• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I love RPGs and I love @xghost777...how have I never posted here! I hope you enjoy XC3 @EvilChameleon, it's a goodie and holy moly does it go some places.

The IGN guide tells me I'm about 2/3 of the way through the main quest in FFXVI. Really been enjoying it. I appreciate the way it sets up its brutal, unforgiving world and sticks to its guns. The voice acting is - I think - the best to have ever graced the series. And I'm interested to see how things pan out. It's a pretty long game, so I probably won't play the DLC right away...especially since I've got Nioh 2 and FFVII Rebirth on my dance card.

Role-playing games! Yeah!
Have you played the first Nioh? I really like Nioh 2 a lot - takes basically everything the first game does well and just adds to it or does it even better.

I love RPGs and I love @xghost777...how have I never posted here! I hope you enjoy XC3 @EvilChameleon, it's a goodie and holy moly does it go some places.

The IGN guide tells me I'm about 2/3 of the way through the main quest in FFXVI. Really been enjoying it. I appreciate the way it sets up its brutal, unforgiving world and sticks to its guns. The voice acting is - I think - the best to have ever graced the series. And I'm interested to see how things pan out. It's a pretty long game, so I probably won't play the DLC right away...especially since I've got Nioh 2 and FFVII Rebirth on my dance card.

Role-playing games! Yeah!
Heck yeah! Glad you joined the party here big lantern ghost :)

Also glad you are enjoying Final Fantasy XVI! I also really dug the voice acting as it really brought the characters I loved so much in the Hideaway especially to life. Curious to hear your thoughts as you wrap it up!

Looking forward to getting back into XVI myself with the DLC once I wrap up Dragon’s Dogma II. Been posting in the ST so far, but when I’m done I’ll be sharing my thoughts here :)

Have you played the first Nioh? I really like Nioh 2 a lot - takes basically everything the first game does well and just adds to it or does it even better.
It feels like it was 1000 years ago at this point, but yes! I did play (but did not finish) the first Nioh. Glad to see someone in here who's played 2, because I like to ask questions and I feel like I will have a lot of them for that game.

Heck yeah! Glad you joined the party here big lantern ghost :)

Also glad you are enjoying Final Fantasy XVI! I also really dug the voice acting as it really brought the characters I loved so much in the Hideaway especially to life. Curious to hear your thoughts as you wrap it up!

Looking forward to getting back into XVI myself with the DLC once I wrap up Dragon’s Dogma II. Been posting in the ST so far, but when I’m done I’ll be sharing my thoughts here :)
Dragon's Dogma 2 looks so good. I watched Nextlander play some and it unlocked Vinny's inner goof in a huge way, which is always a selling point for me. Looking forward to your thoughts on the whole enchilada!

I didn't get the DLC for XVI...perhaps I should before I wrap it up.

It feels like it was 1000 years ago at this point, but yes! I did play (but did not finish) the first Nioh. Glad to see someone in here who's played 2, because I like to ask questions and I feel like I will have a lot of them for that game.
I've played it twice - the first time through I got to the last 'zone' but stopped playing for whatever reason, and then I went back and played it again a year later and beat it. It's a long game, and can be tough until you get used to some of the mechanics and how to fight certain enemies (not that that's much different from the first game).

IIRC I ran the basic katana playthrough 1, and then did switchglaive playthrough 2 - both were fun but I think I liked the switchglaive more.

The Angel's Poem / Tenshi no Uta series on the PC-Engine are getting re-released on switch. (Gematsu)

No English version yet, but I assume it's going to be part of the crowdfunding campaign, so if it goes well enough we'll see english versions like Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 and (most likely) 3-4. I'm quite happy some rpgs that didn't make it to the turbografx-16 in the west are finally coming over.

AP 1+2 are not even fantranslated but the super famicom game (which is not included in this collection) got one in 2018, for anyone interested.

