• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Resident Evil |ST| sWItchY... tAstY (Update: Village, 2 & 3 coming to Switch (Cloud)

Hmmm from what I remember I never had to tick an option or anything. I just had to make my way to the first item box and all the gear was in there. It might be you need to start a new save to get them to pop? In the main menu can you see the options to select the extra modes like tofu and stuff?
I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure I have those modes. I backed out to the main menu and got a notification that I had unlocked some modes and the knife.

It would be a shame to have to start over. But I guess it wouldn't take that long to get back to where I am?

Wonder if Capcom will allow users of the cloud versions to upgrade to native Drake versions when the ports inevitably arrive.

I'd like to know if Resident Evil Revelation 1&2 are worth playing on the Switch ? I guess they're more streamlined, more 'mission-based' than RE2R ?
At least for RE Rev 2, yup, the story literally follows an episodic format. You have an objective per episode which you aim to fulfill. The story is kinda more in line with splatterhouse pulp, which I enjoyed.

I’d say RE Rev 2 was better than RE5 and RE6 for me. The Raid mode is fantastic too.

I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure I have those modes. I backed out to the main menu and got a notification that I had unlocked some modes and the knife.

It would be a shame to have to start over. But I guess it wouldn't take that long to get back to where I am?

Seems silly that you would need to start over but maybe it’s a weird save thing where it needs to recognise the items in your inventory from the start? If you did start over it defo wouldn’t take long to get back to the first boss bit especially if you equipped the unlimited ammo rocket launcher haha

EDIT: I had a quick look online and people seem to think unlocks would all to all saves, not just a new game. Maybe try loading your save file again and get to an item box and see what happens?

Seems silly that you would need to start over but maybe it’s a weird save thing where it needs to recognise the items in your inventory from the start? If you did start over it defo wouldn’t take long to get back to the first boss bit especially if you equipped the unlimited ammo rocket launcher haha

EDIT: I had a quick look online and people seem to think unlocks would all to all saves, not just a new game. Maybe try loading your save file again and get to an item box and see what happens?
So the issue was I didn’t download the DLC. Imagine that. The important thing is, I have the unlimited ammo weapons like a dirty dirty cheater and/or wimp.

I made it out of the police station, which I feel like is a huge accomplishment. The assault rifle really trivializes regular zombies, and it makes dealing with Mr. X actually not that bad. But even with these unlimited ammo guns and my walkthrough, I’m still feeling all tense and stressed after escaping the station. I don’t think I could do this without all this help.

So the issue was I didn’t download the DLC. Imagine that. The important thing is, I have the unlimited ammo weapons like a dirty dirty cheater and/or wimp.

I made it out of the police station, which I feel like is a huge accomplishment. The assault rifle really trivializes regular zombies, and it makes dealing with Mr. X actually not that bad. But even with these unlimited ammo guns and my walkthrough, I’m still feeling all tense and stressed after escaping the station. I don’t think I could do this without all this help.

Glad it worked! The parts that made it stressful for me was the resource management and the fact you could run out of ammo if not careful. Maybe the more you delve into it now the more relaxed you’ll become knowing you haven’t got to worry about any lack of ammo situations. Equip the rocket launcher as well and feel like a bad ass haha.

If you decide to play RE3 and RE8 in the future, I’m pretty sure both of those have the same ‘unlock all’ DLC add on packs you can buy.

I got through Leon’s story!!! I’m so proud of myself. This game is really damn scary. Especially the police station! Once you get to the sewers it gets a bit less scary thankfully, then the lab was hardly scary at all. But the police station is brutal, and you’re there the longest.

Now I’m gonna do Claire’s second run. I don’t have it in me to beat the game all four times, but I’ll do Claire B to get a fuller picture of the story. Then I can say that I’ve finished RE2R! Finished, not beat, because I’m still a huge baby who is using cheats. But still!

Yeah the police station is the scariest in terms of atmosphere, awesome that you got through it!

Claire’s campaign is pretty fun, too.

I’m currently 3/4 through my Leon replay, just got to NEST. The sewers were nowhere near as bad as I remembered them being; they obviously aren’t anywhere close to RPD in terms of quality, but I still had a fun time. The Mr. X hunt in the RPD was also way shorter than I thought it would be, maybe I just got more stuff done before going to the underground facility this time around.

Boss fights aside, this game is just as fun as I remember it being. Never played Claire’s campaign, so I’m looking forward to doing that before getting into RE3.

