• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic Retro Gaming on Switch |ST| True Preservation

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
Some first sales from Hamster this week. 50% off

Metal Slug 5
King of Fighters 2002
Ikari Warriors
World Heroes Perfect
Big Tournment Gold
Athena
Sasuke Vs Commander

Old sales returning

Shock Troopers
King of The Monsters
Alpha Mission II

Dash Kappei

ARCADE FIRE 🕹 🔥
Aka Katana Shin is coming to NSW via City Connection/Cave both digital and physical in Japan, late December.
Awesome!

I wish Dangun Feveron, Ketsui and Battle Garegga (I know that for the latter, M2 said the Switch isn’t up to the task apparently)

ACA Metrocross has seemingly disappeared from the eShop (EU). I’m pissed because I hadn’t bought it yet :-/

Dash Kappei

ARCADE FIRE 🕹 🔥
Ugh, the ACA of the week is another already released Pac-Man game (Pac & Pal) l. Which pisses me off not only because I’m looking forward all week to the time the Japanese eShop is the first eShop to put the new ACA out every Wednesday. But also because I have it on PM+, costing way less, but then it doesn’t idiotically support TATE like the ACA does.

In the meantime I ended up grabbing ACA Metrocross (still MIA in EU+ eShops) and the US+/JPN-exclusive ACA Neo-Geo Ninja Commando off the japanese eShop. Hopefully the latter will make it over one day (Like Psikyo’s 199X did after 3 years) but I wasn’t hopeful, since previous exclusive ACAs always stayed that way (ACA Wonderboy exclusive to JPN PSN).

Anyway, it’s a bummer this thread isn’t the least bit active because the Switch is pretty much best console there ever was as far as retro gaming (official releases obv.) is concerned! And I know it’s popular, because I see many on my friends list playing these games! Come hang :)

Last edited:
Ugh, the ACA of the week is another already released Pac-Man game (Pac & Pal) l. Which pisses me off not only because I’m looking forward all week to the time the Japanese eShop is the first eShop to put the new ACA out every Wednesday. But also because I have it on PM+, costing way less, but then it doesn’t idiotically support TATE like the ACA does.

In the meantime I ended up grabbing ACA Metrocross (still MIA in EU+ eShops) and the JPN-exclusive ACA Neo-Geo Ninja Commando off the japanese eShop. Hopefully the latter will make it over one day (Like Psikyo’s 199X did after 3 years) but I wasn’t hopeful, since previous exclusive ACAs always stayed that way (ACA Wonderboy exclusive to JPN PSN).

Anyway, it’s a bummer this thread isn’t the least bit active because the Switch is pretty much best console there ever was as far as retro gaming (official releases obv.) is concerned! And I know it’s popular, because I see many on my friends list playing these games! Come hang :)
? Ninja Commando isnt JP exclusive, I own it and it came to the US store eons ago, day and date. The only missing ACA Neogeo games are the Super Sidekicks series due to Hamster refusing to make needed edits to them like for Baseball Stars 2, thus just choosing to delist them instead, and they don't seem like they'll ever come back

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
August 2022 Releases

GAMETYPEO.PLATFORMDATEO.YEARCOLLECTION
Mega Man Battle & FightersPortNeo Geo Pocket Color08/04/222000
Dig DugPortArcade08/04/221982Arcade Archives
Thunderbolt IIPortSega Genesis08/04/221995Thunderbolt Collection
Gun & FrontierPortArcade08/12/221990Arcade Archives
MetrocrossPortArcade08/18/221985Arcade Archives
Wave Race 64PortNintendo 6408/19/221996Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online
Lair Land StoryPortPC08/19/222007
Yars: RechargedRevivalAtari 260008/23/221982
Super VolleyballPortArcade08/25/221989Arcade Archives
Alice’s Warped Wonderland: RecollectionRemakeMobile08/25/22 (Japan)2006
Pac-Man World Re-PacRemakePS108/26/221999
Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesPortArcade08/30/221989Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesPortNES08/30/221989Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The SewersPortGame Boy08/30/221991Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade GamePortNES08/30/221990Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical RescuePortGame Boy08/30/221993Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan ProjectPortNES08/30/221991Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in TimePortSNES08/30/221992Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot ClanPortGame Boy08/30/221990Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone HeistPortSega Genesis08/30/221992Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament FightersPortSNES08/30/221993Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament FightersPortSega Genesis08/30/221993Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament FightersPortNES08/30/221994Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in TimePortArcade08/30/221991Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection
La Pucelle: RagnarokPortPSP08/30/222009Prinny Presents NIS Classics Vol. 3
Rhapsody: A Musical AdventurePortPS108/30/221998Prinny Presents NIS Classics Vol. 3
Commandos 3 HDRemasterPC08/30/222003

Dash Kappei

ARCADE FIRE 🕹 🔥
? Ninja Commando isnt JP exclusive, I own it and it came to the US store eons ago, day and date. The only missing ACA Neogeo games are the Super Sidekicks series due to Hamster refusing to make needed edits to them like for Baseball Stars 2, thus just choosing to delist them instead, and they don't seem like they'll ever come back

My bad, I meant to say US+/JPN exclusive.
It was never released in EU+ territories.

Dash Kappei

ARCADE FIRE 🕹 🔥
which eShop is “fastest” to update with the new ACA release? Usually check the japanese one, basically a day earlier than EU eShops.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
which eShop is “fastest” to update with the new ACA release? Usually check the japanese one, basically a day earlier than EU eShops.