I try to access the party chat decently often, but there's only so far that will go in this game. I fucking love party chat, but VIII and XI nerf it from its former glory to mostly being the characters talking about what just happened in the plot and reminding you where to go, like a bunch of Navis with personality. Tatls, then.

None of the party members besides Yangus have really grown on me over time. There's a reason he got the spinoff. Even the devs seemed biased towards him. I feel like he gets way more dialogue than the others, and he's always the one who has a back and forth with Trode. Trode hardly ever interacts with the other two.

Oh, right, four technically. I wrote this whole thing and forgot to even mention the 3DS exclusive characters. From a writing perspective, they really aren't worth mentioning. They're pretty one dimensional, especially Morrie, whose entire personality can be summed up in the words "PASSIONATE" and "Italian". I swapped Yangus out for Morrie after I got him because Yangus basically carries for the first half of the game with high stats and then immediately craters once the other characters can actually do something while he doesn't get any good abilities to keep up. Ironically, using Morrie has made me much more reliant on Tension in these later fights against bosses who can instantly dispel it whenever they want. By the way, it's a little weird how Red becomes playable right after the game points out that she isn't good at fighting compared to your party. Really selling us on using her there! I don't think she's actually even bad either...

So, Angelo is a fuckboy, and not an especially charming one like Olivier in Trails in the Sky. I kind of like that he's actually horribly messed up by his upbringing and his persona is transparently a two-faced coping mechanism to give him an outlet for his bad home life. Despite everything he's trying to do the right thing anyway, but that doesn't necessarily make him likeable. If you came out and your parents disowned you, Angelo would help, but he'd casually call you slurs when you weren't in the room. His highlight is definitely his emotionally complicated relationship with Marcello, but he mostly talks about poker or smelling the pheromones of women.

Jessica has a party chat line in the Dragon Graveyard where she tells Carrie to make up with her brother after this is over, and Carrie is just annoyed and tells her to butt out and where does she get off treating her like she's her mother? This is the kind of subtle, thoughtful, "show don't tell" character writing that makes Dragon Quest so great in a genre full of characters who all stop to emptily react to every event, talk in circles constantly rehashing the same points, and repeat the same unfunny gags ad nauseum (which were already unfunny when some anime first used them 30 years ago).

Of course, I say that, but an indirect expression of how her brother's death impacted her is probably the most nuance Jessica has been given the whole game. Jessica as a character talks about the subject of revenge a lot, and I'm not exactly sure if she has anything else going on? She seems frequently pessimistic? But man, I think this is the low point for the series' treatment of female characters. I hope it is. Because Jessica as a sex object is what she really seems to be about.

Jessica gets it so much worse than Jade did, and Jade didn't have it great. Her design alone is pretty bad in-game. I mean, I knew she had cleavage, but it's like, really out there, and she jiggles whenever she moves. There's this weird, uh, gameplay and story segregation surrounding her sexiness, which is a sentence. In addition to three weapon trees and fisticuffs, each character has an exclusive skill tree which basically represents their main trait. Jessica's is Sex Appeal, which is generally about realizing her sexiness and weaponizing it. And she wouldn't be the first whip-wielding over-the-top horny-sink dominatrix character in a JRPG or anything. Trails in the Sky had one of those too! Except that wasn't where they took it at all. She's actually fairly serious and no-nonsense, nothing about her behavior is provocative and she's just wearing a dress that doesn't fit her right. A character who uses sex like that is probably the number one thing I actually don't trust Dragon Quest to write based on its track record, but Jessica is just an exploitative mess without internal consistency.

I thought XI was for sure the worst in the series about sex, but it was mostly just unfunny, this one actually veers into being kind of gross about it. There's a ton of boy's club stuff in the middle part of the game, including that one area in Baccarat that's one step removed from being a strip club. There's some leering, this one guy keeps calling her a bimbo... Just really ramping up the amount of passive moderate sexism.