Boss fights aside, this game is just as fun as I remember it being. Never played Claire’s campaign, so I’m looking forward to doing that before getting into RE3.
I found the boss fights to be incredibly clunky. Your character is basically a lumbering tank in RE2R. It's nice that they found a way to get tank controls into the remake without actually putting tank controls in the game!

RE3R looks like it'll be way better in that regard. Or at least I hope so. The fact that there is a dodge probably helps with that clunky feeling I'm sure.

I'd like to know if Resident Evil Revelation 1&2 are worth playing on the Switch ? I guess they're more streamlined, more 'mission-based' than RE2R ?
Revelations 1 runs quite well on the Switch, solid 60 iirc and looks decent for an upgraded 3ds game.

As for the actual game, it’s ok. Not as tight as a mainline game but I believe it mostly sticks to the regular formula of exploring a large space (cruise ship in this case). Unfortunately I found the ship to be somewhat drab, lots of grey metal walls. I don’t believe it was mission based though I also don’t think the ship was interconnected like RE2R - just kinda a straight forward action game.

Love that Mr. X shows up earlier in 2nd run, made the RPD a lot more fun. Dude was everywhere, which I honestly found hilarious.
You’re doing great!

I think I actually might put off the second run for awhile. The thought of going through the RPD again fills me with dread and anxiety. Maybe someday I’ll play RE2R again, but it’s so damn stressful!

Does playing RE on easy mode usually give enough ammo to kill most enemies?

I started Zero and I've finished the train and I think I have like over 200 handgun ammo. I'm playing on easy and using a guide (I'M SORRY) but I've noticed that since enemies have less health and I have a fair amount of ammo, a part of me would like to go back to playing without a guide if I can afford to kill most (all...? PLEASE) enemies.

I started REmake without a guide but once I saw that I had played for over 10 hours and I was still in the mansion, I started to dread having to play for 10 more hours since I knew I wasn't halfway through the game yet lol.

I'm enjoying Zero a lot so far and a part of me sort of wants to continue playing without a guide, especially since I don't find it as scary as REmake and I don't have to worry about Crimson Heads...

The sewers were nowhere near as bad as I remembered them being; they obviously aren’t anywhere close to RPD in terms of quality, but I still had a fun time.
I take it back. Fuck the sewers, and fuck the G.

Replaying RE2 again definitely helped contextualize my feelings for the game a bit more; I'm just as positive on the game as I remember being when I first played it, but now I actually understand why I liked it so much, and what parts of the game hold it back for me. The RPD is in a league of its own in terms of quality, to the point where I'll probably just stop once I leave the parking garage in any future playthroughs. The sewers and NEST aren't outright terrible, but they just don't come close to the atmosphere and interconnected pathways of the RPD, and Mr. X only elevates it even higher while the late-game bosses really drag down the second half of the game. I generally find that action-adventure games are at their best when they split the difference between the two genres, but RE2 is just so much better when it leans into the adventure aspect over more linear action segments.

Hell, I also have a better understanding of why I wasn't as high on RE3, given that it also leans more into the action side of things. Still planning on replaying it, because I do remember it being better than the sewers and NEST, but having that additional context going in will probably help a bit when it comes to sorting out my overall thoughts on these games.

Does playing RE on easy mode usually give enough ammo to kill most enemies?
For RE Zero specifically, I played without a guide on Easy and I don’t think I had to pay much attention to my ammo. RE Zero is just a tough nut to crack, in general.

The RPD is in a league of its own in terms of quality, to the point where I'll probably just stop once I leave the parking garage in any future playthroughs.
RPD is sooo good. I’ve been looking into mods and randomizers to play around with it. Item randomizers in particular can be really stressful haha.

That's a wrap on RE3, and my opinion has definitely improved on it a touch after playing it right after RE2. It extrapolates on the linear action design of the sewers and NEST, fully understanding what the strengths of those areas were and playing into them by tweaking a few things. The slower, more methodical control scheme of RE2 is a perfect fit for the RPD, but it struggled big time once it started to punch above its pay grade in terms of difficulty and mobility. RE3 provides more mobility in exchange for fewer crafting options and inventory space, which is balanced much better for the more intensive locations Jill and Carlos travel through. Boss fights are also much better: they aren't perfect, but they're balanced much better and don't feel like a chore to finish.

With that being said, there's still some obvious drawbacks that have been well documented by this point. After the brilliance of Mr. X, reducing Nemesis to a scripted boss is pretty lame. It wouldn't have worked with the linear design of RE3's locations, but some more interconnectivity in exchange for a more dangerous Nemesis is a tradeoff I'd gladly take. The length of the game is also a big issue; my playthrough clocked in at under 5 hours, and I was taking my time. Carlos in particular really should've gotten another gameplay segment, which is unfortunate because he's the most unique playable character of the REmake duology.

