• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Resident Evil |ST| sWItchY... tAstY (Update: Village, 2 & 3 coming to Switch (Cloud)

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him

Welcom my dear Fami's, it is time to delve further into the horror. Let's talk about a certain terrible event set at the end of the nineties of the last century. Somewhere in midwestern America, in a town called Raccoon City was faced with shocking events. In the area of the Arklay Mountains, a forest surrounding the city, bizarre events were reported. People were hearing about attacks in which people were murdered... but it did not stop there. News broke of people (Hikers out of state, Raccoon City residents) being eaten by their attackers, as victims were found with bite marks and more. While the police department did not find anything during their investigations, the city deployed their special taskforce, S.T.A.R.S. Alpha squad and Bravo squad (Special Tactics and Rescue Service) to investigate the murders. And on that faithful day, the 24th of July 1998, all hell broke loose. After Bravo Squad could not be reached anymore, Alpha Squad started a search for their team mates. But what Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine found while searching Arklay was something they never thought to be real. As a team mate was mauled by a seemingly decaying bunch of dogs, they had to run for their lives. During their escape they come across a mansion, which they flee into. Little did they know that this building would change their lives forever...

The Early years

And so Resident Evil was born. Initially started as a new version of the NES game Sweet Home Capcom, went through several development stages with the game before Resident Evil finally released on March 22nd 1996 on PlayStation. It became a breakout hit for Capcom and rising star Shinji Mikami as people were extremely impressed with the intro, the 3D graphics, the creepy atmosphere and ofcourse the many quotable lines like "You were almost a Jill sandwich!". But a horror game like... we have never seen such a thing! With the orignal game being a massive hit, the sequel came out abut two years later; Resident Evil 2 introduced Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield who entered Raccoon City in September of 1998, not knowing the city was succumbing to a viral outbreak turning its citizens in zombies. The game was an even bigger succes as people thought the game was an even bigger improvement over the original. Capcom kept putting out new games in the series, with a new mainline game in the series heading to Sega's next gen machine the Dreamcast. A new spin-off was heading to the PlayStation. As Sony had a contract with Capcom that the next game in the series should be a numbered one, the spin-off turned into Resident Evil 3, detailing the last days of Jill Valentine in Raccoon City and her desperate escape of the B.O.W. weapon Nemesis. The Dreamcast game turned into Code Veronica, a new game starring Claire Redfield in search of her brother Chris, but that ends badly for her. Something about weird twins.. Yuck.

The Nintendo years

As Shinji Mikami, the series creator became more frustrated with Sony and him having some credit with the Capcom higher ups, he was open to give the series a new home apart from PlayStation. After Microsoft botched a talk with him, it was Nintendo who swooped in with Shigeru Miyamoto. Nintendo and Mikami came to an agreement, which surprised many; Resident Evil would appear exclusively on Nintendo's new machine, the Gamecube. Better yet, the happy purple cube became the place for horror enthousiasts as Luigi went hunting for ghosts and people were experiencing some weird stuff in Eternal Darkness. So to start Nintendo fans with the series, a full remake of the original Resident Evil game came to the Cube and introduced a revamped mansion with about seventy percent new content. And the frightning, yet tragic Lisa Trevor. As an added boon the N64 bound Resident Evil Zero was heading to the Gamecube as well. The entire series was ported to the machine, but the magnum opus of Shinji Mikami had yet to come; after a troubled development (the original trailer and the hookman version of the game never came out) Resident Evil 4 hit the scene and changed the third person genre forever. To this day it is still one of the best games ever made. While Nintendo was happy with such a high profile series on their system, Capcom higer ups weren't so happy. RE 4's long development time and consts needed to be earned back. While Mikami essentially said that he would behead himself before porting over the game to the PS2, but it still happened. Thus marked the ending of an era; Resident Evil being exclusive to Nintendo systems and Shinji Mikami's involvement with Capcom, as he would leave after Clover Studios was shut down.