Lastly and not really least, there's Trode. I think this is the first time the series did a non-combatant party member like this, and he's got more going for him than most of the combatant party members. I mean, he'd better; as impotent as he is he's really the one driving the plot, and the subtitle is Journey of the Cursed King and everything.

There's a weird sort of dissonance to kings (and specifically kings, though I suppose it applies to the occasional queen as well) in Dragon Quest, maybe it's just a me thing, but normally they don't get a lot of screentime anyway so I've never given it a lot of thought until now. It's got to do with how, in Dragon Quest, the king is always Just Some Guy. There's usually at least a little decorum, it's rarely the case that they're actively trying to make him a ridiculous character, but they just lack the kind of formality and seriousness the king has in Zelda or something. The king in Dragon Quest is very literally approachable. You can just go up and talk to him, he's just hanging out in his chair, even if he's swamped with responsibilities or facing a crisis he's usually still weirdly down to earth and reasonable for a guy coming from a bloodline wielding absolute authority.

Anyway, this makes it all the stranger when the two seemingly mutually exclusive concepts of the king being a funny little goblin man you're traveling with and the whole weird-ass arranged marriage situation subplot collide. That's such a strange fairytale justification for a political situation that we get to see a relatively grounded perspective on. "Our parents couldn't be together, so wouldn't it be romantic if our children married in their stead?" I guess it's the sort of thing these silly Dragon Quest kings would come up with, but reality sure isn't lining up with their romanticism. I feel like Dragon Quest often does run on that kind of logic though, so I'm not sure if this is intentional subversion or...

Thing is, Trode is so protective of Medea, but I don't think he ever actually voiced any discontent with the idea of her having to marry Charmles, even after seeing firsthand how awful he was. It's hard to believe he'd be happy about the arranged marriage in the first place, giving his beloved daughter away to some man she's never met. He's self-important, but he's not the type of royal who seems to value status as everything and would actually think this is what's best for her. And it's weird that a character like this is dealing with this kind of Weird Monarchy Shit to begin with. He's just a little guy, you're telling me he's beholden to the promises of his dynasty? Dragon Quest kings are weird.

Oh, right, Medea. Suddenly, she becomes an actual character, and starts talking. I don't know if they've convinced me yet. What I mean is, I'm not sure she isn't just a means of jerking off the player. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she is. IIRC the original ending of the game involves the hero marrying her, and so far I feel like this whole affair is mostly just in service of making her Waifu Material. She just told me that she used to think of him as an older brother, but now sees him as a man, which is uh...

I guess she serves as a means of learning a little bit about the hero's past. He's been a complete non-entity otherwise. It's the endgame and all we really know about him so far is that he has a weird mouse and he's immune to Dhoulmagus's cursed thorns somehow. Could go off on a rant about silent protagonists and why they're so frequently a waste of space in games like this or XI (as opposed to DQV, which I consider the most masterful use of a silent protagonist I've ever seen), but this is long enough already.

Red and Morrie were never meant to be part of the main crew and DQ8 is by and large written around the main four characters, so without some serious rewriting it's natural that the 3ds characters kinda feel one-note in comparison. Still gameplay-wise they're very useful especially in the post game.

And fwiw the main character's entire backstory gets beautifully explained in the post game indeed (e.g. his mouse companion, the fact that he can't be cursed etc.). It is kind of annoying that later era DQ games tend to leave important worldbuilding details for the after-credits so that most people stop and never experience them. DQ8's hero is one of the more intriguing silent protagonists because of this, and far more interesting than your typical "MC is the chosen one, no further questions allowed".

Dragon's Dogma 2 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth arrived today (as did Eiyuden Chronicles HH, but that's for my partner).

I suspect I'll have more fun with DD2, but if there's actually a performance patch coming I feel I should start with Rebirth in the meantime. (Sorry Arise fans.)