These remakes, 2 and 3 specifically, are hard for me to judge. I'm a lifelong RE fan, as in I've been playing these games since 1 released on the Playstation. RE 2 remake I thought was fantastic. It did remove some content, and the way that the two playthroughs, Leon A and Claire B, or vice versa, connect to each other is vastly better on the PS1 game, I still thought the remake stayed true to the vision of the original and I was very happy with the end game.

RE3 remake however is one of my most disappointing games of all time. They removed so much content, change the story in ways that I didn't feel was necessary, and made some characters (i.e. Nemesis) a shadow of what they were. To me, the original RE3 is so much better it's not even funny.

Having said that though, if this is your first experience with the series, you won't have my problems. And the originals aren't the easiest games to get into anymore. Tank controls definitely are not for everyone. I love em, but it takes a lot of time to get used to it. I've had almost 20 years lol. Damn I'm old. My complaints about the remake are purely based on me being a hardcore fan. The game in and of itself is fine.

RE4 remake looks amazing! I wish they would do Code Veronica instead as that is the real RE3, but now we're getting super nerdy. My kind of nerdy.

Its interesting to see that many people believe RE 3’s length seems to be a problem, but I actually think it’s one of its biggest strengths.

Yes, you can argue that you don’t spend a lot of time in Jill’s very bogus Raccoon City adventure and sure, you would have liked more, but due to its short runtime RE 3 is actually very replayable. The game is very to the point and because of this the game’s pacing is quite good, which made me complete the game like six times over. That doesn’t happen a lot anymore.

Now reducing the importance of Nemesis (especially with the upgrade Mr X had in 2) was a drag, because the moments with him were pretty cool. Plus the game was introduced as a remake, but t felt more like a reimagining. While it stayed true-ish to the original, it did cut some corners like the clocktower.

Its interesting to see that many people believe RE 3’s length seems to be a problem, but I actually think it’s one of its biggest strengths.

Yes, you can argue that you don’t spend a lot of time in Jill’s very bogus Raccoon City adventure and sure, you would have liked more, but due to its short runtime RE 3 is actually very replayable. The game is very to the point and because of this the game’s pacing is quite good, which made me complete the game like six times over. That doesn’t happen a lot anymore.

Now reducing the importance of Nemesis (especially with the upgrade Mr X had in 2) was a drag, because the moments with him were pretty cool. Plus the game was introduced as a remake, but t felt more like a reimagining. While it stayed true-ish to the original, it did cut some corners like the clocktower.
It's not about the length of the game for me. I thought the length was fine. The original is a short game as well. It's just how much content was missing. Whole sections were missing, boss fights were missing, and I really don't know what Capcom has against spiders any more. That one is just weird to me. Again, this is just comparing the original to the remake. Getting super nerdy here, but the worst part for me was messing with the ending. Where the hell did Barry go? You can't just leave the most important RE character out of the story like that. Yes, I'm half joking, but stuff like that being changed and things missing are the biggest problems I have with the game.

On the positive side though, I thought the character redesigns were great. I always just thought Carlos was ok. Just kind of there. But he's great in the remake. I think he was playable a little too much in the remake, but that's part of the changes and missing content complaints I have.

The easiest way I can describe my feelings for 3, is that it's not a bad game. Far from it. It's just disappointing. And honestly that might be worse then being a bad game. Like when someone says, I'm not mad, just disappointed. That's me to RE3 remake.

Can’t say I really agree. I don’t have any issues with inherently shorter games; the 5 hour runtime doesn’t bother me on its own. My problem is that the game feels incomplete. Carlos feels like a completely wasted character from a gameplay perspective, and multiple segments end far too soon. If anything, I'd argue that the pacing is too fast.

When it comes to future RE replays, I'd much rather just go back to the RPD in RE2 and stop once I finish than play RE3 again, because it's paced so much better and has more substance to boot.

Lately I've been on a little bit of a Resident Evil kick. Until a few years ago, I never managed to get into the series. I tried the first game several times (PS1 and the remaster) but it never clicked. Someone told me to try VII as it was a soft reboot, and I'm glad that I did. As much as I hate how scary it was (I play these games with the lights on and I will not apologize), it was the perfect starting point for me. My favorite aspect of the series is searching locations and unlocking sections throughout the mazes. So I ended up playing these games as a result.

