• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Return to Monkey Island announced for Switch and PC (UPDATE: out now!)

Dang, Dominic Armato got old. Still sounds pretty good, though.

Devolver, don't you dare work with Limited Run with this one.

Well he has been Guybrush VA since 97 so of course he has gotten old.

i hope they have found a good VA for LeChuck. Big boots to fill after Earl Boen retired many years ago

Dang, Dominic Armato got old. Still sounds pretty good, though.

Devolver, don't you dare work with Limited Run with this one.

While they might have a partnership again with LRG, their physical publishing arm is Special Reserve Games, so I guess you will be surely able to buy it from them. But my guess is that this is too big to leave it just there, I think it will have a proper physical retail release.

I’m not thrilled with the art style, tbh. I was really hoping it‘d be like the two original games, since the devs are basically disregarding the existence of 3 and 4. Oh well, I will still buy it day 1. Excited for playable Elaine!

I’m not thrilled with the art style, tbh. I was really hoping it‘d be like the two original games, since the devs are basically disregarding the existence of 3 and 4. Oh well, I will still buy it day 1. Excited for playable Elaine!
Well, not really, Murray's in the game and the trailer acknowledges Morgan from MI5. They also said they aren't retconning any game out of existence... but there might be some continuity errors (but, well, the saga is already full of them anyway...).

We know will begins exactly where MI2 ended, but we still don't know how everything will fit together with MI3-5.

My theory is that
The game will take place right after MI2 in a sort of metaphysical dimension where past, present and future collide. So it doesn't really matter if Guybrush hasn't met Murray yet, or if Wally is not supposed to be there.

Ron Gilbert already toyed with the idea of a non-physical place in "The Cave" (an awesome game btw), where multiple characters explore a mysterious cave learning more about themselves and the sin they committed.

Replace the cave with Big Whoop or something related to the Secret of Monkey Island and it works pretty well, even with MI3-5 (MI3 is very nebulous about what really happened to Guybrush before the start of the game).

Btw speaking of "the game takes place right after MI2"

sMceHXN.png

3MeTe9D.png

rZqms5i.png

Last edited:
Is curse of monkey island worth playing? Its the only one besides the ps2 ive not played.
Personally, I don't like the cartoony direction it took, but it's a top-notch adventure game.

For me it goes Secret > LeChuck's Revenge == Tales >>> Curse >>>>>>>> Escape

I need to pre order a physical edition ASAP! The trailer was so emotional with the old scenes and the music... I wish they release the other games eventually

I wish the og games were available on the Switch. I want to try the series, but I'm not starting with this one.

I wish the og games were available on the Switch. I want to try the series, but I'm not starting with this one.
If you're not allergic to PC gaming I think the whole series is on sale currently in Steam and GOG's summer sales

Quoted by: Leo
I don't even have a PC at home :(
Well hopefully Disney gets off their butts and commissions ports of the games to modern systems, because this is the best opportunity they're going to have to get people to buy them.

Any comments on whether, story-wise, it would be ok to jump into this one without playing the two prequels?

EDIT: Regarding the Ron Gilbert situation, fans can be an absurdly toxic bunch. That's inexcusable behavior.

The artstyle is really great, and I appreciate the initiative to go for a new style.

One thing I don't quite get with this game is that, yes it's set after the second game, but is it of a splintered continuity (albeit with references to "future" entries) or a game that does not contradict the "future" entries?

Thank you for reading.

The artstyle is really great, and I appreciate the initiative to go for a new style.

One thing I don't quite get with this game is that, yes it's set after the second game, but is it of a splintered continuity (albeit with references to "future" entries) or a game that does not contradict the "future" entries?

Thank you for reading.
The latter. Ron said the game is not going to retcon MI3-4-5, albeit there might be some small continuity errors.

Btw, we don't know if the game is really set between MI2 and MI3. We know that the game starts at the very end of MI2... but perhaps it's just a flashback and most of the game is in the present? Who knows.
Any comments on whether, story-wise, it would be ok to jump into this one without playing the two prequels?

EDIT: Regarding the Ron Gilbert situation, fans can be an absurdly toxic bunch. That's inexcusable behavior.
Ron said this is not a throwback game for older fans, it's a new Monkey Island for new and older players alike. Historically, the Monkey Island games have always had self-contained stories.

I LOVE the first game. Had it for Sega CD back in the 90's and currently have it installed on my Vita and did a replay of it. Sega CD version was awesome minus the long loading, but the music made it worth it.

I have never played the second one since it never came out for Sega CD, so now I have to figure out a way to play it before this releases.

