• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Rishi Sunak to be next UK Prime Minister

Maybe if Penny stays on the good list she'll get the Prime Ministership from Santa for Christmas.

Rish! has a lot of work to do, and a lot of convincing of the tory members to perform. He's going to get quite unpopular quite fast if things get worse over the winter, and they can't be kicking the fuel bill can down the road again when they reach it in March.

But hey, at least he won't bankrupt us...which is...an improvement.

NGL Penny withdrawing and no leadership contest right now is about the first sensible political move from the Tories for a long while

Why would anyone want this poisoned chalice, knowing what this winter and 2023 is going to be like?

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I think Sunak is probably here to stay. I don't see him making the kind of catastrophic unforced error Truss did, and the membership has been sidelined to wail and gnash their teeth. He might not be able to stop Labour winning the next election but two years is a long long time in politics.

I'm genuinely worried for the harm he'll bring about, knowing it will be calculating and targeted as opposed to Truss flailing around and Johnson not really caring about governance. Remember this is the guy who openly boasted about funnelling funds meant for deprived areas to his wealthy constituents.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I think Sunak is probably here to stay. I don't see him making the kind of catastrophic unforced error Truss did, and the membership has been sidelined to wail and gnash their teeth. He might not be able to stop Labour winning the next election but two years is a long long time in politics.

I'm genuinely worried for the harm he'll bring about, knowing it will be calculating and targeted as opposed to Truss flailing around and Johnson not really caring about governance. Remember this is the guy who openly boasted about funnelling funds meant for deprived areas to his wealthy constituents.
The thing with Sunak is that as much as everyone makes him out to be this Tory big dog, he's still a total political lightweight.

He was plucked from the backbenchers and made Chancellor because Javid resigned, and Johnson wanted someone compliant who wouldn't argue with him. After a couple of years, he fucked off and disappeared back to the backbenches.

The only notable thing about him apart from his stint as Chancellor is the fact that he's the richest MP.

The thing with Sunak is that as much as everyone makes him out to be this Tory big dog, he's still a total political lightweight.

He was plucked from the backbenchers and made Chancellor because Javid resigned, and Johnson wanted someone compliant who wouldn't argue with him. After a couple of years, he fucked off and disappeared back to the backbenches.

The only notable thing about him apart from his stint as Chancellor is the fact that he's the richest MP.
You're not wrong, but I think Tory MPs and likely the Tory press at least will rally around him as they desperately try to salvage their electoral chances. I expect him to be given something of a soft ride unless he immediately fucks it like Truss did, and while I agree he's a lightweight, I also don't really think he's as monumentally stupid as Truss and will at least try to keep market forces happy as he kicks the poor in the teeth. He's a banker, he knows which side his bread is buttered.

His biggest obstacle is this winter, especially if people turn to mass civil disobedience or rioting. If he makes it through that, I think he'll be taking them into an election in two years time. Might not be enough to save the Tories electorally, but I think they'd rather Sunak than total disintegration.

Edit:

What will the UK do without JRM? It's all downhill from here on out.

/s

Last edited:

What the hell

So she quit for breaking the ministerial code by sharing immigration documents on her personal email. Now she’s back in at one of the most senior positions in the country.

Yes, clearly it’s the tofu-eating wokerati being some kind of conspiratorial alliance here /s

Grim.

Braverman's dream is to send people to Rwanda. Nasty far-right sociopath.

Not that the rest of the cabinet is much better. Hunt as Chancellor likely means turbo-austerity. Coffey in charge of Environment given her voting record on climate change. Badenoch in charge of Women & Equalities, but is an unrepentant transphobe who also voted against buffer zones for abortion clinics and against abortion in Northern Ireland (and has various other horrific views to boot).

I genuinely do worry that if the Tories manage to muddle through the next few years without collapsing into in-fighting, the harm they will do is incalculable.

What the hell

So she quit for breaking the ministerial code by sharing immigration documents on her personal email. Now she’s back in at one of the most senior positions in the country.

Yes, clearly it’s the tofu-eating wokerati being some kind of conspiratorial alliance here /s

Genuinely a huge middle finger to the general public. I wish I could say I'm amazed but...

Back
Top Bottom