Resident Evil VII (PS4)- As I mentioned, it was a great game beginning to end. The first 1/3 of the game in the house was downright terrifying.
Resident Evil Village (PS5)- Again, the opening was pretty scary (I'm pretty sure that I played the demo a half a dozen times). It becomes more action-based later on, but it was still a fun time.
Resident Evil 1 Remaster (PS4)- Ok, so I finally buckled down and played through this game early last year. Movement controls aside, it was nice to finally play this classic that started it all.

So fast forward to a couple of months ago. I started playing through the more recent stuff.

Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS5)- Outside of VII, this is easily my favorite RE game right now. Normally I am not a big fan of double campaigns, but it was handled really well here. The atmosphere was downright scary. I'm talking me hiding in the photo room because I can hear Mr. X's footsteps right outside scary. That mofo did a number on me. I'm normally not a graphics guy, but every inch of this game was gorgeous. Seeing how both campaigns connected by the end was cool.

Resident Evil 3 Remake (PS5)- I understand that for fans of the original games, this remake isn't as beloved as the one mentioned above. Since I never played the original version I cannot compare them. Going off this game, I did like it but not as much as 2 Remake. Getting to travel through Raccoon City was neat, but it went by fast. I didn't even get to finish searching every area before the story moved me onto the next section. It felt like Nemesis was too OP so exploring wasn't really an option anyway. So while the game was much shorter than the other ones I played, it was a good romp.

Resident Evil 0 Remaster (PC)- I finished this one last week. I ran into some of the same issues as RE1 with the movement controls. It is definitely a product of yester-year. That said, I thought that the team up concept was really cool. Getting Rebecca's origin story was nice. I wouldn't mind it if Capcom gave this the full remake treatment that 2 and 3 got.

So going forward, I still have to play 4, 5, and 6. I was hoping to get RE4 Remake for $20 this BF, but that doesn't seem to be likely. I'm not too bummed. I need a small break from the series. Also, I'm not sure which spin-offs are cannon so I'll probably dabble with any that are. The good news is that I have plenty of time to be fully caught up before RE 9 comes out.

Lately I've been on a little bit of a Resident Evil kick. Until a few years ago, I never managed to get into the series. I tried the first game several times (PS1 and the remaster) but it never clicked. Someone told me to try VII as it was a soft reboot, and I'm glad that I did. As much as I hate how scary it was (I play these games with the lights on and I will not apologize), it was the perfect starting point for me. My favorite aspect of the series is searching locations and unlocking sections throughout the mazes. So I ended up playing these games as a result.

Resident Evil VII (PS4)- As I mentioned, it was a great game beginning to end. The first 1/3 of the game in the house was downright terrifying.
Resident Evil Village (PS5)- Again, the opening was pretty scary (I'm pretty sure that I played the demo a half a dozen times). It becomes more action-based later on, but it was still a fun time.
Resident Evil 1 Remaster (PS4)- Ok, so I finally buckled down and played through this game early last year. Movement controls aside, it was nice to finally play this classic that started it all.

So fast forward to a couple of months ago. I started playing through the more recent stuff.

Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS5)- Outside of VII, this is easily my favorite RE game right now. Normally I am not a big fan of double campaigns, but it was handled really well here. The atmosphere was downright scary. I'm talking me hiding in the photo room because I can hear Mr. X's footsteps right outside scary. That mofo did a number on me. I'm normally not a graphics guy, but every inch of this game was gorgeous. Seeing how both campaigns connected by the end was cool.

Resident Evil 3 Remake (PS5)- I understand that for fans of the original games, this remake isn't as beloved as the one mentioned above. Since I never played the original version I cannot compare them. Going off this game, I did like it but not as much as 2 Remake. Getting to travel through Raccoon City was neat, but it went by fast. I didn't even get to finish searching every area before the story moved me onto the next section. It felt like Nemesis was too OP so exploring wasn't really an option anyway. So while the game was much shorter than the other ones I played, it was a good romp.

Resident Evil 0 Remaster (PC)- I finished this one last week. I ran into some of the same issues as RE1 with the movement controls. It is definitely a product of yester-year. That said, I thought that the team up concept was really cool. Getting Rebecca's origin story was nice. I wouldn't mind it if Capcom gave this the full remake treatment that 2 and 3 got.

So going forward, I still have to play 4, 5, and 6. I was hoping to get RE4 Remake for $20 this BF, but that doesn't seem to be likely. I'm not too bummed. I need a small break from the series. Also, I'm not sure which spin-offs are cannon so I'll probably dabble with any that are. The good news is that I have plenty of time to be fully caught up before RE 9 comes out.
Best Buy has 5 and 6 on sale digitally right now!

Back
Top Bottom