The oh man, I have no idea what I'm doing years

With the series in the limelight again because of the phenomenal fourth installment, Capcom issued the next chapter for the series; in Resident Evil 5 we see Chris Redfield return and he's heading to Africa to investigate virus acitivity. Him and his new partner Sheva Alomar get more than they bargained for. It marks the first Resident Evil in which players can play in co-op together and that was not met with roaring enthousiasm. The A.I. would get in the way. and you would shoot them by accident. But it marked another problem for the series, as fans and newcomers alike thought that the action was overtaking the horror series more and more. Especially when Capcom was looking into expanding the series with more spin-offs like railshooters on Wii, a 3DS version of the Mercenaries minigame or ill-fated attempts like Operation Raccoon City. (Which btw, is so bad its laughable). While the 3DS did receive a new game in the form of Revelations, Capcom also introduced Resident Evil 6... which in fact was a giraffe givin- no stop that! Well, yeah, I guess. Its just a case of hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks.. With Resident Evil 6 getting a dreadful reception by critics and fans alike (except for weirdos) Capcom had to rethink what direction they would take with the series. In the meantime they did release a Revelations 2, which marked the first time players could take control of S.T.A.R.S. veteran Barry Burton!

And currently...

The series came back with a vengeance. In 2017 Capcom surprised everyone with Resident VII Biohazard where the game switched to a first person perspective and placed you in the inexperienced shoes of Ethan Winters. When heading to the southern states of America to find his girlfriend Mia, he encounters a creepy house inhabited by the twisted Baker family... and its a wild ride. Lauded as a return to its horror roots, fans were delighted with newest game in the series. But the fun didn't stop there. As we knew it to be in development, 2019 also marked the release of the Resident Evil 2 remake, which was absolutely hype. And no it did not stop there; in 2020 we even received a Resident Evil 3 remake and this year in May we also got to play the latest mainline installment in the series, Resident Evil Village (or Resident Evil VIIIage) where Ethan Winters is making friends in Eastern Europe with tall vampire ladies. The series is on all time high in terms of popularity. While the Switch is not getting the latest installments, Capcom has published the Resident Evil Remake, Zero, 4, Revelations, Revelations 2, Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 on the system.

That begs the question...

What are your memories of the series? Did you even play the games? Do you want to start with the series? Share it all here! The series even celebrated its 25th anniversary this year and here's hoping we get experience more as Capcom releases new installmentsof the series.

Latest news and rumours

1. There is a new Resident Evil movie in theaters now! The The trailer can be found here. In any case, that might be a rotten idea though.
2. Resident Evil 9 is in development, duh
3. A Resident Evil 4 remake is in development as well. New art has surfaced recently for Wesker. You can find the art here, but there are some troubling tidbits about Wesker's VA
4. And last but not least, after the big Capcom leak last year there seems to be a Switch exlusive Resident Evil in development as well. The source can be found here as well. Keep in mind, due to the Covid troubles its development could be delayed.

Last edited:
i remember i was such a stan. i used to post in a resident evil forum everyday. re3 was my first one and it made an impression on me until today.
i knew everything. played almost everything except things like Survivor Code Veronica and RE Game Boy Color, but I was planning to somehow.
i was all up to date on resident evil 5. there were some truly wild theories about what was it going to be about
then it released...

forgot anything about the series.
jk, i might remember, just need to brush up or to be reminded. but yeah, RE7 is awesome and the Revelation games too.

In my experience (Switch Versions)
Re0: load times on Switch suck big time. Sad because i actually love the game itself. (One of my faves)
Re1: Good version. Shares the same strenghts AND weaknesses of the other platforms.
Re4: amazing game. Good Port. I go back to play some mercs from Time to time.
Re5: hated the controls with passion. Uninstalled just because of that.
Re6: same as above.
Rev1: great Port. Hate those new 1hit ko enemies through.
Rev2: good I Guess? Mostly played raid lol. Load Times arent re0 Tier at least but could be better.