Last night I finished Dragon’s Dogma II and I wanted to share some longer thoughts about it here. Short version to kick off though, I loved this game a ton and I think it’s sitting as my second favorite game this year so far. While it poses a good challenge and has elements of friction that may not be for everyone (limited saving and balancing the loss gauge for example), I think a lot of people should give this game (or its predecessor on Switch and other platforms) a shot if you haven’t as all of it really leaves a great, lasting impression.

My favorite element of the game is certainly the dense and good sized open world, as it feels so thoughtfully and beautifully crafted from top to bottom. As a result of the limited fast travel options, you become so familiar with it as you plan trips carefully and regularly traverse back and forth on familiar roads. Beyond them you’ll frequently discover unique caves to explore often filled with dangerous monsters and treasures. The inviting terrain, weather effects, raw graphical strength, etc. also help make the world an engaging place to be in and help inspire and drive an amazing sense of adventure. While I didn’t tackle every challenge, I did make sure to explore every inch of the world before I began wrapping the game up.

The other major pillars of the game are the combat and pawn systems. Combat is certainly one of the more unique features of Dragon’s Dogma as it strangely doesn’t feature dodge rolls. The emphasis then is largely on aggression and, with a swordfighter at least, countering attacks. If a big sweeping attack is coming, you’ll instead either want to run away then or if it’s a big monster jump on their backs which both work well enough. As a huge fan of Shadow of the Colossus, climbing on big cyclops, golems, dragons etc is super fun and was one of my go to strategies whenever possible and regularly lead to some of my favorite memories in the game. I mostly stuck to the sword fighter throughout, but I did try two other vocations for a while, the archer and magic archer. Both of those jobs really cemented my feelings on the game’s combat that it is most concerned with being snappy and exciting as the only gauge you really have to manage besides health and the loss gauge is stamina.

Incidentally, the loss gauge btw is the small permanent max health loss that adds up with each fight from regular enemy attacks. The primary way to recover it is by sleeping which also commits you to a hard save of your single hard save file. This system, paired with minimal fast travel, isn’t too punishing ultimately (one minor, memorable quirk aside that I somehow never encountered), but it does hang over all of your actions and makes everything more meaningful.

As for pawns, if you are unfamiliar, basically the way both Dragon’s Dogma games are set up is that your regular party of four is filled with your main character, an AI pawn you create who is fairly competent in battle, and then two pawns you get from others over the internet that you regularly swap out to have different classes, abilities, and higher levels. While your character is silent, pawns are generally jolly and very talkative with some repeated lines here and there (None in Dragon’s Dogma II are as iconic as “Wolves are weak to fire Arisen!” for better or for worse haha). Pawns also help out by giving advice and guidance in quests, helping to carry all of the items you have, and with specific abilities (one literally saved my very final quest by understanding Elvish). While the pawn system doesn’t replicate a true online co-op experience (which darn, I’d love to see that), it does really help further personalize your adventure and gives a great sense of community to the game.

There’s certainly more to talk about, such as how cool the quest system is with characters approaching you and giving you little direction at times, but this post is getting long so I’ll wrap it up here. Dragon’s Dogma II is a tremendous game that I highly recommend. Not sure what my next big RPG will be yet exactly (I had put Unicorn Overlord on pause once I got hooked on Dragon’s Dogma), but at least immediately next I have the Final Fantasy XVI Rising Tide DLC downloaded so I’m starting that tonight.

Eiyuden Chronicle Switch footage. You can definitely see the stutter when the world moves, but also looks playable to me.

Yeah, definitely looks playable, hopefully some patches can smooth out some of the roughness.

I'm excited to see how this game pans out.

I'm playing Persona 4 for the first time. That super funky colorful opening in a serial crime game is quite something, it's awesome. It feels like it takes a way longer while to really start, though.
Those first two hours are literally nothing but cutscenes, when I first played it I put it down for a year because of that.

Just met rival faction us in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and this game is going places.

I REALLY need to get back to my Xenoblade 1 playthrough, have not played any of them but fell off a bit due to how many side quests there were and other games. Going to get back to it soon and take advice from most and only do side quests from named NPC's (I believe that's what they said) and the others just if they get done while out and about they get done.