I LOVE the first game. Had it for Sega CD back in the 90's and currently have it installed on my Vita and did a replay of it. Sega CD version was awesome minus the long loading, but the music made it worth it.

I have never played the second one since it never came out for Sega CD, so now I have to figure out a way to play it before this releases.
Google "Monkey Island 2 Ultimate Talkie Edition". It's a fan mod of the original MI2, including the dub of 2010 Special Edition. You can play it with ScummVM on... well, pretty much everything.

The other option is the Special Edition itself, which is still available on Xbox and Steam. Personally, I don't like the new graphics, but you can switch to the classic style.

Btw, the Sega CD version was the one played by Dominique Armato, aka the voice actor of Guybrush himself!

that's awful...
Gamers: "Man, that backlash to Wind Waker's artstyle twenty years ago sure looks stupid in retrospect, right?"

Also Gamers: "The new Monkey Island has a different art style, fuck Ron Gilbert, fuck the developers, fuck everyone you absolute hacks!!!"

Google "Monkey Island 2 Ultimate Talkie Edition". It's a fan mod of the original MI2, including the dub of 2010 Special Edition. You can play it with ScummVM on... well, pretty much everything.

The other option is the Special Edition itself, which is still available on Xbox and Steam. Personally, I don't like the new graphics, but you can switch to the classic style.

Btw, the Sega CD version was the one played by Dominique Armato, aka the voice actor of Guybrush himself!
should be in switch, Double Fine only ported Grim Fandango god knows why. Full Throttle, Day of The Tentacle and monkey 1 and 2 remasters are all missing.

How is Thimbleweed Park? All these news has me itching for a point and click adventure game. I have Jenny Leclue in the backlog right which I may bust out this weekend as well.

"Fans" getting all toxic about the art direction is really shitty. It didn't even cross my mind, loved the look of the trailer. And the song they used too

Seriously already? They were already so terrible the creator of the series had to go radio silent?

Isn't available for free download in the Lucas Arts Archives?

It may be the nostalgia talking, but this looks absolutely lovely.

How is Thimbleweed Park? All these news has me itching for a point and click adventure game. I have Jenny Leclue in the backlog right which I may bust out this weekend as well.
More than two weeks late, but just in case: Thimbleweed Park mostly succeeds in being a charming and funny throwback to classic LucasArts adventures... but near the end of the game there is a twist that a lot of people absolutely hated. It didn't ruin the game to me, but it was a twist that I wasn't exactly enamored with either.

Agreed. Love the look personally. I think it’s fair for people to not like it and voice they don’t like it, as long as they aren’t douche bags about it. But I don’t know, I really like it!

In other news, Limited Run is doing Day of The Tentacle for PS4, Xbox, PC…. But no switch?! Wth

Last edited:
In other Ali assets news, Limited Run is doing Day of The Tentacle for PS4, Xbox, PC…. But no switch?! Wth
Out of all the classic LucasArts adventure games that Double Fine remastered for modern consoles, for some reason only Grim Fandango received a Switch port. Maybe the others will be ported at some point, who knows.

Out of all the classic LucasArts adventure games that Double Fine remastered for modern consoles, for some reason only Grim Fandango received a Switch port. Maybe the others will be ported at some point, who knows.
I just Tentacle and Maniac on Switch. And Monkey Island 1 - 3

More than two weeks late, but just in case: Thimbleweed Park mostly succeeds in being a charming and funny throwback to classic LucasArts adventures... but near the end of the game there is a twist that a lot of people absolutely hated. It didn't ruin the game to me, but it was a twist that I wasn't exactly enamored with either.
I finished playing Thimbleweed yesterday. It's the "A Link Between World" of classic Lucasfilm adventure games -- same DNA, but the people behind the game collected A LOT of experiences over the years and it shows -- everything is streamlined, which doesn't mean it is dumb -- rather, it is a fair game.

I loved the twist, btw. It's like... playable MI2 ending.

Pretty excited for this! I think the look is nice. I have the Special Edition of the first two on Xbox, I just need to shift into puzzle mode (and maybe find a good guide on my phone in case I space out too long) to catch up for Return.

OT: my username here was very nearly “mancomb seepgood.”

hey even if you don't like the new look it still looks better than the XBLA remake of the first game

Has Limited Run Games written all over it sadly.
But better than not at all.
Yeah, that fits; they did a physical run of Thimbleweed Park and they were also the ones that did those Monkey Island Anniversary editions.

I wonder if we'll get 1 and 2 in a few months, after this new game has revived a bit of interest

Way sooner than I expected, nice! So sad there’s no physical edition announced tho.

Back
Top Bottom