I wanna get into RE and I've already purchased a number of the titles but I'm such a scaredy cat... I made it like half an hour in REmake and the limited saves stress me out. Why did I buy RE7 lol.

RE:4 looks very good.

And it's being described as Survival Horror so that's very interesting. Hopefully RE:5 is next and it takes this approach.

Looks good but so did RE3 for a while. What is shown in the trailer is faithful though so I'll wait and see, pretty optimistic.

Ashley looks weird. I'm sure this will be a bastardization of 4 but I'm still interested to see what they do with it.

Also I'm being a weird nerd about it but it does kinda sadden me that people will play this remake instead of choosing to play the original. Not saying it'll be bad but it's clearly going to be a different game and the original is so so so good, but people look for excuses not to play it, because you can't move and shoot and the "controls are outdated", etc, whatever.

I really hope the Regenerators/Iron Maidens are in since they were the scariest enemies in OG RE4. The way they move and attack was so freaky.
And I hope U-3 and Verdugo are both still in...

Ashley looks weird. I'm sure this will be a bastardization of 4 but I'm still interested to see what they do with it.

Also I'm being a weird nerd about it but it does kinda sadden me that people will play this remake instead of choosing to play the original. Not saying it'll be bad but it's clearly going to be a different game and the original is so so so good, but people look for excuses not to play it, because you can't move and shoot and the "controls are outdated", etc, whatever.
Doesn’t matter which game it is, there are always going to be detractors who do not like certain aspects of it and will argue for the hell of it. For me OG RE 4 is still a pinnacle for me and a new remake will not change that.

However I am eager to try REmake 4 because it looks faithful for now. Can’t wait for updated versions of Verdugo, El
Gigante and more. And Man U-3.

I'm optimistic about it, but from what little we've seen of Leon's face, he looks a bit too young? Leon is supposed to be 27 in 4. I don't think they did enough aging up of the RE2 remake model. The voice is off too. I know it's Nick Apostolides (who did a fantastic job in RE2 remake, to be clear), but I'm just so used to Leon's manly OG 4 voice (Paul Mercier). I do hope they can convincingly convey the passage of time, because RE4 Leon was always a noticeably huge departure from who the character was in RE2.

I'm optimistic about it, but from what little we've seen of Leon's face, he looks a bit too young? Leon is supposed to be 27 in 4. I don't think they did enough aging up of the RE2 remake model. The voice is off too. I know it's Nick Apostolides (who did a fantastic job in RE2 remake, to be clear), but I'm just so used to Leon's manly OG 4 voice (Paul Mercier). I do hope they can convincingly convey the passage of time, because RE4 Leon was always a noticeably huge departure from who the character was in RE2.
People age differently.

I'm 33 and still look like I'm on my late teens.

People age differently.

I'm 33 and still look like I'm on my late teens.
Yeah, that's totally fair. I just want him looking mature, heh. Fits the character, or at least the OG 4 iteration of him. If they're going for a wholly original take (which it seems they are), though, I do suppose a new take on Leon comes with the territory, as well.

Yeah, that's totally fair. I just want him looking mature, heh. Fits the character, or at least the OG 4 iteration of him. If they're going for a wholly original take (which it seems they are), though, I do suppose a new take on Leon comes with the territory, as well.
I honestly never thought RE4 Leon looked mature.

RE6 Leon did start to show his age a little bit though.

The more I've looked at the trailer it seems fairly faithful? At least in terms of location, the village we saw seemed pretty similar in layout to the original unless I'm misremembering. Even the cutscenes though look like they're similar to the original with Leon in the car looking at the picture of Ashley. I'm sure it'll deviate but it seems to have more RE4 roots than RE3R or RE2R did for their original games.

I do have to say I am really excited for this, it could end up being really really cool.