I'm playing Persona 4 for the first time. That super funky colorful opening in a serial crime game is quite something, it's awesome. It feels like it takes a way longer while to really start, though.
I ended up quite enjoying the game (after a couple tries) but man it takes a really long time to get going

When you get through that part, it gets good.
It's been enjoyable from the start, tbh, but yeah, those chats with Teddie sure take a while. He's a bro, though.

Also, these teenagers should just take the cursed TVs and bring them to the adults, saves them the trouble lol

Playtime is prob more like 60 hrs without idling.

I RIPPED through this game, I really enjoyed it, yet also kinda agree with its metascore of 66. This game is IMO an example of a "6/10 game" not necessarily being a bad thing... (I personally would put it higher for myself, maybe 7.5)

I played through on Hard difficulty and found it very easy, it would seem all Hard really did was make the enemies spongier, so I don't really suggest it. The gameplay is basically DQ levels of intricate, but I was finding it fun enough. There ARE technical issues and I've had the game "soft lock" on me twice (once I was stuck in a ladder climbing animation after getting off a ladder, when I went back on the ladder the game was stuck on a black screen, the second time, I went to pass in my side quests, and the notification box didn't pop up and I was stuck on the background CG)

The story is the real carrier here and the main reason I love the Utawarerumono series is because the characters and story beats feel leagues above most other JRPGs IMO. There's a very specific type of writing style I get absolutely sucked into and this game delivered that to me. Though that said this is the only Uta game that did not make me cry, though this being a prequel game and knowing what's coming did make some parts feel a little heartbreaking.

I'm also glad I put off playing this after finishing Uta Mask of Truth last April, because... well, this game is certainly getting a sequel. I hope it's revealed this year :eek:

My "Aquaplus binge" continues, with me deciding to check out their OG Xbox ARPG title "Tenerezza"

WNvGoEC.jpeg

If anyone here is a fan of 2000s Falcom titles such as "Gurumin" or "Zwei", this is basically structured just like one of Falcom's games from that time (Again, this being developed by Aquaplus). The game has a single town with many NPCs (all with their own portraits and quite a lot of their own dialogue, of which Tene and her fairy friend Roro are active participants in too) as well as side quests with their own cutscenes and stories. The main story seems to be short-ish, with me now having 2 out of 4 McGuffins with about 8 hours of play time including side quests. Another great thing is that every main story cutscene is fully voiced and the humor is very cute and charming.

d3qMrFx.jpeg

Gameplay wise, the game is not "bad", but it can feel monotonous, it's pretty much just "passable." You get a sword attack that seems to be completely useless, very short range and you can't move while swinging. Your main attack method is through 4 different elemental spells you can swap on the fly. Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. There's no MP meter or anything like that, so you can just keep hurling them. The Wind one seems best to me as it locks on and shoots both behind and in front of you. Again this is an ARPG so you do level up and get skill points, I've been dumping them all into leveling up the Wind magic lol. The thing is, every enemy encounter comes down to: The enemy is charging directly at you, mash A to hurl spells till it dies.

ksDFHky.jpeg

Overall so far, this feels like something I'd pick up on Steam and be having fun with (I am playing this on an actual OG Xbox, but a PC version with small QoL updates does exist, I'm not sure how exactly that runs on modern PCs...). I'd say this is deserving of that PC port getting touched up for Steam and of course getting a translation (there is no fan TL unfortunately, and the game is unplayable without reading the dialogue as you need to read it to know where to go). 2 changes I would make to the game in such a remaster would be: "Boxed in" enemy encounters do not respawn (makes backtracking tedious), Warp back to town option in main menu (you can do this if you find a "Phantom Traveling Shop", but there isn't many of them).

One last thing, this game feels super uncharacteristic for the OG Xbox lol 😂. I consider the console the epitome of "dudebro" (moreso than other Xbox consoles for whatever reason) so playing a cute lighthearted RPG like this on it is amusing in its own way.

