• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Return to Monkey Island announced for Switch and PC (UPDATE: out now!)

It has touchscreen support on Switch

Also 60 FPS which doesn't really matter for this type of game but still nice to have

Last edited:
Wow I wasn't expecting review scores that strong. Guess I'll be getting this sooner then I planned.

WOW this really snuck up on me! In my always wandering mind this was still a ways off lol. Glad to see it’s doing so well! Maybe I’ll still try to play Monkey 1&2 first

Where are the remakes of monkey 1 and 2?
Yeah I was kind of holding out hoping that these would get released on Switch before this came out since it’s been so long since I played them. Hopefully this game is still enjoyable If you don’t remember exactly what happened in the originals.

So any examples between Writer’s cut mode on/off?

For now I’ve gone with ON but I’m not sure because the pace was a bit off a couple times but I don’t even know if that the mode or the OFF option would be the same anyway.

Anyway, as I expected the art is much better when playing live, not great (for me) and not what I’d love it to be, but not that bad. It’s cute. Kids voices are a bit too much, grating-wise.

I also went with HIGH rendering mode, but even there it doesn’t explain the difference much?

So any examples between Writer’s cut mode on/off?

For now I’ve gone with ON but I’m not sure because the pace was a bit off a couple times but I don’t even know if that the mode or the OFF option would be the same anyway.

Anyway, as I expected the art is much better when playing live, not great (for me) and not what I’d love it to be, but not that bad. It’s cute. Kids voices are a bit too much, grating-wise.

I also went with HIGH rendering mode, but even there it doesn’t explain the difference much?

Not sure either on the writer's cut but there were at least a couple of instances were I felt the dialogue was dragging too much (a certain liability clause on part 1 for instance) and mayyybe we get a few more pointless dialogue choices?

The art style also grew on me, it's definitely unique and charming, but boy do I still dislike Guybrush's face. I think they dropped the ball on him, it feels overdesigned and I especially don't like the stubble, but It won't impact my enjoyment one bit anyway

Very happy about everything so far (although I am not entirely sold on what they did for the prologue) but puzzle-wise it seems to be on the easy side and as expected, removing the verb system does not allow for complex interactions (so far). It's basically finding objects and understanding where or whom to use them on.

Yeah I was kind of holding out hoping that these would get released on Switch before this came out since it’s been so long since I played them. Hopefully this game is still enjoyable If you don’t remember exactly what happened in the originals.

The originals can be played in any order, why wouldn't the new game? Also, there's a "scrapbook" feature that mentions persons/events/artifacts from the previous games.

Very happy about everything so far (although I am not entirely sold on what they did for the prologue) but puzzle-wise it seems to be on the easy side and as expected, removing the verb system does not allow for complex interactions (so far). It's basically finding objects and understanding where or whom to use them on.
Just to check: you didn't select the difficult puzzle option, right?

so, how the Switch version is running? is it any good? this is one of the game of my life, i'd like to play it on the go but not if it is too compromised.

Tim Shaffer would know, it was double fine who released them I think? At least the second one and all other Lucas arts games.

so, how the Switch version is running? is it any good? this is one of the game of my life, i'd like to play it on the go but not if it is too compromised.
It runs perfectly fine. Its 60 FPS and only a few "hickups" here and there. Controls are great.

I was surprised how good this game is. The last Point&Click I played was Thimbleweed Park and and it was okay, but Return to Monkey Island is outstanding in my opinion.

It runs perfectly fine. Its 60 FPS and only a few "hickups" here and there. Controls are great.

I was surprised how good this game is. The last Point&Click I played was Thimbleweed Park and and it was okay, but Return to Monkey Island is outstanding in my opinion.
Thanks! I'll buy It today. I'm sure the game Is Amazing, Is the Dream of a lifetime of a fantastic creative

Just to check: you didn't select the difficult puzzle option, right?
I did, or at least I remember doing that. Is there any way to check? 😅
Maybe I am just too used to how these games "think", but I went through part 1 like a breeze. I hope the difficulty, or even better the complexity, will ramp up a bit

The originals can be played in any order, why wouldn't the new game? Also, there's a "scrapbook" feature that mentions persons/events/artifacts from the previous games.
I caved and bought the game, the scrapbook is very much appreciated as a general refresher on the past games. It’s mostly for the injokes and references to previous games that I’m sure will be peppered through here that I wanted to play through 1 and 2 beforehand, but maybe I’ll save that for a series replay.

it’s also a surprisingly big hook as to what’s going on with the game timeline wise. I was under the impression this was immediately after Monkey Island 2, and indeed the beginning of the game seems to be doing this, but the scrapbook is referencing 3, 4, and 5 so I’m not sure what’s going on timeline wise?

I'd like to play it, but with the back catalogue unaccessible for me, I'll have to pass.

Playing on my Mac. Game's super charm and with an "elegant" design gently guiding the player.

I loved the humour and how it recontextualizes MI2 ending (and pretty much every continuity issues which plagued the series lol).

I caved and bought the game, the scrapbook is very much appreciated as a general refresher on the past games. It’s mostly for the injokes and references to previous games that I’m sure will be peppered through here that I wanted to play through 1 and 2 beforehand, but maybe I’ll save that for a series replay.

it’s also a surprisingly big hook as to what’s going on with the game timeline wise. I was under the impression this was immediately after Monkey Island 2, and indeed the beginning of the game seems to be doing this, but the scrapbook is referencing 3, 4, and 5 so I’m not sure what’s going on timeline wise?
The game itself is set after Tales and it references pretty much every MI game (including Escape!).
Day of the tentacle is on double fine site
After Lucasfilm was sold to Disney, Double Fine licensed Tim's previous games (with the help of Sony) for remasters. The SE of MI1 and MI2 were done before this deal by LucasArts on its own.

I mean, timeline wise
since Guybrush and Elaine are married it has to be after MI3. Then again LeChuck is in its zombie form and not in the demonic one he had by the end of MI3, although I don't remember a lot of what happened in 4 and 5. It seems to have a very loose continuity, and they seemed to address it with the angle of Guybrush telling his adventures with some "liberties"

I mean, timeline wise
since Guybrush and Elaine are married it has to be after MI3. Then again LeChuck is in its zombie form and not in the demonic one he had by the end of MI3, although I don't remember a lot of what happened in 4 and 5. It seems to have a very loose continuity, and they seemed to address it with the angle of Guybrush telling his adventures with some "liberties"
They acknowledge Escape
when talking to Carla -- Guybrush says he got her a "government job", which happened in Escape

LeChuck pretty much reverted to its zombie form after MI4 and before MI5 (they never explained how).

I wouldn't worry too much about the continuity. The game and the scrapbook explain everything you need to know.

EDIT: At one point Guybrush also references
being swallowed by a manatee
Which happened in Tales.

Last edited:
FWIW, the new game doesn't require knowledge of the old ones in any way.
I've been told, but it's a pet peeve of mine to play games in order, especially since they're all supposed to be great and I would play them all anyway.

Well to be fair, playing this knowing all the locations, characters and references (there's obviously a ton from MI1 an some from MI2) it's half of the fun. I am sure it's still enjoyable as a stand alone, but it's definitely part of a bigger picture

Back
Top Bottom