By the same coin, this remake will no doubt lead a lot of folks to the original! With it being easily accessible across all platforms and even VR, so they can exist alongside each other.

Gonna buy RE4R for sure
Too bad we are not getting the Revelations 3 rumore for Switch on the other hand

I imagine Salazar will be more toned down. I imagine Salazar robo will be referenced, but he won’t move this time around.

It's funny we complained so long about games looking brown and gray but I think that super washed-out color palette actually helped sell the setting's grotesque-ness. The daylight in those few seconds of the village setting looked very saturated and sunny. Much different vibe.

I'll need to see more. But I'm more open to an RE4 remake than I was.

Don't know, but every RE game is on sale so I was gonna bite lol
Hahaha. Nice. I found some threads from a few years ago when they came out (three years now?! 2019!!) mainly on Era I think and some posters were saying the framerate was waaay better than the butchered sub-30 ones that DF found in the demos, particularly for 6

this was also rumored though? why does one negate the other?

As I explained in the other thread, I think timings dont align anymore, with RE4R being announced and with Switch entering its 6th year on the market

Hahaha. Nice. I found some threads from a few years ago when they came out (three years now?! 2019!!) mainly on Era I think and some posters were saying the framerate was waaay better than the butchered sub-30 ones that DF found in the demos, particularly for 6

I am probably going to buy at least Zero and 6, if you want to wait for a direct impression next week

Sales are up until the 15th

Last edited:
As I explained in the other thread, I think timings dont align anymore, with RE4R being announced and with Switch entering its 6th year on the market

I am probably going to buy at least Zero and 6, if you want to wait for a direct impression next week

Sales are up until the 15th
I can certainly wait! Did you experience the demo framerate?
Btw (sorry the double post) can we assume that RE4R will play like RE2R and RE3R in terms of camera and so on?
I think that’s safe. Unless they try to blend more of RE4 into the remake formula? Maybe stationary shoot stays? I doubt it though.

I can certainly wait! Did you experience the demo framerate?

I think that’s safe. Unless they try to blend more of RE4 into the remake formula? Maybe stationary shoot stays? I doubt it though.

Yes I tried both demo are everything (framerate and shioting controls) were inferior to the Switch versions of both Revelations games

Good about RE4R: I vastly prefer the Remake (2, 3...) approach to this brand

Yes I tried both demo are everything (framerate and shioting controls) were inferior to the Switch versions of both Revelations games

Good about RE4R: I vastly prefer the Remake (2, 3...) approach to this brand
Good to know. Haven’t played those demos yet but they sound rough. Hopeful for more positive impressions of the full release 🤞🏻

Finally got round to starting RE4 on pc with the HD Project thing. Really looking forward to replaying now since it's one of my favourite games.

Good to know. Haven’t played those demos yet but they sound rough. Hopeful for more positive impressions of the full release 🤞🏻
The games runs between 30 and 45 fps aprox, because they dont have the fps locked.

The revelations do have them locked, that's why they give the feeling of having a better FPS rate, when what really happens is that they have their cap locked at 30, so they don't have those oscillations between 30-45 fps.

The games runs between 30 and 45 fps aprox, because they dont have the fps locked.

The revelations do have them locked, that's why they give the feeling of having a better FPS rate, when what really happens is that they have their cap locked at 30, so they don't have those oscillations between 30-45 fps.
The Revelations games actually also target 60 on Switch

Downloading RE6 right now

It seems I have a problem with Revelations2

I bought it in HK with the Revelation 1 on cart, and 2 as code

I downloaded it with a US account, finding it available normally on my EU console with my normal account

But now I cant redownload it on my OLED where I have only my EU account

Any suggestion?

I tried the cloud demo of Village for shits and giggles, gotta say, I was kind of surprised it worked as well as it did.

Prefer native Ofcourse, but it wasn’t a bad experience at all

Back
Top Bottom