About 30 hours into Persona 3 Reloaded and now there's starting to be a semblance of story and antagonists. I never played the original but from what I've heard, this is a pretty faithful remake, maybe almost too faithful. There's definitely a slow point after where there's no real story progression, I can't progress most of my social links any further, I can't progress in Tartar Sauce, and there's no real point in grinding out levels since the XP gains become so minimal. That just leaves you spend evening chugging down ramen or working at the cafe to boost up the social link stats which have no immediate benefit.

They could have helped with the pacing if they moved up when you could start interacting with your party members more or add in activities where you can hang out with them. Kinda like the stuff they added to Persona 5 Royal. Maybe they did add that stuff to the remake but if they did, they didn't add enough and/or it doesn't show up soon enough.

About 30 hours into Persona 3 Reloaded and now there's starting to be a semblance of story and antagonists. I never played the original but from what I've heard, this is a pretty faithful remake, maybe almost too faithful. There's definitely a slow point after where there's no real story progression, I can't progress most of my social links any further, I can't progress in Tartar Sauce, and there's no real point in grinding out levels since the XP gains become so minimal. That just leaves you spend evening chugging down ramen or working at the cafe to boost up the social link stats which have no immediate benefit.

They could have helped with the pacing if they moved up when you could start interacting with your party members more or add in activities where you can hang out with them. Kinda like the stuff they added to Persona 5 Royal. Maybe they did add that stuff to the remake but if they did, they didn't add enough and/or it doesn't show up soon enough.
P3’s story is definitely very protracted. Unlike 4 and 5 I would argue, the big juicy stuff is closer to the end.

My biggest complaint with the game is that the pacing is just really, really bad. I’m in mid-November and it still feels like the plot has only moved ahead a little bit.

The core gameplay is still fun and there’s a lot to like here, but I really don’t see this game beating out 4 and certainly not 5 for me by the end, even if the last couple months are incredible.

I wrapped up the new Final Fantasy XVI Rising Tide DLC tonight! I enjoyed it a lot overall as unlike the last one that felt like just more FFXVI (incredibly rad Omega fight aside), the Rising Tide felt more like what I most loved of FFXVI. The new area is visually exciting with a lush forest with pleasant blue skies throughout and while the layout starts fairly simple it becomes interesting enough by the end for the quests you tackle in it. Incidentally, I did love how the quests tied everything all together as well as the extra abundance of tonberries throughout (those little guys are having a great year!). I appreciated the relatively much lighter and more traditional fantasy vibe here compared to the main game and it made me wonder if more of something like this could have fit into the base game.

While I didn’t really connect with the new Leviathan abilities aside from being amused it featured Active Reload from Gears of War, the actual Leviathan fight (and the fight right before it) was incredible. Unlike the others that had a very Asura’s Wrath vibe most concerned with delivering easy to execute awesome spectacle, this fight was actually challenging with limited healing being acutely felt, a quite tricky health break phase, and many difficult, aggressive attack patterns to evade many back to back. Probably my third favorite Eikon fight now after Bahamut and Titan and definitely my favorite to play. I wasn’t expecting the big reward walking in, a full Ultima moveset, and a new proper RPG arena mode to cap off the DLC. I didn’t really feel like properly challenging it right now as I’m a little burnt out from four Action RPGs almost all back to back, but I did enjoy the one run I did. If I ever revisit FFXVI in the future, I’m very glad this mode was added even if I’m good for now.

Not really sure what I’m playing next at all now that I’m done here and I’m looking to be busy all day tomorrow so I’ll figure it out on Monday. Likely will play a shorter game or two before tackling my next RPG. Feeling a bit burnt out with all of the big back to back games I’ve played lately haha.

My new Dragon Quest XI playthrough, I actually enjoying it even more as the first two times. This game is definitely top 5 material of all time for me.

