot the series was called Dragon Ball Super now, which is why the name is as ridiculous as it is. So Toriyama forgetting something and no one correcting his mistake is par for the course.

A new trailer for Valkyrie Elysium is floating around and well...it doesn't look bad at all?

Way better showing than the announcement trailer, might actually day one it.

I took a break on Tales of Vesperia to go back to FF9. My goodness is FF9 sensational storytelling wise. I just finished at Creya and my heart was heavy.

Im playing through the first fallout. And i think my dream remake would be the first two games remade by obsidian with Deadfires RTwP combat with qol fixes and proper mod support

Reached chapter 17 in Xenoblade DE. Glad the Mechonis part is over. Granted, as @SammyJ9 pointed out, some of the music is really good. Also, because of the major story events that happen here, I had to make sure to finish all side missions that are timed.
That being said, the story doesn't disappoint, even when knowing what's going to happen. These are some great character and story revelations after all the teases, tidbits, and cryptic scenes we've seen up to this point. And tragic for so many characters, something that hit me harder now than years ago during my first playthrough. Poor Melia.

Now, before heading to the path that leads to the final boss, I'm going to finish all missions, increase the harmony of the party members (neglected Sharla way too much) building Colony 6 and fighting unique bosses. That will probably take another 10 hours before moving on with the story.
One thing I dislike is how advanced art books can only be obtained through gold chests, and the chances are pretty low each time. It's just annoying to have so many AP for a character, but the arts I want to level up are locked.

Reached chapter 17 in Xenoblade DE. Glad the Mechonis part is over. Granted, as @SammyJ9 pointed out, some of the music is really good. Also, because of the major story events that happen here, I had to make sure to finish all side missions that are timed.
That being said, the story doesn't disappoint, even when knowing what's going to happen. These are some great character and story revelations after all the teases, tidbits, and cryptic scenes we've seen up to this point. And tragic for so many characters, something that hit me harder now than years ago during my first playthrough. Poor Melia.

Now, before heading to the path that leads to the final boss, I'm going to finish all missions, increase the harmony of the party members (neglected Sharla way too much) building Colony 6 and fighting unique bosses. That will probably take another 10 hours before moving on with the story.
One thing I dislike is how advanced art books can only be obtained through gold chests, and the chances are pretty low each time. It's just annoying to have so many AP for a character, but the arts I want to level up are locked.
Yeah that was a bad decision with the advanced books. I ended up just killing whatever monster I needed to to drop the book and then save scumming with the chest on-screen until I got it. Kind of cheap, but it's a dumb system IMO so I don't really mind. Glad you're enjoying the endgame! It does a lot of cool things, and I love how it comes back around to the Bionis and how the story all comes together.

The new Valkyrie Elysium trailer dropped officially a few hours ago. It does look significantly better than the first trailer. I like a good action RPG so I’m definitely picking this up now.

The digital deluxe edition comes with the PS4/PS5 port of the PSP version of Lenneth. Never played it so I can’t speak to it.

It's apparently running on Sony's own PSP emulator, same as SOTN latest release which is still Playstation exclusive to this day.
Ah i always feel weird when they those when a Mobile port that is the same as the PSP release but HD exist

But u suppose that Tactics Ogre and Tactics are their choice for remasters of PSP games

Forspoken is delayed again. Coming January 24th now.

Edit: Removed Tweet since it was causing the page to crash for me. Link here.

Was just thinking about it yesterday that I’m still weirdly not too hyped for this game even though I adored FFXV. The Game Informer cover story did relatively more than any trailer for me so far, but still didn’t move the needle too far. Hope it turns out ok. Square has an absolutely packed line up this year, so it’s not really that bad it got delayed out.

Last edited:
Forspoken is delayed again. Coming January 24th now.

Was just thinking about it yesterday that I’m still weirdly not too hyped for this game even though I adored FFXV. The Game Informer cover story did relatively more than any trailer for me so far, but still didn’t move the needle too far. Hope it turns out ok. Square has an absolutely packed line up this year, so it’s not really that bad it got delayed out.

I think most people just don't really have a good feel for what the game even is or how it plays yet. I keep forgetting it exists, honestly; nothing about it has grabbed me yet despite it seeming like the kind of thing that might interest me. January might be a good release spot for it though, since while early 2023 is packed I think most of it will probably be February-March, right?

A new Valkyrie Profile game.... but not on Switch! It is such a niche series that this decision is mind boggling. Same with the new Star Ocean, which each entry becomes more and more niche.

It's apparently running on Sony's own PSP emulator, same as SOTN latest release which is still Playstation exclusive to this day.
I think the Steam version is also getting Lenneth?

Also, and far more interesting, is that the box art for the PS2 game features a green slime. There were no green slimes at this point in the series, and I've heard that when asked about it, Toriyama said that he forgot slimes were blue.

Sure there were, they're the steeds of slime knights (which are introduced in DQ5 even).

I think most people just don't really have a good feel for what the game even is or how it plays yet. I keep forgetting it exists, honestly; nothing about it has grabbed me yet despite it seeming like the kind of thing that might interest me. January might be a good release spot for it though, since while early 2023 is packed I think most of it will probably be February-March, right?
I think they've done a terrible job of marketing it so far. Nothing about it has really screamed "must have" and honestly all I can remember about is "open-world looking" and "definitely by the FF XV team". I couldn't tell you anything about the world, the characters, the systems, etc. There's not much of a hook for it right now.

The new Valkyrie Elysium trailer dropped officially a few hours ago. It does look significantly better than the first trailer. I like a good action RPG so I’m definitely picking this up now.

The digital deluxe edition comes with the PS4/PS5 port of the PSP version of Lenneth. Never played it so I can’t speak to it.

Combat looks floaty to me, PSP version is interesting. I guess they're remastering it with upgraded resolution and framerate?

I think they've done a terrible job of marketing it so far. Nothing about it has really screamed "must have" and honestly all I can remember about is "open-world looking" and "definitely by the FF XV team". I couldn't tell you anything about the world, the characters, the systems, etc. There's not much of a hook for it right now.
The coolest thing for me is definitely the parkour/movement looks really fun. I'm also kind of intrigued by the structure, basically everything below the mountaintops is shrouded in miasma that corrupts everything and the more dense it is the more aggressive and warped the world is. I like getting into trouble in games, so that part sounds really cool if I can head into areas I'm not supposed to in the early game. The writers attached have me intrigued as well and their vision for the story and characters sounds interesting.

Aside from the movement, none of that was conveyed in trailers though so :/

Back
Top Bottom