Surely, it's Japanese one.

You can see them earlier on Japanese game websites (Famitsu, Dengeki, 4gamer), where they announce it every Wednesday morning and Hamster twitter account retweets them.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
Hamster sales again this week. 50% off

First sale

The Ninja Warriors
Pirate Pete
Typhoon Gal

Old sales returning

Puzzle Bobble
Front Line
Time Tunnel

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
September 2022 Releases

Pac & PalPortArcade09/01/221983Arcade Archives
Champion WrestlerPortArcade09/08/221989Arcade Archives
Baby T-Rex (We're Back!)PortGame Boy09/08/221993Radical Rex (QUByte Classics)
Radical RexPortSega Genesis09/08/221994Radical Rex (QUByte Classics)
Radiant SilvergunRemasterArcade09/13/221998
XIIIRemakePC09/13/222003
RompersPortArcade09/15/221989Arcade Archives
Alisia DragoonPortSega Genesis09/16/221992Sega Genesis - Nintendo Switch Online
Beyond OasisPortSega Genesis09/16/221994Sega Genesis - Nintendo Switch Online
Earthworm JimPortSega Genesis09/16/221994Sega Genesis - Nintendo Switch Online
Return to Monkey IslandSequelPC09/19/221990
The Return of IshtarPortArcade09/22/221986Arcade Archives
Syd of ValisPortSega Genesis09/22/22 (Japan)1992Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection 2
Valis IV PortPC Engine CD09/22/22 (Japan)1991Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection 2
Valis: The Fantasm SoldierPortSega Genesis09/22/22 (Japan)1991Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from ZeroRemasterPSP09/27/222010
AssaultPortArcade09/29/221988Arcade Archives
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Shinyaku Last Bible IIPortMobile09/29/22 (Japan)2008G-MODE Archives+

Last edited:
I got hyped and bought Arkanoid Eternal Battle as soon as it came out. It feels pretty good for not having spinner controls and I like the look of it.

However, the online mode, Eternal Battle, consistently crashes for me after a minute or two. I contacted both Pastagames and Microids and they answered me pretty quickly that a patch is awaiting approval. So people might want to hold off getting the game until it’s working properly.

Played some more Arkanoid EB, and it’s really good!

Eternal Battle mode is working now, and amazing in concept imo. But there’s almost no one playing which is a shame.

The local VS mode is probably my best gaming experience this year 😲 So much fun!

The Retro mode (original Arkanoid) works well enough once you get into using analog properly. I would like to have some more display options though. Right now it just has that “looking at an arcade machine” perspective with blinking lights in the background and ambient sounds. I would like to have a clean full screen mode without any distractions or filters.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
October 2022 Releases

DariusPortArcade10/06/221986Arcade Archives
Touch DetectivePortDS10/06/22 (Japan)2006Touch Detective: Rina and the Funghi Case Files
Touch Detective 2 ½PortDS10/06/22 (Japan)2007Touch Detective: Rina and the Funghi Case Files
SagaiaPortGame Boy10/06/22 (Japan)1991
Chaos;Head NoahRemasterXbox 36010/07/222009
Kamiwaza: Way of the ThiefRemasterPS210/11/222006
PilotwingsPortNintendo 6410/13/221996Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online
Atari ManiaRemix10/13/22
Toy PopPortArcade10/13/221986Arcade Archives
TinheadPortSega Genesis10/13/221993
Izumi Incident File Vol.3: Yu Yado HenPortMobile10/13/22 (Japan)2003
Ultra Kaiju Monster RancherSequelPS110/19/221997
Alan Wake RemasteredRemasterXbox 36010/20/222010
Touki Denshou Angel EyesPortArcade10/20/221996Arcade Archives
ArkanoidRemasterArcade10/27/221986Arkanoid: Eternal Battle
OrdynePortArcade10/27/221988Arcade Archives

Atari 50 the Anniversary Celebration was released yesterday and looks pretty great. It’s a shame a lot of the later arcade output is missing, but it seems really ambitious. More like an interactive documentary than a game collection really.

Some really positive reviews on Youtube:

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Retrobot
Suprised appearance on the US eShop for the next week. Blade of Darkness.
If you like Souls-like games and Retro, probably it's the closest game that can join both terms.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/Him
huh, i'm pretty sure this is the first console release from SNEG. Even though Qubic Games (probably general arcade as well, since they've done plenty of console ports prior to this.) seems to be handling the porting side, SNEG is still listed in the copyright info.

Pronouns
He/Him
If you like Souls-like games and Retro, probably it's the closest game that can join both terms.

I remember wanting this when it released, and then i forgot.

There's a demo on Steam, i'll try it before thinking on shelling money for it, but i still want the game.

Madre de dios that's an unexpected remaster.
Severance Blade of Darkness was an extremely ambitious (real time shadows, anatomy based combat system, physics driven gameplay, interaction with a lot of objects) action-adventure game developed by a relatively unknown and small dev team from Spain and released two decades ago.
A cult classic from a time when PC gaming still felt separated from Console gaming and rightfully considered by the few that are aware of it as the spiritual grandfather of the "Souls" genre.

I remember wanting this when it released, and then i forgot.
I waited and waited and then my PC specs weren't good enough.

Top Bottom