I need to get back to DQ XIS. I played the original on PS4 but dropped it about halfway into Act 2. Probably the only game that I dropped mostly because of the music. The original midi score really grates on your ears. I usually don't midi tunes but it's the combination of that and just all poorly written and repetitive tracks. The S version's orchestral score helps out a lot but I still didn't find it good. The reason why I stopped the Switch version is because I was playing it in 2020, close to when I was taking my professional exam, so a lot of gaming time got pushed to the side to make way more for more studying. I think I left off in the snowy area in Act I, about 20 hours in. The fast forward options in S really help with the pacing as well.

I need to get back to DQ XIS. I played the original on PS4 but dropped it about halfway into Act 2. Probably the only game that I dropped mostly because of the music. The original midi score really grates on your ears. I usually don't midi tunes but it's the combination of that and just all poorly written and repetitive tracks. The S version's orchestral score helps out a lot but I still didn't find it good. The reason why I stopped the Switch version is because I was playing it in 2020, close to when I was taking my professional exam, so a lot of gaming time got pushed to the side to make way more for more studying. I think I left off in the snowy area in Act I, about 20 hours in. The fast forward options in S really help with the pacing as well.
Best thing about DQXIS is the orchestrated music. If you replace the world map theme with the one from DQVIII that also helps a lot - much better for exploration.

That said, orchestration can only do so much - most of the better songs in the game were all from previous DQ games.

Due to work being completely crazy the last month I haven’t had as much game time as I’d like - so I’m still not done with Persona 3 Reload. Making good progress though - I’m on December 1st at 75 hours played. I think due to having fewer things to do as I near the end I might be able to get through the rest in 10-15 hours but I have no idea how long the end is (or even when the game ends).

May end up splitting time between this and Eiyuden this week since I finally have some vacation time.

Clocking in at 161 hours, I have beaten Unicorn Overlord. The overworld exploration was great and the sidequests was engaging enough. Loved the games approach to handling Dodge Tanks and making Traditional tanks viable. At times the gane felt like a different timeline evolution of Fire Emblem games like Sacred Stone. Officially in my top 3 of Tactics games. My surprise of the year so far.

Playing final fantasy IX, have a random encounter: oh god it’s a trio of Tonberry’s, cheats on, cheats onnnnnnnnnnn!!

Also, now departing Ipsum Castle

I went back to Triangle Strategy to get the "golden route" and the extra ending and I missed this game. Its so good, one thing I did notice on a new playthrough is the performances vary in quality, something I did not notice with other Asano games. Granted I dont really mind it, but some of the cast have a odd direction, like Cordelia and Dragan, but they you have Lionel (Dave Fennoy), the with the goat performances 😅 .

I do hope they continue with this system. Some changes I would made would be the skills characters get. Some of the oddballs have super unique skills but feel underpowered sometimes.

Just watched the Metaphor showcase from earlier today and hoooooo boy I am hooked. It hit all the right notes for me and October can't come soon enough. With P3R kicking the year off, SMTV:V in the middle, and Metaphor near the end Atlus is absolutely cooking this year

I went back to Triangle Strategy to get the "golden route" and the extra ending and I missed this game. Its so good, one thing I did notice on a new playthrough is the performances vary in quality, something I did not notice with other Asano games. Granted I dont really mind it, but some of the cast have a odd direction, like Cordelia and Dragan, but they you have Lionel (Dave Fennoy), the with the goat performances 😅 .

I do hope they continue with this system. Some changes I would made would be the skills characters get. Some of the oddballs have super unique skills but feel underpowered sometimes.
You can tell that the game came out smack-dab in the middle of covid. I will say thought that my absolute favorite performance of the game is English Serenoa on Benedict's route. He has this conversation with Roland where they're both firing on all cylinders, and after an entire game of Serenoa being mild and polite in every situation it's kinda shocking to hear speak with so much passion. I'm wrapping up Frederica's route this weekend, and I'm looking forward to seeing if he'll be the same way there.

Back
Top Bottom